[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RushFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 22, 2007, 05:23:59 PM
Downloading some of Rushfox' stuff has completely stuffed Rapidshare so that I have to wait 100 minutes to download any more.
Not to be callous, but you've still got a lot of popping and bumping problems as well as some weird interference-like sounds.  I may be able to correct some of these, but it would be nice if I didn't have to  >:3

Yeah, sorry... There is only two big files you would have wanted on rapidshare (2nd part of SAIA, and Abel's Story), so I figured it would be all right. I put the rest on the box.net site that Goatmon uses and will transfer the rest as well. Splitting them up takes time, but if it makes it easier for you, I'll do it!

As for the popping noise, eh... I think my voice sounds better when I'm not blocking the headset with my hand (I think the bumping comes from that), so I try to maintain my range and avoid popping by moving it away from my mouth (which also stops the breathing to a degree).  You're gonna have to deal with the noise though, as I have found it impossible for me to fix, for some reason.

If you tell me which strips are the problem ones, I'll do them over and try to avoid the problems mentioned above, but I'm stuck with a headset for the time being. Sorry...

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tezkat on May 22, 2007, 08:31:18 PM

Your audition will be evaluated in this thread based on your voice, acting skills, and recording quality. In the end, the best of the bunch will be trotted before the great throngs of fans, we'll get Simon Cowell to criticize your performance, and then everyone will call in to vote for their favourites. Or something like that... >:]

Was thinking about recording a few more Abel lines.  The guys I work with are going to think I'm nuts if they catch me muttering "just because I look cuter in skirts..." over and over again:p I've been going over Abel lines and thinking about Pip lines so much that I've almost forgotten to plan out the story for my own webcomic!  Ah well, they already think I'm nuts for other reasons.

So if we're going Simon Cowell, does that mean no news is good news?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 22, 2007, 08:00:57 PM
As for 'spaced-out,' do you mean in sort of a cloud-gazing, entranced, distant state? I had been imagining her as a young, spoiled child for some reason, mostly because of her diminutive stature.
Look at the new strip... she's out of her gourd.  This was my gut-feeling about her and so far it seems to be justified.
I might give her lines a try myself, to see if I can properly express 'loopy'...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

rabid_fox

Isn't it incredible? I'm posting off Audacity on a disc to my sister, so we should be able to get that whole Abel's Arch section up rather nicely soon, Devin's mother and all included. Niiiiiice.

Oh dear.

rabid_fox

Hey, noodles of the topic. I finally got enough of my voice back to have a shot at recording Devin's death and post-death lines. It's a bit choppy right now because I don't know what to aim for. I've also done a few "Hit in chest by sharp thing" efforts. Which was...hard not to laugh during. Let me know, though, what you think, I'm in need of feedback on these.

Still lacking the microphone of joy. So the sound quality is a tad chopping places, I think. In time, all things come in time.

http://rapidshare.com/files/32912089/deeeevin.wav.html

Oh dear.

Sunblink

Hmm. Did some Nutmeg today.

http://rapidshare.com/files/32912808/Nutmeg_Recording_Page_2_-_1.mp3.html A little distortion around the pitch, which may or may not be the fault of my webcam-microphone. D: Curses. I tried a bit more of a completely-off-her-rocker Nutmeg, since, yes, she is totally nuts. XD

http://rapidshare.com/files/32913353/Nirfy_Recording_-_1.mp3.html Also tried Nirfy. It shares the same problems as the Nutmeg file in terms of pitch distortion, unfortunately.

And now I sleep. XD

~Keaton the Black Jackal

rabid_fox

I dig that Nutmeg. When you said "Off rocker" I was worried, but it works very nicely. I really liked the "No....hugs?" reading. Quality of recording is something that I reckon sorts itself out over time with experience and going "Ooo, that didn't work, I'll sort that out next time"

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Goatmon on May 22, 2007, 09:58:22 PM
A headset for now.  I really need to get a regular microphone; most of the noise that occurs from recording is from the headset itself making tiny creaking noises that result for me moving my head while I talk.  When I'm careful the noise isn't too much of a problem, but it still pops up more than I'd like.  Bleh.   

