2020-12-20 [DMFA #2024] Oddly getting super feels here

Started by killpurakat, December 21, 2020, 03:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killpurakat

I actually teared up a little over Regina and Aliph's interaction. Like, so it isn't standard in it's wording, but... I can feel the love and respect between the two, and especially the protective side of Aliph.

He may not feel like Kria's brother as much anymore (according to her), but he's still family. And who knows, maybe that oddness will actually go away by interacting and caring for Regina, and Kria will get her brother back in full. After all, that resurrection stuff may honestly need some time after it happens to fully bring a person back 100%.

I like how the guy who needs a giant floating name tag to announce his presence and who can't even acknowledge trivial mistakes without blaming others worries that Aliph would be an unsuitable role model...

Hey Amber, just wanted to say, from a lurker: Thanks for sticking around for such a long time. In some way, on-and-off, this comic has accompanied me through various phases of my life - and I was always amazed how alive it felt. I think the amount of thought and dedication you put to it demands a whole lot of respect. I'm really happy to be along for the ride and I'm looking forward to see where you'll take us.

HaDDea

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on December 21, 2020, 10:16:06 AM
I like how the guy who needs a giant floating name tag to announce his presence and who can't even acknowledge trivial mistakes without blaming others worries that Aliph would be an unsuitable role model...

Malle may be a colossal idiot, but he is a socially acceptable colossal idiot. Keep in mind that by Demon standards, Aliph was an oddball even before he got himself killed the first time - enough that Malle was preferable to him for an official position in Zivnth. Aliph doesn't do social and doesn't do charming, and while demons care about strength, evidently flair counts for a fair bit in their eyes. So, while Kria (who knows and respects her brother for who he is) doesn't see a problem with it, other demons might raise an eyebrow

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on December 21, 2020, 10:16:06 AM
Hey Amber, just wanted to say, from a lurker: Thanks for sticking around for such a long time. In some way, on-and-off, this comic has accompanied me through various phases of my life - and I was always amazed how alive it felt. I think the amount of thought and dedication you put to it demands a whole lot of respect. I'm really happy to be along for the ride and I'm looking forward to see where you'll take us.

Agreed! I've stuck with this comic for years at this point, and I'm eager to see where the story is going to go.

Tuyu

Quote from: killpurakat on December 21, 2020, 03:52:24 AM
I actually teared up a little over Regina and Aliph's interaction. Like, so it isn't standard in it's wording, but... I can feel the love and respect between the two, and especially the protective side of Aliph.

He may not feel like Kria's brother as much anymore (according to her), but he's still family.
At moments like this, I wonder whether he's really all that different now than before he was killed. Maybe he just needed something to fully wake him up.

Tarakona

I was just thinking the same thing. For all the talk of him not being himself with each resurrection, he seems to have become what (we as humans at least) may classify as a decent being. But maybe within demon society, that's the problem.

killpurakat

Quote from: Tarakona on December 22, 2020, 03:07:04 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. For all the talk of him not being himself with each resurrection, he seems to have become what (we as humans at least) may classify as a decent being. But maybe within demon society, that's the problem.

The whole demon society thing could easily be a "problem" as far as Aliph is concerned, since he values how that society views success and power (otherwise I doubt he would have attempted his take-over plot at all, let alone sped it up and botched it), but he also doesn't hold those views himself (or so it seems from his interactions with Regina; meticulous order and cunning planning and rational analysis, and the respect those garner, fits better with Aliph than the random power acquiring/displays most demons go for).

And you are right, that might be influencing how Kria sees her brother each time he is resurrected too. Hadn't thought of that.

I was thinking of Aliph's resurrections as possibly time and/or interaction dependent, and him not having enough of those between his deaths. Like, Dan isn't that old, so this has only been going on years at most. And what if, after being resurrected, Aliph needs a year or two or five before he's "wholy awake" again, so to speak? Or if he needs to interact with others or experience certain things to fully come back (sort of like how some people can get rusty if they don't use a second language, but speaking it for a few hours jogs their memory and brings it all to the forefront)?

Regina and the isolation (even with Kria calling him up and keeping him in the loop) and all that might be combining to really help him be him again. Plus, since Dan isn't going after Regina (or Aliph, I think), and Aliph isn't going for any takeovers either, he's got some space to just BREATHE, and that might be a huge factor too.

Viking ZX

Everyone in here talking about the heartwarming aspects of Aliph's parenting and I'm all just "Wait, she's interested in Jericho? BEGIN THE SHIPPING!" Also, good thing she turned Aliph down on that check ... He's not super fond of cubi, IIRC.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Viking ZX on December 23, 2020, 12:53:01 PM
Everyone in here talking about the heartwarming aspects of Aliph's parenting and I'm all just "Wait, she's interested in Jericho? BEGIN THE SHIPPING!" Also, good thing she turned Aliph down on that check ... He's not super fond of cubi, IIRC.

I... might need a reminder who Jericho is.

And last I checked, it was just one 'Cubi Aliph has a quarrel with. A 'Cubi who's killed him numerous times, is presently in a semi-truce with him (unless I'm getting my memories crossed), and has only recently discovered and come to terms with the fact that he is a 'Cubi.

killpurakat

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on December 23, 2020, 06:17:04 PM

And last I checked, it was just one 'Cubi Aliph has a quarrel with. A 'Cubi who's killed him numerous times, is presently in a semi-truce with him (unless I'm getting my memories crossed), and has only recently discovered and come to terms with the fact that he is a 'Cubi.

