in search of perfection.

Started by thegayhare, May 22, 2008, 03:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

ever find something that is so perfectly right for something you almost hate to use it because it it's almost too perfect?

I had to make that decision today.  I had 4 of the ultimate baking banana's ever sitting on my shelf.  They were spotless  there skins a rich dark black uniform with no blotches.  thick and leathery to the touch, but in side you could feel the soft delectible goodness.

They had sat there for a week slowly attaining that perfection.  Rarely does it ever come out so well.

I had a tough time breaching the banana's defenses the skin was so strong.  but I managed to get in threw a tiny weak spot and the aromatic contents spilled out into the bowel.

I  painstakingly searched my recipes.  Banana's of this perfection demanded only the finest of flavors.  I finally found the one that most honored the great bananas.

I tenderly creamed the butter and sugars, choosing only the best eggs to add, the finest vanilla fresh from Mexico.   

And now as the sweet smell wafts from my oven I feel I made the right choice.  thought perfect they were the bananas would not have stayed so forever and for them to go like this at the height  of perfection is only fitting.

LOL

sorry all I felt I had to do something a little silly as I started my AC baking. 

I hope no one minds

Raffe

hmmm...some sort of banana custard or filling?
Personally, my favorite thing to do with those kinds of bananas is a non-nut banana bread, baked so thats its still the tiniest bit jiggly.
Hooray ellipsis!

Kenji

Why do you torment me so? ;.;

Brunhidden

you remind me waaaaay too much of someone i already know, which is good
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ryudo Lee

So what is it exactly that you are making?  It sounds good so far.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Kenji

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 22, 2008, 04:56:28 PM
So what is it exactly that you are making?  It sounds good so far.

"Good"?
"GOOD"?!
When he bakes with bananas, it is more than just "good"! D:

Ryudo Lee

Um... yummy is what I meant to say?

thegayhare

Quote from: Kenji on May 22, 2008, 03:46:41 PM
Why do you torment me so? ;.;

I knew I'd get that reaction from you hon

and to answer the questions Banana breads. 
2 of them one with chocolate chips because my mom insisted and one with out so I could maintain the sacred purity of the banana

and Kenji dear don't worry at AC there will be banana Cookies, Banana cakes, and if you like I will even make a special banana bread just for you

Brunhidden

i am surprised nobody guessed bread- its the absolute best baked good to use overripe bananas for.

next time try zucchini bread, thats a challenge to make into a sweet treat

Dakata

Thanks, Gay, now we're all hungry! D:< Especially me.

I wish I could go to Anthrocon. :C

Alondro

It's the same way with pawpaws.  You have to nab them at just the right time, or they taste bitter.  They're very soft when ripe, and there's only about a 2-day window to pick them at peak ripeness before they start to decay.

Peaches and nectarines are like that too... and papaya!  It's almost impossible to get good papaya in the States, because they have to be shipped when green or they'll get squished.  Mangoes too, although sometimes you can get a good one if you know what to look for.

Then there's passion fruit.  I really don't know why it's so hard to find and so expensive.  The rind is like leather, they're tough and can take a beating.  Plus, the inside is all goo anyway, so it's not like it can get bruised.  And the vines grow like weeds in the tropics.  Yet those little ping-pong balls are priced at $1.99 each!

But they're soooo good...  I must buy them!   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

thegayhare

Quote from: Dak on May 22, 2008, 08:46:11 PM
Thanks, Gay, now we're all hungry! D:< Especially me.

I wish I could go to Anthrocon. :C

then my work here is done
*skips off to make chocolate chip cookies*

Kenji

I feel it is my sworn, civic duty to taste test all banana related baked goods for public consumption.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Kenji on May 23, 2008, 01:48:53 PM
I feel it is my sworn, civic duty to taste test all banana related baked goods for public consumption.

i don't think the rest of us would like 'recycled banana muffins'

Ryudo Lee

Don't think of them as recycled.  Think of them as "previously owned".

rabid_fox

Bananas shouldn't 'spill'. Christ.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 23, 2008, 05:27:26 PM
I can see you've never frozen a banana, have you?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

thegayhare

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 23, 2008, 05:27:26 PM

When they are just perfect for baking they are effectivly already mush.  So yes they spill.

hell if I'd wanted I could have squirted them they were that perfect 

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

thegayhare

7 dozen chocolate chip cookies are done now.

I'll start on the fruit flavored ones tomarrow

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Kenji

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Brunhidden

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on May 24, 2008, 03:59:06 AM
B-b-but I've never had bunnycooking... :<

Likewise, so you're not alone.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kenji