[Art/Writing] Jairus: Merry Christmas

Started by Jairus, July 20, 2008, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Okay, no song fic. Yay!

Tonight, a little info on a group from the "ZvS" story called the GOLEMS.

Originally, the GOLEMS were simply a group distantly connected to INRI's Project Avatar, a program to combine the Phantom Limb control system designed for controlling prosthetic limbs and military mecha. While the project succeeded and created the first Avatar - codenamed "Avatar Zero One" - which the assembled team then set out to create a combat-worthy version of, another team of scientists - one of whom was a member of Project Avatar - had already developed their own avatar from a set of reverse-engineered specifications that they called "Dizzy," short for Double Zero. Though these five - Jerod Giuseppe, Tatiana Ondrea, Liang An, Abdulkareem Eman and Sally Marylee - did not actually build Dizzy, the design was superior to Zero One, and was actually already combat capable. Assuming new code names for themselves - Mr. G, Professor O, Master L, Doktor E, and Instructor M respectively - the five called themselves GOLEM and began to research new weapons and developments for use in the coming age of avatar combat. They were shortly joined by Domani "Des" Eduardo Sidney, a scientist who had become disillusioned with the way the research was going in Avatar development. He assumed the code name "Doctor S," and they began to call themselves the GOLEMS. Together they began to research and develop new weapons and technologies for use in avatars - technology that could not be implemented at the time. About twenty or so years ago, they split up for some reason and went their separate ways, and each continued to work on the different designs they had brought with them. With Jerod Giuseppe's creation of the Sentinel as a part of Project Titan and it's ability to actually use most of the tech they designed, the world is on the brink of a technological revolution the likes of which has never been seen. Though the original five have not spoken in over fifteen years, Domani still keeps up tabs between them.

Jerod Giuseppe, aka "Mr. G"
If the group had a leader, the Englishman Jerod would be it. As it is, he is simply the one who brought the original five together for their own project. A major member of Project Avatar, he helped his group out by keeping them supplied with designs from Project Avatar. While he didn't really have a specialty in the group, he seemed to have a talent for getting pieces to fall into place. Following the GOLEMS breaking up, he stayed with INRI and eventually joined Project Titan, where he invented the superconducting power network called "Cruciform."
Tatiana Ondrea, aka "Professor O"
A woman of Russian ancestry, Tatiana was a major mech researcher for the League of Nations, and designed the GeUCoM, a multi-use mech still in use by the League of Nations forces (albeit the GeUCoM VI, but it's still the same basic machine). A stoic and seemingly emotionless woman, she actually feels the weight of those killed by her machines, but she prefers the idea of war to absolute chaos. She began research into sensor jamming and similar technology, and also did some work with energy-based barriers and shields. She continued working on her mechs after the group split up.
Liang An, aka "Master L"
A scientist from the Chinese territories, An is a kind and simple man who can kick anyone's butt in martial arts. Among the six scientists, he is probably the best Avatar pilot of them all, thanks to the time he spent training in his grandfather's house when he was younger. Ironically, he is opposed to the idea of the Phantom Limb system being used for warfare, and believes that it and much of the technology in use by avatars would be better served on the civilian market. Most of the advancements he made were enhancements to the PL system, as well as figuring out ways for pilots to control something he called the "Phantom Bit." Once the group split up, he took most of the stuff they researched and began applying it as best he could to the civilian market: most prosthetic limbs nowadays incorporate something of his (and by extension the group's) design.
Kareem Emanuel, aka "Doktor E"
A man of mixed Israeli-Pakistani ancestry, Kareem grew up in Germany, and feels little connection to the war-torn home of his ancestors. In fact, a handful of his (and Tatiana's) designs have been used to quell the uprisings and rebellions in that area. Kareem has a sort of detached personality to the world, and doesn't care about the conflicts that are going on. He has been engaged in weapons research his entire adult life. Following the groups breakup, he joined with Arkoz's research staff and helped develop their weapons: the first flight-capable mass production Avatar was his design.
Sally Marylee, aka "Instructor M"
A self-described "gun nut," Sally is an American who grew up on one of the space colonies run by the world government. Youngest of the six, she is also probably the reason that the group did so much: she helped to spur them along. Both of her parents were fans of old-time mecha TV series, and she herself is a bit of a nut on the subject as well. Obviously, she studied weaponry, and it was her work that led to the compression of beam tech to the point that it could be wielded by an avatar - or at least would be, once avatar tech got that far. After the group split up, she joined up with a group of mercenaries and scavengers called the "Raptors," and has since been designing some very weird modifications for them, while the beam tech she helped develop has been carefully leaked to all sides to see who can complete it first: her money is on Mr. G and Project Titan.
Domani "Des" Eduardo Sidney, aka "Doctor S"
One of the strangest members of the group, "Des" is also perhaps certifiably insane. The reason for this is that he is one of the byproducts of a group attempting to create psychic soldiers, individuals capable of plucking information from their enemy's head. Des is himself an empath, capable of "reading" emotions in the environment around him and pinpointing who they're attached to: by touching someone on their face, he can also "read" their mind, though this is difficult and tiring for him. The overflow of emotions is probably what drove him nuts originally, and part of his interest in Project Avatar was that some of the resulting tech could have helped him block off his mind from the world. It didn't pan out, but his friend Sally invited him to join GOLEM in an attempt to help him out. Though that didn't really pan out either, Des ended up sticking with them for the rest of the project. He actually spent most of his time with An, who had long since learned to control his emotions and thus had a "quiet mind." When the group split up, he ended up going with Sally, and he has currently found solace in the quiet of space, and most of the members of Raptor are respectful of his need for privacy.

