25/04/2011 [DMFA #1213] - Cyra makes a cute old lady

Started by Feather Dancer, April 25, 2011, 03:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feather Dancer

Surprised it's not here yet.

She makes an adorable elderly grandma yet I don't doubt she'd still beat the hell out of you.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Sienna Maiu - M T

We the winners of the bet would like our payment in small bills please.
(She did indeed change her appearance to make Dan more comfortable.)

That said, she certainly does not need to look like the old woman who takes the intrepid young hero on a journey of self-growth and exploration deep into the mountain-scape... :.

Middle ground would be awesome.

(And yes, great grand-children; called that one too.)
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Zinc210

"cute old lady" was the first thing that came to my mind too! :U She just looks ever so charming.

joshofspam

Watch as Dan swerves to avoid the plot theme.

Cookies, children and grandchildren. Well it seems like so far Fa'lina and Cyra are par for course similar in grandmotherly duties. Spoil the grandchildren.

Boy, it must be a real treat to be baby sat by your grandmother when she's a tri-wing cubi.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Sienna Maiu - M T

I imagine in long-living Cubi the for desire children carries on for more than one generation, because they really can appreciate it... Also, since she has lost so much of her clan, I would imagine she would really want her family to grow.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Blackwolf359

His reaction is slightly less amusing than Pyroducks when Fa'Lina brought up the subject of grandchildren.

*rereads comic*

Dan and Cyra never seem to fail to make me laugh though.
If someone pushes you into the abyss...Jump and grab them so they can race you to the bottom :P

POODLE! That is all.

LordViking

Amber really does an amazing job on drawing an elderly Cyra. Just adding crow's feet and grey hair would not have been able to make her look old, but now she really does.

MT Hazard

At least in this form she can do something she has probably be waiting hundreds of years to do, hug her grandson.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mao

I'm not sure which of the two appearances of Cyra I like more.  The older, smaller looking one is far more warm and inviting... but there's just something *ahem* nice about the more youthful one.

Ah well, by talking about great grandchildren she's entered into that realm that I always dreaded with my grandparents.  No short wonder:  When I was 16 they were asking about them so yeah, discomfort abounded.

Raskahn

I wonder how long it will take until Dan gets a closeup of that cane.

Alondro

Charles ohs!:  And she also needs to make inappropriate and embarassing passes at your friends on your birthday!

*people stare at Charles*

Charles:  :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Stig Hemmer

"Size matters not, ... Look at me. Judge me by size, do you?"
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Turnsky

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 25, 2011, 07:44:50 AM
I'm not sure which of the two appearances of Cyra I like more.  The older, smaller looking one is far more warm and inviting... but there's just something *ahem* nice about the more youthful one.

Ah well, by talking about great grandchildren she's entered into that realm that I always dreaded with my grandparents.  No short wonder:  When I was 16 they were asking about them so yeah, discomfort abounded.

that and she also reminds me of yoda.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Maark30

I kind of wonder what her reaction to the great-grand kids will be if they turn out to be his and Matillda's.  I just keep remembering the image that Amber came up with for the Hybrid Genetics lecture http://www.missmab.com/Demo/HG02.php
:shapeshifters Not that the children's looks will mater once they hit adulthood :explosion
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Ghostwish

That's one topic you're never going to get away from Dan. ;)

Geez Amber. First muscle structure and now age? Is there no artistic challenge you won't tackle? Keep it up. ^_^

Scrap Fish

You know, for some reason I feel Dan is no more at ease with this form than the last one.
:sweatdrop

Nor will he get cookies.
How  disappointing.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Tapewolf

What disturbs me slightly is the way she keeps probing his memories.  Pyroduck doesn't even need to enter the room if she learns of him that way.  And AFAIK Dan doesn't know of Pyro's link to Fa'lina.

That and whilst Dan is bound to let this out once they get past the pleasantries, looking into his memories may very quickly show her that Dan is a retired monster hunter who is suspicious of 'Cubi and afraid of becoming evil.  She might take that in her stride, she might not...

Regarding grandchildren, SAIA is liable to make that complicated for Dan to pull off in the short term, though he probably doesn't know about said restrictions yet (Cyra almost certainly does though).

Quote from: Scrap Fish on April 25, 2011, 10:58:12 AM
You know, for some reason I feel Dan is no more at ease with this form than the last one.

As Turnsky said, she looks like Yoda.  Simply making herself Dan's size might have been better.  I love his expression in the last panel, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Toric

Granny Cyra is adorable. I can't wait for her to adorably beat some sense into Dan's skull.

