Publishing Miss Mab as a book

Started by Clayton_n, December 07, 2006, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayton_n

I understand why Mab's brother's comic can't be bought, rip off of a video game that it is, but why hasn't Mad had her comic published? Other webcomics are, many of them not quite as well drawn. El Goonish Shive, Megatokyo, Girly, Van Von Hunter, Chugworth Academy, Penny Arcade... many of these have now found their way into bookstores. So why hasn't Mab published yet? And who here wouldn't buy it?

Aisha deCabre

Mab probably has her reasons...plus as a webcomic, seeing as the internet spans all over the world, the comic would get a little more worldwide recognition.

Although I wouldn't really hesitate to buy the book, yeah.    :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Stygian

Right now, it certainly wouldn't be "reader friendly" for those who are not net geeks, but simply furries. I know it might be a foreign concept, but... Some people might not know the references.

So, if Amber ever were to make an actual book of all this, she would probably have to set another storyline and origin point. The world and characters of course would be the same, as would their relationships, but we wouldn't see many of the earlier comics and it would probably be quite separate from the rest of the storyline.

Amber Williams

Actually Stygian, a good chunk of emails I get are from people who have told me that while they don't care for furries for the most part, they find DMFA to be a decent comic since it avoids going into major furry-references.  The main critique I get of DMFA is "I didnt think I'd like it cause it was a furry comic, but I was suprised." that and "The archives are kind of painful, but it gets better in both art and storytelling quick."

There are a few reasons why DMFA will never be a book. One is that I don't have the high-rez files of over 90% of the archives...either because for the longest time I didnt bother to save them (DMFA was never started as a professional pursuit), or due to the hard drive crash.

The main reason though, is quite simply I don't desire to see DMFA in print format. While I'm sure some readers would enjoy it...the amount of work I'd have to put into making it doable combined with the costs are just not appealing.  It's not something I want to do, and its not something I want to happen...so odds are it wont simply because of that.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Zedd

I think he likes to be your parrot Amber...Now that would be odd..Llearch with feathers and cusing up like Barrey the parrot...He likes talking in a spanish accent and knew how to say the word fuck..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Panyko on December 07, 2006, 08:23:20 PM
THATS MY JOB BOX!  >:]

Well, you're welcome to add it, and any other frequently asked questions you had asked of you, to the wiku. Or, should I say, the wikuwiki...

RJ

Topic moved to the DMFA section... because I felt like it.  :)

Alondro

*Charles nods*  Amber doesn't need to do it in book form... because if my animation company ever makes it to the big time, DMFA is on the top of the list of series ideas.  Or maybe a spin-off... SAIA, The Cubi Years... yesssss...  >:3

*Charline muwah ha ha ha... the evil is working it's magic!*  Yippy, skippy... the Evil..  :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Darkmoon

And I probably could get away with publishing it, if I wanted, simply due to US parody protection.

However, I don't really think sprites look good printed.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Taross

Publishing Mab as a Book sounds nice, but she makes a better Ruler.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 08, 2006, 07:17:11 AM
And I probably could get away with publishing it, if I wanted, simply due to US parody protection.

Uh. I didn't think she folded that well...

Oh, well. Learn something new every day...

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

ShiningShadow

That's why Amber have it in this format and I love every bit of it. If it comes out in a book form I'm there to buy two copies. But this is Amber's decision and i repsect her for it.

Tiger_T

I wonder if there are people out there, printing the comic out and making their own personal book with it. :3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tiger_T on December 09, 2006, 08:05:19 PM
I wonder if there are people out there, printing the comic out and making their own personal book with it. :3

Not yet, but I have the facilities and intention to do so.  Whatever Mab may think, I think that what she's done deserves to be archived in a (hopefully) more permanent format.   >:3

For anyone who's curious, the HP2605 is a good machine for doing this.  It's a colour laser, rather than an inkjet, and pretty cheap to boot.  The tricky part is to improve the quality of the strips.
Vectorizing them might be an idea, but I don't have any decent software which will do that, so I'm simply doubling the size, running them through an anti-JPEG filter and doing a semi-automated recolouring job to purify the colours.  The results are pretty decent, although obviously not the same as having real high-res versions :cry

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Azlan

I talk to a frequent amount of people who know about DMFA, read it and are not furry, or do not like furries... the comedy, characterization and fun is the major attraction.  In actuallity, it might be better for DMFA if no furries were among its readership... wait, did I type that in plain text? 

If it was in a book format, I would buy it... to at least have a semi-permanent record of its existence long after the comic and site have gone away.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Zedd

I would keep it as a momento of a lifetime

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on December 09, 2006, 09:16:33 PM
If it was in a book format, I would buy it... to at least have a semi-permanent record of its existence long after the comic and site have gone away.
Azlan hits the nail on the head.

That's among the reasons I would like to buy the CALENDAR...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Azlan on December 09, 2006, 09:16:33 PM
I talk to a frequent amount of people who know about DMFA, read it and are not furry, or do not like furries... the comedy, characterization and fun is the major attraction.  In actuallity, it might be better for DMFA if no furries were among its readership... wait, did I type that in plain text? 
Reminds me of http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_204.php
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Fresnor

Well I think it would be kinda bloody turning Miss Mab into a book.  Either that or very creepy, especially if it starts talking to you... >.>

Zedd

Quote from: Fresnor on December 11, 2006, 02:47:19 AM
Well I think it would be kinda bloody turning Miss Mab into a book. Either that or very creepy, especially if it starts talking to you... >.>

DMFA book: BUY ME!!!
Me: GAAHHHH!! GREAT HORNY TOADS!!! *jumps from store window*

Azlan

Yes, just like the ruler of the world schtick... I was wondering how long it would take someone to go for the cheap comedy...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Fresnor

Quote from: Azlan on December 11, 2006, 07:12:41 PM
Yes, just like the ruler of the world schtick... I was wondering how long it would take someone to go for the cheap comedy...

Well not everyone can afford expensive comedy :p

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 08, 2006, 07:17:11 AM

agreed your sprites actually do look like crap printed, something to do with the cmyk ratio. you'd have to pay Amber to draw the whole thing from scratch and have to keep it black and white for the shear time-consumi-ness...

now that I think about it I could publish all non fanbased works that I've drawn now that I recieved my  certificate of registration. however, unlike most people I'm not blessed with finances and Keenspace doth sucketh verily.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Damaris

nah.  He'd just take her website hostage.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

Hell, I did it once before. Why not?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Did you want us to come up with some reasons? :-)

Darkmoon

If you think I need to be able to justify it...