Eternal Rains (OOC) [M] - Closed

Started by Sunblink, December 22, 2007, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2007, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2007, 07:06:16 PM
I was going to pour a bucket of water over them, but hey...

Now that's a possible workable solution. ;-]

Edit:
I've set up http://llearch.net/misc/rp/ with a set of quick descriptions and links to the full descriptions of everyone playing, along with character names and player names...

Should make it easier to refer to than scraping through the whole OOC thread.

major props mister box.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Paladin Sheppard

E at the moment Paige is only wearing A long sleeve shirt jeans and boots.

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

oh, come on, Tez. You're killing me here!

*mutters imprecations as he wanders off to update the webpage...*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 02, 2008, 11:39:27 AM

Might it not be an idea to wait until Keaton and/or Cog have blessed him?  In my honest opinion Tezkat's character looked a little overpowered...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2008, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 02, 2008, 11:39:27 AM

Might it not be an idea to wait until Keaton and/or Cog have blessed him?  In my honest opinion Tezkat's character looked a little overpowered...

Ah, c'mon man, I'm not the Pope. :3 [/endquote]

I'll have to check with my Co-GM, but I think it looks alright. He's a bit powerful, but nothing I'm worried about. I don't think Keaton's going to be on today either, so there may be a bit of a delay on approval. That said, I don't anticipate any problems.

Sunblink

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 02, 2008, 11:48:29 AM

Ah, c'mon man, I'm not the Pope. :3 [/endquote]

I'll have to check with my Co-GM, but I think it looks alright. He's a bit powerful, but nothing I'm worried about. I don't think Keaton's going to be on today either, so there may be a bit of a delay on approval. That said, I don't anticipate any problems.

Surprise buttsecks appearance from the pits of hell. Osnap.

I combed over the profile from head to toe, and everything seems alright to me as well. It kind of amuses me that Tezkat has the youngest Cubi character in the group (Keaton's in her 500s, Cross is in his 900s, and I believe Anton is in his 1,000s), and I have a soft spot for the multiple personality types. :3 I say you're approved, Tez. Welcome aboard.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 02, 2008, 12:17:08 PM
It kind of amuses me that Tezkat has the youngest Cubi character in the group (Keaton's in her 500s, Cross is in his 900s, and I believe Anton is in his 1,000s)

Well, a fully-trained 'Cubi seems to spend an average of 300 years at SAIA.  From his profile, Tezkat seems to have missed out on that, which means he could conceivably be much younger.  By way of comparison, Dorcan is about 300 years total - I assumed his stay at the Academy was relatively brief.  (Jakob's age was basically mine scaled up to a 'Cubi lifespan)

What raised eyebrows for me with Tezkat is that he's able to defeat other Creatures, apparently with relative ease, if he does it for fun.  When you consider Amber's recent assertion that Kria would have totally pasted Aniz (who seems to have been SAIA-trained)... with the minimal training he seems to have had, the only way I see him doing that is Adventurer-style, or by using his apparent splitting ability to try and overwhelm them.

According to Abel it takes decades to master shapeshifting.  We don't know how long it takes to learn to do the soul-manipulation stuff, so it might all be doable within a century.  I just can't shake the feeling that he's a little young for what he can do.  Still, that's just my opinion.

Cogidubnus

I don't know about that, Tape. From what it seems like from his profile, his background would have facilitated a fairly high learning curve - and it also seems like he has a clan affinity for shapeshifting anyway. From what I can see, he's also been SAIA trained, and considering his background, I'd say that it's alright.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 02, 2008, 01:03:02 PM
From what I can see, he's also been SAIA trained, and considering his background, I'd say that it's alright.
I read that as him getting some basic training by the clan who adopted him, your Holiness.  Mind-shields and stuff... not least because it says 'years of training' when it should be measured in decades or centuries.  Of course, I might be reading more into his word choice than was intended  :3

Lushin

I'm gonna agree with Tape with t. It's clear Tez put alot of work into that character but it seems to me if he's almost dead a hidden power will awake and he will be really powerful. I'm not saying it will happend or that Tez meant it to seem that way. That's just what I'm picking up from it. I'm not GM or anything I'm just stating what I think from reading the profile.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2008, 02:10:39 PM
From what I can see, he's also been SAIA trained, and considering his background, I'd say that it's alright.
I read that as him getting some basic training by the clan who adopted him, your Holiness.  Mind-shields and stuff... not least because it says 'years of training' when it should be measured in decades or centuries.  Of course, I might be reading more into his word choice than was intended  :3

QuoteThe Cubi took him to a hidden stronghold of their race. He, too, had wings on his head. But he wasn't one of them. Not really. A dark secret lived inside him. Years of training with them only reinforced how very different he was. What he needed, he wouldn't gain from schools. Only blood held his answers.

I read a stronghold of their race as SAIA or something comparable. But as far as it goes, that's not what I was talking about either - growing up where he did is what I interpreted most of the characters strength coming from. He also mentions the curse of his clan, which I interpreted to be the different Avatars that he has. Considering that his clan's curse consists of some sort of split-personality metamorphosis, I'm going to say he might have an affinity for shapeshifting, perhaps. These are questions perhaps best answered by Tezkat, however.

