Dan and girls-when will it happen?

Started by Kipiru, September 01, 2008, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipiru

Being the male protagonist in the DMFA, in all laws of cartoonship, Dan can't seem to score with the ladies, although he seems to have all the potential. Mab, Matilda and now the amazons- all start well, but end trailing in the unforeseeable future. When will he ever get in to a serious relationship that's not just winks and glances?  :mowdan

Jairus

Well, the story's still moving forward, so we don't know how the thing with Matilda is going to turn out yet. Or any other girls, for that matter. I can see Amber moving in that direction at some point, though.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Kipiru

True, the future is in Amber's golden hands, but it doesn't hurt to speculate a bit  :mowwink

Tycoon

Quote from: The Artist, HerselfSilly Brunhidden. We all know my characters never get to have sex.  :<

I'm guessing the answer of "When?" will be "Not a chance!"

Jairus

Quote from: Tycoon on September 01, 2008, 12:42:41 PM
Quote from: The Artist, HerselfSilly Brunhidden. We all know my characters never get to have sex.  :<

Oh darn, all of my Jyrbel (Jyrras/Abel) and Jaras (Janus Bond/Doctor Jyrras) fanfics are worthless now. ;)

In other concerns, that doesn't stop hugging or kissing or cuddling. That's more than winks and glances.

Ted Schiller

Dan has been keeping secrets from The Artist, Herself, because it has obviously already happened.   :mowtongue

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_119.php

Most likely, several times.   :mwaha

With regards,
Ted

Jairus

Quote from: Ted Schiller on September 01, 2008, 02:57:34 PM

Dan has been keeping secrets from The Artist, Herself, because it has obviously already happened.   :mowtongue

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_119.php

Most likely, several times.   :mwaha

With regards,
Ted
Well, obviously he's referring to the free ale that good looking adventurer's get in the presence of beautiful women.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Jairus on September 01, 2008, 02:59:02 PM
(snip)
Well, obviously he's referring to the free ale that good looking adventurer's get in the presence of beautiful women.

Uh-huh.  Keep telling yourself that. ::There is no proper "really evil grin" smiley to insert here.::

I was pretty different back then.
                     --Daniel Ti'Fiona

With regards,
Ted

Jairus

Quote from: Ted Schiller on September 01, 2008, 03:13:07 PM
(snip)

Uh-huh.  Keep telling yourself that. ::There is no proper "really evil grin" smiley to insert here.::

--Daniel Ti'Fiona

With regards,
Ted
And of course he was different back then: note how he's wearing a side-belt or whatever it's called rather than his magic-absorbing robe. Also, it looks like he had a different hairstyle too.

Kipiru

I think I'm not mistaken to say that bitter dissapointment awaits anyone who expects sexual intercourse in DMFA! That is not my point! I'm talking about the signs of a real and deep relationship such as kisses and loving hugs(not between family and friends). As for Dan and the alleged amazons conquered by his boyish charms, I don't think anything ever happened besides ending up drunk in an empty saloon with a killer hangover. And as for gay relationships- c'mon you can't be serious right(nothing against gay people,but Dan doesn't strike me as one).

Naldru

I just had a vision of Fa'lina checking on the alliances of all cubi (whether they know that they are cubi or not) to see if any of the offspring should be considered for acceptance to SAIA.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Destania gave Dan information on birth control.

Also, sometimes you shouldn't overthink things.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jairus on September 01, 2008, 03:15:00 PM
Quote from: Ted Schiller on September 01, 2008, 03:13:07 PM
(snip)

--Daniel Ti'Fiona

With regards,
Ted
And of course he was different back then: note how he's wearing a side-belt or whatever it's called rather than his magic-absorbing robe. Also, it looks like he had a different hairstyle too.
Maybe that's a sword belt worn bandolier style, or maybe it's the belt from his robe. As for the robe itself, he probably took it off so it doesn't get stained during heavy drinking with the 'babes'.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lucheek

I like that he hasn't had a random girlfriend yet. Seems to fit the character more. :3 Amber's got good storytelling. If your looking for romance, there is Alexsi and Pyroduck who seem like they're going to turn Romeo/Juliet (the forbidden love part...not the death-suicidy part.) And Jyrass's grand adventures with relationships.

Goatmon

I don't forsee Amber throwing a girlfriend into the mix.  It seems like if she wanted to do something like that she's had ample opportunities to do it in.

However, the Dan/Matilda spawn from months ago has gotten me very curious.  :)

Turnsky

Quote from: Goatmon on September 02, 2008, 05:16:21 AM
I don't forsee Amber throwing a girlfriend into the mix.  It seems like if she wanted to do something like that she's had ample opportunities to do it in.

no imagine Fa'Lina's reaction..