Also, Dan's fairly lucky with his ancestor/spirit guide. He could've ended up talking to this gal.
Yap by Silver.

Nixie

I knew it!! Hahaha! Commence the nagging about great grandchildren, Cyra!! :mwaha
I'm the artist of Anthronauts.

LionHeart

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 25, 2011, 03:58:03 AM
We the winners of the bet would like our payment in small bills please.
(She did indeed change her appearance to make Dan more comfortable.)

That said, she certainly does not need to look like the old woman who takes the intrepid young hero on a journey of self-growth and exploration deep into the mountain-scape... :.
The resemblance might not be unintentional on Cyra's part...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2011, 11:19:14 AM
Regarding grandchildren, SAIA is liable to make that complicated for Dan to pull off in the short term, though he probably doesn't know about said restrictions yet (Cyra almost certainly does though).

Oh, the child might not be cared for at SAIA, but it could certainly be sired there.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

AndersW

Quote from: Pagan on April 25, 2011, 12:51:36 PM

Oh, the child might not be cared for at SAIA, but it could certainly be sired there.

I believe SAIA has a policy against getting pregnant/getting someone else pregnant while enrolled.  And it is a no tolerance policy as well.  Will have to find Amber's post on that.

EDIT: Found it

Quote from: Amber WilliamsThere is no all-field magic that prevents a Cubi from getting pregnant at SAIA. (While there is types of magical contraceptives, they are up to the individuals to place on themselves)   However there is an auto-expulsion policy that is zero tolerance enforced.

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,3297.msg142221/topicseen.html#msg142221

Techcubi

Heh. How many tri-wings would actually go out of their way to make themselves look elderly for their descendants? XD

MT Hazard

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

AndersW

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 25, 2011, 01:40:20 PM
Does elder Cyra look Chinese to anyone else?

Its the kimono.

I also notice that it is now covering her clan mark.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Some thoughts may not mesh with original thoughts of commentary; internet crashes and whatnot you know.

Quote from: Blackwolf359 on April 25, 2011, 04:44:25 AM
His reaction is slightly less amusing than Pyroducks when Fa'Lina brought up the subject of grandchildren.
Well, if you think about it Dan probably wants children. However, he probably does not want to have the awkward conversation of not having found the right girl to have said children with yet. (And I wonder, just what would grandma think of his obsession with Amazons.)

Quote from: LordViking on April 25, 2011, 05:04:48 AM
Amber really does an amazing job on drawing an elderly Cyra. Just adding crow's feet and grey hair would not have been able to make her look old, but now she really does.
[forgottenwords]
And she manages to make her look cute-old, rather than May's sick and dying creepyold.

Quote from: MT Hazard on April 25, 2011, 06:42:35 AM
At least in this form she can do something she has probably be waiting hundreds of years to do, hug her grandson.
d'aww~ :3

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 25, 2011, 07:44:50 AM
We never have had to deal with that at all. O.O

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on April 25, 2011, 08:43:41 AM
I wonder how long it will take until Dan gets a closeup of that cane.
That really does not seem to me as something which Cyra would do...
Unless you figure that's something that's in Dan's head too :P

Quote from: Alondro on April 25, 2011, 09:22:29 AM
Charles *words and actions*
*snickers*

Quote from: Maark30 on April 25, 2011, 10:17:59 AM
I kind of wonder what her reaction to the great-grand kids will be if they turn out to be his and Matillda's.  I just keep remembering the image that Amber came up with for the Hybrid Genetics lecture http://www.missmab.com/Demo/HG02.php
Cubi are Cubi. My guess is that she'll think they're cute as a button.

That and whilst Dan is bound to let this out once they get past the pleasantries, looking into his memories may very quickly show her that Dan is a retired monster hunter who is suspicious of 'Cubi and afraid of becoming evil.  She might take that in her stride, she might not...
I highly doubt that on a first conversation Cyra is going to go trawling through her grandson's memories. Even if she is his clan leader, that's still a bit of an invasion of privacy (especially if she were to see that he can not even return in kind, really).
And as far as what she might see may go... she would also see that he loves his mother, that he is willing to try to see another point of view, and that he is going to attend the SAIAcademy. [That, and he doesn't get on with dragons for his own personal reasons.]

QuoteSimply making herself Dan's size might have been better.
You are telling me that you would not find it the least bit disconcerting for your grandmother to appear your age?
His mother at least looks about ten years older than him, and I'm sure that Dan really wouldn't mind his mother always looking the same age as she always had.

