02/16/09 [DMFA #973] - piddle self and run

Started by Lisky, February 15, 2009, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisky

apparently dan is still pissed about six years ago...

*EDIT*
Fixed thread format
-TW

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Jairus

Dan is frightening in that fourth panel.

So, Dan was about 18 or so when he and Regina met? And Regina doesn't seem to think he could have learned much in six years: is that a normal Demonic mindset? Oh, Regina is in trouble

PS: Darn, you were faster than me.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

senrath

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 10:53:43 PM
Dan is frightening in that fourth panel.

So, Dan was about 18 or so when he and Regina met? And Regina doesn't seem to think he could have learned much in six years: is that a normal Demonic mindset? Oh, Regina is in trouble

PS: Darn, you were faster than me.
She's most likely been thinking that he was a being, not a creature.

Also, the comic becomes 100x funnier when you're listening to the video game webcast at the same time as reading it.  Mostly because of their reactions to it.

Jairus

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I meant: she thought he was a normal winged being.

But still, six years? He could have learned a whole style of combat in that time, studied magic, learned anti-demon tactics... a lot of stuff.

Janus Whitefurr

Angry Dan! :cvheart :cvheart :cvheart  :love2

Hee hee hee~
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

senrath

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 10:57:29 PM
Well, yeah, that's kind of what I meant: she thought he was a normal winged being.

But still, six years? He could have learned a whole style of combat in that time, studied magic, learned anti-demon tactics... a lot of stuff.
She's also probably basing her judgment on what she has managed to accomplish.

And yes, Angry Dan is awesome.

Cvstos

DAMN. That... that managed to frighten me! I suppose it's because I never thought of Dan as scary. But... DAMN. That... SCARY! Especially that "I learned to hear thoughts" part! So freaking scary when you know you can't THINK of a response because the enemy will hear it!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Lisky

i wonder how badass dan is going to get when he actually starts to fight, rather than just intimidate as he is now...

poor regina... what can of worms have you opened  >:3

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

LionHeart

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 10:57:29 PM

To someone with a Demon's lifespan, six years probably isn't a lot of time.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Janus Whitefurr

And, despite the fact I absolutely love the fact that Dan is full of anger and still looks frighteningly competent, my actual suspicion is that this may turn into one of those "give in to the dark side" style moments where he realises that he looks like a monster to her.

Whether he cares because it's a person who killed his friends is another thing entirely.

Now, back to swooning over shirtless angryDan~  :love2
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

AndersW

I have to ask, what is the webcast game thing that Amber mentioned in her rant.

And my response to the comic.   :U :erk :boogie :eager

Jairus

Quote from: AndersW on February 15, 2009, 11:15:32 PM

This one.

And I never understood that "if you kill him, you will be just like him" trope. Dan is fully justified in killing Regina for murdering innocent beings and planning to kill more, whereas Dan only kills when he has to. And write now, I can't think very clearly for some reason, so I'll have to come back to this in a bit.

Noone

Not only that, Regina attacked him first, so he is fully justified as far as self defense goes. Plus he can hear her planning to kill him in her thoughts, so I would think he has 'the right' to chase her around. I'm not however, sure if he could, I would think Kria would intervene if either got in a position to do something like that to the other. Kria doesn't seem to care for Regina as much as she does for Lorenda, but still...

I'd also love to see what would happen if Lorenda saw Dan and Regina fighting...

Sukasa

I notice that Dan's headwings seem to have appeared since the last time we saw him, too.

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Sukasa on February 15, 2009, 11:22:27 PM
I notice that Dan's headwings seem to have appeared since the last time we saw him, too.

As have his tentacles and it looks suspiciously like he's even extended his claws for some old school catfighting.

Cogidubnus

I unfortunately remember hearing that a full-grown demon would be able to beat a full-grown Cubi mano-a-mano. It remains to be seen if Regina is such a demon, however.

That said, this did not stop this comic from garnering a fanboyish squee. :3

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:18:43 PM
Quote from: AndersW on February 15, 2009, 11:15:32 PM

This one.

And I never understood that "if you kill him, you will be just like him" trope. Dan is fully justified in killing Regina for murdering innocent beings and planning to kill more, whereas Dan only kills when he has to. And write now, I can't think very clearly for some reason, so I'll have to come back to this in a bit.

Killing is too addicting, regardless of who your victim is--once you've crossed the line and taken another life, it becomes like a drug, and you have to do it again.

And again.

And again.

And eventually you'll come to lower your standards for who can die and who must live, just so that you can have prey....

At any rate, that was a real WOW-zer of a comic (yeah, I know, lame word, but it's all I can think of right now)!   :erk  I guess Dan's going to have no choice but to come to terms with his cubi heritage now (at least somewhat).  Makes me wonder, though, how he'll act when this is over and he's able to calm down and look back over it rationally....

And it's great to finally see Regina that way....  ;)

LionHeart

Quote from: Cogidubnus on February 15, 2009, 11:37:37 PM
I unfortunately remember hearing that a full-grown demon would be able to beat a full-grown Cubi mano-a-mano. It remains to be seen if Regina is such a demon, however.

I think that Regina is probably not fully-grown.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Jairus

Offhand, since Dan is also a trained and skilled adventurer and Regina is a spoiled demon who doesn't seem to believe that a being can get better in just six years, I'd say Dan has the advantage.

