01/19/09 [DMFA #964] - Bitter fruit tends to make for crazy sundaes

Started by Jairus, January 18, 2009, 10:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

It seems like Regina sees Kria in a slightly different light than Lorenda. I find that ice cream tends to dispel a bad mood, however.

And again, keep at it, Amber. You can do it!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Angel

(dances for Amber ... and for the chibitastic third panel)

I gotta say, I don't much care for Regina's personality, but she seems like a really fun character. I wonder, though, if Kria really would be like that if she had Regina as a daughter?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

VSMIT

Well...  Kria wouldn't have a conscience, that's for sure.

!KCA

Ice cream. . .actually ranks as one of the most complex substances ever created. Is it another one of those things magic users can't just have any time they want because of magic/tech interference?

Lisky

... that's freaking awesome, especially the ice cream part... I've actually witnessed someone do something very similar only instead of wanting the attention of a relative, it was a neighbor... but the craving was the same "i've got the sudden urge to kill him... but first, ICE CREAM!!!"

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

superluser

Huh.  So I wonder why Regina seems to get the short end of the stick.

Also, I wonder why she stays around to take it.  At 23, I'm sure an average creature could get some pretty decent work as a bouncer.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cogidubnus

There is something sublime in the subtitle text for this one. I think I might have to borrow the phrase.

GabrielsThoughts

I dunno, Regina seems to be creating this in her mind. She appears closed minded and seems to have a limited world view... while everyone is the most important person in their universe Regina doesn't want to accept this responsibility, as it appears her world is focused on others. She plays the role of a victim and wonders why no one loves her...

of course this is purely speculative since I have no formal psychology training and have yet to have any psychological therapy to gauge whether this analysis is valid...my college psych 101 and communication classes have covered self identity and presenting self and I'm fairly certain this covers my educated guess.

Everybody pity party.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Wanderer

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on January 19, 2009, 12:14:41 AM
I dunno, Regina seems to be creating this in her mind. She appears closed minded and seems to have a limited world view... while everyone is the most important person in their universe Regina doesn't want to accept this responsibility, as it appears her world is focused on others. She plays the role of a victim and wonders why no one loves her...
Remember though, that's an easy thing to do when you're in a bad mood, and all the more so when you feel you have someone you can blame it on. "Why does everything bad always happen to me? Why does she always get everything good? Grumble grumble." I think it's slightly early days so far to judge her.

Corgatha Taldorthar

One wonders how much her fascination with Kria would continue should the Demon-mare actually be her mother. The grass is always greener and all that. We all remember Kria's reaction to Lorenda's scream, and while granted we haven't seen too much of Regina so far, I can't see her reacting even as gracefully as Lorenda did to that sort of parental overprotection.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Kipiru

Hmm, since I sympathize with Lorenda, Regina seems to me...oh heck, I hate that pink haired harpy- I think she is going to be one dark egoistical character. No ice cream for her!

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 19, 2009, 12:45:31 AM
One wonders how much her fascination with Kria would continue should the Demon-mare actually be her mother. The grass is always greener and all that. We all remember Kria's reaction to Lorenda's scream, and while granted we haven't seen too much of Regina so far, I can't see her reacting even as gracefully as Lorenda did to that sort of parental overprotection.
To be fair, though, Kria would've chosen "Kill things" instead of going to the mall if Regina were her daughter in order to cheer her up, so the incident at the store wouldn't have happened.

Aleolus

:erk :erk :erk  Wait a minute, Regina and Lorenda are cousins??  I did NOT see that one coming!

Lowde

Quote from: Aleolus on January 19, 2009, 02:47:29 AM
:erk :erk :erk  Wait a minute, Regina and Lorenda are cousins??  I did NOT see that one coming!

You mean you haven't checked the new mega super actuallized Regina cast page!? Shame on you!!

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jairus on January 18, 2009, 10:34:50 PM
It seems like Regina sees Kria in a slightly different light than Lorenda. I find that ice cream tends to dispel a bad mood, however.
Only when had. When withheld, it can enhance the bad mood. :mowwink

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 5  "Turkish" (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Roureem Egas

Quote from: superluser on January 18, 2009, 11:41:29 PM
Huh.  So I wonder why Regina seems to get the short end of the stick.

Also, I wonder why she stays around to take it.  At 23, I'm sure an average creature could get some pretty decent work as a bouncer.

Maybe she really admires Kria. The only other possible idea I have off the top of my head on why she might stick around through it all is that nobody else would hire someone who looks like a perky goth.

Not that she looks all that perky right now. :I

joshofspam

Yes but what flavor would a demon like for a ice dream.

I  was thinking something disturbing and while the other half is tasty, something like vanilla with blood swirl with cookie dough or brownie chunks.

Sounds like your almost there Mab. Heres hoping you all get to go home soon. :zombiekun2 :zombiekun2 :januscat
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Lucheek

I hope I wasn't the only one who did this:

Kria: What would you like to do today, dear?

MyBrain: TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

rt

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

senrath

Quote from: Lucheek on January 19, 2009, 11:19:43 AM
I hope I wasn't the only one who did this:

Kria: What would you like to do today, dear?

MyBrain: TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

You're not the only one to do that.  Except that I also included the line "The same thing we do every day."

Grey Wolf

Eghn. I can sympathize. Remember the Demon race's mindset, and that for her species, she's very (and I mean very) young. Also, her parents apparently tossed her out. The lack of parental support (and possible feeling of rejection) may have caused her to seek affection elsewhere. Namely Kria *shudder* She is most likely jealous of Lorenda because she has a parent who loves her and she doesn't seem to appreciate that.