Quote from: Toric on April 25, 2011, 11:37:43 AM
Also, Dan's fairly lucky with his ancestor/spirit guide. He could've ended up talking to this gal.
Catch twenty-two in your link there.
http://%22http//www.missmab.com/Demo/Leader08.php%22
Also, I'm guessing that aside from some initial confusion, Dimanika would likely be sensical with those of her clan. (It could (mostly) all be an act, afterall.)

Quote from: LionHeart on April 25, 2011, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 25, 2011, 03:58:03 AM
The resemblance might not be unintentional on Cyra's part...
Possibly.  It really all depends on what she has planned, now doesn't it?

Quote from: Techcubi on April 25, 2011, 01:29:10 PM
Heh. How many tri-wings would actually go out of their way to make themselves look elderly for their descendants? XD
Likely not the tough ones. The rough-and-tumble "deal with it" sort of ones.

Quote from: AndersW on April 25, 2011, 01:43:39 PM
I also notice that it is now covering her clan mark.
I suppose that I shouldn't really admit that I'd noticed earlier that her clothing was covering up a whole lot more than before :dotdotdot
my art thread

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on April 25, 2011, 02:32:34 PM
I highly doubt that on a first conversation Cyra is going to go trawling through her grandson's memories. Even if she is his clan leader, that's still a bit of an invasion of privacy (especially if she were to see that he can not even return in kind, really).

You might want to reread the left panel, she's already said she's doing that.  That's presumably how she knows his room is blue, and possibly also in page 1003.  (Plus I still think that she may have been controlling dream-Regina)
Whether she can see it all or whether she's just doing some kind of thought-reading gig is not clear at the moment - we don't know if Dan has functioning mental shields yet.

QuoteAnd as far as what she might see may go... she would also see that he loves his mother, that he is willing to try to see another point of view, and that he is going to attend the SAIAcademy. [That, and he doesn't get on with dragons for his own personal reasons.]
Also that he's not keen on SAIA, but is slowly being convinced.  And that he's scared by the idea that his mother is/was evil.  Which could make for a very interesting conversation.

You are telling me that you would not find it the least bit disconcerting for your grandmother to appear your age?
His mother at least looks about ten years older than him, and I'm sure that Dan really wouldn't mind his mother always looking the same age as she always had.

Dan is going to have to face up to it eventually.  Yes, it's liable to be weird at first, but he'll get used to it - Cyra assuming a form Dan finds pleasing feels a bit like a mental crutch at best, and deceptive at worst (e.g. how medieval succubi are supposed to assume a pleasing form to seduce their prey).  Ultimately Dan is in a position where he's slowly coming to terms with the fact that he's not a Being - Cyra pretending to be Being-like might not be so helpful.

For what it's worth, if I was a member of a race with that kind of lifespan, then yes, I think I would prefer them to be open about it (as opposed to, say, Aniz).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Infranscia

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2011, 11:19:14 AMWhat disturbs me slightly is the way she keeps probing his memories.  Pyroduck doesn't even need to enter the room if she learns of him that way.  And AFAIK Dan doesn't know of Pyro's link to Fa'lina.

That and whilst Dan is bound to let this out once they get past the pleasantries, looking into his memories may very quickly show her that Dan is a retired monster hunter who is suspicious of 'Cubi and afraid of becoming evil.  She might take that in her stride, she might not...

I'm kind of wondering whether she's even doing it intentionally. :/  As for finding stuff out, I think she's being pretty open-minded (no joke intended).  I mean, she saw that a lot had happened to Dan and didn't seem phased.

Though yeah, here's to hoping she's at least keeping peekings at a minimum.

Size and age aren't necessarily connected that closely.  I'm about the same size as my grandmother, and it doesn't really bother me.  I think he just means that she didn't have to be so short.

Quote from: AndersW on April 25, 2011, 01:43:39 PMI also notice that it is now covering her clan mark.
I suppose that I shouldn't really admit that I'd noticed earlier that her clothing was covering up a whole lot more than before :dotdotdot[/quote]

Normally when Cubi shift fake-clothes, the clan mark still appears on top, but it looks like Tri-Wings have the ability to hide said markings.  She's also hiding her third-wings.  So overall, it looks like she's trying to be more modest (again, no joke intended).

I agree that Cyra still looks nice in this form, if in a different sort of way. ^_^

On a Radio Project note, I wonder if I'm going to have to practice sounding old, if someone else is going to do 'old' Cyra, or if I different voice is even going to be used.

