voyeursexual
6 (13.3%)
gay...for Abel
13 (28.9%)
unsure
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

superluser

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 25, 2007, 08:55:36 PMEating shellfish is a sin, too.  Anyone who has ever eaten shrimp, lobster, crawdads, etc. is going to burn in hell! >:O

I could get into a debate about how what the Bible condemns shellfish more vehemently than homosexuality, and how homosexuality usually doesn't mean homosexuality in the Bible, but that would probably get this thread into Godwin's Law territory.

So instead, I'll say this:

GOD HATES FIGS!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

The interesting thing about "the NT overrides the OT, and the OT is all invalid now" is that Jesus, in the NT, never actually said all the old rules are now obsolete.

He hinted, he suggested, but he never said. And all the hints and suggestions are couched in a "well, if you're not an idiot, you can see what I mean" type of non-answers, so he didn't rile up the local management that the Romans left in control, etc....

It's surprising just how much weasel-wording there is. Not that I'm critical or anything....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

vulpesweasel

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 25, 2007, 09:43:28 PM

It's surprising just how much weasel-wording there is. Not that I'm critical or anything....

Why weasels? What did we do?...But in all seriousness, it's kind of sad how unaccepted things are in a world where people like pimps and whores are glorified, but homsexuals and those who aren't considered "normal" are shunned. We promote things like "the thug life" and being "gangsta", lowering women to nothing more than property, but homosexuals are considered dirt to this. But the truth is, there will always be something that won't be accepted. It used to be race, then it became orientation and religion. If those are ever accepted, there will be someting new. People are scared of "different" and if only they could just accept everyone as the same, then the world would be better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

In short- people are fuckwads. Welcome to reality.

Oh, and Down, Not Across.

.. perhaps I'm experiencing an overdose of cynicism...

Kenji

This is supposed to be about who  you snuggle, not if it's sacriligious or not.  :U

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 25, 2007, 09:43:28 PMThe interesting thing about "the NT overrides the OT, and the OT is all invalid now" is that Jesus, in the NT, never actually said all the old rules are now obsolete.

Well, maybe He didn't when He was walking around on Earth, but God specifically tells Peter that all animals are clean in Acts 10.

Gabi

Why do all discussions about sexuality inevitably turn into discussions about religion? And about Christianity, more often than not.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on February 25, 2007, 10:00:20 PM
Well, maybe He didn't when He was walking around on Earth, but God specifically tells Peter that all animals are clean in Acts 10.

... and, of course, Peter was totally objective about everything. Since we know most of the homophobic content seems to stem from Peter's accounts, rather than everyone else's....

Interesting how God seems to favour the same things as the people who are asking him to guide them, isn't it...

Sorry, Gabi. That's probably more than enough already. I'm gonna STFU and go catch some Z's. Maybe I'll feel more positively inclined toward my fellow man in the morning, although, since it hasn't happened in the last ten years, I can't see it changing any time soon....

vulpesweasel

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 25, 2007, 10:07:29 PM
...Sorry, Gabi. That's probably more than enough already. I'm gonna STFU...

same here. I'll drop this here. This is too good of a thread to lose.

King Of Hearts

Quote from: Gabi on February 25, 2007, 10:01:21 PM
Why do all discussions about sexuality inevitably turn into discussions about religion? And about Christianity, more often than not.

Because someone will come in, start hating on Christian doctrines, [and will go on and on] and the moderate Christians try to defend their faith.

I swear its like Godwins law. Someone mention Christian doctrine in a sexually related topic and the whole thing goes to hell.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 25, 2007, 10:07:29 PM... and, of course, Peter was totally objective about everything. Since we know most of the homophobic content seems to stem from Peter's accounts, rather than everyone else's....

No, no.  Paul is the only one who mentions what is commonly rendered as `homosexuality.'  I don't think that any other NT author touches it.

