Eternal Rains (OOC) [M] - Closed

Started by Sunblink, December 22, 2007, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Well, there may be crazy lunatics who make airships, but largely people don't, because this makes the Mer very angry at you. People might also think that as long as you stay off the water, it doesn't matter what the Mer think. These people quickly find out that some Mer can also breathe air, and that flying above the storms only works until you have to land.
  Considering the amount of trade that goes over the oceans (which is to say, all intercontinental trade), you'd have to be prepared to basically smuggle everything that you need from outside your continent. It'd be a huge pain the ass. The technology probably does not exist for advanced unmanned aircraft as well - and the Mer simply do not like airships, period, for any reason.

As far as organized training, it depends. Some nations have managed not to splinter, and in those places, there may be some sort of organized military. Some places have splintered, and there isn't, and it's more local. It depends on where you are.

Cars, maybe. Cellphones, no. Computers, depends. Not common.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I've just put a rating on the IC thread.

This is as a result of conversation with Cog and Keaton, on grounds of I think my char wants to swear later. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 29, 2007, 08:14:20 PM
I've just put a rating on the IC thread.

This is as a result of conversation with Cog and Keaton, on grounds of I think my char wants to swear later. ;-]

Not a problem. I would be a filthy hypocrite anyway if I were to restrict you guys from cursing.The number one rule of every RP Keaton is in is that she must swear. She's like Blue Velvet's Frank Booth.

I've never seen Blue Velvet, by the way.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Sunblink

Oh look guys a double-post. Anyway...

Since there are probably going to be questions about the Sabanethei Family, I prepared this chunk of information at the last minute for you all. Enjoy.

The Sabanethei Family: Founded by Kenkythus Sabanethei (age at time of death: 2,105) and several of his brothers - not related by blood, but by alliances which spanned over the generations - who later branched off to form their own families, it worked as an underground organization not unlike the mafia in our world until its alliance with the Kamei'Sin Clan, which was run by Qaisyne Kamei'Sin after the death of her fellow clan founder, Zalantare Kamei'Sin.

After their mutual agreement, the Sabanethei Family was united with the Kamei'Sin Empire, being allowed to thrive in perfect anonymity within the city, Kamei'Sin soldiers for their work, and to glean their own wealth from other, lesser creatures in other cities, but in exchange for a cut of the profits garnered. Since the beginning of their alliance, the Sabanethei Family has served the Kamei'Sin Clan without question.

Currently, the Sabanethei main family is run by Kytharion Sabanethei (age 1,060 by the time the RP begins), Kenkythus's eldest son. Kytharion has expressed no intentions of grooming an heir, meaning he is planning on extending his life through magical and artificial means in order to elongate his time as the head of the Sabanethei Family. The Sabanethei main family's crest resembles the Kamei'Sin Clan marking with a large, ornate, horizontally-angled eye splitting the center.

Other minor families include the Damanius Family, the Artemisios Family, the Hyakinthos Family, the Aristarchos Family, and the Caelestinus Family. They are responsible for different forms of business within the underground trade, such as drugs, hitmen, gunrunning, gambling, et cetera. Kytharion's division, quoting Keaton's old biography, "was responsible for employing servants who provided protection to smaller villages that nobody would usually spare a second thought. His motives and methods were far from benign, however: the conditions to this defense would always lead to him being given absurd amounts of money and goods as tribute in exchange for his 'protection'. If the villagers were unable to supply him with the required payment, Kytharion had the authority to not only abandon them, but to order his subordinates to kill or beat anyone who dared defy him. Thanks to this brutal method of controlling those who were beneath him, nobody thought twice about disobeying him. Also because of the faraway location of these villages, bounty hunters and law enforcers usually neglected such 'unimportant' locations, or held little to no authority. In other cases, the townspeople simply couldn't afford other types of protection."

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah.

Don Sabanethei. Righto.

Edit:
By the by, Boogey, having Ty watching a paranoid berserker isn't a safe idea. At least, not for Ty. Just so you know... ;-]

lucas marcone

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 29, 2007, 01:21:25 PM

To Lucas, I have little objections to yours, but you need to include a bit more information. Strengths and weaknesses for the combat abilities... slap some meat on that skeleton (I totally stole that phrase from Cogidubnus). Clean that up, then inform us with the improvements, and we'll look over it and approve your application.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

edited. though i cant quite put his personality into words... if you make me i suppose i could crudely throw some paint at the canvas to see what hits but i really hope it wont come to that. :poke

EDIT: also if it would please the court could the Marcos be rivals of the Sabanetheis?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Out of interest, do you perhaps mean that he suffers from triskaidekaphobia?

lucas marcone

Boog

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 30, 2007, 04:41:34 AM
By the by, Boogey, having Ty watching a paranoid berserker isn't a safe idea. At least, not for Ty. Just so you know... ;-]
Essentially why I did it. He doesn't know that, after all.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Boogeyman on December 30, 2007, 09:52:57 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 30, 2007, 04:41:34 AM
Essentially why I did it. He doesn't know that, after all.