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 11:39:00 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:18:43 PM

Killing is too addicting, regardless of who your victim is--once you've crossed the line and taken another life, it becomes like a drug, and you have to do it again.

And again.

And again.

And eventually you'll come to lower your standards for who can die and who must live, just so that you can have prey....
Um... wow. That's just disturbing. Call me an optimist, but I really think that while killing might get easier, only someone who has problems would actually start enjoying it. Dan doesn't seem to enjoy killing Dark Pegasus: he did it because he had to. In this case, he'd enjoy hurting Regina because she hurt his friends: this is payback. Dan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to become a murderer. At least, Dan right now.

Noone

Quote from: LionHeart on February 15, 2009, 11:41:55 PM

I think that Regina is probably not fully-grown.
Plus, Dan has his adventurer's skills to fall back on. Even if he didn't have his Cubi abilities, I'm sure he could hurt her by picking up one of his swords and smashing her with it. He was able to beat Dark Pegasus without actively using his Cubi abilities, and I don't think Regina is as powerful as Dark Pegasus.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:43:24 PM
Um... wow. That's just disturbing. Call me an optimist, but I really think that while killing might get easier, only someone who has problems would actually start enjoying it. Dan doesn't seem to enjoy killing Dark Pegasus: he did it because he had to. In this case, he'd enjoy hurting Regina because she hurt his friends: this is payback. Dan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to become a murderer. At least, Dan right now.

And tell me, when he looks back on it afterwards, when he sees how he used his cubi skills to instill fear and terror in his opponent, and may or may not use said skills in combat... what's he going to think of himself and his heritage? Useful? Or will he simply worry more about what 'monsters' cubi can be?

Jairus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 15, 2009, 11:46:15 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:43:24 PM

And tell me, when he looks back on it afterwards, when he sees how he used his cubi skills to instill fear and terror in his opponent, and may or may not use said skills in combat... what's he going to think of himself and his heritage? Useful? Or will he simply worry more about what 'monsters' cubi can be?
Probably worry about becoming a monster. Which will in all likelihood, keep him from taking that step.

I'm not saying he SHOULD kill Regina: spoiled demons are hard to come by. I'm not even saying he will. I'm saying that if he did, Dan wouldn't immediately snap and turn into Dark Cyra or something like that.

Arcblade

Aw...  I feel bad for Dan.  He looks so angry.  I'm kind of hoping he doesn't kill Regina, so maybe if she runs really fast.  

Also:  standard demon might beat standard Cubi, but Dan is not standard cubi.  He's had lots of adventurer experience as well as very, very minor Cubi training.  Fair match?  Maybe, but I'm betting on Dan.  

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:48:53 PM
Probably worry about becoming a monster. Which will in all likelihood, keep him from taking that step.

I'm not saying he SHOULD kill Regina: spoiled demons are hard to come by. I'm not even saying he will. I'm saying that if he did, Dan wouldn't immediately snap and turn into Dark Cyra or something like that.

Which was actually my original point. It's not that he will or won't kill Regina, it's that he's going to realise he looks just as monstrous as 'all the other cubi' out there that he's scared of becoming. And that's what stops him from killing Regina. As much as we probably want to see her get smacked around, his fear of becoming 'evil' like that is, as you said, what will probably stop him from taking that lethal step.

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 15, 2009, 11:46:15 PMOr will he simply worry more about what 'monsters' cubi can be?

Let's hope that's not the case. Angry, shirtless Dan scaring the bejeezerz out of Regina makes me squee with delight.

Probably because I'm such a sucker for powerlevels ever-so-suddenly flaring over 9000, and dramatic displays of UNSTOPPABLE POWAAR!

Offhand, I'm contemplating making that scared!Regina face into an avatar.
Or a wallpaper for myself. That'd be epic.
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Jairus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 15, 2009, 11:52:16 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 15, 2009, 11:48:53 PM

Which was actually my original point. It's not that he will or won't kill Regina, it's that he's going to realise he looks just as monstrous as 'all the other cubi' out there that he's scared of becoming. And that's what stops him from killing Regina. As much as we probably want to see her get smacked around, his fear of becoming 'evil' like that is, as you said, what will probably stop him from taking that lethal step.
Good point. Though I'll say that it might be more that Dan is afraid of becoming a monster to get his revenge rather than the revenge itself. I think.

Angel

Quote from: Cvstos on February 15, 2009, 11:02:00 PM
DAMN. That... that managed to frighten me! I suppose it's because I never thought of Dan as scary. But... DAMN. That... SCARY! Especially that "I learned to hear thoughts" part! So freaking scary when you know you can't THINK of a response because the enemy will hear it!

Seconded.

This is an awesome comic. In so many ways. Love. Yay, Amber.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Hellcat

e_voyager

Dan Aaryanna would be proud! I'm not sure about you mom as you have yet to inflict pain to match the fear you've inspired in that poor undead demon girl.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Jairus

Quote from: e_voyager on February 16, 2009, 12:06:01 AM
Dan Aaryanna would be proud! I'm not sure about you mom as you have yet to inflict pain to match the fear you've inspired in that poor undead demon girl.
Regina is not undead. She is a normal demon, who has chosen not to regenerate her wing.