JK Rowlings outs a Major Harry Potter Character

Started by thegayhare, October 20, 2007, 01:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 21, 2007, 07:52:00 AM
I predict sometime within the next year one of the other characters will be 'revealed' to be into either necrophilia, bestiality, vouyer, or *gasp* pedophilia.... though i have read none of the books i expect anyone who has just instantly matched up EACH of those with a character already.

Errr this is cannon but Dumbledor's brother Aberforth  was once convicted of praticing  improper charms on a goat.

and though she didn't admit it derectly, she was asked by an 8 year old what that ment in a question and answer session and skirted the issue

bill

I don't get this. This has no relevance to any scene in the entire book. What is the point in updating us now?

I had my money on McG being gay, anyway.

Brunhidden

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 21, 2007, 09:22:57 AM
I don't get this. This has no relevance to any scene in the entire book. What is the point in updating us now?

as i said, its a sad attempt to keep interest going even though the books are very over and quite dead.

i would be willing to bet that almost nobody will care by the time the last movie comes out.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Damaris

Or it was a question and answer session about an extremely popular book.

If you're going to sit here and bash the series, then you really should go and at least make an attempt to read them- otherwise you're no better than the extremists who bash the books for their "ungodly" ways, while never knowing anything about them.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Reese Tora

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 21, 2007, 07:52:00 AMTo prove my theory that this drama is both pointless and random lets keep an ear out for any further potteriffic announcements. I predict sometime within the next year one of the other characters will be 'revealed' to be into either necrophilia, bestiality, vouyer, or *gasp* pedophilia.... though i have read none of the books i expect anyone who has just instantly matched up EACH of those with a character already.

Hagrid loves Buckbeak, he's almost human. :E

hmm, nope, none of the other recurring characters stuck me as even remotely fitting in with these. (Well, Snape has the whole pale necromancer look going, but I wouild have pegged him for more of a BDSM fetishist if anything. :erk )

Now that I think of it, didn't one of the teachers have a thing for the Centaur instructor from OotP?  :rolleyes
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

techmaster-glitch

Kuari

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 21, 2007, 09:33:07 AM
Quote from: BillBuckner on October 21, 2007, 09:22:57 AM

as i said, its a sad attempt to keep interest going even though the books are very over and quite dead.

i would be willing to bet that almost nobody will care by the time the last movie comes out.

Quote from: Damaris on October 21, 2007, 12:34:02 PM
Or it was a question and answer session about an extremely popular book.

If you're going to sit here and bash the series, then you really should go and at least make an attempt to read them- otherwise you're no better than the extremists who bash the books for their "ungodly" ways, while never knowing anything about them.

I'm going to agree with Damaris on this.  In any case, some people actually ARE interested in learning more about some of the characters.  Personally I'm interested in finding out more about Snape.  I never really was all that interested until...  well, the 6th book made me curious...  but the 7th book made me go: "Holy shit buckets"

bill

But it doesn't explain anything about Dumbledore. If it explained some of his habits/personality/actions, then I'm fine with it. This isn't a revelation, so much as a footnote.

Alondro

Ron was secretly into VORE!!!  :U

And he married Hermione cuz she liked playing the role of a predator.. a side-effect from the feline potion she took in the second book.    >:3

I think Polygenes Potion would've been a better name for it..
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Sunblink

Wow.

Well, there goes my Dumbledore/McGonagall fanlove. :<

Though the fanfiction that is going to be spawned from this is going to be both traumatizing and hilarious. XD

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Kuari

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 21, 2007, 04:54:06 PM
But it doesn't explain anything about Dumbledore. If it explained some of his habits/personality/actions, then I'm fine with it. This isn't a revelation, so much as a footnote.

Yes it does, it explains a bit about how he felt about Grimwield or whatever his name was, and thus why things were so painful involving him and why he was so attached and such....

Brunhidden

i am friends with a book store owner who has a policy of reading every new book he carries

he told me, with a grim face, not to bother and to actively avoid it. after a lifetime of Tolkein, Niven, Pratchett, Brooks, Cook, Weiss, Hickman, Grubb, Robinson, and so on these books would cause me physical pain according to him. while he was reading the last one he was popping Tylenol like tick tacks.

i trust him a lot more then my sister who believed that harry potter was not in any way a kids book and bashed the LOTR books until she rented the first movie and the same day demanded i give her my copy of the trilogy.

Kuari

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 22, 2007, 03:16:05 AM

i am friends with a book store owner who has a policy of reading every new book he carries

he told me, with a grim face, not to bother and to actively avoid it. after a lifetime of Tolkein, Niven, Pratchett, Brooks, Cook, Weiss, Hickman, Grubb, Robinson, and so on these books would cause me physical pain according to him. while he was reading the last one he was popping Tylenol like tick tacks.

i trust him a lot more then my sister who believed that harry potter was not in any way a kids book and bashed the LOTR books until she rented the first movie and the same day demanded i give her my copy of the trilogy.

I honestly believe the Harry Potter books slowly evolved...  first few were definately kiddy, but after a bit they did get darker and seemed to mature some...  I do wonder how anyone could consider the books bad though...  I mean, all things considering, they got a lot of people to actually take interest...  maybe it won't be quite as long term as many other series, but still.  Meh.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

Fact of the matter is though, I honestly don't think your opinion is all that valid unless you read the books yourself.  Sure you're allowed to trust the opinions of others, but any opinion you state is not really your own

Sienna Maiu - M T

It is my adherant belief that the original J.K. Rowling has died and been replaced with a cyborg, out only for ratings, cash and to corrupt little minds everywhere.