Hmm. I suspect we need to talk before Witt notices. *grin*

e_voyager

I be Eypon wishes he could disguise  his wings but the best he can do is fold them under some kind of cloak  to or wrap them to  make them look like the are some king of bag on his back. he has no magic to disguise himself and his spells in the elements are of the lost level outside of  healing.. He can heal many kinds of woulds and ailments because that's what he studies for most of his living time. aside form a minor fire spell to light camp fires and an ice spell to preserve his food / finds he learned no other magic before  his undeath.   because of this when he was ran out of his hotel on of the ones on the fringe between the two territories he was desperate to get in off the street for the night. it's also why hes sitting in the shadows hoping that few people if anyone would notice him. in a place like a bar on the dock he would hope there there would be some kind of truce in effect since like the hotel they would likely deal with all species on the island. he doesn't blame the hotel for what happened but the drunk person ( i should stop calling him a being but as far as we and epyon knows that's what he is) that stirred the  somewhat tolerant gust into a mob waiting to happen again him and he still has no ideal why. his plan upon seeing the bar was hope they were tolerant of creatures hope there were not drunk idiots and hope he can stay there until daylight and it would be safer to try to find a new hotel an or reclaim his stuff form his previous one. a lot of hopes but he's in desperate need of shelter to avoid further trouble. it also give him a reason to join their quest.   
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Sunblink

Quote from: lucas marcone on December 30, 2007, 08:04:13 AM
edited. though i cant quite put his personality into words... if you make me i suppose i could crudely throw some paint at the canvas to see what hits but i really hope it wont come to that. :poke

EDIT: also if it would please the court could the Marcos be rivals of the Sabanetheis?

It is an improvement, but it would be much more preferable if you were to attempt to flesh out the profile more. As much as you can, really. Just do your best.

As for the Were crime family concept... the Weres in this dystopic Furrae are very introverted creatures and prefer to remain isolated from any external conflicts. The last thing they'd want would be to draw attention to themselves by creating an infamous crime family. As Cogidubnus put it, "Their power lies in the fact nobody cares about them." My apologies for not pointing this out sooner.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

e_voyager

who is this crime boss that's the target then? i'm guessing he's a creature but i'm not sure. also can cubi read the mind of and undead
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's listed in the earlier information handouts from Keaton and Cogidubnus, e. You -did- read all that, right?

lucas marcone

the marco family is for the most part creatures and beings not weres. ill try to flesh out my profile but im not sure what more i can add

Tapewolf

Cog, talking of addled, none of my characters are actually called 'Tapewolf'  :P
It's interesting that you put 'Johan Cross' as well, since he was trying to keep that quiet.  If it was intentional, he's not going to be very pleased with Cog, O no, precious.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2007, 05:19:58 PM
Cog, talking of addled, none of my characters are actually called 'Tapewolf'  :P
It's interesting that you put 'Johan Cross' as well, since he was trying to keep that quiet.  If it was intentional, he's not going to be very pleased with Cog, O no, precious.

This is what happens when Cog's don't have their coffee. I hope you've all learned a lesson from this. *peers around the room*

Seriously, my apologies, and fixed. Although, he's probably not going to be pleased with Cog in awhile anyway... >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd just like to extend my appreciation to Tapewolf for his efforts to have Johan calm Witt down. ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2007, 06:48:59 PM
I'd just like to extend my appreciation to Tapewolf for his efforts to have Johan calm Witt down. ;-]

It's a shame I edited out the line "Cross didn't care one whit about Witt, but Keaton was his only link to the Family..."

Besides, if his current plan doesn't cool them off, I'm sure a plank of wood upside the head will calm him down   >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2007, 06:51:20 PM
It's a shame I edited out the line "Cross didn't care one whit about Witt, but Keaton was his only link to the Family..."