Jericho is one of Piflak's descendants, and apparently super pink, which might make for an adorbs child, ergo, Piflak suggested him and Regina meeting (since she technically has a space in her Clan ATM).
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1862.php

Also, Aliph was actually EXCITED about Lorenda dating Dan (like, about 10 seconds after he first heard it), as he thought Dan being of Cyra's Clan meant he was more powerful than an average cubi and thus would be a good ally to have IN ADDITION to the bonus that perhaps them being linked via Lorenda would mean he could come to some arrangement with Dan and avoid Dan killing him in the future. So, I wouldn't say he hates Cubi, or even Dan.

As far as shipping goes, we know nothing about Jericho beyond his name and he is a cubi and belongs to Piflak's Clan and is pink, which means we know nothing about his character, personality, or anything and can't really make any sort of call about whether he and Regina might be a good romantic pairing. We don't even have an image, so even on a superficial level, can't say much.

Regina has shown herself to be quite superficial, especially in some of the bonus content, but she has been maturing somewhat, so the fact that he is cute is a good start to the pairing, but I'm thinking she, at least, will need more than just a cute face. I'm interested to see if the two get any outside interference, since Piflak has professed to having an interest in them having a child, and I'm sure Regina's family will have OPINIONS, both good and bad, about dating a cubi from such a powerful and influential Clan.

Tapewolf

Quote from: killpurakat on December 23, 2020, 07:13:06 PM
Also, Aliph was actually EXCITED about Lorenda dating Dan (like, about 10 seconds after he first heard it), as he thought Dan being of Cyra's Clan meant he was more powerful than an average cubi and thus would be a good ally to have IN ADDITION to the bonus that perhaps them being linked via Lorenda would mean he could come to some arrangement with Dan and avoid Dan killing him in the future. So, I wouldn't say he hates Cubi, or even Dan.

If we take DP's remark in 388 to be gospel, he's been in a position to rat Dan out to Hizell for quite some time.  However, given the Soulstealers' relationship with dragonkind in general, it's quite possible that DP really hates Hizell, whereas Dan has been more of a recurring nuisance.  If he is in the loop on Kria's alliance with Biggs, DP might well be open to joining forces with Daniel Cyra if it helps get rid of someone he hates even more.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

InhumanInterest

Quote from: killpurakat on December 21, 2020, 03:52:24 AM
He may not feel like Kria's brother as much anymore (according to her), but he's still family. And who knows, maybe that oddness will actually go away by interacting and caring for Regina, and Kria will get her brother back in full. After all, that resurrection stuff may honestly need some time after it happens to fully bring a person back 100%.

Actually that's a very interesting thought because a lot of the described weirdness could be one of those "chipping off a bit of your soul each time" things and more than a few people hold that your soul grows and develops by living your life. That is things like socializing, caring about others, learning, etc doing that sounds like a pretty reasonable guess.

Viking ZX

And last I checked, it was just one ‘Cubi Aliph has a quarrel with. A ‘Cubi who’s killed him numerous times, is presently in a semi-truce with him (unless I’m getting my memories crossed), and has only recently discovered and come to terms with the fact that he is a ‘Cubi.
Yeah that was my bad. It's just Dan he dislikes. Guess it's time for another archive binge! I mixed up my cubi too.

As far as shipping goes, we know nothing about Jericho beyond his name and he is a cubi and belongs to Piflak's Clan and is pink, which means we know nothing about his character, personality, or anything and can't really make any sort of call about whether he and Regina might be a good romantic pairing. We don't even have an image, so even on a superficial level, can't say much..

I got my cubi mixed up. I was thinking of Jeremiah from Taun. My bad!
I'm an author! Check out my site!

killpurakat

Quote from: Viking ZX on December 24, 2020, 02:38:59 AM

Yeah that was my bad. It's just Dan he dislikes. Guess it's time for another archive binge! I mixed up my cubi too.

As far as shipping goes, we know nothing about Jericho beyond his name and he is a cubi and belongs to Piflak's Clan and is pink, which means we know nothing about his character, personality, or anything and can't really make any sort of call about whether he and Regina might be a good romantic pairing. We don't even have an image, so even on a superficial level, can't say much..

I got my cubi mixed up. I was thinking of Jeremiah from Taun. My bad!

Holidays are a good time for an archive binge! End 2020 positively! :D I am totes doing this! Thanks for the idea.  :hug

Snufkin

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard link=topic=11899.msg391635#msg391635 date=1608765424

/quote]

Once every few years I post in order to remind people that there is an unofficial text search engine for DMFA.

http://www.littlelevers.com/dmfa/dmfasearch.php

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Snufkin on December 29, 2020, 09:26:59 PM
Quote from: ProfesseurRenard link=topic=11899.msg391635#msg391635 date=1608765424

/quote]

Once every few years I post in order to remind people that there is an unofficial text search engine for DMFA.

http://www.littlelevers.com/dmfa/dmfasearch.php
Thanks. This might come in handy whenever I find myself out of my depth.