Eternal Rains (OOC) [M] - Closed

Started by Sunblink, December 22, 2007, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

If what you were using was the glow effect, it only works on some versions of MSIE, which I never use, even on Windows machines.

As for forum themes, the original DMFA forum on The Nice had a purple Mow/Mab theme.  Most people who migrated from that board to CMF use that one.

Here's an example:  http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/cbpoll.jpg
(Also a good example of Amber in primal wrath mode)

As you can see, instead of white text on a black background it's black text on pastel shades.  Hence if you do weird tricks with font colours, or do a poord job of making a transparent avatar, you can easily end up with something that only works with certain colour schemes.

But I digress.

**EDIT**

Keaton, I must admit I was expecting a bit more of an 'Uh...?' moment from Keaton when Cross subtly admits that he's an incubus.  Unless she already guessed from his own mind-shield, of course...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2008, 05:31:19 PM
Keaton, I must admit I was expecting a bit more of an 'Uh...?' moment from Keaton when Cross subtly admits that he's an incubus.  Unless she already guessed from his own mind-shield, of course...

Shit. Admittedly, I was a little out of it when I was writing the post, so I probably misread the posts and accidentally excluded that. I'll go back and adjust it.

EDIT: Ooookay, the post is edited.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Tezkat

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 03, 2008, 04:20:40 PM
Hey, Tezkat, you guy has seven different personalitites, and from what I can tell, two (or all seven) are 'talking' to each other. You think you can come up with some sort of color-coded text denoting who's who? Like this?

He has six. In theory, there should be a seventh personality (it normally works out to a core personality and six helpers--one for each tendril), but each of the six here represents an established character with a body of dialogue in other RPs or stories. Given that Fang and Edge both represent the original Tezkat (reflecting him pre- and post-SAIA, respectively), I couldn't figure out who the seventh personality would be, so I just cut him. Maybe he'll turn up later. Who knows? :3

(I suppose one could argue that there is already a seventh personality: The face that they share when acting in public. But that Tezkat is a lie. >:])

Regardless, I won't be formally attributing their dialogue. I dislike that even in ordinary fiction, and the colour thing is just ugly (I use Firefox, too). Ultimately, my goal is to make each character's personality and style of speech sufficiently distinctive for someone to figure out who's speaking. Stylistically, that's important, too. I want to convey some of what it must be like to have a jumble of voices sharing one's head. Furthermore, people around him aren't supposed to know that they're speaking to a different person from one minute to the next unless they can cue in on small changes in speech and behaviour.

Speaking of unreadable text... e_voyager posted a bit today with black text that disappeared neatly into default theme. :dface

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2008, 04:37:17 PM
...and yes, it does seem to be possible to have a stay in the Academy of under a century, but since the norm seems to be around 300, I imagine you'd miss out on a bunch of stuff.  In UK terms it would be like taking an HND (2 years) as opposed to a full degree (4 years).

I think a better analog is that he took the 4-year degree program, did a few summer courses and even audited some grad level seminars, but ultimately dropped out halfway through for a sweet industry start-up with lots of stock options. But I digress... :animesweat

Since when does mind shield = Cubi/Creature? They seem to be fairly standard issue among Adventurers.

Speaking of which... does anyone here not have a mind shield?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Witt doesn't. Other than, y'know, primal rage...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aisha deCabre

I'm wondering if it's only 'Cubi who know how to do the mind-shield thing.  Another could probably get one through either a 'Cubus's help or by magic objects.  But I don't want to assume everything.  One doubts if patches even exist in AU-Furrae.   :rolleyes

Regardless, no, Aisha doesn't have one either.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

bill

Given the whole creature-being thingy, I'd imagine that there'd be a huge market for thingies that make creatures look less like creatures.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tezkat on January 03, 2008, 06:09:05 PM
Speaking of unreadable text... e_voyager posted a bit today with black text that disappeared neatly into default theme. :dface
I thought that was deliberate InvisiText... :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 03, 2008, 06:09:05 PM

Since when does mind shield = Cubi/Creature? They seem to be fairly standard issue among Adventurers.