Besides, if his current plan doesn't cool them off, I'm sure a plank of wood upside the head will calm him down   >:3

Er... uh... not unless you break it hard enough to put him out. And then you get to deal with him with a hangover and a headache, later. :-/

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2007, 06:48:59 PM

As would I. XD

Anyway, here's hoping this post of mine will defuse the situation entirely.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 31, 2007, 07:03:14 PM

I was going to pour a bucket of water over them, but hey...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2007, 07:06:16 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 31, 2007, 07:03:14 PM

Refuge in audacity, eh Tape? ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 31, 2007, 07:11:57 PM
Refuge in audacity, eh Tape? ;)
Well, the plan also involved knocking the hedgehog out with a plank of wood and dumping him in a ditch somewhere.  Sadly, hedgehogs don't have much in the way of ears.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2007, 07:06:16 PM

Now that's a possible workable solution. ;-]

Edit:
I've set up http://llearch.net/misc/rp/ with a set of quick descriptions and links to the full descriptions of everyone playing, along with character names and player names...

Should make it easier to refer to than scraping through the whole OOC thread.

Paladin Sheppard

Sunblink

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on January 01, 2008, 06:20:45 AM
Llearch man you rock :3

I concur. :3 Llearch, you have gone above and beyond the call of duty and into infinite win.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

I did? It was only a couple hours poking about... plus I did it for -me-, not for anyone else. Anyone else getting use out of it is a bonus. ;-]

Incidentally, I -did- make a couple of changes in a place or two, where the phrasing or typography was missing or broken - things like capitalising first letters of names, putting commas and semi-colons in, that sort of thing. If anyone has objections to what I've done, or notices typos they wish to correct, or, in fact, even just wants to add to what's there, feel free to drop me a line. I've added an email address to the bottom of the page...

techmaster-glitch

I agree wholeheartedly with Keats, llearch. This makes everything easier for everyone :)

I particularly like the quick descriptions. Very efficient :giggle

Tezkat

Hmm... I fail at RP participation lately, but all the cool kids are doing this. :3 So here's a "dystopic" Tezkat. It's actually the same old Tezkat--I couldn't come up with a background darker than the original--but this version succumbed to the curse of his clan early and looks a bit different under the hood.

:kittydevious

Name: Tezkat Kh'rono
Nicknames: (See Below)
Race: Incubus (?)
Species: Black Jaguar
Family: Azael (Father)

Hair: Golden Blond
Eyes: Sapphire Blue
Fur Coloration: Black
Appearance: In his base form, he's a blond, obsidian-furred feline Being with boyishly handsome features and a lean, athletic physique. (He's about 5'10" and 187 lbs counting tail but not wings. He never willingly displays his own wings.) His posture reflects a quiet, relaxed confidence, and he smiles easily, but his dark blue eyes have a hard edge.

Trivia: Tezkat inherited a gift for magically shaping cloth from his mother. He's always well dressed.

History: Long ago, an Incubus sought to capture the power of the gods. This temerity destroyed him, forever trapping him in the endless darkness between worlds.

This is not his story. History forgot him, much to its chagrin.

An Angel brought water to the desert. His new oasis flourished as a center of culture and learning. Over the centuries, it would emerge as the heart of an underworld empire.

This is not his story, either. He merely sowed the seed.

Demons completely subjugated a primitive jungle realm. They entertained themselves by forcing villages of Beings to fight for the right to be eaten. Their seaport became a haven for Demons, pirates, and those foolish or desperate enough to seek refuge amongst such monsters. People like a young mother and her child. A little boy with feathered wings.

Thus began his tale.

He was on the run. Hiding. He was good at that. Angel quick. A knack for illusion. But Demons had no respect for cowards or weaklings, and they were cruel. He had few places to hide from them, not in their realm. So he stopped running away. His wits against their claws left wounds just as deep. But it was never a contest between equals, and no good could come of that.

They took everything from him. It was their nature to destroy. And so it was that this young predator, at home among the peddlers of death and misery, was unleashed upon the outside world.

Not all Beings lived as slaves and cattle to powerful Creatures. Many had nations with Adventurers and guardians who protected their own against Creatures like him. Were it not for a rescue by sympathetic Cubi, his story might have ended there.

The Cubi took him to a hidden stronghold of their race. He, too, had wings on his head. But he wasn't one of them. Not really. A dark secret lived inside him. Years of training with them only reinforced how very different he was. What he needed, he wouldn't gain from schools. Only blood held his answers.

And so his story continues...

Trivia: Tezkat wanders the world in Being guise, "helping" with Creature problems. (Not that he's philosophically pro-Being or anything--Creatures just provide a more entertaining hunt and tastier souls.) He's not above working for the other side, however (most notably the Bloodfang clan of Demon pirates, slavers, and smugglers). Azael and his wayward son... let's just say they don't see eye to eye. Tezkat sometimes finds himself an unwilling participant in "family" business.

