Looking for minor legal advice concerning DUI

Started by TheDXM, September 24, 2006, 04:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDXM

Here's the scoop, folks.

Last night things got a little unhinged around my place, and terrible things occured. Some dogs got loose at about 2 AM, and in an attempt to intice them back home, my mother decided to lay on the horn and get the car started. This ultimately resulted in the disturbance of our neighbors, whom I believe to be a rather large family of illegal immigrants. The dogs were not aggressive, but loud, and this scared our neighbors enough to get the good old police involved.

So here I am, drunk stupid, but being the only one sober enough to not tear the cop's head off, I had to try and cover the situation. Fortunately, my age went overlooked, however, my mother ended up with a DUI on PRIVATE PROPERTY, because apparantly it's illegal to get drunk and drive circles in your own backyard. The officers informed me that your license cannot be suspened under those circumstances, but you can't trust those guys as far as you can throw them sometimes.

I merely wish to know if anyone has been in a similar situation such as this, and can possibly give me a little heads up. We cannot possibly afford an attorney and the loss of my mother's car or license would be devastating to both me and herself. I googled a few things regarding private property violations, and it didn't turn up very helpful, so I'm at a bit of a loss for information. I live in Illinois, should anyone be specifically aware of laws that apply within the state it may be helpful.

Thank ya.

Leafar

Well, my mom is a lawyer but we live in Brazil...
I just told her your case and she told me that i should advice you to consult a lawyer tomorrow...Consults are mostly free right?

At the other hand you could pay a visit at the Cars and Roads Department (i don't know how they call it there) but it is the organ responsible for the fines and stuff at your state...There they will give you the information that you need! ;)

Netami

Sorry, I've never been a redneck and got drunk and drove ciricles in my backyard at 2 in the morning.  :paranoid

Damaris

It's against the law to operate any motor vehicle while under the influence, period.  I believe I have read of people getting citations for driving riding lawn mowers drunk.  She could definitely be in trouble, private property or no.  However, it does depend on your state's laws.

I agree with talking to a lawyer.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Aridas

Damaris

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

King Of Hearts

wait... who was drunk, you or your mom?

Consult a lawyer, Im not familiar with American jurisprudence but from what I know you can get arrested even on your own property.