There are at least two distinct types of mind-shield, probably three.

Ordinary Beings who want to keep their minds free of intrusion will use a distraction technique, thinking of other things, e.g. law texts to keep thought-readers out.  This is mentioned in the 'Cubi Powers series, but the same basic principle is used in Dr. Who - Invasion of Time.  Amber once wrote that even Dan would likely know some mental exercises to prevent a foe from being able to anticipate his moves.

Being mages are able to cast a spell to protect their thoughts, as per Pegasus and co in 706.  Note that Abel is surprised (and scared) by the fact that they have mind-shields, so it's obviously not common among Beings.  In that group, likely one of the mages cast a spell on each member, in the same basic way as Abel did on Jyrras.

Finally, we have 'Cubi mind-shields.  IMHO, and this is mostly guesswork, these are distinct from Being mind-shields, but it follows.  Firstly, not being able to shield your mind as a natural ability would not be a good survival trait among 'Cubi.  In fact, if you look at 488, Fa'Lina is implying that Dan is an unusual case in that he hasn't figured out how to do it.
Now, if we return to Abel and Jyrras in 576, you'll notice that Abel is having trouble getting it to work at first, which implies he's using a very different technique to his own internal mind-shield.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that an experienced 'Cubi will be able to tell the different between each type of shield, having a different 'texture' so to speak.  Certainly they would be able to tell a normal adventurer's mental tricks from a magical shield.

QuoteSpeaking of which... does anyone here not have a mind shield?
Most of the Beings won't.  Other Creatures, e.g. Aisha may or may not.  That's up to them, I guess.

**EDIT**
Quote from: BillBuckner on January 03, 2008, 06:28:36 PM
Given the whole creature-being thingy, I'd imagine that there'd be a huge market for thingies that make creatures look less like creatures.

Oh, indeed.  Remember the Creature->Being morphing amulet in Abel's Story and the Kria shopping expedition.  It's going to be pretty much essential if you plan to spend time among Beings and you don't have a natural shapeshifting ability.

Sunblink

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on January 03, 2008, 06:25:42 PM
I'm wondering if it's only 'Cubi who know how to do the mind-shield thing.  Another could probably get one through either a 'Cubus's help or by magic objects.  But I don't want to assume everything.  One doubts if patches even exist in AU-Furrae.   :rolleyes

Regardless, no, Aisha doesn't have one either.

I don't think patches like the ones Jyrras manufactures exist, but artifacts and enchanted items like the one Kria wears do exist. Naerik, head of the Sabanethei-Damianus family, specializes in magical trinkets of all kinds (mostly forbidden, malicious ones such as the kind which mutilate the skin or turn you into a newt... though he does deal with some more innocuous kinds, such as the ones which hide one's wings). Magical Creature-to-Being morphing accessories and artifacts are really desired, so they're quite profitable. So Bill is right.

For once :B

Nah, I'm just kidding, Bill. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

bill

u on the fast track for a kick in th ass muthafuka  >:O

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2008, 06:37:20 PM
I think it is a reasonable assumption that an experienced 'Cubi will be able to tell the different between each type of shield, having a different 'texture' so to speak.  Certainly they would be able to tell a normal adventurer's mental tricks from a magical shield.

The latter is fairly obvious, but I'm not sure about your first assertion. Amber described thought reading as a passive process, like listening to the radio. Since mind shields don't normally shield emotions, Cubi might perceive that as something like a TV signal with the audio cut out. They'd know that something was out of the ordinary, but I don't see how they would be able to distinguish one kind of silence from another. Performing the feat you describe would presumably require some kind of active interaction with the target (to which telepaths might not respond favourably) or reliance on other sensory modalities (such as detecting the enchantment used in the shielding spell).

