One Of Those Things...

Started by TheGreyRonin, January 29, 2007, 03:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreyRonin

For over six years now I've had a Basset Hound by the name of Rosebud Thorn. Rosie was badly abused as a pup before I got her; at six months old she had several human bites, her eyelids had been slit open, two broken ribs, and she had been burned with a hair dryer.

Three years after I got her, a farm truck went speeding down my road and skipped a piece of gravel. She lost all vision in her left eye, but could see perfectly in her right.

Two days ago she started rubbing at her right eye, which was bloodshot. Nothing else seemed wrong, and with it being a weekend, I just got her to the vet today, as she started bumping into things.

She picked up a virus, probably from my outdoors cats, that has caused her blood pressure to rise. The vet prescribed medication that may help clear it up, but even if it works he says the eye will continue to lose function. She'll most likely be fully blind within a year.

Even expensive measures that locals can't perform would only buy her an extra year on top of that at best, and would require a 300-mile round trip. Worse, the doctor that is that close is booked solid for another two months.

It just...sucks.

Damaris

I'm sorry about that.  That just sucks.

On the up side, if she's a smart dog, she could still live a full life while blind.  It won't be easy for her to run, but she'll still live with people that love her, and that she loves- and that will make life wonderful for her.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Aridas

You're just lucky your dog doesn't have to put up with what one of mine had to... But i'm sorry all the same. I hope she still has a good life.

superluser

I'm so sorry about this.

On the positive side, think about all the time she's spent with you.  Had Rosie not been in your care, she wouldn't have had the wonderful care that I'm sure you've given her.  I'd focus on how much time and love has passed between you two.

My brother's wife had a dog named Chas.  She (yes, Chas was a she) had a chronic skin condition, cataracts and constipation.  Despite all that, she was very happy.  I'm sure that Rosie feels the same way.

Good luck with the treatments, if you decide to use them.  If not, I'm sure that she'll be content with whatever comes her way, so long as she has a good friend like you to be at her side.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

*hugs*

Just because there isn't really anything else I can do from here, and you seemed to need it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

TheGreyRonin

Thanks, folks, I needed that. Going with the regular medication with her for now, and if it works it buys some time for the full treatment.

ITOS

It's sad when your pet getts ill and there is nothing you can do but at least it's not a "might as well be dead" situation.

Did you

So there

Hope she

Hope things turn out good in the end.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

RJ

Ohh... I'm so sorry to hear about this! It's always sad to know you're going to lose your best friend. But, I think you should be very proud that you were able to take her away from her former home of abuse and give her one full of love. I hope that you and her will be able to have a few more good memories left to make though. *hugs*

Tiger_T

*pat pats TGR*
It's sad to hear that she'll likely lose her sight. :(

Be sure to show her you're there for her.
And pet her and give her a hug as a 'stay well' message from us all. :ill

Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Boog

Yikes, that sucks. Well, not much for me to say that hasn't already been said. She's among people who care about her, so things'll work out.

TheGreyRonin

Just an update, then I'll say no more on the subject.

The medication didn't work, and Rosie is down to roughly 10% vision in her eye. She's adapting incredibly well, with very little actual "pinballing' around the house.

On the plus side, she no longer goes full blast through the house, knocking things over and slamming into furniture. And she's become much more affectionate, which is a mixed blessing, if you've ever seen how Basset Hounds show affection. (Drowning in drool comes to mind.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

... FWIW, I'd like to hear updates, if and when.

It sucks that the medication didn't work - but it sounds like Rosie is happy nonetheless, which is, at the end of it all, the important bit.

*hugs*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears