2015/07/06 [DMFA #1587] Hope flies eternal

Started by Anri, July 07, 2015, 02:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anri

Hope keeps you going when all seems lost. Hope lights the way during your darkest hours.

And then she got her Blue Lantern ring and the matrix of leadership opened.

But seriously amazing imagery.

Edit: Fixed your date format for you. -- llearch

Tarakona

Amazing imagery indeed. I especially like the shadow itself shattering. Very symbolic.

I also can't begin to express how much I needed to see this. Thank you for taking the time to make even a more somber comic as real and vivid as you do, Amber. I won't go into details, but I have to make a very difficult decision this afternoon regarding a loved one. Somehow, the universe conspires to deliver messages right when we need them. This is not the first time a DMFA comic spoke to me, personally, and appreciate it more than words can say.

Thank you for reminding me that hope really is powerful, and sometimes just getting up and moving forward is the best and most powerful thing you can do.

-Tara

Kipiru

And with this I gained even more affection and respect for Fa'lina- I did not think that possible. I seriously hate the whole clan leaders cannot have children rule, solely because of Fa'lina's suffering in that regard- she doesn't deserve it.
:goamber

FairWage22

:goamber*coughs*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Y-FbeCX14

This... is what went through my head when I saw the last couple of days.   And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTjLxXFg0k

Not sure if that was the intended direction or suggestion, but...

Just... Yeah.   She very much was the Doctor at Stonehenge.  She literally had Nothing to Lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSf8w28Fs4

Apologies for all the media linkages, they express it better than I can.

Separate Thought:

The Phoenix Oracles are considered some of the most infallible 'seeing things' in terms of 'what's going on'.  And *they* are not seeing everything.  So there's always the Hope that somewhere, somehow, buried someplace there's a descendant of Fa'lina that doesn't know their lineage.  As a result, perfectly safe yet never knowing...

After all, Hope springs Eternal.

Apologies on the meandering and the media linking.

For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Jasonrevall

Hope is a powerful thing. When you have the strength and will to go with it nothing can stop you.

Love these pages. Very well done.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Kipiru

I whipped this up, with the art of the last two pages- I hope Amber doesn't mind  :mowwink

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wageslave94 on July 07, 2015, 05:15:35 AM
The Phoenix Oracles are considered some of the most infallible 'seeing things' in terms of 'what's going on'.  And *they* are not seeing everything.  So there's always the Hope that somewhere, somehow, buried someplace there's a descendant of Fa'lina that doesn't know their lineage.  As a result, perfectly safe yet never knowing...

Hmm.  I was going to point out that this was unlikely since Fa'Lina would have a link to any living descendants.  However, the link doesn't seem to work properly inside SAIA, e.g. Jeremiah had to leave the premises to communicate with Taun.  So I guess it's not out of the question, but there are still problems.  For example, this happened about 7000 years ago - 'cubi don't normally last much beyond 3000, Destania apparently having been propped up by Cyra to ensure her own line doesn't die out.

In principle one of Fa'Lina's children could have hidden an infant somewhere before he or she died - from what Cyra has said it's not clear the leader can detect the child until their marking comes in.  If the child was hidden off-plane or otherwise cut off from Fa'Lina's sight, they wouldn't have been able to reconnect once SAIA was hidden.  But they would still have had to have evaded the dragons long enough to have several generations of undetected children including through the bloodiest parts of the war when something like 90% of the 'cubi race was killed off.

So I suppose it's possible, but it would need quite a lot of plot gymnastics to work.  I wouldn't hold out much hope.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

:goamber*coughs*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Y-FbeCX14

This... is what went through my head when I saw the last couple of days.   And this.

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" "And that which does makes you -dead-!"

Also, the autotune on that track is quite obvious, which detracted from enjoying it. Oh, well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTjLxXFg0k

That's... that's quite a sad story there, if you read between the lines.

After all, Hope springs Eternal.

... because she was glued to the trampoline. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored

I found DMFA originally about a year or two in, and went back to read the beginning. From there, I've been a regular reader, and although my originally attraction was to the funny comedy, I've been extremely pleased to see the strip blossom into a thoughtful, fully-realized storyline with marvelously in-depth characters.

