05/03/07 Abel's Story [85] There it is

Started by AndersW, May 03, 2007, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaon

Well if you put in the factors that he watched his friends die before him, as well as hearing the final thoughts of one of them. Also devin helped Abel when he saw what was left of a certain dally.

also this time take in the fact that he just found out that his father is now who he thought he was and is well... I don't know a little insane or a cute asshole (possibly both) and I think the last thing he is gonna notice is a little blood... until he looks down anyways

superluser

Quote from: Zaon on May 05, 2007, 02:01:53 AM
Quote from: superluser on May 05, 2007, 01:05:04 AMHemophobia causes vasovagal syncope (i.e. fainting), not vomiting.
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol627.jpg
Um...I think Abel just proved you wroung

But that wasn't blood.  He probably vomited because he was expecting to pass out at any moment, but the vasovagal reaction wasn't initiated because--at some primal level, Abel knew that it wasn't blood.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Fuyudenki

He also said that during times of stress, blood-like substances(IE red paint) can also trigger the reaction.  I'm fairly certain there's not a whole lot of cognition going on in the reactions of a hemophobic person.

Also, he was puking up when Devin mentioned the blood on his own hands earlier.

superluser

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 05, 2007, 12:33:06 PMHe also said that during times of stress, blood-like substances(IE red paint) can also trigger the reaction.  I'm fairly certain there's not a whole lot of cognition going on in the reactions of a hemophobic person.

In fact, none.  The reaction might not even reach the limbic system.  Abel sees blood, the body recognizes it as blood, and he faints.  Let's take the paint scenario.  Abel sees paint.  His body knows that it isn't blood, but shortly thereafter, the neocortex gets involved, and starts making associations like red = blood.  Abel starts thinking, ``Oh, no!  Blood!  That means I'm going to faint!''  And he gets panicky and vomits.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on May 04, 2007, 08:34:20 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 04, 2007, 07:58:16 PM
You're just wrong on all counts.
Why is it that people respond to my comments here with hostility?  Sheesh.  There are nicer ways to say I was off the mark with this one.

Indeed. Aridas is just abrasive sometimes. I wouldn't take it personally. :-]

Quote from: Doraion on May 04, 2007, 11:54:44 PM
Ummm, who are the admins?  Also i'm not that kind of furry Netami.  I only got fursonas meant more for action oriented rps not the yiffy kind. - -;  Sides I think the ones into just those rps are weird.  Sorry just wanted to clear that up guys. ^_^;

The admins are listed on the rules page. You -did- read the rules page, right? Right?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 05, 2007, 07:16:33 PMThe admins are listed on the rules page. You -did- read the rules page, right? Right?

Well, the rules don't list *all* the admins/mods.  Also, if you read the rules, and afterwards someone gets made an admin, you won't know all the admins, either.  Likewise if someone neglects to add the name to the rules page.

Damaris

Well, it would help quite a bit if the people who keep appointing themselves admins would stop confusing the noobs.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on May 05, 2007, 01:46:54 PM
In fact, none.  The reaction might not even reach the limbic system.  Abel sees blood, the body recognizes it as blood, and he faints.  Let's take the paint scenario.  Abel sees paint.  His body knows that it isn't blood, but shortly thereafter, the neocortex gets involved, and starts making associations like red = blood.  Abel starts thinking, ``Oh, no!  Blood!  That means I'm going to faint!''  And he gets panicky and vomits.

But. Abel. DOES. Barf. When. He. Sees. Real. Blood.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_46.php

All this "fainting" stuff you're talking about is irrelevant, because Abel barfs when he see blood. That's just him. End of story.

Goatmon

Yeah, but I think it's only especially bad when it's on him, rather than someone else.   It also helps when there's something very distracting going on, such as seeing your father reveal himself as an incubus. 

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 06, 2007, 03:27:14 AMBut. Abel. DOES. Barf. When. He. Sees. Real. Blood.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_46.php

All this "fainting" stuff you're talking about is irrelevant, because Abel barfs when he see blood. That's just him. End of story.

I just really like the idea of Abel's hemophobia being medically accurate.  It would make things interesting, since it's not really something you can conquer, just something you merely mitigate.  I know Amber probably didn't intend it to be medically accurate, but it makes me happier to imagine that she did.  DON'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME! D:

(Also, I still want Abel to have Rabies and the Royal Disease, so that he can be a Hydrophobic hemophobic homophobic hemophiliac from metrosexual Mabsylvania)

techmaster-glitch

How do you know that barfing isn't "medically accurate"? Just a question, but where are you getting that info? I looked hemophobia up on the Wikipedia, but they had nothing.(ya know, come to think about it, Wikipedia doesn't have ANY phobias last I checked... I think...) I just don't see how seeing blood and triggering a "barf" reaction is impossible. It seems perfectly fine and normal to me.

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 06, 2007, 04:03:22 AMHow do you know that barfing isn't "medically accurate"? Just a question, but where are you getting that info? I looked hemophobia up on the Wikipedia

I am laughing at you now.  Sorry, I shouldn't be.

Your information comes from Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that used to claim (from September 2005 to August 2006) that bay leaves might be poisonous, but it had never been proven.

My information comes from the Merck Manual.

Quote from: Merck ManualPeople with a phobia of blood, needles, or injury, unlike those with other phobias or anxiety disorders, can actually faint because an excessive vasovagal reflex produces bradycardia and orthostatic hypotension.

(and on vasovagal reflex)

Strong emotion, pain, fear, sight of blood, or injury can produce strong vagal stimulation, causing vasovagal syncope. An initial increase in BP and heart rate is followed by an abrupt decrease in BP and sometimes heart rate. This form of syncope is common and benign; assuming a horizontal position results in complete recovery.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on May 05, 2007, 11:35:50 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 05, 2007, 07:16:33 PMThe admins are listed on the rules page. You -did- read the rules page, right? Right?

Well, the rules don't list *all* the admins/mods.  Also, if you read the rules, and afterwards someone gets made an admin, you won't know all the admins, either.  Likewise if someone neglects to add the name to the rules page.
Quote from: Damaris on May 05, 2007, 11:42:19 PM
Well, it would help quite a bit if the people who keep appointing themselves admins would stop confusing the noobs.

True, true, sorry. It's all my fault. It's not like it's an obvious adjunct or something, now, is it, used only for the admin tasks of a specific admin, soas to clarify when they are talking out of their arse, and when they're speaking as an admin or something...

*cough*

Aleolus

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 04, 2007, 12:20:33 AM
On account of Aniz' actions ever since he walked in the door (i.e., implying May cheated on him, faking a heart attack, and now all of THIS) I think I can summarize the current state of every DMFA reader in one smiley:

:confused  CONFUSED.

We will have to wait for more comics that will explain his motives, cuz right now he's making no sense whatsoever.

I still stand by the thought that, whatever his original motivations for hooking up with May were, he has come to have feelings for her, and so will not kill her.  He may even run off with her to sire more children, with her being fully aware of his nature from now on.

Roureem Egas

superluser

Quote from: Roureem Egas on May 06, 2007, 02:36:27 PMAt that age?

Indeed.  May's probably been through menopause.  (I think.  Cats go through menopause, right?)

llearch n'n'daCorna

All female mammals hit menopause sooner or later.

The question is, how long after birth, relatively, that it happens, and how many births can the organism reasonably withstand.

(and yes, superluser, I think she probably has. not that I expect Amber to be so crass as to answer the query in the actual comic itself. Or even allude to it...)

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 06, 2007, 06:47:57 PM(and yes, superluser, I think she probably has. not that I expect Amber to be so crass as to answer the query in the actual comic itself. Or even allude to it...)

Is it crass to refer to menopause?  I know that it would be pedantic to refer to May's child-bearing capabilities in the comic, but I wouldn't have figured crass.  I learn something new about social etiquette every day.