WALL*E, best movie I ever recall seeing.

Started by LigerJet, July 15, 2008, 02:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LigerJet

Wow.  My heart was touched.  I cried a few times.  This was amazing.  Why hasn't there been a topic on this already?

Darkmoon

Because we ate all the people that make review topics.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Wait.. how does a box eat things?  I mean, you can put a box over things, and put things in boxes.. but it doesn't digest them... nor does it chew them?  Is that really *eating*?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Haven't you ever put something in a box, then come back later, and it's not there anymore?

Just like that.

Mao

I can't say I have had that happen.  Unless there was some outside interference.  Usually it just turns out that I did my inventory wrong and it's another box.  Now, if we're going on the idea that it was digestion.. that leads to some unfortunate possibilities as to what the other box might be.  So which end of the box digestion system are you llearch? ;-)

*Edit:  Just a bit of revenge for the compensation shot you took at me llearch.

VSMIT

Remember that he also has a lot of monkeys in the box.  That could account for the removal/digestion of said item.  Even if the item is a forum member.

Jairus

I though that he sometimes had a sloth in his box... hm. I always never did trust those things... they just move slow so that we think they're up to no good... the sloths are evil!

And for the record, WALL-E is on my list of movies to see.

The Dark Night
Hellboy II
WALL-E
Kung Fu Panda.

Darnit, all of these great summed flicks. We're going to have a crappy Blockbuster summer next year to balance it out. Or maybe a whole bunchload of crappy movies will be released to balance out the karmic scale now (Distaster Movie comes to mind...)
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mowser on July 15, 2008, 10:05:43 AM
I can't say I have had that happen.  Unless there was some outside interference.  Usually it just turns out that I did my inventory wrong and it's another box.  Now, if we're going on the idea that it was digestion.. that leads to some unfortunate possibilities as to what the other box might be.  So which end of the box digestion system are you llearch? ;-)

The end you don't want to mess with. ;-]

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 15, 2008, 10:44:22 AM
Quote from: Mowser on July 15, 2008, 10:05:43 AM

The end you don't want to mess with. ;-]

Ah, the front end.

Mao

Jairus

Well, you know. The teeth and fangs and the long slathering tongue. What do boxes have, anyway?

Mao

Jairus

Sure thing, just make sure you're at the other end to catch me.

Mao

Jairus

Just so long as you don't borrow mine: they're cool.

Mao

Valid point.  For that matter.. I'd better get some full gear in case of.. splatter.

Speaking of splatter and various waste products, that's the essential vibe of Wall*E right?  Humans produce too much waste and need to learn to clean up after themselves?  With a touch anti-big business thrown in?

Jairus

I know I have yet to see this, but from what I've heard it's partially that and a mentality of we need to fix our problems because they're not going to just go away if we ignore it.

Mao

Seems almost a waste that this is a 'kids' movie then.  I can think of a lot of older folks who would benefit from that message.

Jairus

Yeah, but part of the problem is that a lot of older folks aren't going to be around when the crap really hits the fan. Right now, it's really important that kids and young-to-middle-aged adults (i.e. those with kids currently) kind of get this mentality so that we can not only cut back on mass-consumerism, but also work on fixing the problems caused by it.

Does anyone else think it's funny that DISNEY made a movie about the dangers of mass-consumerism? Or that Pixar could actually make a movie this preachy and have it be good?

LigerJet

It's disturbing and uncomfortable for adults, too, I think.  It's also a love story.

Aisha deCabre

I liked the movie too...and I doubt it's that preachy.  I've said that it would be a pretty sad future for people to put themselves in, but it's pretty darn doubtful that the ENTIRE human race would become sedentary blobs.  I bet they did that for comedic irony.

I rather like to see movies for the story rather than the context.  And it was quite an emotional movie as well as unique in that they don't rely on too much dialogue to tell the story.  Instead they rely on action and emotion on the part of the heroes, and those often speak wonders more than words.  They don't make movies much like that any more.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Jairus

I'm actually starting to wonder how Pixar will top themselves the next time.

Nikki

i like the movie =3

i went in expecting another 'Robots', but boy was i wrong! it's really cute and the ending almost made me cry

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

bill

Brunhidden

Quote from: Xze-Xze on July 15, 2008, 10:26:13 PM
i like the movie =3

i went in expecting another 'Robots', but boy was i wrong! it's really cute and the ending almost made me cry

keat's DA journal says she started to cry a little and was afraid the kid next to her would call her weird

but i too cried a little, it was just so beautiful, and the ending had such hope to it.

in my mind three things made it fantastic- it was a realistic future, the robots had impressive amounts of personality, and it had hope

realisim is obvious, especially with what seems to be wallmart and macdonalds merging into one super corporation of evil that makes starbucks look like a carebear.

the personality, well, just look at the difference between wally normal and after he lost his memory- its like looking at a person and then looking at a statue.

hope, far too many people forget to add hope to the future. my absolute favorite scifi author thinks himself special that he always has a little hope, and thats what makes his books so good.

QuoteThe reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jairus

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 16, 2008, 01:21:39 AM
hope, far too many people forget to add hope to the future. my absolute favorite scifi author thinks himself special that he always has a little hope, and thats what makes his books so good.

If I may ask, who's your favorite sci-fi author?

Brunhidden

Larry niven, author of such pieces as ringworld, a gift from earth, Lucifer's hammer, the flying sourcerors, and so fourth. niven has thought up or improved many concepts of modern space travel, most notably the niven ring, which is an improvement on the dyson sphere.

also note that the concept of resident evil was ripped off of his 70s short story 'night on mispec moor', which actually made more sense and was far more plausible then the resident evil concept

QuoteReaders are many, but thinkers are few
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sunblink

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 16, 2008, 01:21:39 AM

keat's DA journal says she started to cry a little and was afraid the kid next to her would call her weird

It's true. :>

~Keaton the Black Jackal

techmaster-glitch

It goes without saying that I thought this movie was truly awesome and wonderful, as well.

When I first saw the commercials a year ago, just the concept basically pointing out that Pixar's next movie is going to be about robot who develops emotions and is lonely, my first thought was literally, "Oh no." But this movie blew me away. I think it will indeed have to go on my list of all-time favorite movies. Which, by the way, I don't have ;)