01/22/09 [DMFA #965] - Umm… wow…

Started by Jairus, January 22, 2009, 01:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Um... wow. Just... wow.

*facepalm* I am such an idiot. She was there. Kria was there, and she saw Devin. Dangit, I can't believe I forgot that. Okay, let's see... prosthetic torso and upper arms: from what I can see, just the head and forearms are biological. Why? I mean, Kria might have felt guilty about it... but why revive him as a cyborg? Why keep him around? Is it really Devin? And will Abel find out? Dang, Amber, you are good at doing this to us.

As for the immigration paperwork, I'm sure you'll do fine. And I'm sure that guard meant it would only take a week if you had all of your paperwork already... so he was probably crazy.

EDIT: She did say...

QuoteAnd after years of slow updates and planning and prepping, the two characters I had meant to add since the start of the initial side-story war finally make their debuts. Took me long enough.

I wonder if that means that Devin was added to Abel's Story, or if we were going to learn about RoboDevin through Abel's backstory eventually... hm. Interesting. We'll have to see where this goes.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Kamunt

All I can say.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Well maybe I can say a little more. Cyborgs would have to be pretty advanced technology, especially for Demons and the like. It would take someone with Jy-Squeak's level of intelligence to craft something so technologically phat. Thus far, there hasn't been much of an indication past his giant mechas and patches that he'd be engaged in limb-replacement activities for people who died 300 years ago...but thus far, Regina hasn't been in the comic. So hey, qué será será.

senrath

Y'know, looking back at Abel's Story, Kria is seen leaning over Devin's body here.

As for why cyborg?  It could be that his body was too damaged to be healed/repaired.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go lie down for a minute.

Hellcat

he was probably the first undead...
maybe the person kria was doing demon training with was her brother and well he DID more or less create the undead

Gamma

*gears grinding to a halt*   :O

Devin is back in action and snarky as ever, possibly more so.
Still, may not be quite the Devin we know of.

I'll bet DP was Kria's instructor, boss, the day Devin was first killed, then as an experiment he got reanimated. But that is quite the safe bet, he is standing there after all :B
(Ding! Hellkat beat me to it, barely!)

PS, I wonder what will happen when Dan sees Regina?!?
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Jairus

Actually, I have one more thing to say.

Amber is officially a genius storyteller. She is amazing to have set all of this up and planned it all so well, and to be able to completely blindside us so well and so often. I bow in respect to her, and wish to someday measure up to her. That is all.

Ganurath

I actually hypothesize that the creation of the undead was an attempt on the part of Dark Pegasus to one-up his sister. It's not so much that his experiment didn't go as planned that disappoints him, it's that he lost to his little sister.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm almost more surprised that the technology exists to let Devin live on as a cyborg than that Kria would opt to keep him around.

Although, I just checked a niggling suspicion that he'd be added to the cast page. A deader huh? Although that probably doesn't mean cyborg, but some sort of exposed, gold plated bone. Or maybe it's a reconstructed prostetic.

Something seems different about his face, but I can't quite place it (need sleep) maybe it's just the stupid brain overreacting to the new eye color and insisting that the rest of the face altered as well.

No surprise that Fi found the kitchen. Mildly surprising that he hasn't already broken into the alcohol, although Devin might have tried to stop him......

Do we know from anywhere how "fresh" a body has to be to be made undead? How long can they stay under the ground before they decay too badly to be reanimated? If Devin is listed as the fifth oldest undead, than that helps pin down when good old Aliph created them in the first place.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

senrath

Quote from: Kamunt on January 22, 2009, 02:01:33 AM
Quote from: Gamma on January 22, 2009, 01:57:40 AM
reanimated.
At the risk of getting sucker-punch'd... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IlE-Zu55KoA
Heh, I was just listening to that.  After reading the webpage title for today, I just had to break out that song.

Madmann135

A bunch of you all are forgetting that Amber said that some undead remove their decaying flesh and replace it with metal.  Kira is "Dark Pegasus" sibling and she does appear to have knowledge of Dark Pegasus's studies. 
Reanimating Devin in my opinion would not be that difficult of a task to someone with talents I believe Kira has access to.

In short that could just be a simple undead with some of his marred flesh removed for gold implants.
He even has the black and yellow undead eyes.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Hmm. I went back and checked This strip. And while I could very easily be wrong, I don't see anything hitting Devin in the upper arms. The cast page confirms that his upper arms were damaged in an "incident" which doesn't seem to be the fight that killed him. I'm interested in knowing what it was.

I'm also rooting for Fi to panic for some reason and summon Abel  :mwaha
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Gamma

Thanks for the heads up on Devin's cast page, didn't even think about it!

Quote from: Devin's Cast PageDon't make me slap you from over here, I can likely reach you.
I get an image of Devin putting a hand on the his shoulder, detaching it and backhanding someone with the disembodied hand :rofl
I'm thinking Dan.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Jairus

Oh wow... Devin might not even remember Abel. And might not even be the "real" Devin. Now I really sense Abel's backstory coming to light for the rest of the cast. But a lot of interesting stuff on the cast page. Very interesting. *goes back to reading*

Baal Hadad

I actually joined up here specifically for this current update (I've done an introductory post in The Villa which explains a little bit about who I am), although I've loved DMFA for months now.

Wow.

I cannot believe I didn't see any of this coming, and I LOVE how Devin's appearance here fits together all the random pieces of the story: Kria hovering over Devin in Abel's Story (which I didn't pay as much attention to as I should have--I'm usually more perceptive than that), Aliph/Dark Pegasus being the creator of the undead race AND Kria's brother (both of which were introduced in this very chapter!), it's just so amazing!

I honestly consider this development to be on the level of Dan's finding out he was an incubus back in Chapter 14.  It makes me excited to know where the story is going to go from here, and it makes my awe of Amber's talent (already impressive) rise through the roof!  Well done, Amber Williams!

Incidentally, I'm not about to request this but it's something that occurred to me awhile back, and this only confirms it: IF Amber were to do another "backstory" comic, I would personally think Kria Soulstealer would be the most interesting character who appears in both DMFA and Abel's Story to have her backstory covered.

Slowtini

Chaos

I have submitted a request to Amber for a "Plot-twist" image for the forum. I think we need it as much as we need the :shapeshifters and the :tohell

Oh... yes. Amber?

:tohell

Enjoy the ride.

Jairus

Quote from: Chaos on January 22, 2009, 03:34:45 AM
I have submitted a request to Amber for a "Plot-twist" image for the forum. I think we need it as much as we need the :shapeshifters and the :tohell

Oh... yes. Amber?

:tohell

Enjoy the ride.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Gamma on January 22, 2009, 02:14:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Devin's cast page, didn't even think about it!

Quote from: Devin's Cast PageDon't make me slap you from over here, I can likely reach you.
I get an image of Devin putting a hand on the his shoulder, detaching it and backhanding someone with the disembodied hand :rofl
I'm thinking Dan.

If he'd hold onto his hand and hit with the shoulder end, he'd avoid damaging his flesh further with the impact, and it would make a more effective club.
Wouldn't his first appearance be in Abel's Story, not main strip #965? Or is that reference differentiating the undead Devin from the old living Devin?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Kipiru

"She just hasn't been the same ever since scientist discovered that she wasn't in fact the center of the universe."- I dropped down at that one, got to remember it for further usage! Oh, yah- Devin's back, good for him!

Tapewolf

Good stuff.  I'm now thinking that DP was Kria's instructor.

**EDIT**
And I hope Rabid is still up for Devin because it looks like we'll need him  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 22, 2009, 02:03:21 AMSomething seems different about his face, but I can't quite place it (need sleep) maybe it's just the stupid brain overreacting to the new eye color and insisting that the rest of the face altered as well.

Yeah, it's probably the Bezold Effect.

In any case, Abel's sure to find out about Devin, so this should prove to be the sort of thing that unsettles Abel.  Unless he already knows about it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Anri

Scribbleykins

Amber? Wow. I mean it. I can't get over how well you manage to pull these twists off. Allow me to gush my train of thought today.

"Wait...That guy seems familiar. Devin? What the heck. No wait, UNDEAD DEVIN? ARGH! AND THIS NEW CAST PAGE! IT TELLS ME EVERYTHING! THIS IS A NEW DEVIN AND HE DOESN'T REMEMBER HIS OLD "PAL" ABEL! THE NEW DEVIN IS LIKE A SON TO KRIA! KRIA WAS DP'S SISTER, AND DP MADE THE UNDEAD, AND KRIA WAS THERE WHEN OLD DEVIN DIED! JEEBUZ EIGHT CRIPES THE UNSEEN HINTS THE RAMIFICATIONS THE IMPLICATIONS THE PLOT OH GOODNESS THE EVER-EXPANDING PLOT!"

It sort of unravelled from there, and I later came to with a handy-dandy speculative flowchart of additional hidden DMFA character relations clutched in my hands. It is written in shaky near-unreadable script, with occult drawings and signs adorning the borders that makes me uneasy with their...Uh, whuh, what was I talking about? Oh, Drevin. Yeah, way cool twist that.

Anyway, much kudos to your foreshadowing and plot-crafting (and tying-together) skills. Thank you for making my otherwise plain day way more awesome.

TheDXM

I'm glad to see Devin is more or less alive. I wonder if his memories are still intact. If so, I suspect that Abel has a surprise coming in Abel's story at some point.

That said, what an awesome and beautiful plot twist! Although it is a standard "Some guy we thought was dead is now alive again." at least there are easy indentifiable reasons for it, and it's very likely that there is more to this than meets the eye, leaving me wondering not so much HOW Devin is now alive again, but WHY.

Tapewolf

Quote from: The DXM on January 22, 2009, 05:07:35 AM
I'm glad to see Devin is more or less alive. I wonder if his memories are still intact. If so, I suspect that Abel has a surprise coming in Abel's story at some point.
If you haven't done so, read the cast page.  By the looks, he probably doesn't have the same soul as before.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 22, 2009, 05:10:29 AMIf you haven't done so, read the cast page.  By the looks, he probably doesn't have the same soul as before.

Huh.  Looks like he didn't marry into the name.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

RyuuYareYare

Hey is just found his profile.

http://missmab.com/Cast/devin.php

amber is a smart lady.
she thinks of evrything. :kirby

Lucheek

-blindsided-

Holy crap.

Amber, you are just too good for us...

M

Haha, oh wow. My jaw actually dropped when I saw Devin. Best plot twist ever.