Anyways, that last bit italicized thought text was thinking out loud over Tezkat's mind shield(s) for the benefit of any telepaths in the room.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 04, 2008, 02:40:48 AM
Amber described thought reading as a passive process, like listening to the radio. Since mind shields don't normally shield emotions, Cubi might perceive that as something like a TV signal with the audio cut out. They'd know that something was out of the ordinary, but I don't see how they would be able to distinguish one kind of silence from another.

As you mentioned, I was thinking more that they could detect the enchantment itself, whereas with a 'Cubi it's more likely to be an innate ability that doesn't show up in the same way.  It's interesting that in 587, Aary seems to not only have done this but actually bypassed the shield to some degree.

In any case, that's how I'm thinking Jakob would be able to identify Creatures, and make a reasonable guess as to whether the target is a 'Cubi or not.

e_voyager

how does mind reading work against the undead especially those who tend not the think about this on the top of their head but usually try to internalizing their thoughts so that their emotions and outer appearance does not show that they are thinking of something? also for the mind readers i added a little extra to a few post.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on January 04, 2008, 10:42:52 AM
how does mind reading work against the undead?

No idea.  However, we do know that Undead have to have a whole brain in order to live.  From there we can guess that the brain is in some way working, so my guess is that you could indeed read their minds, depends on whether they had a mind-shield or not while they were alive.

e_voyager

Epyon was trained for many things in life but has no magic mind shield as such so of  his thought might pop up on cubi raider but i suspect that most of the time his mind would read like a muddy water abyss. for the sake of fun i've added a few things to a couple of post for the intended mind readers. there are things that Eypon has concentrated on loud enough to be heard without using his training focus / hide his intent. it's a skill all his tribe are schooled in because of what their third eye abilities revile and it makes shopping for a deal easier if the merchant isn't able to read every shift in you mood / energy patten to know when he's close to hook you or losing you. most pick it up to be second nature in there early adult life but considering  Epyon's state of mind he's bound to slip form time to time reveling things of use or random data. 
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 04:50:30 AM
As you mentioned, I was thinking more that they could detect the enchantment itself, whereas with a 'Cubi it's more likely to be an innate ability that doesn't show up in the same way.

Even so, that's not necessarily reliable. Even if they did have natural mental barriers not based on magic (and so far the only explicit mind shields we've seen in canon DMFA have been spell based), Cubi could use spells to supplement their defences or hide their race from other telepaths.

Cross's current line of inquiry here just strikes me as a bit on the metagamey side. Or maybe evidence of a very Cubi-centric myopia on Cross's part with respect to telepathy. :animesweat

QuoteIt's interesting that in 587, Aary seems to not only have done this but actually bypassed the shield to some degree.

I see a number of explanations for that, the most likely being that Jyrras didn't actually have a mind shield at the time. Someone bashed Abel over the head before he could finish installing it. Another could be that magical mind shields are automagical versions of the ditty singing and textbook reading--broadcasting garbage on an endless loop. The latter strikes me as unlikely, though the comic possibilities are endless. :3

Quote from: e_voyager on January 04, 2008, 10:42:52 AM
how does mind reading work against the undead especially those who tend not the think about this on the top of their head but usually try to internalizing their thoughts so that their emotions and outer appearance does not show that they are thinking of something? also for the mind readers i added a little extra to a few post.

I'd assume that mind and thought reading works for anything with a mind, not just active biological entities.

For the time being, I'll be following the convention that any italicized thought text appearing in the on-camera segments of my posts is him thinking out loud for public consumption. I'll keep my private mental dialogue in separate sections.

Lushin

I'm having Sheabus know Dani's name cause well he's worked as a bodyguard in the area for a while and has done work for most of the familys there. May not know him personally but I'm sure he knows him through the works he's done.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 04, 2008, 03:01:19 PM
Even so, that's not necessarily reliable. Even if they did have natural mental barriers not based on magic (and so far the only explicit mind shields we've seen in canon DMFA have been spell based), Cubi could use spells to supplement their defences or hide their race from other telepaths.

I still say that a 24/25-year old incubus is not going to spontaneously invent a mind-shield spell.  As an aside, if there are any more 'Cubi left for Cross to detect, and their owners want him not to, let me know.  It's a bit late to do that for Tezkat's character.