There. The six scientists who helped to revolutionize the world, and are waiting to do so again. Yes, they are a reference to the five doctors of Gundam Wing, even though I never watched that show. And yes, they existed simply to explain how technology can start to advance so quickly once the story got underway: they already built it all, they just needed the rest of the world to catch up so that they could use it. Questions, comments, concerns, clarifications, WTFs?

EDIT: Sweet buttery Jesus, 11 pages? Didn't I only hit 10 pages like a day or two ago?

EDIT 2: Haiku!
My brother is dead
At my own hand. And yet I
Feel nothing at all.

An ancient black blade,
Old as civilization.
A mark of the past.

This mountain is in
My way. I could walk around.
But I'd rather not.

How many roads must
A man walk down, 'fore I give
A damn? Forty two.

Goodness, but that's a
Big bomb. Let's make it go boom.
Muahaahaahaahaa.

Thank you.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Jairus

Well, here are the first two giant robots I sketched out. Comments and advice are always appreciated... please? I really suck at this. Well, no better way to get better than to keep doing it.

Anyway... on with the show!

Oh, and for the love of all you hold beautiful... don't look at these in full scale. They look better small scale. Not that that's saying much.

The first giant robot I've ever drawn in my life. I drew this one last night around 11 or so. To be blunt, I don't like this one, and aside from giving you an idea of where I've started from in terms of drawing these guys I can't think of a reason to post it. This was going to be an earlier avatar, perhaps even A-01, but it didn't work out so I just drew some details and went to bed.

The second giant robot I've ever drawn in my life. This one was done this morning at around nine or so. This drawing is still at the "bubble parts and lots of extra pencil marks stage," but I already like it better. For some reason it came out looking a bit like the Lancelot from Code Geass, though that wasn't my intent: this was just practice. I'm going to do a little cleaning up later today or tonight, and then I'll start drawing the shapes to build up the limbs.

Also, scale-wise these guys are somewhere between 5 and 7 meters, so these are supposed to be avatars.

Okay, now I'm serious. Questions, comments, advice, concerns, clarifications, ideas, anything at all? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on September 07, 2008, 03:27:06 PM
Oh, and for the love of all you hold beautiful... don't look at these in full scale. They look better small scale. Not that that's saying much.
I did that and survived.

The "Giant Robot sketch #2" isn't too bad, but I would recommend you to make the legs more massive. Since the bodies of your robots are somewhat bulky (to store both the cockpit and the power source), the legs look to thin to give this robot sufficient balance.

Oh, and it looks more like Gekka than Lancelot.

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 08, 2008, 12:52:18 PM
The "Giant Robot sketch #2" isn't too bad, but I would recommend you to make the legs more massive. Since the bodies of your robots are somewhat bulky (to store both the cockpit and the power source), the legs look to thin to give this robot sufficient balance.
Agreed. I thought of that last night... I'm going to try sketching a new one today, and I'm going to bulk it up a little bit. What I've got there is basically an internal frame that needs armor and thrusters and weapons attached to it... hm.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 08, 2008, 12:52:18 PM
Oh, and it looks more like Gekka than Lancelot.
Hm... kinda. I actually really like the Black Knights designs: they're fairly different from most giant robots. And the Guren is awesome.