Disposition: Tezkat comes across as a vain, quixotic playboy who doesn't take life very seriously. He sports a wry sense of humour that remains even in the face of danger. There's a cruel, dangerous side to him that few see and fewer survive, but even that masks the truth. Although personable, he trusts no one to penetrate his armour and peek inside his mind. The sensitive child who ran and hid from his abusers still comes out to play when it's safe. The cunning hunter emerges at the scent of worthy prey. The cocky daredevil drinks in all the pleasures of life. The charming trickster weaves grand schemes. The unrelenting storm leaves chaos in his wake. The enigmatic guardian watches over her pack from the shadows. They congregate in a mind splintered by earthly strife and otherworldly power. A pack of one.

Tezkat's personalities each have a True Name, but they typically refer to themselves and each other by nicknames: Key, Fang, Edge, Mask, Bolt, and Veil.

Trivia: We've already met most of them in other RPs and such, albeit in different incarnations. Some contain fragments of other souls, which partially accounts for their differences in ability.

Combat Abilities: Varies. Edge and Fang are both fearless, stealthy melee specialists who are deadly with sharp things. Key has virtually no combat skills, but he can slice a hole in the fabric of reality to take him anywhere he's been before--preferably away from danger. Mask rarely manifests physically in combat. His unique power also warps reality, but it morphs his dark essence into intangible illusionary constructs. Bolt alone commands useful elemental magic. Veil has never revealed any combat abilities.

Strengths: Being a "pack of one" provides inherent advantages in multitasking and flexibility. Each of Tezkat's alters is an individual with distinct personalities and skills. They share an incredible facility for illusion and metamagic, but practical spellcasting abilities in other disciplines are patchy and varied. All are skilled telepaths and can link minds with others in the pack to tune into sensory feeds or coordinate actions. Mind-altering enchantments have unpredictable results but rarely affect all of them at once. Psychic combat with a pack of hostile telepaths can be exceedingly bad for one's health. Empaths have difficulty reading him.

Tezkat possesses uncanny supernatural speed and agility, more on the level of Angels than Cubi. An extradimensional essence, the legacy of his clan's founder, permeates every cell in his body and significantly alters his natural shapeshifting abilities. Most notably, he can divide his body and shape the pieces into avatars--tendrils, creatures, people, even objects--to host other alters. He regenerates from most injuries, albeit slowly, and can restore functionality using quick metamorphosis patch jobs without repairing the underlying damage.

Trivia: In its natural state, with his skin peeled back to expose its dark core, the dark essence absorbs all light save for a blue-violet aura, giving it a sort of two-dimensional silhouette appearance. Morphing it into a new avatar is rather conspicuous, so alters wishing to break off unseen need Mask's help--he's the only one who can cloak them without spellcasting.

Weaknesses: At their best, the pack forms a team that could match an entire party of Adventurers. At their worst... well... personality conflicts can quite literally tear his body apart.

Morphing new avatars draws health and power from a limited pool, proportionally weakening each body (though not necessarily evenly). Reassimilating to regain the lost essence requires physical contact. Severed body parts tend to lose cohesion and disintegrate in the absence of a controlling consciousness, making them impossible to reassimilate. Systemic attacks (like poison) or magic that normally affects the entire body (such a paralysis spell or strength buff/debuff) affect all bodies/avatars, no matter how far apart.

Both Edge and Fang, the two primary combatants, like it up close and personal, with stealth and speed as their only defence against injury. They toy with prey and hate ending fights too quickly, even when outmatched. No one (with the possible exception of Bolt) has the ability or inclination to inflict significant damage at range (at least not real damage). Bolt's elemental spells (mostly wind and lightning magic) are a huge resource hog and recurring source of conflict within the pack, sometimes forcing him to compromise by powering down spells (although buffable with a little phantasmal damage from others). Alters obviously need control of a body to cast spells with verbal incantations or gestures.

Trivia: Mask's illusionary forms have no physical senses, so he must rely on sensory feeds from others. Between Fang's bloodthirstiness and Edge's recklessness, Key finds combat quite harrowing and will often tune out during fights.

Weapon(s): None. Shapeshifting forges flesh into supernaturally sharp blades (or claws, or tendrils...). With the dark core exposed, they also suck warmth and life energy out of whatever they touch (minor cold/dark damage).

Trivia: Sibling rivalry aside, Edge and Fang work well together, and it's not uncommon for one to morph into weapons for the other to use.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...