11/02/07 [DMFA #839] - Who knew?

Started by AndersW, November 02, 2007, 12:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Rambon on November 04, 2007, 09:49:44 AM
You know... it could be that she SEES Mab as a mother figure....i got a lot of friends that call me  "mom" even thou I'm only like a year older than them :hug

That's a bit creepy 0.o

Dannysaysnoo

thats not a bit creepy, it's OFF THE SCALE CREEPY!!!

thegayhare

you know this makes me wonder just how fae are born.

What are there early stages of development.  Do they go threw an infancy as we would know it?

here is my speculative take on the matter. 

A new Fae parent brings home the bouncing baby soul.  They then care for and nurture it, or maybe just stick it up over there fireplace, for a gestation period.  During that time the new fae's body slowly coalesces around the soul.  starting out as a faint outline and slowly solidifying over a number of days, months, years, what ever.  It's early appearance is influenced by the fae it's around during this gestation period, as are it's personality and speach patterns.  Once the new fae is fully developed so it can interact with others, the parents then start to teach it things it needs to know.  Most fae can speak at this point but they are now taught history, rules, how to use there powers and how o interact with other creatures and beings.  How long this lasts is anybody's guess

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: thegayhare on November 04, 2007, 11:20:27 AM
you know this makes me wonder just how fae are born.

What are there early stages of development.  Do they go threw an infancy as we would know it?

here is my speculative take on the matter. 

A new Fae parent brings home the bouncing baby soul.  They then care for and nurture it, or maybe just stick it up over there fireplace, for a gestation period.  During that time the new fae's body slowly coalesces around the soul.  starting out as a faint outline and slowly solidifying over a number of days, months, years, what ever.  It's early appearance is influenced by the fae it's around during this gestation period, as are it's personality and speach patterns.  Once the new fae is fully developed so it can interact with others, the parents then start to teach it things it needs to know.  Most fae can speak at this point but they are now taught history, rules, how to use there powers and how o interact with other creatures and beings.  How long this lasts is anybody's guess

Stick it up on the fireplace!? what if it fell?

thegayhare

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 04, 2007, 11:27:58 AM
Stick it up on the fireplace!? what if it fell?

well fae are effectivly imortal so it wouldn't kill the baby plus how do you think some of there more bizzare personality quirks come about... child hood truama what else

Dannysaysnoo

Good point, but still, not great. Maybe framed or something, hung up in the roof.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Madmann135 on November 04, 2007, 08:20:18 AM
For all we know Rose could be part cubi

Stop. Stop right now. Cubi is not everything and everything is not cubi. Fa'Lina is not the star of this comic, and Cubi is nowhere in the title.

For all we know, maybe the Fae *created* the cubi. How about that?  :mwaha
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Angel

Quote from: Drathorin on November 02, 2007, 12:07:34 PM
Or, Maybe she didn't have a husband.

As maybe she just adopted a fae soul that was being reborn?

Eh? Eh?!

Think outside the box here people.. . . as comfy as llearch is. .  >:3

This seems most likely to me... I can't see Albanion, who we have already learned is Mabby's villain, being the father. And it would explain why Rose is comfortable enough to call Mab by her first name.

In the meantime, though... I'm liking the Fae world a lot.  :3
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

MT Hazard

Quote from: DarkAudit on November 04, 2007, 01:07:36 PM

Stop. Stop right now. Cubi is not everything and everything is not cubi. Fa'Lina is not the star of this comic, and Cubi is nowhere in the title.

I would support a ban on any fan fiction that features a half anything character, its an over used idea, I accept that trying to create an interesting character is hard without resorting to cliché's. Make them a pure race and give them a interesting back story and personality traits, if you do it right the result is far superior. I do like the idea of the cubi race though.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Rambon

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: DarkAudit on November 04, 2007, 01:07:36 PM

But, but.................. what if an immensely powerful cubi had gone back in time to create the fae who later created the cubi?! PARADOXES FOR ALL!  :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 04, 2007, 06:34:50 PM
I would support a ban on any fan fiction that features a half anything character
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  If you're talking about something that is actually half-'cubi half-Being like Amber says can't happen, then yes, your idea bears consideration, notwithstanding that you can have half-Demons (Lorenda) and possibly part-Angels as well.  Thus unlike part-'Cubi they are a valid construct within the world of DMFA.
Half-Fae or Half-phoenix-oracle in this manner is probably not a valid construct given that their 'afterlifecycle' is different to and incompatible with other races.

If you meant a ban on Creatures which were born to a Being parent (e.g. Dan, Abel and Lorenda) then I think that's a bit overkill, not least because it's something 'Cubi in particular seem to do quite a lot.

As for the Fae creating the 'Cubi race, I'm fairly sure they are a synthetic race, and the Fae almost certainly have the power to do such things if they see fit.  Around the time Pyroduck's race was revealed, someone claimed the Dragons were the creators and have since been trying to 'undo the mistake' but there is no evidence to support it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Goatmon

Well, tapewolf, I don't believe the demonology states that a phoenix can't breed, only that their specific race only has 42 members (All female).  It's possible that no pure phoenix will ever be born outside of a rebirth and, should any member of the species decide to fool around, any resulting children will be normal beings.  Or creatures, depending on the father.

