05/04/07 Wow She's taking that well [783]

Started by thegayhare, May 03, 2007, 09:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caswin

I see three grammar mistakes in the second panel. :mowdizzy

Cue the antennuclear explosion.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Kenji

Upon actually noticing it... man I love that horse's mane and tail colors! |3

Knight

QuoteImpunity is allowed for the admins because this is not a democracy!

No, it's not.

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on May 03, 2007, 09:41:46 PM
I called it!  783 is sad!  I...wish I never called it.  Why couldn't Amber do a happy strip just to spite me?
*ahem* Who do you think made you start thinking of that? >_>

Fuyudenki

Quote from: RJ on May 03, 2007, 09:44:19 PM
Quote from: superluser on May 03, 2007, 09:41:46 PM
Quote from: RJ on May 03, 2007, 09:22:19 PMUm... RJ sees a spelling mistake: You're/Your

Those who point out spelling mistakes in the thread instead of private messages are supposed to get banned for a day.

Er...I think you might be an exception.

I'm not subtle when it comes to pointing out wrongs in writing. It's one of my few passions... :< Please don't hate me for it.

Well NERR.  Note to self: read strip, THEN read thread, THEN possibly message Amber with correction.  And I know that I'm not on her good side.  I may just be a nobody for now, but I'm definitely not on her good side.  This can only make that worse.

At least I tried to be apologetic...  Is there a way to un-send PMs?

What I find curious is that in Demo101, it doesn't say anything about Fae actually dieing.  This may launch us into an entire philosophical discussion on the nature of Fae life, death, and birth.  What if all Fae are actually immortal and born at the same time?  If that's the case, Mab's parents would just be her adoptive parents, and she's been playing their daughter the whole time.

On the other hand, some mythologies(most, actually, now that I think about it) actually have gods with the ability to die, so maybe they get to obey a different set of rules on the plane of Furrae than in the Fae Kingdom.

As for Mab taking this well... well, it's Mab.  She seems often more scatterbrained than Azlan, the only other Fae we really have to compare her to.

Until now, at least.

Zedd

Well that seems like a surpize for Mabs folks like that and all

GabrielsThoughts

why do I hear the my little pony theme running through my head
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

crimson_wolf

childhood memories? seeing a bright and happy horse? delirium caused by insanity? just some of my guesses...

Psaakyrn

So... no one's asking why Mab's parents are dying/will die, why specifically tonight, and how Albanion would know this? (though if Mab's parents are indeed royalty, that would explain the third..)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

crimson_wolf

it's so much easier to just wait for amber to make it well...if she makes it sure debating on whats going to happen next is fun but not always nessesary...

Gildedtongue

Will be nice that we get a Mab arc for once...

Especially since half of the titular characters haven't really been around much.

nikename2

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 03, 2007, 11:23:52 PM
So... no one's asking why Mab's parents are dying/will die, why specifically tonight, and how Albanion would know this? (though if Mab's parents are indeed royalty, that would explain the third..)

Hmmm, well like its been said mabye their role is over, so now their character dies, but they are reborn into a new role. Kind of like a binding magical agreement for a form of immortality. I suppose the signs of when a role is coming to an end could be that their magical potential is greatly weakened as their spirit prepares itself to be reborn.

KatNole

Alright, so I'm re-reading some of the archive so i can form my own opinion about what's going on with Abel's Story as well as the main arc, and I stumbled across this:
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_366.php

look familar?
he must be someone important.

crimson_wolf

Too many characters not enough time...or space

I forgot about them...i wonder what they're up to now...

nikename2

Quote from: KatNole on May 03, 2007, 11:49:03 PM
look familar?
he must be someone important.

I'm fairly certain that is Albanion. Atleast thats what my monitor, the outline, and logic tell me.

Edit: Oh and Welcome to the forums.

KatNole

scratch that, i haven't checked the demo 101 in a while.
sorry.

crimson_wolf

still...if mabb ends up taking jyrras to fae...i think the council might meddle a little bit don't you?

superluser

Quote from: Wanderer on May 03, 2007, 10:04:35 PM
Quote(now, if you'll excuse, I have to go find the guy in my apartment complex who has his bass turned all the way up)
...and have him SHOT! I swear one of these days I will follow that car that goes by my house EVERY night with his bass cranked, I will find out where he lives, and I will RIP his motherless speakers out, scatter their innards across the hood and leave their eviscerated husks upon his dashboard! :cuss

Or... just ask him to kindly turn it down please because I'm recording something.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go...er, away from crazy person.

(actually, he turned it off before I could find out who it was)

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 03, 2007, 10:23:27 PM*ahem* Who do you think made you start thinking of that?

Fine, why couldn't Amber spite us both?

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 10:31:47 PMWell NERR.  Note to self: read strip, THEN read thread, THEN possibly message Amber with correction.  And I know that I'm not on her good side.  I may just be a nobody for now, but I'm definitely not on her good side.  This can only make that worse.

You're on her bad side?  Unless there's stuff going down between you two that I don't know about, I haven't seen you getting on her bad side.

And so long as you weren't mocking her when you sent her a message about the grammar, I'd expect you should be fine.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

crimson_wolf

nikename2

Quote from: crimson_wolf on May 04, 2007, 12:06:53 AM
I haven't even seen amber yet... :mowsad

Thats because shes hacking. In an administrative kind of way?  :erk

Bah I got nothing.

crimson_wolf

That or she's to busy exausting herself making the comic she deserves a break i bet she's having a well earned sleep right now.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: superluser on May 04, 2007, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 03, 2007, 10:31:47 PMWell NERR.  Note to self: read strip, THEN read thread, THEN possibly message Amber with correction.  And I know that I'm not on her good side.  I may just be a nobody for now, but I'm definitely not on her good side.  This can only make that worse.

You're on her bad side?  Unless there's stuff going down between you two that I don't know about, I haven't seen you getting on her bad side.

And so long as you weren't mocking her when you sent her a message about the grammar, I'd expect you should be fine.

Not on her bad side, per-se, but the most recognition I've had was accidentally getting an older Abel's Story thread locked because I didn't want to leave well enough alone until I found out whether Hennya's race has defined genders or not.(for the record, it would appear ALL races of Furrae have well-defined genders, so nobody need bother asking ever again.)  Amber doesn't know me personally, and likely would not recognize the user name "Fuyudenki" for any particular reason, so I probably don't have anything to worry about, but I'm always paranoid about incurring the wrath of those I look up to... largely webcomic artists.  In that light, I've just contributed to what appears to be a massive tidal wave of "you've got a typo!" nags; probably the thing that annoys webcomic artists the most.

Maybe I've just played one too may dating sims.(hmm... that would be... two!  Two dating sims!  ah ah ah ah!)

crimson_wolf

i still want to know how she draws so well...

Fuyudenki

Ah!  That, I can answer!

SHORT VERSION
Lots of practice, and lots of reference material.

OBSCENELY LONG AND BORING VERSION
Speaking from my own experience, learning to draw well is simply a combination of choosing your style(in this case, a fairly realistic cartoonish style), then studying the world around you, and practicing constantly.  There are countless manuals which have actually been written on art, and if you find a good one, then it'll serve you well no matter the particular style you choose.

For my personal experience, I started around age 8, with a very simple manual on how to draw cartoons, which illustrated the basics: perspective, overlap, layering of your drawing, basic shapes, and basic shading.  Since then, I've read large portions of probably another dozen manuals, used numerous reference photographs(and sketches!), asked people to pose for me, posed 3D models(www.daz3d.com), and referenced my own work to maintain a consistent style, but it was really only in the past 7 years, since I was introduced to Japanese "anime" style art that I've actually had any direction.(yes, I'm one of THOSE people.)  Part of the problem is that I always wanted to do a realistic style, and even with the anime stylings of my art, it all still looks very western.  The key is that at its core, "anime" is simply a simplification of a realistic style.  The green hair showed up later.(In fact, the style itself is adapted from Walt Disney's artistic style, used in the earlier works, such as Snow White and Alice in Wonderland.  In fact, I once noted, looking at box art for Alice in Wonderland that Alice herself was drawn in a style that closely resembles modern anime.)

For reference, I turn 22 in two weeks.  Some of my work can be seen in the site linked from my profile.

Amber obviously took a different route, but at the core, it's all the same.

stiletto

I'm still trying to figure out what Amber means by the Lupus mini title there. I can't imagine she's referring to the condition where your immune system reacts and attacks your own body. (it does cause skin discolorations... so maybe this is Amber telling us that Albanion's diverse hair is not caused by Lupus...? Okay, I got nothing)

stiletto

Hm, not an internet thing I'm familiar with. Decagons.

Nino

Gabi

It looks like the news hasn't sunk in yet, or Mab doesn't fully believe it. But this could mean a different kind of adventure is in order.

Quote from: RJ on May 03, 2007, 09:22:19 PM
Um... RJ sees a spelling mistake: You're/Your
I see a squirrel being yelled at for that.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gabi on May 04, 2007, 07:04:03 AM
Quote from: RJ on May 03, 2007, 09:22:19 PM
Um... RJ sees a spelling mistake: You're/Your
I see a squirrel being yelled at for that.

.. I could start, if you like, by banning her for a day? :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears