I wonder if Al Gore is still lauding China's environmentalism...

Started by Alondro, January 06, 2008, 08:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

... if so, maybe someone should show him this.

Chinese version of Rome

Yep, Communism's great, ain't it?  Cruelty to people, cruelty to animals, destroying everything to satisfy the party officials' twisted desires (which they can indulge in since they control every aspect of life).

Disgusting people.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

The Daily Wail is hardly the voice of neutrality and reason.  From what I've read of it, the thing loves to stir up trouble, so this would be right up their street.  Have you another source for it?  Preferably one that's less biased?

Having said that, and to be honest I can't say I'm enthralled about China of late, it does not look good.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

Well, I dunno if the title of this thread is quite right. I mean, animal produce a lot of methane gas, which is bad for the environment. In many ways, China is just helping to alleviate that problem...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Alondro

Quote from: Darkmoon on January 07, 2008, 12:36:24 AM
Well, I dunno if the title of this thread is quite right. I mean, animal produce a lot of methane gas, which is bad for the environment. In many ways, China is just helping to alleviate that problem...

Ah, but they're only wiping out endangered species of predators, which actually lower the amount of methane by eating gas-emitting herbivores.  So, in addition to their burning of huge amounts of low-grade coal with no scrubbers in the smoke-stacks, they're increasing both CO2 AND methane by their actions!

Greenpeace must act!  NUKE CHINA NOW TO SAVE TEH WURLD!!   >:O

:explosion
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Brunhidden

the only positive about china and the environment i know of is that they buy up outdated steel manufacturing equipment from other countries- one valley in germany for example had its giant steel furnace (the kind that just spews Mt. Doom style ash) bought, dismantled poorly by unskilled labor, removed, assembled even worse then it was back in germany in a crowded chinese city, and the crater the furnace used to be in is now an artificial lake project with crystal waters and a pleasant boardwalk district.

i kinda look forward to the olympics, where china is faced with reporters it cant just throw in jail for disagreeing with them or saying 'good lord, i have not seen the sun in seventeen days'

seriously, the yellow river is getting to the point you could walk on it, over a third of the country is plagued by acid rain, the 'fish factories' have industrial waste pumped into their waters, and the government has to put out warnings which days it is hazardous to leave a building. please stand by for the people who do not keel over to become mutants.

QuoteMy parents would read those books to me as well but they used to make me starving when I was a kid because they were always eating ham sandwiches with the crusts off and drinking ginger beer.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on January 06, 2008, 08:39:16 PMI wonder if Al Gore is still lauding China's environmentalism...

Just out of curiosity, when exactly was he lauding China's environmentalism?

Last I heard, he was laundering their money, but that's it.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 06, 2008, 09:30:08 PMThe Daily Wail is hardly the voice of neutrality and reason.  From what I've read of it, the thing loves to stir up trouble, so this would be right up their street.  Have you another source for it?  Preferably one that's less biased?

You'd prefer the Sun?  :P

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

He said "less", not "more"

The Scum is just as bad as the Daily Wail. Both are aimed at armchair theorists who probably don't even have an armchair, drink more than any three healthy people, and beat their wives.

Or so it appears to me...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Omega

ah, China....

The land of silk, spices and tea. Nowadays it's the place where your shirt is made from, where your job is going and holds more people than you can count with both hands. Even if the cities of that nation are well and wealthy, the country side is poor and polluted.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 07, 2008, 12:36:30 PMHe said "less", not "more"

Yeah, that's why I used the  :P smiley.

By the way, Rupert Murdoch has taken over the Wall Street Journal (which is probably more of a lateral move for them).  Can anyone familiar with the Times tell me what to expect from that?