And I'll read and comment this no further, I still haven't read past book five.

superluser

Maybe I should come in here and say that I don't like the books, have listened to a couple of them on tape, and think that outing Dumbledore is fine.

And after all, she could have used some other method (like an exclusive interview with the press) if she were really looking for attention.  A book talk, after all, isn't exactly high-profile.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Brunhidden

Quote from: superluser on October 22, 2007, 11:20:28 AM
And after all, she could have used some other method (like an exclusive interview with the press) if she were really looking for attention.  A book talk, after all, isn't exactly high-profile.

And yet she made front page news on the sunday paper, its pretty clever as an exclusive interview may have been seen as too much a plea for attention and last all of 3 minutes.

bill

I lost interest after the 5th book, which I found boring. 4th book was (10/10), though.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 22, 2007, 12:07:56 PM
I lost interest after the 5th book, which I found boring. 4th book was (10/10), though.
It took me a while to be bothered to buy the 6th book, but it's worth it.  There's a lot of waffle I'll admit, but it's got Voldemort's backstory in it which I found riveting.
A nice touch is that Harry uses the same lines as Umbridge and Voldemort when he's doing nefarious deeds.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

I have read the books, and all I can say is that making a character gay to provide a reason for Dumbledor's original interests is pretty weak.  There so many other reasons people are attracted to others' quests for power that making it a sexual attraction is far too much a politicaly correct cop-out.  

The story didn't need it at all.  I'm getting very tired of everything having to make a political or social statement.  LoTR is a timeless classic very much, I think, because it doesn't lock itself into one particular period of real world history.  It was truly its own complete world and pure fantasy.  

I did notice the comments about the goat and was really hoping it was just an inside joke.  But with this revelation I'm left wondering.  I hope she's not going to come out next and say we should also tolerate bestiality.  

I'm with South Park:  "But the museum tells us to be tolerant!"  "Tolerant, but not stupid!"  That's my new mantra.  It phrases my thoughts on the PC nonsense so succinctly.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Kuari

Quote from: Alondro on October 22, 2007, 12:15:03 PM
I have read the books, and all I can say is that making a character gay to provide a reason for Dumbledor's original interests is pretty weak.  There so many other reasons people are attracted to others' quests for power that making it a sexual attraction is far too much a politicaly correct cop-out.

Wait...  being gay is politically correct? *gasp* since when? :p

Alondro

Uhm, you're not aware of that?  You must live in Minnesota.   >:3

thegayhare

You know this probably would answer another question.  What Dumbledor saw when he looked into the mirror in the first book.

Roureem Egas

Quote from: thegayhare on October 22, 2007, 10:35:25 PM
You know this probably would answer another question.  What Dumbledor saw when he looked into the mirror in the first book.

I doubt it. Most of his backstory trauma revolved around wanting to know if he was the one responsible for his sibling incident if I remember correctly.

Caswin

I laughed.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 22, 2007, 12:07:56 PM
I agree. The third of the Abhorsen series was much better.

Although if I am going to bother finishing the series, I suppose I should also re-read the first four. I read them way back when in grade four, approximate eight or nine years ago.

Sunblink

You win the Internet, good sir.

On-topic, personally, I liked all of the Harry Potter books save for the third and fifth; those I couldn't get into. The seventh and final one isn't finished, mostly because I lost the inspiration to after some jerk-off spoiled the ending for me. I was quite distraught, to the point I didn't have the energy to call an assassin to eliminate the ass.

(...Avada Kedavra spy sattelite? [/obscure reference])

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 23, 2007, 08:03:39 AM
On-topic, personally, I liked all of the Harry Potter books save for the third and fifth; those I couldn't get into.

Now not liking the third one does surprise me - not least because your characters have a thing about soul-stealing.  Personally I thought it was the turning point of the series, after which the fourth was a bit of a disappointment.

QuoteThe seventh and final one isn't finished, mostly because I lost the inspiration to after some jerk-off spoiled the ending for me. I was quite distraught.
I had the ending spoiled for the 6th, which is probably why I took a while to buy it.  It was still pretty good.  And I've re-read 7 a couple of times.  If it can stand re-reading, I think it can stand being spoiled...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 23, 2007, 08:10:30 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 23, 2007, 08:03:39 AM
On-topic, personally, I liked all of the Harry Potter books save for the third and fifth; those I couldn't get into.

Now not liking the third one does surprise me - not least because your characters have a thing about soul-stealing.  Personally I thought it was the turning point of the series, after which the fourth was a bit of a disappointment.

On the contrary, I find the fourth was one of my favorites... actually a lot more fleshed-out than the movie (which took a lot of liberties with the book, but hey, that's a common complaint :B). The sixth one was perhaps the best for me though, since I read it very recently and when I could most thoroughly enjoy the writing.

I had the ending spoiled for the 6th, which is probably why I took a while to buy it.  It was still pretty good.  And I've re-read 7 a couple of times.  If it can stand re-reading, I think it can stand being spoiled...

Same here, unfortunately... though I was rather happy to buy the sixth and read it through in its entirety. I should totally start an Association for Those Who Like Slughorn Very Much. And you present a good point, sir.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
(PS: For those who are interested: CLICK HERE FOR ULTIMATE WIN. Contains bad language and some spoilers to the sixth book.)

Jigsaw Forte

Meh... as I said before, the Psuedo-Holocaust of the Seventh book turned me off. Just because she's J.K. Rowling does NOT mean she gets to invoke Godwin's Law. Then again, she had me reading up to that point, I wasn't about to stop halfway through the seventh.

Dumbledore being gay feels like... well, it doesn't truly feel relevant to the books. Unless you want to secretly reveal that Dumbledore had 'other' reasons for trusting Snape or something.  :mwaha

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?