Hello, and no, my username is not a pun on "Jyrras"

Started by Jairus, July 03, 2008, 12:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Um, hello. Well, I guess I should tell you all a little about myself...

I'm a college student with no social life who is currently trying to flesh out The Rules for a fantasy novel (how breeding works, magic systems, etc.), while at the same time somehow finding time for classes and playing the handful of videogames that I own. I just discovered DMFA about... oh... two weeks ago, through the TV Tropes wiki article on "Marshmallow Hell," and the comic made me interested enough to go back to the beginning and read it all the way through. And that makes the fifth webcomic that I've gotten involved in where I had to do an archive binge in order to catch up to everyone else. Anyway, I just thought I might as well get involved in the fanbase, and here we are. And unless some of you are also on the Agony Booth forums (which is basically the only forums I spend a lot of time on), I unfortunately have probably never spoken (what is the right term for forum-based conversations?) to any of you before.

And for the record, Jairus is my middle name, not a pun on "Jyrras" (see subject). Even though after the binge he is my favorite character. And has the same favorite color. To be quite blunt, it was one of those funny little coincidences that make my day. I thought it was funny enough to use.

PS: Just a warning: I have a problem keeping my thoughts short and sweet (see the first part of this post), and I occasionally ramble, but I am working on cutting it short. Just remind me if I'm getting wordy (like here). I am also probably crazy, but just a minor perusal of this forum would seem to indicate that a distinct lack of sanity is fairly common among Clockworkers...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

No problems with rambling - after all, it's not like I can throw stones there...

Only 5 webcomics? You've got a way to go to catch up, methinks.

Welcome to our little corner of the 'net, and try not to get any on your shoes.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

I just discovered DMFA about... oh... two weeks ago, through the TV Tropes wiki article on "Marshmallow Hell,"
Oh dear gods on high xD What the hell were you searching for to find DMFA on that article? :erk :erk :erk

Brunhidden

just wait, you will someday soon meet janus

breeding magic? i am suddenly imagining someone pointing, shouting 'inseminate', and a glowy ray of magic bursting from his finger. this is very unlikely, but ludicrous, and i need to find out more about this novel you are making rules for.

QuotePeople say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 03, 2008, 02:45:42 PM
Oh dear gods on high xD What the hell were you searching for to find DMFA on that article? :erk :erk :erk

Seth and Moira. It's linked way down the bottom, to strip 348 or so.

Jairus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 03, 2008, 02:45:42 PM
I just discovered DMFA about... oh... two weeks ago, through the TV Tropes wiki article on "Marshmallow Hell,"

I was looking through through the entry on Negima, when I saw an entry labelled "Marshmallow Hell" and "Trope Namer," so I clicked on the link and boy was I surprised! I have to say, it was certainly an... interesting name, and a definition I was not expecting. Anyway, I was flipping through the entry and I saw "a kangaroo hugs a kangaroo rat" and that's that...

And regarding the five different webcomics... there's only a handful of webcomics that I really follow, so those five or so are the ones that I did a "binge" on.

And as for the rules towards breeding... maybe when I've got 'em finished I'll post them in another section. I'd actually really like to get some advice on the issue from someone who isn't my mom... (long story short: I throw all of my ideas towards her, and we pass them back and forth until I've got something that works)

Ganurath

Quote from: Jairus on July 03, 2008, 03:17:28 PMI'd actually really like to get some advice on the issue from someone who isn't my mom... (long story short: I throw all of my ideas towards her, and we pass them back and forth until I've got something that works)
You're in luck. I'm a hopeless addict of good worldbuilding.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Jairus

Quote from: Ganurath on July 03, 2008, 03:34:03 PM
Quote from: Jairus on July 03, 2008, 03:17:28 PMI'd actually really like to get some advice on the issue from someone who isn't my mom... (long story short: I throw all of my ideas towards her, and we pass them back and forth until I've got something that works)

When I get around to posting it, it would go in the Tower of Art, right?

Ganurath

Quote from: Jairus on July 03, 2008, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: Ganurath on July 03, 2008, 03:34:03 PM

*shrug* I'm just as much a newblet as you. That'd be my guess, though.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 03, 2008, 03:12:32 PM
Seth and Moira. It's linked way down the bottom, to strip 348 or so.
Actually, I was asking about what he was searching to end up in Marshmallow Hell, my surprise was of all the articles DMFA is on, it was that one that he found DMFA. I've known of the Seth and Moira entry for quite awhile.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on July 03, 2008, 03:36:47 PM

According to the rules, yes. You did read those, right?

Kimmy

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 03, 2008, 03:10:23 PM
just wait, you will someday soon meet janus

Janus is mah fav fanda. |3 He's a sweetie. Literally. Caramel is delish.

Um, anyways hi, and don't worry, I ramble too. o.o
Oh god, there are so many tails D:

Damaris

Okay.  That made no sense, Kimmy.  Please translate.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on July 03, 2008, 11:39:59 PM

Chat waffle. Janus is the Caramel Fanda, so to speak, due to various pictures drawn of him by Ink and others. Erm. Fox Panda, or something. It's been that way a while.

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Faerie Alex

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 04, 2008, 03:33:08 AM
Quote from: Damaris on July 03, 2008, 11:39:59 PM

Chat waffle. Janus is the Caramel Fanda, so to speak, due to various pictures drawn of him by Ink and others. Erm. Fox Panda, or something. It's been that way a while.
And just what IS a "caramel fanda"? Is it tasty?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

techmaster-glitch

Oh, your name's not a pun, but now you've got an avatar of Jyrras? :P (by Ren Gaulen no less...where the hell did you get it? I don't remember him posting that...)

Brunhidden

perhaps he impressed ren, or earned a favor.

how exactly do people do that for artists anyways?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Jairus

Look, to be honest, Ren Gaulen asked me if I wanted him to draw me an avatar, and I said sure. We kind of exchanged a lot of sarcastic barbs that were related to giant robot anime so we had a few things in common, and he'd heard that I was thinking of getting an avatar. I actually though he was just going to draw a normal Jyrras, but I have to say I'm in love with the Evil Jyrras he made. He said he might post the complete thing in his art thread at a later point, but tomorrow I'll ask if I can post it here. And if I could draw in the slightest, I'd actually be able to give something in return. Maybe I could write an epic poem about Roger Smith... okay, that'd be weird.

And I got a new nickname out of the thing: Jay. I'm cool with it, so long as no one calls me Jay-Jay.

And now I'm going to bed, because I just realized that it's 2:14 in the morning here. Good night.

Jairus

Okay, this is technically a double post, but since there's about six hours difference between the entries and I've got a different topic for this post, I think it's okay. Anyway, I got permission to post the whole picture... now let's see if I can get this right.

VSMIT

Quote from: Jairus on July 10, 2008, 05:15:59 AM
And I got a new nickname out of the thing: Jay. I'm cool with it, so long as no one calls me Jay-Jay.
"But you can call me Dot."
"Can we call you Dotty?"
"No.  Just Dot.  Call me Dotty and you die."

Mao

Heeeeelllllloooooo Nurse!

....that was in reference to what VSMIT posted.

But the pic is pretty sweet too.

Brunhidden

even jay-jay isnt all that bad, it cant be as irritating as when people call me brunbrunchan

VSMIT

llearch n'n'daCorna

Any time we think we can get away with it.

Isn't that right, BrunBrunChan? ;-]

Brunhidden

asside from boxy-love here most people who do that tend to find reasons to stop

Jairus

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 11, 2008, 02:54:01 PM
asside from boxy-love here most people who do that tend to find reasons to stop

Considering the title of this thread and the nature of my avatar, how about "Brunch-chan?" (that's honestly how I read BrunBrunChan when I first saw it.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Stopping for brunch works for me. Where did you want to meet? ;-]