12/31/08 [DMFA #960] - Alternate forms of Payment

Started by Madmann135, December 31, 2008, 03:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmann135

random1 - Probably one  of the few times Dan turns down an advance.
random2 - ...Kira looks devilishly attractive or is an attractive Devil.  I can't decide.

Mad is guessing that Kira is 'selling out' her brother for his own good.  She did say every time she resurrected him, he appeared not to be all there.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Gamma

"Random 2" They never have to be mutually exclusive.  >:]

It is sad that we will probably not be seeing DP again, except in a flashback. But I wouldn't want him removed far from himself.

I just hope someone else doesn't get to his body before Dan.  I can imagine his reaction now, "Are we playing corpse keep away or something?!"
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

LionHeart

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 31, 2008, 03:35:16 AM
random2 - ...Kira looks devilishly attractive or is an attractive Devil.  I can't decide.
Could be both. She is a Demon, after all... :P
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

Is Fi asleep on the floor?

Quote from: Gamma on December 31, 2008, 03:51:27 AM
It is sad that we will probably not be seeing DP again, except in a flashback. But I wouldn't want him removed far from himself.
Indeed.  It's probably better for his spiritual wellbeing this way.  Assuming of course that Dan isn't somehow prevented from cremating the body.

**EDIT**
Did anyone else read Kria's stripes as a sort of swish with the word"ZIIM" written on them?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Hellcat

*in a narrator voice* Hey everyone, see if you can spot the Fi in this picture

senrath

Quote from: Hellcat on December 31, 2008, 04:44:09 AM
*in a narrator voice* Hey everyone, see if you can spot the Fi in this picture
[excitedvoice]Ooo, ooo, behind the leg of the couch, right?[/excitedvoice]

Also, I'm wondering if Dan would refuse Kria's advance if he didn't know she was Lorenda's mom.

TheDXM

Daniel doesn't know a good offer when he sees it, I guess.

King Of Hearts

*crosses his fingers that Dan doesnt have the casha nd will end up doing shirtless yardwrok for a year.*

superluser

So I take it Kria's not Dan's perfect date?

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2008, 04:32:48 AMDid anyone else read Kria's stripes as a sort of swish with the word"ZIIM" written on them?

I see what you're saying, but I doubt it's intentional.

That said, I'd be dying of laughter if there ever were a NINA hidden in one of Amber's drawings.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gamma on December 31, 2008, 03:51:27 AM

You're presuming that Dan has enough cash.

"I mean, crap, this looks more like... a ... telephone number. Oh."
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Akisohida

Wow, poor Dan just can't get a break. Though Kria does act like a fun one to make up dialogue for.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2008, 08:32:43 AM
He seems to be fairly well-off.  Sword collection, loot, presumably some kind of reward for the 'Warrior for Hire' episode...

Daymond42

"I mean, crap, this looks more like... a ... telephone number. Oh."

You think he'd fall for that again?

... oh wait... this -is- Dan we're talking about.

Ghostwish

Mao

If Dan did fall for that again... I wonder how Ma~ would take it.

Alondro

There is no honor among thieves... or demons.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on December 31, 2008, 09:39:21 AM
Fortunately Dan is also a demon, in the general sense.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2008, 09:07:55 AM
He seems to be fairly well-off.  Sword collection, loot, presumably some kind of reward for the 'Warrior for Hire' episode...

You presume he hasn't a) drunk the lot, or b) spent it all on pointies.

Specifically, he needs the liquid assets. Swords aren't very liquid - although I'll grant you pointing one at someone's throat will likely get you some spare change...

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2008, 09:40:44 AM
Quote from: Alondro on December 31, 2008, 09:39:21 AM
Fortunately Dan is also a demon, in the general sense.

Yes but he fights that aspect and seems to rely on adventurer's honor and camaraderie.  That generally comes with a set of laws of governance based on class stereotypes (i.e. don't trust the thief, the cleric is a paragon of justice, the fighter is an honorable and stalwart companion, etc.).  Just based on the few examples of adventurers you meet (such as Nitemyst's coterie).  Additionally, Dan works largely off of the tenets taught to him by Edward, which he is much more alike than Dest.  

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna link=topic=5502.msg253617#msg253617
Specifically, he needs the liquid assets. Swords aren't very liquid - although I'll grant you pointing one at someone's throat will likely get you some spare change...

Stand and deliver, or the devil he may take ya...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Noone

Well, I guess if he needs to, Dan can always pass of the bill to Biggs.

However, part of me wonders if Kria has any intention of honoring her deal. If Dan doesn't cremate DP immediately... I could see her recovering DP's body and continuing the ritual an hour after she receives her payment. It would be a win-win situation in Kria's book, and she isn't exactly the most 'lawful' denizen of Furrae either.

Tapewolf

Quote from: The1Kobra on December 31, 2008, 11:12:29 AM
However, part of me wonders if Kria has any intention of honoring her deal. If Dan doesn't cremate DP immediately... I could see her recovering DP's body and continuing the ritual an hour after she receives her payment. It would be a win-win situation in Kria's book, and she isn't exactly the most 'lawful' denizen of Furrae either.
It would then be Biggstania's problem again, since as you suggest, Dan's liable to claim the thing on expenses.
Also, if Kria does have the hots for Dan, teeing him off in that manner is an odd way of showing it.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2008, 11:20:46 AM
Quote from: The1Kobra on December 31, 2008, 11:12:29 AM
It would then be Biggstania's problem again, since as you suggest, Dan's liable to claim the thing on expenses.
Also, if Kria does have the hots for Dan, teeing him off in that manner is an odd way of showing it.

Since when has Kria been one of the more honest or stable members of the Furrae community?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Kipiru

Hmm, at times I really can't understand Dan, I would go for Kria and keep my money. Afterwards I probably won't even care about DP!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kipiru on December 31, 2008, 01:08:00 PM
Hmm, at times I really can't understand Dan, I would go for Kria and keep my money. Afterwards I probably won't even care about DP!

That's because Dan has taste... ;-]

Slowtini

So I guess this confirms that Kria's a predator first and foremost. :B

Naldru

If Kria had a reputation for not doing what she's paid for, she would have a hard time getting those assorted side jobs.  Besides, stiffing Dan would probably also offend Lorenda.

Another item is that if she didn't feel the need for keeping her word, she could probably just stop resurrecting her brother.

By the way, this link contains information on Al Hirschfeld for those who are wondering about the reference to NINA.

By the way, I could see Alexis adding a little bit to the charges for damages to the inn and placing the money in an account for Dan to use later. 

Edit:
I believe that Kria's remark was with regard to turning Dan into a stiff, not stiffing him.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Mao

Quote from: Naldru on December 31, 2008, 02:08:39 PM
..Besides, stiffing Dan would probably also offend Lorenda.

As I believe she's already expressed previously.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 31, 2008, 11:40:48 AM
Since when has Kria been one of the more honest or stable members of the Furrae community?

Stable? Yeah...Kria is not known for her resolve or lack of impulse. :U

Honesty though is another issue. It's never been fully tapped into or explained up front in comic, but most creatures are incredibly honest. As a society, its a power thing in that only the weak bother with deception and dishonesty because if they were strong, they wouldn't have to rely on underhanded tactics.  It's generally one of the reasons Cubi get such a bad rap among other Creatures...a race that tends to have disguise self as a feature tends to be considered untrustworthy and weak.  As such, when one lives in a world where many things live for hundreds if not thousands of years...and financial wealth can only get one so far...ones reputation can be the most valuable thing an individual has.  So when it comes to dishonesty, many creatures will avoid that route.

Kipiru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2008, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on December 31, 2008, 01:08:00 PM

That's because Dan has taste... ;-]

...different than mine!  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 31, 2008, 02:21:34 PM
Honesty though is another issue. It's never been fully tapped into or explained up front in comic, but most creatures are incredibly honest. As a society, its a power thing in that only the weak bother with deception and dishonesty because if they were strong, they wouldn't have to rely on underhanded tactics.  It's generally one of the reasons Cubi get such a bad rap among other Creatures...a race that tends to have disguise self as a feature tends to be considered untrustworthy and weak.  As such, when one lives in a world where many things live for hundreds if not thousands of years...and financial wealth can only get one so far...ones reputation can be the most valuable thing an individual has.  So when it comes to dishonesty, many creatures will avoid that route.

Such a situation only works when everyone agrees to work with it.

As soon as one person is dishonest, they tend to get away with murder...

Of course, there are checks and balances there that we don't see much of; the whole Adventurer business is one such, and dishonesty on such a scale is likely to bring them out of the woodwork...

But I digress.