Sweeney Todd

Started by Nikki, December 24, 2007, 03:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

Ok, i went to see this movie for the sake of seeing Johnny Depp again.

Now, i am not a good movie critic, i'll like almost anything that's funny or really awesome. but this movie....

I loved it. Truly loved it. More than Transformers. More than Pirates. (This coming from me can be considered scary)

started off REALLY slow (people left the theatre), but it picked up. If you're too smart, you figure out the ending really quickly. The ending itself, if you don't guess it too soon, is really surprising.

The music. It was totally..well...moving. The songs were pretty good, and i'll admit, i squealed when Johnny sang for the first time.

Now let's get to the gore.

the blood is so red it is obviously fake. I'll admit, i got tired of all of it after the...4th throat-slashing. (Yes, there's a crapload of throat-slashings)

Depp did an AWESOME job, and so did Bonham-Carter.

Really good movie, and i think it's totally worth it to go see it in the theatre.

(ok, ok, horrible review, but you other peeps'll take care of the nitty-gritty stoofs. If ya post spoilers, i'll edit the title accordingly)

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Alondro

My high school did the play for the school show long ago.  It was incredibly well-done, but then our drama teacher was excellent and I had a feeling it would be, and we had a guy who was eerily suited to the role of an insane psychotic barber... he fit the part very well... perhaps TOO well...

I do want to see the movie, it looks like it's quite good.  And it's pretty much in keeping with Tim Burton's themes of creepy bizarreness. 

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nikki

It's so Bizarre it's almost TOO good.

but the blood =w= i was like...'Okay, if it looked real, i wouldn't get tired of it so fast...'

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Valynth

Quote from: Xze-Xze on December 26, 2007, 01:23:54 AM
It's so Bizarre it's almost TOO good.

but the blood =w= i was like...'Okay, if it looked real, i wouldn't get tired of it so fast...'

Bah, you young-uns and your colored blood, why back in my day, you didn't have any color and you could use chocolate syrup on a shower wall to look like blood!  Hell, you didn't even get to see the wound that sprayed the blood!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Nikki

Talkin' 'bout Psycho? 8D

ah, good times, the old times...*totally does not remember those movies*

Reese Tora

Quote from: Alondro on December 25, 2007, 12:21:25 PM
My high school did the play for the school show long ago.  It was incredibly well-done, but then our drama teacher was excellent and I had a feeling it would be, and we had a guy who was eerily suited to the role of an insane psychotic barber... he fit the part very well... perhaps TOO well...

I do want to see the movie, it looks like it's quite good.  And it's pretty much in keeping with Tim Burton's themes of creepy bizarreness. 

I'm almost afraid to ask, but... you wern't in that production of Sweeny Todd, were you?
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Sunblink

I desperately want to see this movie.

I normally hate musicals, because at times integrating musical numbers into the plot makes me cringe, but I watched the trailer and I absolutely fell in love. I'm not a squealing fangirl of Johnny Depp. Not even his performance in Pirates of the Caribbean made me part of his fanbase, even though I approved of it. But seeing a glimpse of how powerful he looked in the trailer immediately made me want to see the film. Plus... well, his singing voice ain't half bad either.

It's been a long time since I've practically foamed at the mouth in my desperation to want to see a movie.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Alondro

I wonder how human-meat pies taste...

*looks at the peoples*  I-I wonder what you taste like... Hubert Cumberdale...

:kruger
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Damaris

We went yesterday (our plan to see it Christmas day was thwarted- stupid conservative vacation spots!).

I think that while they did well, the vocal talents of the main characters were somewhat overwhelmed, they're just not professional singers, which isn't their fault.  However, they didn't detract from the story at all, so good on them!

My favorite review thus far was that the movie was "unrelenting."  I think that hit the nail right on the head.

I do wish Burton hadn't done the factory montage again, though.  It felt to plasticy and weird, especially coming right after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

I'm watching it thinking that it really was a creepy version of the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory montage. I was waiting for the storybook narrator to start telling us about a sad little boy that lived in a crooked little house... on Fleet Street.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Sunblink

For me, the saddest thing is that people are already writing Mary-Sue fan fiction pairing their OCs with Sweeney.

And not one of them ended with Sweeney slitting their throats with his razor. I'm deeply saddened by this.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Wait a few days. The ones who will have a better class of writing.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

What, the vore fanfics are next?

Zina

Why's it always so dark and gloomy in London?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zina on December 29, 2007, 02:20:50 PM
Why's it always so dark and gloomy in London?
Up until the 50s or 60s they burned a huge amount of coal, which covered everything in soot.  To this day, you can still get a handkerchief full of soot if you blow your nose in the underground, or so I've heard.
But no, I've never really liked central London, because parts of it really are dark, gloomy and full of destitute people, which really freaked me out as a kid  :B

I guess I'll have to see the film at some point, and see if they've done the usual trick of filming bits of it in Bath because it looks more Victorian than London itself...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah... it's not -every- time you go on the underground, but yes, you -can- blow large amounts of dark crap out of your nose, fairly frequently.

Joe3210

Weren't there an Edward Scissor Hands reference in that movie? :kruger
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

LionHeart

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 29, 2007, 01:31:14 PM
For me, the saddest thing is that people are already writing Mary-Sue fan fiction pairing their OCs with Sweeney.

