05/15/09 [Abel 2 #55] - Massacre

Started by Fibre, May 15, 2009, 02:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fibre

Well, that certainly wasn't a nice thing to do... If I understand correctly, Aniz is one of those two remaining Siar members (if the clan really exists after the leader is killed?), do we know who the other is?

Jairus

Holy... crap. Damn, Hizell's a Vaarsuvius (WARNING: major Order of the Stick spoilers!). The rivalry between Hizell and Siar must have been one hell of a thing. Two thousand members? Just... wow. Damn... man. Is that what the Cubi/Dragon wars were like?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Frigid

I sure hope I'm not the only one who thought Fa'Lina's "wingspan" was a bit more "perky" than usual in that last panel...

Tsunari

Hmmm, so a 99.9% death rate.  Wonder what the two of the four who went and got themselves killed did during their last day.  Also a dragon can't assault the academy?

Cvstos

I'd imagine that the defenses of SAIA are quite strong, make even dimensional barriers. Makes "storming the gates" a much tougher thing to do than to say, even for a dragon.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Fibre

Heh, I guess the dragons are not friends with any rats, then. :3

Tsunari

Cvstos

Quote from: Fibre on May 15, 2009, 03:03:51 AM
Heh, I guess the dragons are not friends with any rats, then. :3

That would be a dangerous idea. Fa'lina would most certainly know that they're coming, and a tight space like that would make a wonderful bottle-neck/kill-hole.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Tapewolf

2000 members is impressive.  Supposedly in present-day DMFA there are under 30'000 'Cubi in total.  I'd heard from a reliable source that clans normally top out at less than 100 members, so 2000 is astonishing.

This revelation brings up a few questions.  For example, did they stop hunting Siar members down, given that Aniz is alive even after spending 25 years outside?  Are they going to be after Abel?

It's possible that the method they used to hunt down the Siar members had similar limits to Fa'Lina's awareness, e.g. if the survivors stay hidden for more than three months after Siar's death the dragons will no longer be able to 'see' their location.

I am wondering whether Cyra's dragon problem is more widespread.  It's very possible that the dragons want to be rid of all tri-winged 'Cubi clans, in which case Destania's plan - horrible as it is - has a certain practical appeal.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tsunari

Well i wonder how many members of Cyra clan there are in the modern day dmfa?  As well as is Hizell still alive, will we see him/her come after Abel?

We know of one, Abel.  Is Aniz still around, did the other survivor ever have kids, does Abel have siblings?

FSharp

Yikes. Much as I'm sad to see Siar go out with more of a whimper than a bang (even with such a brief appearance, Siar was one of my favorite character designs), I feel even worse for Abel. Finding out your father's a homicidal maniac and _then_ discovering the family you never knew you had was hunted down and slaughtered like cattle, that's a really rotten day.
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tapewolf

Quote from: FSharp on May 15, 2009, 03:48:57 AM
Finding out your father's a homicidal maniac and _then_ discovering the family you never knew you had was hunted down and slaughtered like cattle, that's a really rotten day.

Well, he is finding out why his father is nuts.  That may well help.

FSharp

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2009, 04:21:52 AM
Well, he is finding out why his father is nuts.  That may well help.

Also sheds some light on why Fa'Lina didn't turn Aniz into a cubi-shaped bloodspray when he popped the "You couldn't save your clan from genocide" line (especially when you get the impression he was expecting it). Made me read the top two panels in strip #18 differently as well.
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GundamDragon

Dragons 1998 / cubi um........ lose. But d@#@ thats a have handed tactick but affective. I think that the war will have nore inportence in coming pages then was prevusly thaugh.

Kipiru

You won't see me shed tears for Siar(didn't like the bastards from the start), but seeing Fa'lina so sad(top panel) touches something in me enough to wish things had gone differently. Damn Siar!

Michael Chandra

1998? Or 1996... Because I wonder if those last two fatalities fell against Destania.