Then again...

And while there are always rumours of half-breeds with a Phoenix or a temple of males...there has never been any evidence to this and most consider it the ramblings of wishful idiots.

Erm...heh.  *Ninja-vanish*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on November 05, 2007, 10:12:59 AM
Then again...
And while there are always rumours of half-breeds with a Phoenix or a temple of males...there has never been any evidence to this and most consider it the ramblings of wishful idiots.

My guess is that if you get anything at all from a Being-Phoenix or Being-Fae union, it would be another Being.

Goatmon

If any sort of conception is indeed possible, that seems to be the most likely outcome. 

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 04, 2007, 06:51:09 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on November 04, 2007, 06:34:50 PM
I would support a ban on any fan fiction that features a half anything character
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.......

I mean any Half creatures/beings not already firmly established in the story, there is no cure for the Mary Sue pandemic, only prevention.

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 05, 2007, 12:21:48 PM
I mean any Half creatures/beings not already firmly established in the story, there is no cure for the Mary Sue pandemic, only prevention.
In short, hybrids?

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2007, 12:24:43 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on November 05, 2007, 12:21:48 PM
In short, hybrids?

Well, sort of. If their 'unique' species is a central character detail alarm bells should start to ring.

Handy link to avoid writing Mary Sue characters
http://emona-dragondancer.deviantart.com/art/The-Mary-Sue-Manual-23804747

Amber Williams

There was several reasons I stomped out the vampire race from Furrae.  One of them being that I find vampires to be an overdone and easily Mary-Sue exploitable race. 

Granted the hybrid genetics bonus arc will cover most of these bases, but I'll still ramble on them.

Now, there are a few races that can't hybridize.  Either due to their structure being far too different from other species to work, or due to other reasons.  Sure, that won't stop the ultimate Mary-Sue writers from just going "oh but my character is an amazingly rare and miraculous exception." but it can at least stop me from having to acknowledge their attempts.

Other species can hybridize very easily...but often the end result isn't all that "ooh aah" impressive.  Usually the half breed is exactly the same as the pure breed or a lesser form.  There isn't really an "all of their strengths/none of their weaknesses" gimmick because half the time there wasn't an insane amount of weaknesses to begin with.  The closest to issues with that might be a couple purist groups who dislike the idea of inter-race hybrids.

Honestly, half the time I don't even think too much on it because more often than not I find that it isn't so much about lineage so much as what one does with what they got that makes for a better story.  Not to mention that there are a lot of cases in Furrae's history where some creature who hailed from a powerful lineage got completely stomped because they relied too much on what they took for granted.

terrycloth

Really, just have your mary sue be a half mythos/half mythos, then you can give them whatever powers you want even if they don't make sense together, without any of the weaknesses you decided they would have had if they weren't a halfbreed.

Or they could just be a fae. An exiled fae, of course, so that they didn't have to obey any of the laws. Exiled because they didn't have anything resembling the typical fae mindset, so that you don't have to worry about writing any personality other than your own.

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: terrycloth on November 05, 2007, 07:19:25 PM
Really, just have your mary sue be a half mythos/half mythos, then you can give them whatever powers you want even if they don't make sense together, without any of the weaknesses you decided they would have had if they weren't a halfbreed.

Or they could just be a fae. An exiled fae, of course, so that they didn't have to obey any of the laws. Exiled because they didn't have anything resembling the typical fae mindset, so that you don't have to worry about writing any personality other than your own.

But Amber's personality IS the typical fae mindset!  :U

Keleth

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on November 05, 2007, 08:33:04 PM

And it hails from the mystical scary time of the 80's! >:3
Help! I'm gay!

Zedd

Well time get to get to the wetworking and stealth around and find Metal Gear Amber...and disposize of it.. :bunn

Naldru

Quote from: Zedd on November 06, 2007, 12:21:01 AM
Well time get to get to the wetworking and stealth around and find Metal Gear Amber...and disposize of it.. :bunn
I think that you will find that Amber's steamroller is a fearsome weapon.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Zedd

Quote from: Naldru on November 06, 2007, 05:44:29 AM
Quote from: Zedd on November 06, 2007, 12:21:01 AM
I think that you will find that Amber's steamroller is a fearsome weapon.
Yes this is true...It will be more ferce than Metal Gear Rex and Ray combined...

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Mischa

Quote from: Drathorin on November 05, 2007, 11:01:36 PM
Quote from: AnizInDisguise on November 05, 2007, 08:33:04 PM

And it hails from the mystical scary time of the 80's! >:3

Oh, but the '80s were a wonderful time of fun music and big hair!  *starts fluffing up Drath's hair so he can feel all 80s*

Kamunt

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 06, 2007, 09:51:42 AM
Quote from: AndersW on November 02, 2007, 12:08:03 AM
I wonder who the father is.

Edward.

Any questions? Didn't think so.

Also, "Mary Sue"? I sort of understand the implication, but I don't get the reference.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.