Have you considered removing the headset entirely, and planting it on the desk in front of you, with the mike poking up into the air so you can speak into it? That might let you adjust range, move you head, and remove much of the background noise all in one fell swoop...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RushFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 23, 2007, 08:23:47 AM
A headset for now.  I really need to get a regular microphone; most of the noise that occurs from recording is from the headset itself making tiny creaking noises that result for me moving my head while I talk.  When I'm careful the noise isn't too much of a problem, but it still pops up more than I'd like.  Bleh.   

Have you considered removing the headset entirely, and planting it on the desk in front of you, with the mike poking up into the air so you can speak into it? That might let you adjust range, move you head, and remove much of the background noise all in one fell swoop...

Ya know, I haven't tried that! Considering I own a headset as well, I might try that for my next recordings... Thanks, llearch!  :)

Goatmon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 23, 2007, 08:23:47 AM

Yes I have.  Unless an inch from my face, my voice comes out sounding extremely far away on this thing.  I've gone through various ways of getting it to work without putting it on my head, and none of them were effective and/or comfortable.  So I'm just leaving it on my head until I get something better. 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Goatmon on May 23, 2007, 10:44:21 AM
Yes I have.  Unless an inch from my face, my voice comes out sounding extremely far away on this thing.  I've gone through various ways of getting it to work without putting it on my head, and none of them were effective and/or comfortable.  So I'm just leaving it on my head until I get something better. 

Nuts. I figured you might have. :-/

RushFox

Well, I started up on the Life Is Wonderful arc, and I did notice the background noise ALOT. It's from my computer.

Anyways, I tried the "noise removal" effect on Audacity, but my voice comes out WAY distorted! It's like I'm talking through a tube or something. Here have a listen to both of these and tell me which is better...

http://www.box.net/shared/afdgq42aee  It's the two at the bottom, just so you know...

Note: There is some noise in the second one, but it just gets worse the more I reduce the noise...  :<

Tapewolf

Quote from: RushFox on May 23, 2007, 11:25:20 AM
Anyways, I tried the "noise removal" effect on Audacity, but my voice comes out WAY distorted! It's like I'm talking through a tube or something. Here have a listen to both of these and tell me which is better...

Note: There is some noise in the second one, but it just gets worse the more I reduce the noise...  :<
I haven't played with the 1.33 noise reduction engine much, but for 1.2 and 1.32 you want to set the thing to the absolute minimum settings.  That does a pretty good job without introducing too many artifacts (unlike DART and GoldWave).  In any case, I prefer to have the files unprocessed, just in case I can get my hands on some more serious noise reduction system in the future.

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. and if you've seen the kit he's got, you'd realise that's a pretty good chance. :-]

RushFox

Alright, I'll keep as is for now. That was kinda an experiment on my part. I'm gonna be using box.net for now, as it will be probably better for everybody. Within the day, I will be adding more to it, bit by bit, so keep an eye on it when you get the chance. K?  ;)

I might also try splitting up one of my files I put on RapidShare. Which one should I do first? The second part of SAIA or Abel's Story?

Goatmon

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 23, 2007, 08:13:36 AM
Hmm. Did some Nutmeg today.

It came out great.  I got a good laugh out of it, cause it goes so well with the picture.  xD

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 23, 2007, 11:31:41 AM
.. and if you've seen the kit he's got, you'd realise that's a pretty good chance. :-]
I wish.  I've only ever seen one CEDAR unit on ebay.  The starting price was around a grand, and this was for one of their other things - not the general-purpose noise reduction modules.
I'm assuming you can buy them of course - originally Aphex would only ever hire out the Aural Exciter and supposedly they kept it covered up so no-one could see it.  (Mind you, I think that was before they actually figured out how it worked since it was allegedly discovered by accident  >:3)

And yeah, I like the Nutmeg recording.  Nirfy still seems a little too coherent, though...

**EDIT**
Oof, the CEDAR Duo is like $8000 new  :erk

llearch n'n'daCorna

I wasn't thinking short term. I can wait until you get your hands on that sort of cash. :-]

RushFox

Aaaaand I'm done!

You know, at this point, I was thinking that even if my voice wasn't chosen for Abel, I could be filler until the official one gets his done. I mean, all I have to do is the "Get Me To The Church" arc and that one line at the beginning of the "Queen Mab" arc, and I'm completely done! Sans re-dos I guess...

Anyways, here's the Life Is Wonderful arc, in bits and pieces for easier digestion.
Note: 623-625 is at the top, due to a labeling error on my part.

http://www.box.net/shared/afdgq42aee

Turn the volume up, ignore the noise, and enjoy!  :3

I've also added a 4th take on the first three Abel strips, because I just caught the line where Tapewolf said I missed the emphasis. Fixed! It's in the same spot (box.net) as the rest...

AnizInDisguise

Okay, I've finally gotten around to uploading my try at Abel. The recording quality isn't that great, but I was unusually rushed while making it. In the future I would be able to make better quality recordings.

And yeah, this is all of abel's lines from when he and dan first meet up to the end of the wardrobe montage. Please tell me what you think.

http://www.box.net/shared/i35pkl35my

Tezkat

Man... it's gonna take ages to listen to all of those. :animesweat

Just a quick point, however... I've noticed a number of pronunciation issues in recent clips. We're trying to standardize our pronunciations for this project, mostly in a "sorta kinda the ones that Amber prefers" direction. I doubt that you guys have much experience with the IPA alphabet (and the special characters don't always show up in this font anyway), so I'll try to describe them in another way that's easier to understand:

Cubi: KYOO-bai ("queue bye")

Warp-Aci: warp AH-see ("warp a see")

Jyrras: JAI-rus ("gyrus")

Abel: EI-bul ("able" :3)

I think that covers most of the problem ones.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

tenlaius

when i get home i will think about doing abel.

depending on which it is for, the abel's story section or the main story, i should have it ready before the day is over

now if any other characters might be needed, well..i could use something to do to use up time

Aridas

I don't actually see how "Abel" could've been a problem o.O

RushFox

Well, I pronounced it "A Bell" because it sounded more mysterious and exotic, like a name you don't hear everyday. Is that really what Amber wanted it pronounced? I think I did it that way in my recordings but I'm not sure. Glad you caught me before I started on the "Church" Arc, because I was going to pronounce Jyrras as "Gyr-ras" or "Jeer-as". Close one there!

Anyways, I've decided to split up the monster file I made for Abel's Story, with some difficulty, because I have been recording with having lines that flow into each other from strip to strip, much like the actual story itself. This leaves me with alot of problems in splitting it up, so I'm just going for about 1:30-1:45 for each part, no matter if it cuts out certain lines or areas where I am breathing.

I don't know if it will cause problems in the future in terms of mixing, but I really want to get my lines for Abel's Story out for everyone to listen to, without fear of long load times or whatever. I'll probably devote the next hour to this...

Edit: Alright, I got them all portioned out and I am downloading them to box.net right now. There goes another 20 mins. or so. Should be worth it when I'm finished!  :)

rabid_fox

Any massive failures in my pronounciations I'm putting down to accent, so if you correct me, you're RACIST.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on May 23, 2007, 05:09:27 PM
Man... it's gonna take ages to listen to all of those. :animesweat

I only just managed to grab them all.  I didn't even manage to listen to yesterdays.  I have a backlog of about three days worth of samples from RushFox alone  :B

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 23, 2007, 05:19:19 PM
I don't actually see how "Abel" could've been a problem o.O
No comment.

Rabid, I've just had a quick scan through your Devin recording.  Some good death sounds there, I think I'm going to be hard-pressed to make a final decision.
As for the death speech, I definitely prefer the more emotional version of the reading to the dry version - after all, he's dying, not choosing a pair of shoes  >:3

Brunhidden

*shows intrest after a long time of not even really notising this threads size*

QuoteWhenever you look at a piece of work and you think the fellow was crazy, then you want to pay some attention to that. One of you is likely to be, and you had better find out which one it is. It makes an awful lot of difference.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 23, 2007, 05:19:19 PMI don't actually see how "Abel" could've been a problem o.O

I'm reminded of the cable repairman from The Big Lebowski, who comes to fix the cobble.

I'm also really going to get off my butt and redo some of those lines this very night.  First, some Tom Lehrer.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

RushFox

superluser

Here's that test:

http://rapidshare.com/files/33048270/abeltest2.mp3
(a bunch of different takes toward the end.  I shaved 5 minutes of bad takes off of this one)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?