Lorenda getting Kria's love and attention, but being annoyed by it (at this time) + Regina wanting Kria's love and attention, but not getting it (at this time) = Jealousy and anger.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Grey Wolf on January 20, 2009, 02:50:06 PM
Eghn. I can sympathize. Remember the Demon race's mindset, and that for her species, she's very (and I mean very) young. Also, her parents apparently tossed her out. The lack of parental support (and possible feeling of rejection) may have caused her to seek affection elsewhere. Namely Kria *shudder* She is most likely jealous of Lorenda because she has a parent who loves her and she doesn't seem to appreciate that.

Lorenda getting Kria's love and attention, but being annoyed by it (at this time) + Regina wanting Kria's love and attention, but not getting it (at this time) = Jealousy and anger.

The flip side of this is that from what I understand of Kria's personality, she wouldn't like or admire anyone who openly sought her approval. Possibly going back to that "Demon's respect strength" mindset, I think one of the bedrocks of Kria's relationship to her daughter is Lorenda's stubborn disapproval of 99% of the stuff that Kria does. Someone who thinks so like her, as well as being younger, weaker, less experienced, and really less deep would probably earn Kria's contempt. In fact, she probably has Kria's contempt now, but rationalizes it by "I'm not really her daughter" and similar sentiments.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 20, 2009, 02:56:25 PM
The flip side of this is that from what I understand of Kria's personality, she wouldn't like or admire anyone who openly sought her approval. Possibly going back to that "Demon's respect strength" mindset, I think one of the bedrocks of Kria's relationship to her daughter is Lorenda's stubborn disapproval of 99% of the stuff that Kria does. Someone who thinks so like her, as well as being younger, weaker, less experienced, and really less deep would probably earn Kria's contempt. In fact, she probably has Kria's contempt now, but rationalizes it by "I'm not really her daughter" and similar sentiments.

I dunno. I think Kria would like to have an apprentice. We also don't know that Regina is forward about her feelings, maybe even for the sheer fact it may be perceived as a weakness.
I mean, how many kids do you know that straight-up go to their parental figure and say, 'Jenny gets more attention than I do! You love her more than me!' ? Generally, they just torment the "favorite".

Also, why do so many people seem to dislike/hate her or brush her aside as shallow/bratty? We've known Regina for all of two strips. We don't know much about her, save her fantasies (which are just fantasies). She's done nothing to earn my ire.
And on top of that, Lorenda was the one being mean (even if out of anger)... Not that I don't like Lorenda, too.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Grey Wolf on January 20, 2009, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 20, 2009, 02:56:25 PM

I dunno. I think Kria would like to have an apprentice. We also don't know that Regina is forward about her feelings, maybe even for the sheer fact it may be perceived as a weakness.
I mean, how many kids do you know that straight-up go to their parental figure and say, 'Jenny gets more attention than I do! You love her more than me!' ? Generally, they just torment the "favorite".

Also, why do so many people seem to dislike/hate her or brush her aside as shallow/bratty? We've known Regina for all of two strips. We don't know much about her, save her fantasies (which are just fantasies). She's done nothing to earn my ire.
And on top of that, Lorenda was the one being mean (even if out of anger)... Not that I don't like Lorenda, too.

Probably because of this line in the cast page
QuoteSelf-absorbed and petty, Regina particularly enjoys toying with others and often views everyone else as simply a means to entertain her or something to be used.
It's hardly a flattering one.

inuhanyo

Why are people down on Regina?   Let's see, her first appearance is in a panel where Dan is reviewing reasons why he's unhappy about being a cubi, and her hands are bloodstained almost up to her elbows.  We now can infer from Regin's updated cast page that the blood is Wildy's.

The Context makes it clear that Regina is not someone Dan would care to date.

As for why Regina is working for Kira, well, lets start with her cast page:

Quote... After a particularly nasty incident, it was decided Regina should likely move in with her second-aunt in order to possibly gain some wisdom from a more experienced demon. That and to lay low for a few years while until the incident cooled off. ...

Now the only event we know about is that Regina almost killed Wildy.  This sort of thing would not normally be an issue for Creatures, but Wildy is a childhood friend of Daniel Ti'fiona.  Who has slain Aliph (Dark Pegasus) Soulstealer.  Several times.  I think that would make Regina's family wary, and Regina has been sent to Kira's to lie low and not draw Dan's attention.

Naldru

It's not just that Wildy is a childhood friend of Dan's.  (Who seems to have quite a punch.)

She is also Biggs's sister.  Biggs and Wildy may fight, but I have a feeling that they feel that they are the only ones allowed to go after each other.  Biggs is leader of the Twinks, and the Twinks are not known for playing nice.

She is friends with Jyrras, who has developed a number of interesting farming and mining implements.

Destania has been a friend of her family for generations.

Regina seems like the kind of person who would collect vendettas the way some people collect stamps.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: inuhanyo on January 20, 2009, 11:41:43 PM
Now the only event we know about is that Regina almost killed Wildy.  This sort of thing would not normally be an issue for Creatures, but Wildy is a childhood friend of Daniel Ti'fiona.  Who has slain Aliph (Dark Pegasus) Soulstealer.  Several times.  I think that would make Regina's family wary, and Regina has been sent to Kira's to lie low and not draw Dan's attention.

Dan has defeated DP (or stopped his plans anyway) at least three times, killed him two that we know of (so far).
As for Regina and Wildy, we don't know yet that Wildy didn't at the same time almost kill Regina before whatever happened to stop the fight.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lego3400

The Regina in her own imagination reminds me of Etna from Disgaea.