I am a newbie. We are a common species.

Started by TheCrazyMeerkat, May 24, 2008, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: Damaris on May 26, 2008, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 10:42:11 PM
So what. I'm going to get sued if I don't include them? :U

No, but you look like an asshat that can't be bothered to spend fifteen minutes being descriptive of your pictures so visually impaired people can enjoy your site.  But then, if you're not including alt tags I very much doubt you're actually coding in a handicapped accessible style, so it's not like it really matters.

I'm just hoping Darkmoon doesn't decide to wander into this thread.  Although the lecture might be fun to read...
It was fun to read. :>

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 26, 2008, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: Damaris on May 26, 2008, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 25, 2008, 10:42:11 PM
So what. I'm going to get sued if I don't include them? :U

No, but you look like an asshat that can't be bothered to spend fifteen minutes being descriptive of your pictures so visually impaired people can enjoy your site.  But then, if you're not including alt tags I very much doubt you're actually coding in a handicapped accessible style, so it's not like it really matters.

I'm just hoping Darkmoon doesn't decide to wander into this thread.  Although the lecture might be fun to read...

... and the company that hired you to build the page for them can get sued.

What that does to your hirability in the future is left as an exercise for the reader.
Wait. So we've gone from W3C Validator being hyper-strict to alt attribute laws to hypothetical situations where a company hired me to code their web site? Wheee. Time-jumping. :)

I think Darkmoon has some sort of telepathic ability that senses whenever someone mentions his name. :U

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 26, 2008, 03:09:09 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 26, 2008, 01:31:54 PM
... and the company that hired you to build the page for them can get sued.

What that does to your hirability in the future is left as an exercise for the reader.
Wait. So we've gone from W3C Validator being hyper-strict to alt attribute laws to hypothetical situations where a company hired me to code their web site? Wheee. Time-jumping. :)

No. Just explaining why the W3C validator is strict. There is a reason, it's not just because they want you to look like a prat.

Incidentally, you might want to consider trimming the quote ziggurats in your posts somewhat.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Damaris

It's not telepathy.  He just has spies.  Lots and lots of spies.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 26, 2008, 03:09:09 PM

One naturally leads to the other. A lack of alt tags is indicative of greater issue with your code. As such:

- If you don't have alt tags, what other issues are there in your code?
- If you have issues with your code (including alt tags), you won't be able to validate your CSS with most validation programs, since they require valid HTML/XHTML first.
- If you can't be bothered to write clean code, you obviously aren't very professional about you work (in this case, professional being used to mean "clean, concise, and well designed").
- If you don't code professionally, then, yes, you will have a greater issue getting a job in the real world, since they sort of like code that doesn't get them sued. Funny that.

Plus, if it's that big an issue to put in alt tags, well... that's honestly just pathetic.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

TheCrazyMeerkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 26, 2008, 04:44:33 PM
No. Just explaining why the W3C validator is strict. There is a reason, it's not just because they want you to look like a prat.

Incidentally, you might want to consider trimming the quote ziggurats in your posts somewhat.
I knew there was a reason; just didn't know the reasoning behind alt tags being required 'til now.

And by trimming, do you mean like how I cut out the two other quotes that were generated on the page, and cutting out things I'm not replying to when I quote something?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: The Crazy Meerkat on May 27, 2008, 10:33:41 AM
And by trimming, do you mean like how I cut out the two other quotes that were generated on the page, and cutting out things I'm not replying to when I quote something?

Correctamundo.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears