You might notice the forum themes have changed.

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, July 04, 2016, 10:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

TL;DR: old forum barfed, we had to upgrade. HTH, HAND. Your themes might have been reset. So sorry.

Longer explanation follows.

We were running a fairly old version of the forum, with some specific hacks we added, and those did not play nicely with upgrades. This wasn't a problem until last Thursday or so, when the forum decided it wasn't going to run anymore because some php calls were deprecated, and apparently deprecated means "OH MY GAWD, I CAN'T LIVE WITH THIS EVER!", and the coders of SMF seem to feel that "All the errors ever should go to the browser" is a sane thing to include in a production environment[1], and also that regexes are the only tool ever, so sprinkle them all over their code even when it's a terrible idea. But that's a side issue.

The side effects of this are that we've been forced to brute-force an upgrade over the top of the old version; all the old themes are dead and gone, and any theme you see may or may not actually work; we will be working to upgrade the themes to work with the new version of the server, and will let you know when things happen[2].

We may also add some more maintenance to see about adding the tools we had previously, back into the server, but you won't see any of that, it'll just be on the admin side.

Sorry you've been bothered,

The CMF Admins

[1] hint, it's not. It's the very very first thing you turn off, because users don't need to see database errors, they just need to know that something is broken. if you want to know what's going on with the actual problem, you should go look at the logs. -sigh-
[2] Probably here, but we'll see.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

At least the forum works, and everything should display properly for everyone again. That said, we're sticking to the default skins for now until everything is finalized, and then I'll look at upgrading the look and feel of this place once again.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

In other news - be aware that some of the other themes won't work very well at all, and some people have specifically selected those themes for their profile. This will mean you can't, for example, see the menu bar across the top. If you find yourself in this situation, drop a note here and we'll kick you over into the default theme.

Or you can just wait until we get the themes updated. That works, too. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Nice work!

I'm using the DMFA theme right now and the preview button on the advanced edition page has no text. Additionally (and this is a bit more annoying) the two buttons under the quick reply area have no text either, and the forum jump (both the drop-down list and the button) are also devoid of words.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkmoon

I'm expecting we'll probably kick everyone to the default skins soon, and then I'll work on making two themes (a dark and a light) to work from going forward. If you can wait out the issues you're seeing, I'd suggest it.

Mao

I can wait.  Seeing the busted layout reminds me of some moments at work that led to funny moments.  But not funny "haha" but funny like "if I don't laugh I'm gonna cry."

Darkmoon

Okay, I reset everyone to the Forum Default for now, and deleted all the old, non-functioning skins. Sorry to anyone using the old ones, but I did say this would happen.

The make up for it, I added in one new skin so far: CMF Light. I recolored the blue to give it that CMF feel, so reds and oranges, and I made sure to go through and fix all the images too (including whatever languages we have on in this forum).

I will work on a new dark skin, hopefully tomorrow if I have the time.