Thank you, Amber. I know the ride will end someday, and I'm in no rush. This has been an excellent journey so far, and I look forward to continuing it.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 07, 2015, 09:24:41 AM
Hmm.  I was going to point out that this was unlikely since Fa'Lina would have a link to any living descendants.  However, the link doesn't seem to work properly inside SAIA, e.g. Jeremiah had to leave the premises to communicate with Taun.

My feeling on that, would be that the reason Jeremiah had to leave is that SAIA is Fa'lina's personal realm...but that idea opens a whole 'nother can of worms, namely that all students at SAIA are cut off from their leaders. But at any rate, if that were the case, I can't accept that it would block Fa'lina from her own clan, since all other leaders can communicate with their clans without having to leave their realms.

QuoteSo I guess it's not out of the question, but there are still problems.  For example, this happened about 7000 years ago - 'cubi don't normally last much beyond 3000...

Nothing that couldn't be remedied by a magical deus time travel ex machina.

QuoteIn principle one of Fa'Lina's children could have hidden an infant somewhere before he or she died - from what Cyra has said it's not clear the leader can detect the child until their marking comes in.  If the child was hidden off-plane or otherwise cut off from Fa'Lina's sight, they wouldn't have been able to reconnect once SAIA was hidden.  But they would still have had to have evaded the dragons long enough to have several generations of undetected children including through the bloodiest parts of the war when something like 90% of the 'cubi race was killed off.

That sounds like a job for suspended animation.  If my tea-room-headcanon is right, Aniz (as a part of whatever project he was on that resulted in Abel) had the ability to tell whether a child of his would turn out 'cubi from birth, so that he didn't have to stick around for 10-20 years to find out whether or not he had a dud...(y'see, I suspect Abel and Devin are brothers by Aniz...  :3 ) So, if it's possible to identify latent-'cubi infants, just bottle up a few and put them on the shelf...the very very very very very well-hidden shelf.

QuoteSo I suppose it's possible, but it would need quite a lot of plot gymnastics to work.  I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Lots and LOTS of unobtainium...

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 07, 2015, 09:24:41 AM
However, the link doesn't seem to work properly inside SAIA, e.g. Jeremiah had to leave the premises to communicate with Taun.  

Truth be that has more to do with Taun than the Academy.  Some clans do not feel comfortable having discreet conversations where they feel Fa'Lina could be tapping into them.  But Fa'Lina wouldn't be so callous as to deny a communication channel outright. After all, that is how Siar was able to give the heads up that something was going wrong to ask for her children's assistance...which Aniz was able to get the memo from despite being in the Academy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 07, 2015, 04:57:28 PM
Truth be that has more to do with Taun than the Academy.  Some clans do not feel comfortable having discreet conversations where they feel Fa'Lina could be tapping into them.  But Fa'Lina wouldn't be so callous as to deny a communication channel outright.

Oh, interesting.  FWIW malice didn't really enter into it - I assumed it would be a technical issue relating to the way SAIA is protected.

QuoteAfter all, that is how Siar was able to give the heads up that something was going wrong to ask for her children's assistance...which Aniz was able to get the memo from despite being in the Academy.
Very true.  So all in all, it makes something that was already quite unlikely even more so..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

I like how Fa'Lina says "I was the clan of hope" instead of like, the leader of the clan of hope or something like that. Much stronger!

And I would still love to see that backstory arc, even if it would be ALL THE SADS HU HU HU because c'mon, Fa'Lina! And her Mab-crush!  :eager

berkinix

Quote from: Tuyu on July 07, 2015, 04:33:01 PM
If my tea-room-headcanon is right, Aniz (as a part of whatever project he was on that resulted in Abel) had the ability to tell whether a child of his would turn out 'cubi from birth, so that he didn't have to stick around for 10-20 years to find out whether or not he had a dud...(y'see, I suspect Abel and Devin are brothers by Aniz...  :3 )

Actually, I don't think Aniz had any such ability. In the 2nd part of Abel's Story, Aniz tells Fa'Lina that part of the reason he bungled up his "master plan" in regards to Abel is because he waited around to make sure Abel was really born a cubi. And wasn't it mentioned in a really old forum post that Devin was actually sired by an angel? (I could be wrong on that one.)

ANTIcarrot

Daniel: Wait a minute... If you could break those chains at any time, why didn't you do it before all your clan was killed?
Fa'Lina: ...
Daniel: You gotta admit that's a bit of a logic hole in your story
Fa'Lina: Shut up.
Daniel: I'm just saying, ya know. Plot hole.
Fa'Lina: What did I say about interruptions?
:rolleyes
<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

Infranscia

*starts singing Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway*

Want. To. Hug. Fa'Lina! :hug

Not much else to add other than I really enjoyed this page and I also would like to see Fa'Lina's backstory. :mowsmile

EDIT: Thought of something...

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on July 08, 2015, 09:15:38 AMDaniel: Wait a minute... If you could break those chains at any time, why didn't you do it before all your clan was killed?

Any word on whether the chains actually happened or if they're just metaphorical?
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Wageslave94 on July 07, 2015, 05:15:35 AMSo there's always the Hope that somewhere, somehow, buried someplace there's a descendant of Fa'lina that doesn't know their lineage.  As a result, perfectly safe yet never knowing...
Every time I re-read Abel's Story, my brain insists on clinging to the fact that Hizell purged Siar's line "down to the infants in their cradles" and then going "BUT WHAT ABOUT UNBORN ONES HUH"  :B
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Starcat5

Quote from: Kipiru on July 07, 2015, 08:58:36 AM
I whipped this up, with the art of the last two pages- I hope Amber doesn't mind  :mowwink

Have an applaud. That wallpaper is now in my shuffle list.  :mowmeep
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

MT Hazard

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on July 08, 2015, 09:15:38 AM
Daniel: Wait a minute... If you could break those chains at any time, why didn't you do it before all your clan was killed?

Eddie: You mean you could've taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?
Roger: No, not at any time, only when it was funny.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

ishidan

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 08, 2015, 10:52:41 PM
Quote from: Wageslave94 on July 07, 2015, 05:15:35 AMSo there's always the Hope that somewhere, somehow, buried someplace there's a descendant of Fa'lina that doesn't know their lineage.  As a result, perfectly safe yet never knowing...
Every time I re-read Abel's Story, my brain insists on clinging to the fact that Hizell purged Siar's line "down to the infants in their cradles" and then going "BUT WHAT ABOUT UNBORN ONES HUH"  :B

They usually go part and parcel with killing the mother.

Scow2

It's not possible to discern if someone is actually a 'cubi or not until Headwings, but it's very easy to tell if someone is not a 'cubi from birth - just look at the back. Wings? Possibly 'cubi, might just be being with a mutation. No wings? Definitely not 'cubi.

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 08, 2015, 10:52:41 PM
Those were killed with their parents.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Cassi-kun on July 08, 2015, 10:52:41 PMEvery time I re-read Abel's Story, my brain insists on clinging to the fact that Hizell purged Siar's line "down to the infants in their cradles" and then going "BUT WHAT ABOUT UNBORN ONES HUH"  :B

Quote from: ishidan on July 09, 2015, 12:55:29 PMThey usually go part and parcel with killing the mother.

Quote from: Scow2 on July 09, 2015, 04:25:27 PM
Those were killed with their parents.

That would only really qualify if the mother were from Clan Siar, though. If the mothers were from other clans (or weren't Cubi at all), they wouldn't necessarily have been hit in the purge of Siar's clan. Obviously if a female from Siar's clan were pregnant, her child[ren] died with her, but a non-Siar female could still have been carrying the child of a Siar-clan father.

But honestly, I'm pretty sure we're not going to be introduced to any "new" Siar-clan Cubi anyways. This is just the direction my brain likes to go in: clinging to the obviously-not-gonna-happen possibilities based purely on phrasing because there's no actual evidence :B

...unless there's gonna be another Siar at Piflak's party and that's why Quoar slipped Abel an invite. Dun dun dunnn.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!