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2011, 04:01:28 PMWhether she can see it all or whether she's just doing some kind of thought-reading gig is not clear at the moment - we don't know if Dan has functioning mental shields yet.

Between Cyra's power and the mind-link thing, I'm not sure mental shields would be sufficient. :/  Unless maybe they were put up by Fa'Lina...
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2011, 04:01:28 PM
You might want to reread the left panel, she's already said she's doing that.  That's presumably how she knows his room is blue, and possibly also in page 1003.  (Plus I still think that she may have been controlling dream-Regina)
Whether she can see it all or whether she's just doing some kind of thought-reading gig is not clear at the moment - we don't know if Dan has functioning mental shields yet.

Even if he did, they wouldn't really help all that much.  Cubi Clan leaders kind of get a pass around a lot of things when it involves their own clans.  And while I realize that the whole "accessing memories" thing can be kind of creepy...that is in some ways the intent in that for a Cubi, it's actually perfectly normal and expected that your clan leader has full access to your own memories and information. It's one of the ways a clan leader gets their information: via their descendents out in the world.  Admittedly there are ways for one to cut the link to varying degrees, but usually that raises a lot of red flags and tends to result in the member also losing out on their sweet power-boost.

I guess the thing with this strip is that it's a culture shock for both Dan and Cyra.  The average Cubi growing up in Cubi-centric lives would expect a larger than life leader who is big and impressive and as such most leaders are more than happy to accomodate that.  The average Cubi (with a clan leader) would know that when you tap into your Clan Leader, you are giving them full access to your mental archives. Dan though isn't really average, and Cyra has picked up on that and thus is adjusting accordingly.  It's kind of catch 22 in that Cyra didn't know that Dan didn't know about the mental information share until she did the mental information share, so it's a bit of a "oops" on both parts there.

TlDr: One sided Hive miIIiiiiIiind.

Sienna Maiu - M T

I'm willing to guess though that aside from thoughts of "changing who you are" Dan is thinking about how hard it was for him to transform that one time (although he likely knows that it's relatively 'simple' for the experienced, he's probably also considering the size difference).

Also, is the art looking more cartoony again to anyone else?

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2011, 04:01:28 PM

You might want to reread the left panel, she's already said she's doing that.  That's presumably how she knows his room is blue, and possibly also in page 1003.
There's a difference between trawling through memories, and just digging out what you're looking for. Also, Daniel would have been very aware of where he was at the time, so it would have been a surface thought/memory.

QuoteDan is going to have to face up to it eventually.  Yes, it's liable to be weird at first, but he'll get used to it - Cyra assuming a form Dan finds pleasing feels a bit like a mental crutch at best, and deceptive at worst (e.g. how medieval succubi are supposed to assume a pleasing form to seduce their prey).  Ultimately Dan is in a position where he's slowly coming to terms with the fact that he's not a Being - Cyra pretending to be Being-like might not be so helpful.
hmm. but if Cyra is wanting to give Daniel a grandmotherly conversation (as I assume she has seen Daniel is expecting) she may just be trying to ease him into things. And she's not exactly taking on a being form (though she has put the triwings away... almost makes one wonder if it's even possible to have them out when they make themselves smaller :P), she's just giving him a face-to-face conversation so that they can get on with it. She's very clearly still a Cubi.

Quote from: Infranscia on April 25, 2011, 04:29:35 PM
I'm kind of wondering whether she's even doing it intentionally. :/  As for finding stuff out, I think she's being pretty open-minded (no joke intended).  I mean, she saw that a lot had happened to Dan and didn't seem phased.
I'm guessing that clan leaders just latently skim their descendant's minds as though it were a magazine... it's just what they do.

Size and age aren't necessarily connected that closely.  I'm about the same size as my grandmother, and it doesn't really bother me.  I think he just means that she didn't have to be so short.

QuoteOn a Radio Project note, I wonder if I'm going to have to practice sounding old, if someone else is going to do 'old' Cyra, or if I different voice is even going to be used.
I shall guess "no". Her voice bubbles look the same, so her voice has remained the same. While I'm sure she could change her voice, she likely doesn't want to, as she already has.

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 25, 2011, 04:33:49 PM
I guess the thing with this strip is that it's a culture shock for both Dan and Cyra.
*clip*
It's kind of catch 22 in that Cyra didn't know that Dan didn't know about the mental information share until she did the mental information share, so it's a bit of a "oops" on both parts there.
I guessed as much.
my art thread