1-19-07 600 Muscles of Pain

Started by Faerie Alex, January 18, 2007, 08:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faerie Alex

Feel better, then. Better that you rest now than blow yourself out. Then we'll never find out what happens...
...erm...
Yeah. Feel better.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Zedd

Sid

*snickers* It's the best way to discover all those muscles you never knew you had :D
:boogie

Gabi

Oww... Sorry to hear that, Amber. Get well soon.

But hey, Fluffy's looking good!
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

superluser

On the plus side, it looks like Amber's actually using that membership to the Y.  I could never do that.  Whenever I go into a gym, I always feel like I'm wearing a big sign that says ``I have no idea what I'm doing.  Or what I'm doing here.''

Keep up the good work, Amber!  Get better.

And, uh, I hear Nutri-grain helps you feel great.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

e_voyager

get well soon amber. organic down times tends to be less then machine down time so consider yourself fortunate for that.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Turnsky

yeah, loads of muscles involved with the making of a comic..
i've taken time off due to less.. not due to pain, just me recovering from a bad night on a very humid day.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Akisohida

Keep up the exercise, Amber! Nothing better than keeping in shape and we understand fully! :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Wanderer

Quote from: superluser on January 18, 2007, 09:15:10 PM
On the plus side, it looks like Amber's actually using that membership to the Y.  I could never do that.  Whenever I go into a gym, I always feel like I'm wearing a big sign that says ``I have no idea what I'm doing.  Or what I'm doing here.''
Hmm... for me it's more the "I could be reading/writing/sleeping/playing-games/watching-anime/saving-the-world/collecting-lint/counting-cracks-in-the-ceiling with the time I'm wasting here!" issue, but I suspect the end result is the same...

But yeah. Paaaaaain becomes familiar when one tries to exercise after a long period of sanity.

Caswin

O_o

I don't know Amber's policy on reading fanfiction, but given the chapter I just put up (such as it is)... well... O_o about covers it, actually.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Kasarn

Well, if you are going to push yourself, you have to cool down afterwards.
You probably learned the basics way back in elementary school and then just forgot about it.

Damaris

If you're going to exercise, the best thing to do the next day is to do it again.  It loosens up the muscles that hurt, and make it much more bearable.

Take it from the person who had to walk up and down eight flights of steps after each ballet class (which, for those of you who don't know, makes it extremely painful to do stairs)

PS. The second rest day is always the worst.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

ChaoSynergy

Amber, I'm going to give you two words of sound advice.

Icy.  Hot.

Don't strain anything :3

Fresnor

Stygian

I suppose that it is good to forgive if it is for the sake of exercise. May you become stronger, Amber, whether you like it or not!

I just wish that more people would do the same. And I'm also wondering how you've been exercising. You really shouldn't start out that hard... Not that I would know much of how that feels, of course, so I don't have much of a perspective.

Valynth

Fear not, it shall become easier as you work harder at it, and trust me I speak from limited home-gym type experience!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Tezkat

Quote from: Damaris on January 19, 2007, 12:00:30 AM
If you're going to exercise, the best thing to do the next day is to do it again.  It loosens up the muscles that hurt, and make it much more bearable.

That's somewhat misleading advice. Many people don't realize that what you do in the gym is damage your muscles in a controlled manner. The next days' pain is your body telling you that you succeeded.  :mowtongue The benefits of exercise stem from your body rebuilding itself bigger and better afterwards--proper rest, adequate sleep and diet are important. Heading back to the gym before you've recovered invites overtraining and injury. If you're coming off a long layoff, start slow.

That said, some easy, low-impact aerobics and gentle stretching or yoga can be good for delayed onset muscle soreness. Getting the blood flowing to sore muscles and stretching them out can speed recovery and reduce the pain.

Take care of yourself, Amber!  :kittycool

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

superluser

Quote from: Tezkat on January 19, 2007, 03:08:36 AMThat's somewhat misleading advice. Many people don't realize that what you do in the gym is damage your muscles in a controlled manner. The next days' pain is your body telling you that you succeeded.  :mowtongue

From what I've always been told, this is true of weight training, but not for aerobics.  If you're hitting the weight room, the nautilus machines, or doing sit-ups, do it at most every other day.

