Started by thetire, July 08, 2006, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetire

I was wondering about the whole concept of Karma... what is it there for? (besides ego boosts or lowerings)

roninfoxtail

*shrugs*

Supercheese

Well, I would look up karma on Wikipedia to see if it refrences anything useful, but I just don't care enough.

Kitsune Ascendant

don't know, but it's formatting reminds me of M:TG cards.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

ITOS

Wiki:

Karma is a sum of all that an individual has done, is currently doing and will do. The effects of all deeds actively create present and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain in others. In religions that incorporate reincarnation, karma extends through one's present life and all past and future lives as well.

The "Law of Karma" is central in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, & Jainism. (These religions were formed in India). All living creatures are responsible for their karma - way of life - and for their release from samsara.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Supercheese

Seems that someone cares enough... but I'm not sure that sheds much light on what this Internetified karma is/does.

ITOS

My guess is that it's supposed to make people reflect over their actions and how they will be treated with a bad reputation that will forever stay under their name.

Basically, be good or you won't have the score to get into heaven.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Quote from: ITOS on July 08, 2006, 07:14:11 PM
My guess is that it's supposed to make people reflect over their actions and how they will be treated with a bad reputation that will forever stay under their name.

Well I really can't see it making people reflect on their actions.  On HomeRecording, you have to say why the karma has been awarded.  Here, it's completely anonymous.  Tezkat for example, has been smitten nine times as of this count, for no reason that I can understand, unless people have been using him to test the system, which in itself is bad karma.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Suwako

Quote from: tapewolf on July 08, 2006, 07:37:26 PM
Quote from: ITOS on July 08, 2006, 07:14:11 PM

Well I really can't see it making people reflect on their actions.  On HomeRecording, you have to say why the karma has been awarded.  Here, it's completely anonymous.  Tezkat for example, has been smitten nine times as of this count, for no reason that I can understand, unless people have been using him to test the system, which in itself is bad karma.

I think its because the rate at which karma can be re-used on this forum for one person is insane. People don't tkae karma serious wenn one person kan give them 10 points of bad karma in an hour. (not to mention the other thing i've been saying al along about the karma system.)

I think we'd be beter of modeling the karma system after Hellbounds. (A karma point a day. 24 hours)

Tezkat

Oh noes! The smiting! :eek Have my enemies followed me here to thwart my secret plans to take over the world?  ;) If they make me angry, I'll do mean things to them, George, like stroke their fur the wrong way...  :twisted

Seriously... the karma system here is pretty useless (I mean... more than usual for a BBS karma system  :rolleyes). One rating per person might give you a vague and relatively meaningless measure of how many people like/dislike you. Something that refreshes ten times an hour just tells you how much free time they have on their hands.  :laugh
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Netami

Remember that elitism thing I keep talking about?

:yeahthat

Kasarn

So what if you get undeserved negative karma? If you aren't banned or being warned by da modz, then it's just a number.
It should be everybody's mission to garner more negative karma than Darkmoon :3

Netami

It is what you make it out to be, though considering the way the community has functioned in the past, it can and probably will just be the thing people do to people that are disliked as a whole.

ShadesFox

I've already decided to ignore karma for the most part.  I may issue karma cookies on the APF thread but hey, you are getting a cookie!
The All Purpose Fox

Destina Faroda

As you can surmise, karma is just another tool to have fun, and representative of anything you wish.  With the exception of Darkmoon and Quientin, you can assume most of the people with vast negative Karma are not to be trusted...
Sig coming...whenever...

Roureem Egas

...you people are so mean. D:

Destina Faroda

But think about this.  I have some negative karma, so you shouldn't trust anything I say either.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

(sorry, Damaris on the wrong computer)

Karma is solely for fun and amusement.  It is not meant to be reflectory of a particular poster's ideas or such.  We kept it because we liked having something official on the forum that said "smite." 

Kasarn

Well, thesaurus.reference.com does list "drives bananas" as a possible synonym for smite :laugh

Amber Williams

*smites Darkmoon*

We're gonna have to talk about some of these emoticons. I forgot about the extent of some of the list... XP

ShadesFox

I did like the smite touch X3

Though I have no idea what smilies you wouldn't like...

:destroyed
The All Purpose Fox

Damaris

O:)

no idea what she's talking about...

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

xHaZxMaTx

I'd be happy with just these smileys:

Supercheese

Emowticons are good... now if only I can figure out good animtions for them...

Prof B Hunnydew

:redrum :stupid  :plzdie  :chainsaw  these are alittle mean, okay

she may like this one.

:zombiekun

Oooo...

:tohell

well I will said no more.

PBH

Suwako

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on July 09, 2006, 10:04:16 AM
>censored images<  these are alittle mean, okay

:zombiekun she may like this one.

Oooo...

:tohell

well I will said no more.

PBH

Indeed they are and since they're a little above the PG limit I would advice not to use them. (again)

Kasarn

Pfft, the only emote you need is AGNRY FAIC >:C

It's suitable for all occasions... or not >_>

RJ

The forum I'm on for my Naruto stuff got rid of their karma system because it got out of hand and people started to whine... but that's mostly as a result of their large user base and the number of idiots that abused it.

Karma is cute, as long as we don't go nuts... :P

*gives everyone free karma*

Jack McSlay

smilies? what smilies?
:goodtimes :simon

(yay! Roomi is here!) :catgirl  :catgirl2
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

RJ

Quote from: Jack McSlay on July 09, 2006, 10:22:25 AM
(yay! Roomi is here!) :catgirl  :catgirl2

>.> When I first saw that, I thought it was like a female version of Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece...  :blink