QuoteCross's current line of inquiry here just strikes me as a bit on the metagamey side. Or maybe evidence of a very Cubi-centric myopia on Cross's part with respect to telepathy. :animesweat

Part of it is a wry observation on my part that given 'Cubi have effectively vanished (see Keaton's first post in this thread), there is a remarkable number of them in one place, almost as though they're being drawn to the tavern.  Trying to maintain the suspension of disbelief, I guess :P

Anyway, from the outset I've been trying to approach it as "This one might be a 'Cubi", rather than having Cross able to tell unerringly what kind of Creature someone is (which would after all, be stupid).   The possibility that someone might have designed an amulet to fake a 'Cubi mind-shield cannot be discounted, after all.

QuoteI see a number of explanations for that, the most likely being that Jyrras didn't actually have a mind shield at the time. Someone bashed Abel over the head before he could finish installing it.
Yes, I think we covered that in the thread for today's strip (861) quite well >:3

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 03:38:41 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on January 04, 2008, 03:01:19 PM

I still say that a 24/25-year old incubus is not going to spontaneously invent a mind-shield spell.  As an aside, if there are any more 'Cubi left for Cross to detect, and their owners want him not to, let me know.  It's a bit late to do that for Tezkat's character.

The mental shield that Fa'Lina placed on Dan was a reverse mind shield. As we saw in 555 and 588, it filtered only incoming thoughts and emotions and didn't prevent other Cubi from reading his thoughts. I'd hypothesize that Cubi naturally develop tricks and mental strategies to keep all the thoughts and emotions in the environment from driving them insane. Humans develop similar filters to tune out background noise in the workplace, for instance. Fa'Lina's spell therefore could be compared to wearing earplugs in a noisy environment that the co-workers are already used to.

Shielding one's outgoing thoughts, on the other hand, likely requires significant mental discipline or magical assistance. It's possible that a Cubi who hadn't received such training would never learn how to do it.

lucas marcone

Quote from: Daimien on January 04, 2008, 03:27:02 PM
I'm having Sheabus know Dani's name cause well he's worked as a bodyguard in the area for a while and has done work for most of the family's there. May not know him personally but I'm sure he knows him through the works he's done.

my thoughts exactly.

by the way Dani needs to get his protection money from the barkeep or else there might be consequences

Ren

(Don't know if your still accepting peeps, if not just rudely yell at me to leave XD)

Name: Ren Scorch
Nickname(s): Scorcher, Silver.
Race: Dragon
Species: Sleeper, ( other form Cat)
Family: Blue Scorch (Alive) Relcore Scorch (Alive)

Hair: Dragon: Um, None. Other: Blue
Eye: Both: Green
Fur Coloration: Dragon Scale color: Silver, Blue wings. Other: Silver color fur, with blue front paws and feet.
Appearance: Dragon: about the size of a large horse, his tail is long an skinny, looks a bit like a whip, its also about maybe 6 feet long. He also has a large wing span so he need room so he can take off. he also has two white horns that jet out the back of his head about two feet. black color claws. Feathered wings, he stands on all fours. He skinny looks like he more build for speed.

Other: He other form is a cat, with Feather wings that falls in portion of his body, He also a skinny speed build. His tail has no fluff on it, His ears have some fur that come off and falls in front of his ear, giving him a bit of a funny look to him.Looks like he need more meat on his bones.

Combat Abilities: Hand to hand, Blades, Military weapons, Anything that shoots, or slashes, normally he can use.
Strengths: super power strength, intelligence he can quickly learn diffrent things, even tho it not perfict. Flying, as he does have wings. Team based Magic.
Weaknesses: Ego, The weakness over shine objects (horder of anything golden and shiny), never back down in games/fights. Being a little to Proud, His magic staima is liminted, most of his magic is based on team work of another, and only has a few spells, that will affect himself...
Weapon(s): Two pistols and a Silver claymore slung on his back in his other form. He does not have to dismount these weapons before changing, but they disappear.