And not one of them ended with Sweeney slitting their throats with his razor. I'm deeply saddened by this.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

With Mary-Sues, that's pretty much par for the course...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Goatmon

Saw it.  Liked it, but didn't love it.

Depp was perfect for the role, I feel, but the singing just didn't kick in the way I feel it should in a musical.  It seemed rather forced, to me.  The beginning was seriously weak, and I know I'm not alone on that.  I was honestly tempted to walk out early on but I kept myself grounded on the assumption that it would get better, and it did.  It got loads better as it got farther along. 

The gore was a bit much (Though as a particular squeamish guy I'm hardly one to judge) but you can't help but chuckle at seeing Sweeny killing people left and right without any remorse as he sings along.  It's funny with how nonchalant he does it.  What's more, I came into the film expecting it to be exactly that so I had no qualms with it.

Overall, good movie and a good cast.  It's just too bad Danny Elfman wasn't involved to tweak the songs more to my liking. :p

rabid_fox

London is grey and has a bad accent.

As for the film - the Depp Franchise is starting to wear thin, I think. In the last...five or so films I've seen with him in, he's played "I'm Johnny Depp, hilariously camp for a straight guy!" to varying degrees and frankly, has spoiled what could have been excellent films otherwise. I'm very, very wary of this, even though I'm a huge fan of B-Carter's method acting. Wait for DVD release for me, I reckon.

Oh dear.

Angel

I loved this movie. Depp was amazingly perfect (and his singing voice wasn't so bad), Helena Bonham Carter ruled as always, Alan Rickman creeped me out nicely, and Sacha Baron Cohen's small role rocked beyond belief. And yes, the blood was laughably fake, but that didn't really take away from the film at all.

My only complaint is that they cut out parts of songs or, in a few cases, whole songs. I almost wish they'd done the scene from the beginning of the play for the intro. There were a few lyrics missing from "Have a Little Priest" (though nothing could make me hate the way they did the song). And why did they cut out the "Kiss Me" song? 
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Alondro

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 29, 2007, 01:39:57 PM

Nope, the cannibal ones.  I suspect "Silence of the Lambs" crossovers are in the offing.   :P

Hannible, the Musical?   :erk

Brunhidden

Well, there is 'alive' and i think 'gacy' is a movie too... but i figure you as more of a person waiting to see 'Jeoffrey Dahmer' the musical.

actually, i would wanna see that too.

QuoteEvery minute you are thinking of evil, you might have been thinking of good instead. Refuse to pander to a morbid interest in your own misdeeds. Pick yourself up, be sorry, shake yourself, and go on again.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Angel

Quote from: Alondro on December 30, 2007, 08:17:36 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on December 29, 2007, 01:39:57 PM

Nope, the cannibal ones.  I suspect "Silence of the Lambs" crossovers are in the offing.   :P

Hannible, the Musical?   :erk

Actually, there already has been a Silence of the Lambs musical. It may just have been at the Goodspeed, I'm not sure; but still.  >:3
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 30, 2007, 09:50:44 AM
As for the film - the Depp Franchise is starting to wear thin, I think. In the last...five or so films I've seen with him in, he's played "I'm Johnny Depp, hilariously camp for a straight guy!" to varying degrees and frankly, has spoiled what could have been excellent films otherwise. I'm very, very wary of this, even though I'm a huge fan of B-Carter's method acting. Wait for DVD release for me, I reckon.

Hmm. His last 5 published films were: Sweeney Todd, PotC (three variants of) and Corpse Bride. If you count all PotC as one, the next one back is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Libertine.

Whilst he does a lot of "I'm camp", which he's good at, that's going back as far as 2004.

Since 2001, he's done: "Blow", "From Hell", Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", "Once Upon A Time In Mexico", "Secret Window", "King Of The Hill" (voice), "Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants", "Finding Neverland", "The Libertine", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "Corpse Bride" (voice), "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow" (voice), "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End", "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"

And he's also worked on "Public Enemies", "Shantaram", and "The Rum Diary", and is rumoured to be on Sin City 2 & 3.

I don't know about you, but that's a hell of a lot of work. If you've only seen 5 movies out of that, it's entirely possible you've only seen ones in which he's been cast as flamboyant and camp... The man is -gifted-.

(information lifted from http://imdb.com/name/nm0000136/ )

Alondro

Quote from: Reese Tora on December 26, 2007, 05:33:31 PM
Quote from: Alondro on December 25, 2007, 12:21:25 PM

I'm almost afraid to ask, but... you wern't in that production of Sweeny Todd, were you?

No...

I AM Sweeny Todd!   :mwaha

:scaredkitty

Nikki

He IS gifted.

As for the movie...

Seen it 5 times so far ^0^ gonna go see it again soon..it's damn good, i tell ye...

Nikki

My High School is gonna perform the musical!!! 8DDD

and guess who's Mrs. Lovett!? *beams with pride*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Darkmoon

Quote from: Xze-Xze on January 21, 2008, 07:55:29 PM
My High School is gonna perform the musical!!! 8DDD

and guess who's Mrs. Lovett!? *beams with pride*

One of the cheerleaders?
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...