Noone

Hizell had allies... It makes me wonder if there were non-dragon or cubi participants in their war? I take it that there aren't many dragons, and if so, getting together an army of dragons would be a slim possibility. I wonder who those other participants were, if they weren't dragons, as I can certainly see it that the actions of Clan Siar were such a blight that they had racked up a large host of enemies that would be willing to ally with a dragon. Plus, I kind of get the impression dragons don't work together easily either, large powerful, and fragile egos tend not to mix.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Michael Chandra on May 15, 2009, 05:55:52 AM
1998? Or 1996... Because I wonder if those last two fatalities fell against Destania.
I don't see it.  More likely, there were two other Siar members outside the Academy, and the Dragons caught up with them.  Fa'Lina is unlikely to allow Destania to kill students within the Academy grounds and anyway, clan genocide seems to be something that touches a nerve with her.
Likely that the two survivors were Aniz and someone else inside SAIA.

kazzellin

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2009, 06:52:47 AM
Quote from: Michael Chandra on May 15, 2009, 05:55:52 AM
I don't see it.  More likely, there were two other Siar members outside the Academy, and the Dragons caught up with them.  Fa'Lina is unlikely to allow Destania to kill students within the Academy grounds and anyway, clan genocide seems to be something that touches a nerve with her.
Likely that the two survivors were Aniz and someone else inside SAIA.

Or there were four inside the Academy, and two of them suicided. I mean, they just lost their entire family in one day; that would be a massive toll on the sanity. :(

Does make me wonder who the other survivor was, though. I wonder is they're sane, or somewhere in the Academy wearing an I-love-me jacket in a padded room?

Ren Gaulen

..And the morale of this story is - don't mess with dragons. They'll destroy you and all you love. :eek

Kayriel

There's a camp on the forums who say Aniz might be Dan's father, right? The one who's locked up in stasis. Could the other Siar survivor have actually been Dan's father, in this case? Does anyone from that camp have any interesting details or possible supporting evidence?
<3 Abel

Alondro

*Charline eeps...*  Oh damn... If I'd know Hizell was the ringleader of such a horrible thing against Cubi, I never would have slept with him... at least not more than once...  maybe twice...  :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kayriel on May 15, 2009, 08:02:57 AM
There's a camp on the forums who say Aniz might be Dan's father, right? The one who's locked up in stasis. Could the other Siar survivor have actually been Dan's father, in this case? Does anyone from that camp have any interesting details or possible supporting evidence?

Touchy subject.  All I'll say on this matter is that Destania's comment in 725 about "The only reason he isn't dead" is rather intriguing.

Kayriel

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2009, 08:16:53 AM
Quote from: Kayriel on May 15, 2009, 08:02:57 AM

Touchy subject.  All I'll say on this matter is that Destania's comment in 725 about "The only reason he isn't dead" is rather intriguing.

Aww, didn't know it was touchy. Just that I feel it's interesting to see what the fans come up with.
<3 Abel

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2009, 03:18:56 AM
 I'd heard from a reliable source that clans normally top out at less than 100 members, so 2000 is astonishing.

There are names for people who talk to themselves.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Pagan

... Damn. Talk about a Total Party Kill. <shakes head> Gotta wonder what Abel's reaction will be.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Keleth

Quote from: Turnsky on May 15, 2009, 08:52:00 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2009, 03:18:56 AM
 I'd heard from a reliable source that clans normally top out at less than 100 members, so 2000 is astonishing.

There are names for people who talk to themselves.  >:3

They say it's the first sign of insanity  :B
Help! I'm gay!

Brownie

2000 to 2 in 3 days...Wow...
That's one smart Dragon.

Jairus

Quote from: The1Kobra on May 15, 2009, 06:48:57 AM
Hizell had allies... It makes me wonder if there were non-dragon or cubi participants in their war? I take it that there aren't many dragons, and if so, getting together an army of dragons would be a slim possibility. I wonder who those other participants were, if they weren't dragons, as I can certainly see it that the actions of Clan Siar were such a blight that they had racked up a large host of enemies that would be willing to ally with a dragon. Plus, I kind of get the impression dragons don't work together easily either, large powerful, and fragile egos tend not to mix.
Well, the clans used to have enemies: I can see Hizell approaching Siar's old enemies and given them the chance to wipe the clan out. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" mentality and all that.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Caswin

Quote from: Kipiru on May 15, 2009, 05:24:48 AM
You won't see me shed tears for Siar(didn't like the bastards from the start), but seeing Fa'lina so sad(top panel) touches something in me enough to wish things had gone differently. Damn Siar!
We do have word that at least some of them were decent people. (Probably more so than Fa'Lina.)

Show of hands: Who else wants to hear the Boring History? :peace
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.