History: Nothing is known about him except from his Two brothers, He will not talk about his history eather, he will fall into a silence about it.

Disposition: As normal he has a normal dislike of cubi, but he slowly been shown the light in his years that not all cubi are bad.. Just most are. He normally though automatically judes a other race lower then himself if they are not dragon

Trivia: wears normally only a camo coat, camo jeans and heavy combat boots, he looks like he ready to fight in war

Quote: "I Will fight, and I WILL win!"

techmaster-glitch

Well, C&K, it looks like your RP is so wildly popular that it has single-handedly caused a delurk for the singlular purpose of joining this RP :erk

Sunblink

Hi there Ren. :>

Well... I might as well start, and hope I don't sound dreadfully rude or repugnant as I say this.

First off... the character is way too overpowered. No real, specific weaknesses (it seems the character is only limited by... well, this is where my rant on page 3 or so comes into account), unspecific strength, plus the grammar and spelling is off. I think I recall your participation in the Castle waaaaaaaay back in the first few (I say "few" very, very roughly, since that RP is monster-fugging-huge by now). If you make some adjustments, I think we can accept your character - it'd be interesting to see how a Dragon will interact in a party with three Cubi in it. >:3

Mind you, this is where I also extend a request to all players to be a bit more precise with spelling, grammar, and spelling structure so to make posts more readable. This isn't really going to be a very casual RP, and is going to be very story-driven.

Sooner or later we're also going to have to close applications, too, since, goddamn, if/once Ren gets his modified application in, we'd have sixteen players altogether. Holy shit this is FANTASTIC. If a little disorientating. XD Thanks, everybody, for your participation! To express my gratitude, I shall dance for you.

:boogie

~Keaton the Black Jackal

lucas marcone

keats you're in the honor circle as well..... you should be skilled at rping with 15+ characters :P

Sunblink

Quote from: lucas marcone on January 05, 2008, 12:01:04 AM
keats you're in the honor circle as well..... you should be skilled at rping with 15+ characters :P

Ohsnap, you have a point. XD But still, this is getting really, really shocking.

Speaking of Honor Circle, I should probably work on some posts for that...

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 04, 2008, 11:25:49 PM
Sooner or later we're also going to have to close applications, too, since, goddamn, if/once Ren gets his modified application in, we'd have sixteen players altogether. Holy shit this is FANTASTIC. If a little disorientating. XD Thanks, everybody, for your participation! To express my gratitude, I shall dance for you.

Seventeen.

Already playing are Keaton, Cog, Damien, Aisha, SpottedKitty, spanky, techmaster-glitch, Boogeyman, Snuggles, Tapewolf, Bill, Mel, Paladin, lucas, and Tezkat. And I, of course.

What, you didn't look at the page I set up? ;-]

(incidentally, I've made a couple of minor updates to Witt's page - note that -I- didn't know about either of these, but hedgehogs apparently have some immunity to snake venom, and they anoint their spines. Now, your average hedgehog does it with whatever he runs across, and the theory goes that it's to make the hog smell "local" to predators, and hence harder to track. Witt being who he is, he's using laxatives and Capsiacin. Anyone who's interested in the effects is welcome to look those up on wikipedia...
The other update is merely to clarify about his lack of magic under weaknesses.)

Tapewolf

Good choice of Ren to have what amounts to a Dragon toddler, I think.  If he was of normal age and abilities, he'd have made Snuggle's Tri-Wing character look like a Being.  On the other hand, a 125-year old Dragon would be more along the lines of Dan - full of powers and capabilities he can't use yet.

Ren

normally when i make a char I still give him limints in my mind and example lets say just for the heck of it He fights some one with much less magic abuilty then him, well the other could win cause Ren's spell could back fire, or the other cast their's faster then him. Even if I don't put it, It still there XD.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Daimien, is your char named "Sheebus" or "Sheabus" ? You wrote his profile using the former, and you've used the latter in play...