P.S. At least the Mirror has good pictures.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Eibborn

Wait, someone thought that China was environmentally friendly?
/kicks the internet over

GabrielsThoughts

There overpopulation situation is so bad, I heard this guy  on the say radio they were threatening to destroy/ slaughter American (including the immigrants, who have been polluted by our culture)   because we are impure and our immorality corrupts this land, and afterwards they then intend to take over our country land... HA HA HA! More of the same, at odds with the entire globe. Yet, it makes one wonder why people want to immigrate here in the first place. freedom of opinion, the right to choose how to live your life, freedom of speech, the right to an attorney, innocence until proven guilty, beneficial welfare programs, the ability to let parents have more than one child without killing the previous one.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jim Halisstrad

Well shoot.  My furry license is going to have to be suspended/revoked.
I lol'ed hard at picture number 3.

Somebody photoshop a baby in that pic STAT!

Reese Tora

Reads like a piece specifically written to piss people off.

Lions kill and eat other animals.  Yes, the method that the zoo uses is distasteful, especailly since the lions and tigers never had to learn how to kill as they would have in the wild, and the way that zoos house animals is generally somewhere down the scale of inhumane in any case(not just in China), but the article is so strongly slanted to make the average reader hate the "slant eyed devils" it's not even funny.

This strikes me as the writer having an agenda that has nothing to do with preventing cruelty.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

superluser

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on January 09, 2008, 02:01:54 AMSomebody photoshop a baby in that pic STAT!

I think a caption would be better.

``For those of you just joining us, today we're teaching poodles how to fly.''

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 09, 2008, 03:49:09 AM
the article is so strongly slanted to make the average reader hate the "slant eyed devils" it's not even funny.  This strikes me as the writer having an agenda that has nothing to do with preventing cruelty.

Yep, that seems to be the basic modus operandi of the Daily Mail.  As you say, a piece specifically written to piss people off.
My grandmother used to read it.  I remember years back when they got her into a frothing rage about how much money the royal family was wasting.
Dad pointed out that if the monarchy was abolished the money would simply disappear into the Treasury instead, which shut her up really quickly  :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Actually, no matter how you look at it, if Chinese zoos are actually doing all these things (and it's hard to find many reports of what actually goes on in that country because it's so heavily censored), it would certainly tend to lessen people's care for animals.

Like I said, it hearkens back to Rome.  Psychologically, using the death of animals as entertainment cheapens the value of life overall, and tends to generate overall cruelty and apathy.

Valynth

Quote from: Alondro on January 09, 2008, 10:26:46 AM
Like I said, it hearkens back to Rome.  Psychologically, using the death of animals as entertainment cheapens the value of life overall, and tends to generate overall cruelty and apathy.

I thought the value of life in China was as low as it got...  It'd be a neat trick to see them lower it even further....
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

Quote from: Valynth on January 09, 2008, 09:33:09 PM
Quote from: Alondro on January 09, 2008, 10:26:46 AM

I thought the value of life in China was as low as it got...  It'd be a neat trick to see them lower it even further....

They've kinda always been that way in some parts... need I mention Cantonese cuisine?   Three Scream Mice, anyone?  Live monkey brains?  Boiled donkey legs (boiled while the donkey is still alive)?

I've seen pictures from the 1980's where live tigers were tied with their legs spread to each corner of a cage and pieces were cut from them.

And I've seen worse than that.

In perfect seriousness, I really have seen the very worst of humanity.  Far too often.  I suppose that's one reason I don't fear any animal at all.  Having seen what humans do to each other, what's the point in fearing an animal that at worst will just kill you.  At least they don't tie you down and slowly slice you to bits over days and days, making sure to keep you alive for their enjoyment.

It takes a sentient mind to know how to do something merciful but it takes the very same to also conjure means of unspeakable cruelty.  It's the sad dichotomy of the mind, which too often trends toward the latter ideas.

Goatmon

superluser

Quote from: Goatmon on January 10, 2008, 04:54:15 AMWhat does PETA have to say about this? 

*Snerk*

Sorry, but we've already got too many sheep.  Better kill `em!

/SPCA fan.