Now that we've got that minor bit of trivia cleared up, I'm gonna try to STFU on religion, as well.

bill

+1 for me on the last bit.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Gabi on February 25, 2007, 10:01:21 PM
Why do all discussions about sexuality inevitably turn into discussions about religion?
Fixed. :)

Brunhidden

it wouldn't even be an issue of one of our many many popes just decided to tell everyone that the 'prophet' Leviticus was some nut job who should be ignored. seriously, according to him polyester, vegetable gardens, hamburger, and bunny rabbits are all "Abominations Unto God"

QuoteAll i hear is the wind whistling between your ears
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Vidar

Is there anything that isn't at some point an abomination unto god?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

King Of Hearts

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on February 25, 2007, 10:31:49 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 25, 2007, 10:07:29 PM... and, of course, Peter was totally objective about everything. Since we know most of the homophobic content seems to stem from Peter's accounts, rather than everyone else's....

No, no.  Paul is the only one who mentions what is commonly rendered as `homosexuality.'  I don't think that any other NT author touches it.

Now that we've got that minor bit of trivia cleared up, I'm gonna try to STFU on religion, as well.

Ah, yes. Thank-you. I knew it didn't sound quite right...

Gabi

Ok, since we do not all share the same religion and there's no way anyone will be able to prove what God thinks (or the Gods for polytheistic people, and I have no idea what atheists would do in such a discussion) why don't you start talking about what you think? And/or the people around you.

Zedd

Anyone must rember take the skinnny boat to chinatown...*dances in a thong* Theirs nothing magical to wonder the peoples minds now eh? And if your out there James...Fetchez la vache!  :shifty

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gabi on February 26, 2007, 05:49:59 AM
Ok, since we do not all share the same religion and there's no way anyone will be able to prove what God thinks (or the Gods for polytheistic people, and I have no idea what atheists would do in such a discussion) why don't you start talking about what you think? And/or the people around you.

Oh, that's easy. I think 98% of people are stupid, and deserve everything they get.

And the other 2% should've left years ago.

Go Darwin Awards.

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2007, 06:49:48 AM
Quote from: Gabi on February 26, 2007, 05:49:59 AM

Oh, that's easy. I think 98% of people are stupid, and deserve everything they get.

And the other 2% should've left years ago.

Yeah, but where would we go?  :P
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

superluser

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on February 26, 2007, 01:27:22 AMit wouldn't even be an issue of one of our many many popes just decided to tell everyone that the 'prophet' Leviticus was some nut job

Well, the book of Leviticus (named for the tribe of Levi, not for a prophet) was traditionally written by Moses, so saying that would probably lead to some problems with Jewish-Christian relations.  Besides, the main issue is what Paul writes about sex.

Can we please get back to talking about sex?  I'm trying to STFU about religion, but everybody seems to be getting basic issues of authorship and identity wrong.

Gabi

Oh, if everyone's so interested in discussing religion we could have a separate topic for that.

Now back on topic. What are the laws regarding homosexual marriages where you live? Here they're legal, but they're not allowed to adopt children. I've heard it's the other way around in some places.

Netami

Honey, I live in Southern California. Everyone here is fabulous!

Gabi

...Which would probably make sense had I ever been to southern California. I've heard there are many homosexual couples in San Francisco (and two researchers from my university were mistaken for one there because they shared a hotel room, aparently all those North American scientists couldn't grasp the concept of lack of monetary funds). But that's about all I know.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Gabi on February 26, 2007, 07:37:08 AM
Oh, if everyone's so interested in discussing religion we could have a separate topic for that.

Now back on topic. What are the laws regarding homosexual marriages where you live? Here they're legal, but they're not allowed to adopt children. I've heard it's the other way around in some places.
From what I can tell, New York doesn't allow it.

However, we're sitting near a concentration of states that do. New Jersey just passed a law allowing civil unions for homosexuals with full marriage benefits. I believe that Vermont may also have a similar law.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Alan Garou

Man, Amber's audience is skewed. Look at the ratio of male to female.  :erk

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Alan Garou on February 26, 2007, 11:44:36 AM
Man, Amber's audience is skewed. Look at the ratio of male to female.  :erk

Thats because there are no women on the internet.

Roureem Egas

The 4-to-1 thing the forum says? I don't really know how true it is, and I honestly forget if there was an option on it to be undisclosed. If it's the poll on top, there is likely to be a lot of overlap since we can pick up to 5 options. :/

Gabi

I think it's the unmentionable chat that provided that statistic.