As far as Years of Training, that could be years or it could be decades, or even a century. I suppose it would depend on how long it took him to -get- to SAIA, or somewhere comparable. Before he goes to this place, however, it describes him as the 'young predator' - it isn't clear how much time passed from birth to going to school, and it isn't clear how much time he spent -at- school. Again, however, considering the fact that the character has almost no long-range capabilities, can be worn down, and the fact that he 'shares' magic amongst all his different avatars makes me not think that the character is overpowered. He has clear weaknesses.

Seriously, I'd be more worried about Witt. ;)

lucas marcone

edited the character sheet. feel free to call me out of major flubbs and give input to right them.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 02, 2008, 04:08:22 PM
Seriously, I'd be more worried about Witt. ;)

... who has no magic at all, little range, and all he has going for him is the inability to quit. Ever.

(I'm worried about him, too. He's gonna get all you lot killed...)

I've updated Tez's char sheet onto the rp page. I'll have to go edit lucas' one as well, I guess...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

e_voyager

i wonder what that means for someone that's already dead. seriously conflicting avoiding or not epyon is on step form jumping in the grave that's part of the reason he joined up with this crew. its and all or nothing shot for either a cure that well bring him to full life or an insanity that well complet his trip into death. 

with a crew like this i worry about the chances for success of this mission.

Tezkat

Woo... buttsecks controversy! :dface

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2008, 02:10:39 PM

Heh... I thought I was being all artsy and poetically angsty by posting his history like that without names. :animesweat I didn't think they were necessary, since I indicated that his background remained largely unchanged. Tezkat received his basic magical training as a child from the Demons in Myktlan, and he is indeed SAIA trained (or whatever the SAIA analog is in this world). He spent around a century there, off and on, but dropped out long before graduating. Thus, his grass-growing and tennis skills are terribly substandard. He attended the School of Hard Knocks for the other half-century, with some pretty good evil teachers.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2008, 12:47:53 PM
What raised eyebrows for me with Tezkat is that he's able to defeat other Creatures, apparently with relative ease, if he does it for fun.  When you consider Amber's recent assertion that Kria would have totally pasted Aniz (who seems to have been SAIA-trained)... with the minimal training he seems to have had, the only way I see him doing that is Adventurer-style, or by using his apparent splitting ability to try and overwhelm them.

According to Abel it takes decades to master shapeshifting.  We don't know how long it takes to learn to do the soul-manipulation stuff, so it might all be doable within a century.  I just can't shake the feeling that he's a little young for what he can do.  Still, that's just my opinion.

Huh? He's "overpowered" because he lacks age and experience? :animesweat

Dan spent years killing Creatures for fun and profit. He was practically retired at 25, still completely unaware of his Cubi powers and unable to cast a single spell. Tez has nearly 150 years on him and significantly more developed abilities. How he normally defeats Creatures is clearly indicated in his profile: speed, stealth, and "his wits against their claws". His fighting style typically involves a lot of fast hit-and-fade strikes, illusions, and the application of terror. If you win the psychological battle, differences in physical strength mean nothing. Not that he couldn't beat some of them in a stand up fight, but combat is mealtime for him, and his favourite food is fear. That and yummy Creature souls. Being smarter and better "fed" than the pampered schoolkids can easily make up for the age difference.

The "splitting ability" is an innate Kh'rono Clan trait. Their tendrils are part energy and detachable, able to perform unusual feats of metamorphosis as a result. Multiple personalities (or other collective consciousness weirdness) invariably result from centuries of splitting one's body apart and likely would have happened to the mainline Tezkat after another century or two (one of the reasons I made him so young). Things worked the other way around this time: His clan's predisposition to fragmenting consciousness splintered his mind due to childhood trauma before his Cubi abilities even manifested.

Most young Cubi discover that their wing tendrils seem to have minds of their own. In this world, Tezkat's talked back. He has largely lost the ability to fight with the most basic Cubi wing tendrils. The parts of his mind(s) normally responsible for coordinating all those extra limbs have become specialized into other roles (and some would protest loudly about having to do the tentacle thing in battle :animesweat), and the dominant core personality is missing.

So... he's more or less the same Tezkat/Teskatl/Edge I've been playing here for more than two years, only with less flexibility and a whole crapload of psychological "issues". (Ky is also here in spirit, mixed into the fold.)
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 03, 2008, 06:09:54 AM
Huh? He's "overpowered" because he lacks age and experience? :animesweat

Put like that, it does sound a bit weird, doesn't it?

I think what I was really saying was that he seems overpowered for his age.  If you're saying he does it all in 'Adventurer mode' i.e. a 160-year old version of Dan, that might work, but the soul-eating thing struck me as being a bit anomalous for that reason.

Tezkat

It's a continual source of amusement for me that people consider characters with over a century under their belts as "too young". What does "takes decades to master" even mean? Do they train for an hour a week? An hour a day? Every waking hour (which is a lot for people who don't need to eat or sleep)? That's several orders of magnitude right there. If we assume the middle scenario as standard, then the actual time for an individual to "master" such a skill could vary from a year to a century depending on how keen they are and how they organize their schedules--and that doesn't even take into account individual differences in talent, power, or experience. Furthermore, the incremental effort required to "master" a skill usually dwarfs that required to merely attain functional levels. Even a twit like Dan figured out the basics like reshaping tentacles or headwings after a short lesson.

For the record, Tezkat tasted his first soul in his 20s. It was a messy, amateurish affair, the consequences of which would come back to haunt him later in life. He didn't become a serious connoisseur of Creature souls until well into his second century, and by then he knew what he was doing. Most of his levelling up and significant life events took place during his first few and last few decades of life. He's admittedly a prodigy in several areas, but he has numerous gaping holes in his education (and not just in the grass growing department). Honestly, making him older and better trained probably would make him overpowered for this level of campaign. Dystopias are so much more fun with seriously flawed characters. >:]

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

techmaster-glitch

Hey, Tezkat, you guy has seven different personalitites, and from what I can tell, two (or all seven) are 'talking' to each other. You think you can come up with some sort of color-coded text denoting who's who? Like this?

Personality One
Personality Two
Personality Three
Personality Four
Personality Five
Personality Six
Personality Seven

Cogidubnus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 03, 2008, 04:20:40 PM
Hey, Tezkat, you guy has seven different personalitites, and from what I can tell, two (or all seven) are 'talking' to each other. You think you can come up with some sort of color-coded text denoting who's who? Like this?

Personality One
Personality Two
Personality Three
Personality Four
Personality Five
Personality Six
Personality Seven

I think having him denote who is speaking is fine, if he so wishes. Not knowing exactly who is talking could be part of the character. Plus the colored text looks rather ugly.

techmaster-glitch

Meh, doesn't really look ugly to me, as long as it would work, but whatever.
As for the deliberate mystery, I just have a fixation on always knowing what's what and who's who. *shrug*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 03, 2008, 03:07:35 PM
It's a continual source of amusement for me that people consider characters with over a century under their belts as "too young". What does "takes decades to master" even mean? Do they train for an hour a week? An hour a day? Every waking hour (which is a lot for people who don't need to eat or sleep)?

The only definitive reference I can find is here: http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2075.htm#ref4

...and yes, it does seem to be possible to have a stay in the Academy of under a century, but since the norm seems to be around 300, I imagine you'd miss out on a bunch of stuff.  In UK terms it would be like taking an HND (2 years) as opposed to a full degree (4 years).

In any case, the GMs have accepted the character, and my "hey, is that right?" moment seems to have been disproved anyway, so I'll shut up now :P

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 03, 2008, 04:23:13 PM
Personality Four
Personality Seven

Plus the colored text looks rather ugly.
I wouldn't call it ugly, I'd call it unuseable. I can't read the text in the two samples I've quoted.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: SpottedKitty on January 03, 2008, 04:41:42 PM
Personality Four
Personality Seven

I wouldn't call it ugly, I'd call it unuseable. I can't read the text in the two samples I've quoted.
I can see it just fine... and this is coming from the guy who's needed (and STILL needs) a new pair of glasses for two years, and went legally blind during that time.
Turn up the contrast on your monitor.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 03, 2008, 04:44:44 PM
Quote from: SpottedKitty on January 03, 2008, 04:41:42 PM
Personality Four
Personality Seven

I can see it just fine... and this is coming from the guy who's needed (and STILL needs) a new pair of glasses for two years, and went legally blind during that time.
Turn up the contrast on your monitor.

I can't see it either. Plus, I don't want blocks of color interspersed in the RP. It doesn't look good.

Tapewolf

Visibility will depend on the forum theme you're using, to some extent.

**EDIT**
Definitely.  It's unusable with the black default background.  Tech, I presume you're using the DMFA theme?  Log out, look at your post and tell us whether you can still read it then :P

techmaster-glitch

*logs out, checks, logs back in* I can still see it all perfectly fine. Yes, the background is black. I don't even know how you can change themes or whatever the konk you're talking about.
But if you guys don't want it, that's all right. It was just a sugesstion.

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 03, 2008, 05:09:53 PM
*logs out, checks, logs back in* I can still see it all perfectly fine. Yes, the background is black. I don't even know how you can change themes or whatever the konk you're talking about.

Then let me show you:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/textcolour.png

...If you can read white text on a white background, I'd like to know how  :P

techmaster-glitch

What the frak?!? That's not happening to me! I don't know where you got those bars from, but I don't have them.

Sunblink

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 03, 2008, 05:21:32 PM
What the frak?!? That's not happening to me! I don't know where you got those bars from, but I don't have them.

Actually, I have the bars as well... I think it's the board skin settings, or the computer, or the browser, or something. I remember checking the glowing font effect on another computer in school, and it showed up just fine... which is quite puzzling.

~Keaton the Black Jackal