[Costuming] Cyborg updates power pack mounted... testing all extremities

Started by thegayhare, August 17, 2008, 12:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Ooh... sehr schwer mein Hare.

Sorry... couldn't resist the pun. Very cool looking. Can't wait to see more.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

WhiteFox

I'd go with flat gray outfit. More emotionless then navy blue, and camo would distract from the cooler parts of the costume.

My 2c.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

thegayhare

Quote from: Jairus on August 31, 2008, 04:01:35 PM

Very heavily mine Hare?  I'm not sure I get it

Sorry

If anyone wants to check out my arm I did a video to show the range of movement I get from the arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpfZ5JF4_o

sorry about the quality my webcam is kinda crappy and I don't have anyone to hold my regular camera.

how does that look?  with the silver shoulder and black forearm

Gray could look very good, thats kinda why I leaned towards the urban camo pants.  but the solid gray could look good to.

Jairus

Quote from: thegayhare on August 31, 2008, 09:52:34 PM
Quote from: Jairus on August 31, 2008, 04:01:35 PM

Very heavily mine Hare?  I'm not sure I get it

Sorry
My mistake, actually. It's something of an old catchphrase of mine, "Sehr schwer Mein Herr...", which in my mangled knowledge translates to "Very cool my sir." I couldn't remember the German word for "Hare" so I just made an atrocious pun.

And considering that I can't stand the images I get from my webcam, I'm not going to complain about yours. Is the arm comfortable? If you're going to wear this for a long time, you don't want it to be rubbing against something or pinching somewhere?

thegayhare

Quote from: Jairus on August 31, 2008, 10:24:38 PM
[ Is the arm comfortable? If you're going to wear this for a long time, you don't want it to be rubbing against something or pinching somewhere?

It's pretty comfortable,  a little hot but I'm going to build a air cooling system and since as a cyborg I can have air hoses into strategic spots.

The only realy uncomfortable part is the pincer control.  It digs into my fingers but I've found wearing a leather glove under the arm solves that problem

thegayhare

Well I'm not sure I'm actualy going to build these extra hands but just in case I wanted to get them vetted by AC security

I've also asked them about the possibility of me wearing a side arm.  I'm thinking a modded nerf maverick (unloaded)

I'm thinking of a few catch phrases, since my head will have heavy metal it's not breaking the magic to talk, and I've got a good voice modulator I'm thinking of using in the build.

One I'm thinking of using is from Megus XLR
"I'll have your Jorbloks for that"

WhiteFox

"Hasta la vista." Every killer cyborg has to say it at least once.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

thegayhare

I'm thinking of downloading Megas there should be a few more choice phrases there... pluss I wanna make sure I pronounce jorblocks right.

Anyway  I just finalised the pieces that will become the cyborgs chest plate.

For the most part they are pieces of defunct computer shells although two parts are from a realy old flight stick. 

I've got some plans for these I'm going to do a silver base coat and some distressing for all the pieces then they will be bolted in places to a gray fleece vest,  I'm thinking of slitting the side along the cyborgs under arm for easier movement I'll run nylon straps across there and the undershirt will have a patch of fur sewn in place so you can see bunny parts under the armor.  The on the under side of the square chest plate with the slit in it I'm planning have a pocket for my voice modulator speaker.  I'll also drill a grill in the plastic so the sound carries better.  The chest peice with the round hole in it is going to be for an artificial heart.  I'm goign to place a clear dome in the gap and use a realistic prop heart.  I'm hopping with halloween comming up I'll be able to get a battery opperated one that beats.  I'll also add an red Led light for good measure but it should be a cool effect.  the last three pieces will be on my with a basic paint job and maybe some trim

thegayhare

Well I finished the basic build and paint on my eyes

My mic and sound amplification system needs a second coat of silver and when it's done I should have a number ot red and green LED's placed on the head set but I think it came out pretty good

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

I've got a little bit of an update on the costume

My first is a mod of a Nerf maverick

I talked to security at AC and they told me I may be allowed to carry it but I had to leave something brightly colored so it's still recognizably a toy and I didn't bring any ammo.   So I left the hunters orange parts

My paint job isn't the best but I think it's pretty cool

the other day my sis gave me a lift to good will so I could drop off some stuff.  afterwards we went in to see if there was anything good.  Me I spotted these for 3 bucks

I painted the plastic silver and the cloth black 

I'm a litttle worried about the logo.  I probably should have sanded them off like I did on the nerf gun

Zedd

WhiteFox

Actually, I think it looks more menacing with the orange then it would without.

thegayhare

Quote from: Fox LeBlanc on September 16, 2008, 11:28:38 PM

thanks and I think your right  the basic silver and black would be missing something with out it

Jairus

Quote from: thegayhare on September 17, 2008, 09:20:15 PM
Quote from: Fox LeBlanc on September 16, 2008, 11:28:38 PM

thanks and I think your right  the basic silver and black would be missing something with out it
Orange is one of nature's hazard marks... and a little extra color can really add to something dark.

Looks cool so far, thegayhare. Keep at it!

GabrielsThoughts

agreed it looks almost as good as the borg from the star trek experience.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

thanks everyone

I'm hoping to get the arm fully painted soon

I've tried distressing sample pieces of the silver armor and I wanted to get you folks opinions.

1 is the un distressed silver.

2 is a lightley sponge applied distressing

3 is a heavier brush applied sample

GabrielsThoughts

the silver will look kinda cheap, obvious, and fake,  if it's not don right. I'd look for other metallic colors of spray paint preferably something darker like green or black... I'd also disassemble it prior to painting, though I'm sure you already though of that. Silver would make a good primer though.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/1591141/

here is the first incarnation of my buzz saw arm...
I'm not sure it looks right. and I'm not talking about the fact that the paint needs some work (and it does) just something about it doesn't sit right.

Well as I said this is mark 1. my original plan to power the blade using a fan from a computer power supply failed miserably. none of the batteries I had on hand were strong enough to make it rotate. so when I battery wasn't strong enough I tried something stupid... a loud pop, a flash of light, a few wisps of smoke and the acrid smell of fried wiring later and I'm sure it'll never rotate the blade. Truthfully I think I was asking too much of the fan. It just wasn't made to move sometihng like that. I'm going to keep the ruined fans as an axel though and use a small motor I pulled out of one of my sister's old battery operated toys. Hopefully that will give me the power I need. If not well the sa hand was a superficial add on I'll still have my pincer.

thegayhare

Well It's official I've decided to nix the saw blad hand.

I may try again on an other date but for now it's not working.

I tried a better motor one that when tested could move the blad but once it was all together It just couldn't manage with any regularity. I think it was a flaw in my design. for not the saw is out but I may bring it back some day

thegayhare

Hi Hi all
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1612177/#cid:11407094
sorry bout the triple posting

My arm piece is almost done so I figured I'd share progress
I did some distressing work, I think it came out pretty good myself. I also added some seams to the "metal" work, and added some bolts for realism. since the pincer piece is black I decided to do the midle band of the elbow section in black. it should help enhance the illusion f the joint I think.

My sis has agreed to help me out with the more intricate details so I'm going to hit her up for that next time she comes up so I can seal the paint job.  I'm thinking of putting in a large 12 as a tribute to Megas XLR on the forward facing section of the shoulder and I'll have a my pirate symbol on the round shoulder piece.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ooo.

Looking good, Hare. Pity about the saw, but you've done well with what's left.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

The saw was cool.. but the clamps man!  The clamps!

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

I've done a little more work.  This morning I distressed my eyes(not yet ready for you folks since I'm still wiring them up)  but I also worked on the glove thats going to be part of my none mechanical arm.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1616363/

The paw gloves aren't the ones I'll be using for the actual costume, they are only elbow length. This is more to show what it will look like now that I finished the over paw gloves. The glove I used was a paintballing glove with built in rubber armor to guard your knuckles. I panted the armor silver and to cover the logo on the wrist strap I hot glued a computer case support over it then painted that silver. I think it looks good when sliped over the fur hand

I think I'll leave the silver paint along on this one.  no real distressing needed.  Which makes me wonder.  do you folks think the leg armor I got. 
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1556697/
should be worked over like I did the arm?  or does the shiny silver work there?

Edit I thought I might add I just finished the paint on the pincer

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/1616620/

llearch n'n'daCorna

thegayhare

Thanks Learch

the realy cool part is I've done all this on the cheap
the only real money I shelled out was for the maverick and spraypaint

and I've got anouther update for you folks

My finished eyes

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1618840/

techmaster-glitch

thegayhare

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 10, 2008, 12:59:29 PM
Ooooh, lights in the eyes. Nice touch ;)

Thanks
now I just need a small on/off switch and battery case for the eyes

Welp here are a few more pieces
This is the jaw peice it's going to be over the muzzle of the head and I'm going to run tubing under it into the fur muzzle.  I'll have large bolts set at the cheeks  and I've been contemplating adding a bit more color to it.  I'm not sure what would look good.  maybe a bit of rust, some scaring what do you folks think

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1622805/

This is the pieces for the body armor.  again I think it's a bit plain.  I'm thinking maybe some numerals, scorches and dents might look good.  one of the upper chest pieces has a serieas of small holes drilled out of it. this is because thats where I'm planing to place the speaker from my voice changer. the other upper chest piece has presented me with something of a problem. I have two Ideas one is simple, I was thinking of placing a LED touch light. Tap my chest and I'd have a built in search light. The other Idea was finding a halloween prop heart (preferably a beating one) with some red LED lighting and placing it under a clear plastic covering . But waltzing around wearing my heart on my chest might be too much.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1622825/

WhiteFox

This is looking pretty cool.

I thought of something, if you're thinking about decorations. What about the labels you see on electronics that tell you stuff like the voltage, patents, serial numbers, etc? They're usually a pretty durable plastic sticker,  and they'd be good for some texture.

thegayhare

I'm planning out serial numbers, designations, and the like in my head so far.  not to much planed firmly

but I do want you folks opinion on a test I did with a spare armor piece

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/1624348/

llearch n'n'daCorna

#1 looks like someone took an axe to the armour. The problem is, you need it to be dead straight, which is harder for bigger dents.

as noted, #3 and #4 are excellent. Although I'd go easy on both - while they're good, #3 would be difficult to do on any part that isn't curved, and #4 could quite easily be overdone.

You might consider "smoke damage around a dent" as something to think about how you'd do it, though...