Mao

The second giant robot I've ever drawn in my life. This one was done this morning at around nine or so. This drawing is still at the "bubble parts and lots of extra pencil marks stage," but I already like it better. For some reason it came out looking a bit like the Lancelot from Code Geass, though that wasn't my intent: this was just practice. I'm going to do a little cleaning up later today or tonight, and then I'll start drawing the shapes to build up the limbs.

Honestly, I think you're on the right path with the second one.  Get the bubbles and extra lines in until you see something in there that you like.  Once you see what you like, start cleaning off the extra lines.  It may only be your second one, but it's a very strong start imho.

Tapewolf

scale-wise these guys are somewhere between 5 and 7 meters, so these are supposed to be avatars.

When you say 'Avatar' in that context, I presume you mean some kind of remote unit?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2008, 01:31:38 PM
scale-wise these guys are somewhere between 5 and 7 meters, so these are supposed to be avatars.

When you say 'Avatar' in that context, I presume you mean some kind of remote unit?
No, Jay gave an explanation to why he calls these machines that way somewhere above:
Quote from: Jairus on September 05, 2008, 11:58:05 AM
There's also the kind of minor thing I just realized... the original meaning behind the code-name "Avatar" was because an "avatar" is the mortal incarnation of a god descended to earth, much like how an Avatar was the mortal and expendable body of the human pilot inside.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 08, 2008, 01:35:29 PM
No, Jay gave an explanation to why he calls these machines that way somewhere above:
Ah, got it, thanks.  With all respect to Jairus, I find myself unable to sit through reams of dry technical data and backstory notes, hence I have been popping in and out of this thread - evidently that is the price I pay  :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2008, 01:37:33 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 08, 2008, 01:35:29 PM
Ah, got it, thanks.  With all respect to Jairus, I find myself unable to sit through reams of dry technical data and backstory notes, hence I have been popping in and out of this thread - evidently that is the price I pay  :3
No worries... I hate writing dry technical data and I hate technobabble, which is why I try to be informal and "Fluffy-like" when I do technical stuff: I find that people like reading my stuff more if I enjoyed writing it. I don't want to bore my readers, and any technical stuff is made a little more accessible than "reverse the polarized stabilizers and prepare the Bussard ramscoop to fire a charged-anti-article beam."

Incidentally, Ren, what did you think of the GOLEMS?

PS: But I love writing backstory! For example: Dreksa has two brothers he refers to in The Covenant Wars, only one of which he actually liked, and this brother was probably a cousin of the great Kamina-sama. The other brother was his actual brother, and he hated each him, so much so that he thinks that the person who killed his older brother deserves a medal.

Jairus

Well, got some drawing done last night, but none post worthy. So, instead I drew this tonight: another giant robot sketch. Again, still unfinished and really rough, but already I think this looks a bit better than attempt #2.

Number 3. A bit stockier than #2 (the arms are still bothering me), as well as a handful of joints drawn into give me an idea of movement capabilities. The head and neck make me wince, though. Still rough, but already I'm liking this better. The two "humps" on the back are supposed to be the tops of a pair of thrusters. Anyway... yeah.

Questions, comments, advice, concerns, clarifications, ideas, anything at all?

EDIT: And haiku...

This blasted machine
Refuses to work, even
Though I keep hitting.

Good lord, is that the
Time? Where does it go? Can
I get a refund?

Hydraulics pump and
Motors drive. The mecha strides
Towards a battle.

Mind, words, and motions:
Three triggers to awaken
The spell that I cast.

Darkness within, and
Some fear it. I do not. I
fear not my darkness.

Just six men changed
The world forever. Monty
Python shall live on.

I'm a lumberjack
And I'm okay. I sleep all
Night and work all day.

Spam spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam spam

Yeah, those last few were
A bit silly. But that's the
Way they would want it.

Thank you.

Cogidubnus

I'm a lumberjack
And I'm okay. I sleep all
Night and work all day.

I cut down trees
I eat my lunch, I use
the lavatory

The sketches seem to be improving, to my non-artistic eye, sir. The head on that one looks improved anyway, to me. And the Haiku are both silly and steampunk in places, which is always awesome.

Jairus

On Wednesdays I
Go shopping, and have buttered
Scones for my tea time.

Thank you for the remarks on the sketch: it certainly is better than the first one, or at least from where I'm standing. Though I'm realizing that the right arm is a bit skimpy, even compared to what I was going for. Oh well: practice makes perfect. The first one also suffered because I had no idea what I was doing, and went a little far in the details before I got the structure right.

This machine armor
Moves, and yet it protects the
Man within its shell.

Air, fuel, spark: the
Three pieces of fire. I
Have them with magic.

If you cannot fly,
Make your own wings. That is how
Mortals think, demon.

PS: If anyone is curious, I have a little more trivia on the GOLEMS that I dredged up from my memory.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 01:10:35 AM
On Wednesdays I
Scones for my tea time.

You're short a syllable on the first line, I think, unless you pronounce the nes. It's usually pronounced "wens-days" around here...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 10, 2008, 03:38:57 AM
Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 01:10:35 AM
On Wednesdays I
Scones for my tea time.

You're short a syllable on the first line, I think, unless you pronounce the nes. It's usually pronounced "wens-days" around here...
Good point... but when I wrote it I definitely thought "Wed-nes-day." I'm already stretching the verse to get it to fit as it is, unfortunately, so I'm not certain how it would work. Besides, if you pronounce all three syllables when you're saying this out loud, people might not catch what you're saying until the haiku is finished.  ;)

I never wanted
To be a barber: oh to
Be a lumberjack.

A sword, of ancient
Power and origin. It
will save or destroy.

Family is more
Than blood or a name. Those who
Love are part of one.

Friends in our hearts
Can never leave. They will always
Be with us. Always.

Ren Gaulen

Comments on a robot sketch:

The legs still need to be more massive. You may want to make the shoulders and forearms more massive too. Also, the torso looks like a bucket now. Unless its an Ork's Mekk, you'd probably want to make the torso less bucket-like. :3

Mao

If it's an Ork's Mekk.. it gives him an excuse to put weapons with a lot of Dakka on it.

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 10, 2008, 11:16:21 AM
Comments on a robot sketch:

The legs still need to be more massive. You may want to make the shoulders and forearms more massive too. Also, the torso looks like a bucket now. Unless its an Ork's Mekk, you'd probably want to make the torso less bucket-like. :3
Quote from: Mowser on September 10, 2008, 12:25:19 PM
If it's an Ork's Mekk.. it gives him an excuse to put weapons with a lot of Dakka on it.
Still working on it. I'm going to try and make a few sketches tonight... we'll see how well that goes. Besides, if it's an Ork Mekk, not only will it need more dakka, then it will also need to be painted red. Which, incidentally, is the color of the Arkoz Royal Guard.

Anyway, yeah, avoid the bucket. But does the idea of trying to incorporate even simple joints at this point work?

Hypothetical question: would a 3'6" (one meter or so) tall elf dual wielding gatling guns be considered "enough dakka?" Pretend that gatling guns can actually be carried and fired one-handed.

PS: No comments on the haiku? Phooie. And I thought that someone would be interested in a midge more trivia on a bunch of technological wizards who are also perhaps insane.

Anyway...

Good god it is hot.
Hot hot hot. I wish that my
AC was working.

Why does painting a
Thing red make it go faster?
It kind of bugs me.

(my AC works fine... I just felt like writing that.)

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 01:53:18 PM
Hypothetical question: would a 3'6" (one meter or so) tall elf dual wielding gatling guns be considered "enough dakka?" Pretend that gatling guns can actually be carried and fired one-handed.
Only if the gatling guns would have mounted grenade launchers. No, scratch that. There is no such thing as "enough dakka".

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 10, 2008, 02:03:24 PM
Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 01:53:18 PM
Only if the gatling guns would have mounted grenade launchers. No, scratch that. There is no such thing as "enough dakka".
Hypothetical question: How about twelve gatling guns?

This gun makes such a
Lovely sound. Dakka dakka
Dakka dakka dak.

Trivia: Sally Marylee was twelve when she joined the GOLEMS. She is literally one of the most brilliant designers in the world. Also, none of them are using their real names: everyone of them (twelve-year old Sally included) faked their identities and killed off their original ones. No ones knows who they really are, and they've hidden their trails so well that it's unlikely anyone ever will.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 02:11:06 PM
No. Such. Thing. As. ENOUGH. DAKKA!! HAVE I MADE MYSELF CLEAR? There is only MORE DAKKA and MOOOOORE DAKKA!! *kicks the inner ork drill sergeant into the curb* Twelve Gatling guns would be fine, good sir.