"Babies"

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Goatmon

Quote from: Turnsky on September 02, 2008, 05:23:03 AM

no imagine Fa'Lina's reaction..

"Babies"

:D

Kipiru

Curious, it got me on pins and needles (big Matilda+Dan shipper). Can't wait for Amber to get back at it.

Amber Williams

According to my sources (AKA: The stuff Fluffy lets me tell you), Dan has actually been with two ladies before the events of this comic timeframe.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 03, 2008, 12:11:08 AM
According to my sources (AKA: The stuff Fluffy lets me tell you), Dan has actually been with two ladies before the events of this comic timeframe.
Ooh... juicy trivia! You really think this stuff through... or you're making it up as you go along. Either way, it's incredible.

Um... "current" timeframe meaning from when the comic started way back when, right?

Amber Williams

I AM A CORNOCOPIA OF USELESS KNOWLEDGE. :U

Its one of my quirks in that I like to overthink inane little details about characters. Like what their favorite ice creams are (Dan likes Mint)

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 03, 2008, 12:18:45 AM
I AM A CORNOCOPIA OF USELESS KNOWLEDGE. :U

Its one of my quirks in that I like to overthink inane little details about characters. Like what their favorite ice creams are (Dan likes Mint)
Don't worry... I understand. I'm a little obsessive that way myself. I mean, it may never come up in the story that Nick and Tarn like the same kind of soda (orange), but it helps me understand them as characters a little more. And it also gives me lots of stuff to play with should the circumstance to use something random comes up...

EDIT: Um, you're probably not going to see this, but was one of those two girls Regina?

Amber Williams

Quote from: Jairus on September 03, 2008, 12:21:42 AM
EDIT: Um, you're probably not going to see this, but was one of those two girls Regina?

Nope. :3
Neither girl has been shown in the comic.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 03, 2008, 01:05:34 AM
Quote from: Jairus on September 03, 2008, 12:21:42 AM

Nope. :3
Neither girl has been shown in the comic.
Darn. That would have just made Pagan's day.

I take it both of these are fairly minor characters. Unless that's what you want us to think...

Amber Williams

Very minor. They exist mainly in Dan's background building. One was a young love Dan had when he was still in adventuring school. The other was an older lady who Dan worked alongside with on a few adventures.  And while Dan remembers them both fondly, in both cases the relationship just didn't pan out and both parties moved on with their lives afterwards.  The girl works in a cakeshop somewhere and the older lady likely still adventures with another group.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 03, 2008, 01:16:19 AM
Very minor. They exist mainly in Dan's background building. One was a young love Dan had when he was still in adventuring school. The other was an older lady who Dan worked alongside with on a few adventures.  And while Dan remembers them both fondly, in both cases the relationship just didn't pan out and both parties moved on with their lives afterwards.  The girl works in a cakeshop somewhere and the older lady likely still adventures with another group.
That's actually very interesting, Amber. Very cool indeed.

I take it back: you are the superior in the creation of backgrounds. :bow

Netrogo

I picked the best time to come back to the forums. All kinds of trivial knowledge about Dan's past for the win!
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Kipiru

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 03, 2008, 12:11:08 AM

Well that puts a giant smelly sock in my mouth on the topic of Dan's... experience. I'm happy for Dan though and still think that we could see a bit more of that action only Fluffy knows of.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Naldru on September 01, 2008, 07:03:06 PM
Also, sometimes you shouldn't overthink things.

I swear to god that is my FAVORITE page right there..

And personally.. I'd like to see Dan stay single.. I read alot of comics and im kinda tired of them going away from what ever the strip started being about and turning into romace.. if I want romance I'll read Red String... hehe

Mao

I wouldn't have a problem with romance happening in this story, but I'd be afraid of it becoming a focus if it did happen.  I wouldn't like this comic to suddenly be about Dan's feelings for so and so, or how things were or weren't working out for him.  For that matter I wouldn't really like it if it was merely used as a plot device either.  If it's just kind of a side note it'd be fine.  I guess that's why I'm cool with Matilda (beyond the fact that she's not really a romance atm).  It's a side note for Dan.  It's not overbearing.

Amber Williams

My personal feelings on romance in comics or stories is that they are inevitable but are still only one small facet that makes up a character...thus should not be the prime focus.  Much like many things about a character, putting too much focus on one particular aspect ends up drowning the character and tripping up the story.

Odds are romance will show up in DMFA, as it is an inevitable feature of an individuals life.  But I dont intend for it to come at the cost of other aspects of the story.  At least I hope.