But you can go for a jog or bike every day, from what I understand.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tezkat

Quote from: superluser on January 19, 2007, 03:56:47 AM
From what I've always been told, this is true of weight training, but not for aerobics.  If you're hitting the weight room, the nautilus machines, or doing sit-ups, do it at most every other day.

But you can go for a jog or bike every day, from what I understand.

The principle is the same--your heart is just another muscle, after all. Any time you subject your body to new and different kinds of stress, you need to let it recover. In a newbie or post-layoff situation, that's pretty much everything you do in the gym.  :mowwink

You can't simply separate it into weights vs. aerobics, however. It's all a matter of how much stress the exercise places on your system. As you achieve increased levels of fitness, it becomes more difficult to do the kinds of "damage" that demand long recovery times. Even with weights, there aren't any hard and fast rules about minimum recovery times--many bodybuilders like to train abs or calves every day, for instance. Likewise, if you push an aerobics session (run, bike, etc.) farther, longer, and/or harder than usual, you might be sore for days.

People who exercise daily are either working at a level which no longer puts much strain on their muscles, or they've organized their training routine so as to give their bodies a chance to recover. Someone training for a marathon, for instance, might run six days a week, but they'd have heavy days followed by light days, in which the latter constitute a kind of active recovery (the competitive athlete equivalent of the warming up and stretching on your off days I mentioned earlier). A bodybuilder might split a routine so that the second day's exercise trains different muscles from the previous one. (There's a third option, of course: They could be overtraining. That's all too common among athletes.)
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

ShiningShadow

Get well Amber going to the gym for the first time will do that to anybody. Start out slow in you own pace. Somebody else already say use Icy Hot they have that in that tub size I think?

Alondro

Heh heh.  I remember the days when I could leg press 500 lbs.  I wouldn't dare try that anymore.  I doubt I could manage more than half that now.  Maybe not even that much.  Meh, office and lab work don't give you much of a work-out like groundskeeping in Great Adventure, pushing around massive dumster carts that weighed half a ton when full.

I'm wearing leg weights now to and from the subway trains to keep up a wee bit of leg strength.  But it is important to start out slow to let the body adjust to the increasing work load.  Taking certain vitamins and micronutrients can help with the pain.  I take a combination of alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine to reduce oxidative stress load and preserve kidney function.   In lab experiments, the combination completely eliminated the incidence of diabetic nephropathy in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats!  Good stuff!   :)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Alan Garou

Exercise can be hazardous to your health. I know. I once hit my head on a pull-up bar.

Madmann135

It's rare that I find someone's pain funny but unfortunately they way you described it it was funny. 

Exercise is in a way controled injuries.  The best way to help is to exercise regulary and eat properly, good vitiman/mineral  suppliment pills do help.  Unfortunately for you, the best thing you can do is work out a little each day.  Maybe today you can jog a mile or so.

Hope you and your numerous muscles feel better soon.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

ShiningShadow

I got it a half hour in the jacuzzi that will help with the aching muscles and after that maybe a muscle massage from a mesuse.

Vidar

Amber, just remember:

Work It Harder Make It Better
Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
More Than Ever Hour After
Our Work Is Never Over

\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Valynth

To be honest, I've never felt my muscles actually "hurt" after a work-out.  Ussually they just go numb and are extremely difficult to coordinate, but not really hurting persay.

and yay Daft Punk!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zedd

I rember passed out on my uncles leglift..20 pound bearly miss my nuts

Prof B Hunnydew

Amber   I feeling your pain... No, really I have also started a new exercising plan for health reasons.  And there are times when I can move my legs without screamings in pain or I have no strenght in my arms.  And they said hot showers and to work it out slowly the next day. 

PBH

rt

Well whatever doesn't kill you
... hurts really bad!!!  :U

At least it appears Amber didn't hurt her funny bone
.. Get well soon ..

:mowcookie cookies for you till then  :mowcookie