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 10, 2008, 02:15:26 PM
Quote from: Jairus on September 10, 2008, 02:11:06 PM
No. Such. Thing. As. ENOUGH. DAKKA!! HAVE I MADE MYSELF CLEAR? There is only MORE DAKKA and MOOOOORE DAKKA!! *kicks the inner ork drill sergeant into the curb* Twelve Gatling guns would be fine, good sir.
I think the only way that scene would possibly be complete is the guy controlling the twelve guns to get an insufferable smirk on his face that simply says "Good-bye" to whoever he's trying to kill. That, or to finish it off he pulls out a death ray. Or he calls on the giant robot that has it's own gatling guns... I think Nick might be keeping a little too much dakka in his lab. He should spread the love around. Everyone could use a little dakka!

Ahem...

As a present, Ren, I give you the Metal Storm. For those of you who have never heard of it, this is a gun with a maximum firing rate of one million rounds a minute.

For the more "conventional" weapon lover... how about the GAU-8? I had this as a wallpaper for a while.

My death ray works so
Well. Whatever I aim at,
Dies pretty darn fast.

Ren Gaulen

Jairus

Okay, tonight's drawings.

I have no idea what I was going for here. It looks a bit more like a cross between a Real Robot and a Super Robot. Anyway, it's a lot more stocky than the other three and I like this quick sketch a bunch already. Again I kind of drew in a pair of thrusters on the back.

Now here, I know that I was kind of sketching a Lancelot-like machine, but I kind of like it. Interestingly, the larger head makes the thing look like a smaller machine, or at least from my perspective. Must remember that for when I start drawing more often.

An engineer must
Know their machines, just like a
Swordsman knows their sword.

Jairus

Okay, how about a little more tech from ZvS... crud, I wish I could remember the name. I had it under the working title Sentinel Avatar, but that ain't gonna work. Oh well. I'll try and avoid technobabble where I can... can't stand the stuff. Star Trek practically makes me break down and scream "SCIENCE DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!!!!" Ahem... anyway. Remember all of this is basically being dredged up from my memory, so there are some inconsistencies and I'm probably leaving some things out by accident.

Ouroboros power core: The normal power unit for Avatars, an Ouroboros is essentially a super-compact high-efficiency battery system combined with a small-scale fusion cell. Basically, the battery powers the avatar while the fusion cell powers the battery. While the cell can run the avatar during normal operations, it does not have a high enough output to power avatars during battle, which is where the battery comes in. The two systems together give an avatar a relatively unlimited combat span (excluding fuel for thrusters and the like) and the ability to undergo high-performance combat. However, the battery can only power the unit for about and hour or two, and once the battery is run down an avatar's combat ability drops steeply. Some avatars are outfitted with secondary power systems or extra batteries, while a handful of experimental models have two Ouroboros cores for power. While the units have been gradually upgraded as time goes on, it is possible that Ouroboros technology has plateaued for now. For the record, Sentinel uses the first INRI-mX Ouroboros core (Mark 10), while most current mass-production models use a Mark VII or VIII or some equivalency.

Cruciform: A new power network developed by Doctor Guiseppe of INRI, Cruciform works through the use of a high-temperature superconducting liquid called "Crux." Most details regarding Crux are classified, however considering that one of INRI's major research platforms is a space station located at Lagrange 2, it is possible that it can only be produced at one of these stable points. Crux is incredibly difficult to manufacture, and enough to run through even the handful of lines and reservoirs that are built into Sentinel more than quadrupled the cost of the unit. The HTP Capacitor is a part of this system, and is basically a sphere of Crux that can store a massive amount of energy. The hyper-efficient liquid allows for superior power distribution, and is what makes it possible for Sentinel to power so many bits of technology. Crux was originally developed by the GOLEMS group, so theoretically all six members could recreate it if they wanted.

Hypersonic Vibration sword: If you don't know what this is, bad for you, cause I'm not telling. The name's a pretty big hint, though.

Plasma weaponry: You know what plasma weapons are if you've ever watched pretty much anything scientific. Plasma weaponry - referred to in-verse as "CPC Guns" (Charged-Particle Containment Guns) - is extremely powerful, and is currently one of the most powerful weapons on the battlefield. Bolts of plasma travel at speeds second only to lasers (which are not used in combat due to the difficulties of such), and can pierce through most armor and shields. The weapons also have incredible range, even superior to beam technology. The disadvantages, however, very nearly outweigh the advantages. CPC's eat up disgusting amounts of power, and at this point aside from mounting a second Ouroboros core devoted solely to powering the weapon there is no way for an avatar to power one, and such a unit would be almost impossible to move: it is also worth noting that a CPC is really big and bulky. Plasma technology is also only applicable for thrusters or weapons, so you won't find plasma shields or plasma swords. Sorry. There is also an experimental weapon called an "Impulse cannon" that is a development of CPC guns that has been developed by INRI, but this has yet to see combat.

Beam technology: Yay, the fun stuff. As you can guess from the fact that beam weapons and plasma weapons are given different entries, beam weapons are not plasma. As for what they are... I never figured that out. They're basically prime grade-A "Green Rocks," like GN Particles or Minovsky particles: they exist, and they do things, and I can tell you how they work, but that's it. And Ren, I know that we've got an explanation for those two, that is irrelevant for this conversation. Beam weapons basically subscribe to anime and SF style energy weapons: sub-luminal, controllable into multiple shapes, low to no heat etc. A beam could practically be called frozen light, but it isn't. It by itself cannot cause damage. So, what can beam weapons do? Okay, prior to the story starting, they had three applications: cannons, shields, and thrusters. Cannons are obvious. Beam cannons shape beam energy into a bolt of sub-luminal (sub-light) energy, which is then aimed and fired. The range on a beam weapon varies depending on the focusing put into it. Shields are basically planes of beam energy, and require a projector of some kind. Finally, beam energy can be shaped into a sort of blade that can be spun like a rotor to cause lift... I know, I didn't really think this through, and besides this method can only be used on ships or things with craploads of power to spare. Recently, beam tech has been compressed to the point that it is more portable, and can now be carried by avatars. Small-grade beam cannons, beam rifles, beam launchers, beam shields, beam swords... they're all present, and waiting to be applied. Beam swords actually have an edge, and part of the reason they're so sharp is because the blade is controlled by forcefields that can be focused to a molecule in thickness. Currently, the only avatar wielding beam weaponry is the Sentinel, though other units are being fitted with this technology: Sentinel's true load-out includes one beam rifle, two beam swords, and a pair of beam shields on the bucklers. Incidentally, one of the things the GOLEMS came up with was a beam wing, which basically was a beam shield except used to extend a wing's surface: the design essentially allows any unit equipping it to fly at sub-sonic velocities in atmosphere, while in a space environment it can be used as a very efficient vernier/thruster.

Yeah, beam tech was/is basically the "magic" of this setting. Anyhoo...

PS:
Why does this troll so
Persist in being a pest?
Ban his butt right now!

Mao

Love the 5th sketch.  You're definitely improving quickly.  I think chest wise, the fourth looks better, but overall, the fifth looks better to me.

Quote from: Jairus on September 11, 2008, 02:11:44 AM
Why does this troll so
Persist in being a pest?
Ban his butt right now!

HA!  You'll not get rid of me that easily.

Ren Gaulen

You have definitely moved in the right direction with the 5th sketch, but the waist of the mech looks too thin now. But at least it does not look like a light wind can topple it. :P

Hypersonic Vibration sword
High-Frequency blade :P

Beam technology
And what about the accelerator weapons? Particle accelerators? Mass-drivers? There was a mentioning of a magnetic mass-driver in the "ZvS".

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 11, 2008, 08:36:57 AM
You have definitely moved in the right direction with the 5th sketch, but the waist of the mech looks too thin now. But at least it does not look like a light wind can topple it. :P
YAY!

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 11, 2008, 08:36:57 AM
And what about the accelerator weapons? Particle accelerators? Mass-drivers? There was a mentioning of a magnetic mass-driver in the "ZvS".
Yes, but I assume you know how a Rail Gun works. And how a launch catapult works.

Jairus

Well, this is a little weird. This was kind of inspired by !KCA's comment in another thread about drawing the Clockwork Mansion name... so instead I just drew the Clockwork Mansion, completely ignoring the fact that I can't draw buildings or scenery or anything like that. This is just a sort of random sketch I did to try and get in every board on the forum... anyway.

So yeah, it sucks. Damn... the pencil didn't show up well. Anyway, I tried to fit in every board, and it actually looks better up close... marginally better, anyway. If I practice and get some advice and maybe someday buy myself Photoshop or something like that, I might end up finishing it. See if you can spot the areas!

Ren Gaulen

It is actually kinda neat.. And many of the areas, like the Tower, the Arena and the Abandoned Mine, are quite recognizable.

Mao

It doesn't suck man.  It's actually not that bad at all.  Keep at it.