Steampunk does alot things....Specialy a telectroscope that sees quite far

Started by Zedd, May 24, 2008, 04:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/telectroscope/home.php Imagine you will this device based in NewYork than can spy all the way to London and back again. I thought it was crazy tourist trap if I ever saw it but damn that be awesome to peer at sometime! Wonder what other places be open to see sometime? Who knows. Its a big world to go around to.

Brunhidden

tunnels under the earth? why didnt we think of this sooner! i wanna take a train to sweden!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Raffe

Would be better to have gravity assisted shipping. Cheese(stilton) to America and New York bagels to Britain.  ...is the tunnel owned by either country? Is it technically nationless? But owned by a company? Set up your own country?
Hooray ellipsis!

Fragmaster01

It's a descriptive silly. They just set up a live feed from two cameras across the ocean, it's not actually a tunnel.
Ruins the magic to actually find out how they did it, but eh.

gh0st

it couldn't be real time because even light lags over long distances, much less electricity. even though it would be a minute lag if they did it with sound there would be an embarrassing good second of lag between conversations. unless you somehow sped up the light using anything from magnets to the right medium, you would be stuck with a lagging telescope into a far off world that is really only across the ocean.

llearch n'n'daCorna

130 milliseconds, gh0st.

Give or take a little. Depending on which side of America you're on.

It works out at just about an eighth of a second, which is enough to notice, but not enough to make it impossible to talk.

Do check your facts, next time. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Deebs' servant on May 26, 2008, 03:57:56 AM
Would be better to have gravity assisted shipping. Cheese(stilton) to America and New York bagels to Britain.  ...is the tunnel owned by either country? Is it technically nationless? But owned by a company? Set up your own country?

IIRC, national boundaries extend out 200 miles from shore. How far underground would a similar idea extend to? I seem to recall hearing something about mining rules regarding depth (back in the gold rush days). How high in the atmosphere (or into space) does national airspace sovereignty go?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen