Gary Gygax, dead at 69

Started by Ryudo Lee, March 04, 2008, 05:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

It's one of those things that you knew was gonna happen, but you didn't want to happen...

Link to story

QuoteDungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69
By EMILY FREDRIX

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans, many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as January, she said.

"It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them," Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures with the help of complicated rules. The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that's still growing in popularity.

Funeral arrangements are pending. Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by six children.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

An auspicious age to die at.

A toast. To Gygax.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

I'd have to say he critically failed that last saving throw

I know I know a tasteless joke

Truthfully I was suprised,  I even talked to my mom about that artical and she was upset.  and she didn't even know who he was

bill

First person to make the saving throw joke gets ba-

oh wait

Fresnor

There's already some tributes out for him too now.  Just found this one.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Azlan

I think I'll run Temple of Elemental evil in tribute... and we will try not to break it this time.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Janus Whitefurr

Someone botch the resurrection so we can get liche Gygax to take over the gaming world.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on March 05, 2008, 02:47:40 AM
Someone botch the resurrection so we can get liche Gygax to take over the gaming world.

A guy like him, has to be epic level, so i say demilich.... unless he deserves something even beyond the epic level handbook.... megalich?

what i want to know most is what epitaph is on his tombstone, cause i have a feeling it will read something like 'my constitution has dropped to 0'
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sho

From a family full of D&Ders, I can say we are all dismayed.

My father, my brothers, and I all would have sworn each of our characters, all ranging from 1e, to 2e, and to the now of 3.5e, have taken off their magical headbands, their wise caps and hats, and their helms and circlets and proceed to mourn the one who sparked their creations.

My characters, a great many, descend from my father and the tales he has foretold me, the stories he spoke of great heroes and villains and grander magics and forces, and my father's characters, his originals which were born in the beginning were born of the very first.

My wish be not limited nor greater, but it be simple nonetheless.  It is a wish in earnest that the family be well, that the family be mindful.

Rakala

I dunno, at the levels he would be at he's gotta be looking into the rules for becoming a deity.

On a more serious note, yes he will be missed. To all gamers I say this.... we must game for those who can game no longer.

Netrogo

I keep trying to think of something to say but the words just aren't coming. Part of me wants to make some witty DnD related remark and part of me borders on wanting to bawl my brains out. I mean I didn't know the guy personally but the influence he's had in pretty much all our lives is astounding. The saddest thing is how many 'n00bs' out there will hear about this and not even freaking realize how much he's contributed to the gaming world. Stuff like 'Hur hur well I don't play DnD' will probably be coming idiocy on the net for days to come, little realizing his true impact on so many aspects of gaming culture from table to video.

Wherever you are now Gary I hope all your loot is epic, cuz you're campaining with the stars now.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Rakala

Seriously, people don't realize how many games are strongly based off of the DnD system. Like KOTOR used almost the exact the same level up system. The only difference it was Star Wars which is seperate from DnD but yes, uses the same basic system.

Darkmoon

It used the D20 system, a D&D property.

Sucks and all... but I really dislike D&D, so I'm not overly distraught over it.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Seth

We have lost a great icon, and perhaps gained a new god.

May his journey to the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia be fun and full of the adventure he always envisioned.
If you know what I did... Then kudos to you.