08/29/08 [Abel 2 #28] Emotional or Rational?

Started by VSMIT, August 28, 2008, 10:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VSMIT

So Fa'lina's got some abilities that are more powerful than others.  That's good to know.

And I'm not sure I'd want to see Abel Rejects #1 or #2.

Aurawyn

Ahh.. so that's why she mentioned Home..

She had to bring his emotions to the surface in order to lock them away. Now he can think, and she doesn't have to worry about someone saying the wrong word (Like "Home") and triggering an emotional fit.

Caswin

That...

That ruled.  That is a nifty power/stratagem right there.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

GabrielsThoughts

my personal belief is this, emotions alert you that there is a problem. you are more likely to make a more rational decision with them than without.  This strip perpetuates the myth that with emotion you are not responsible for your action because you were being emotional. or that a decision made in anger (subset fear)  is the wrong one...

don't get me wrong, theoretically  Fa'lina already knows all of Abel's likes and dislikes and without an emotional connection the conversation exclusively of information retrieval is possible... which isn't really decision making but information retrieval which means that abel wouldn't really be making a decision, but making a logical choice...which is manipulation.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Alondro

And Abel has never asked for his emotions back...

... which is why he's an arrogant ass.   >:3

*is hung by the "Gay for Abel" cult*  X_x
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

*hangs Alondro*

Sheesh, Fa'Lina is really freaking powerful. I don't think we've ever seen a hint of this power before... unless it's a high-level version of Cubi empathic powers.

As for rejected pose #3... I am truly frightened for what the wallpaper will look like. That's just scary.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Gamma

Emotions?! Bah! No need, just cloud the judgment. Cold hard logic is what I like. Except when it kinda doesn't work, that's the problem.
Ehh, you kinda need emotions to be an ass. I would know btw, it requires you to not care intentionally. Not having the capacity makes it a whole other ball game.

ARGGH!! I didn't think I'd use this.....                            Apparently is some twisted manner anyway :/

If anyone gives flak for your update schedule they should be drug into the street and shot.
Serious, they get this wonderful art and story for free. No complaints allowed!
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

VSMIT

Abel doesn't have the emotion block anymore...

His eyes are all sparkly again, which means that either he didn't want the block or Fa'lina decided that he was ok to be without it.

Which means he can be an arrogant ass if he wants.

Alondro

Fa'lina is a P20 Telepath!

Even the PsyCore cannot control her now!   :disbelief
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

AmigaDragon

I'd think this ability would be similar but the opposite of emotion jammering, blocking instead of flooding.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

VSMIT

I considered that, but the whole idea of emotion jamming is to metaphorically inject the person with an emotion.  I can see that this might happen if Fa'lina "injected" him with complacency, but for some reason I think her powers extend far beyond simple emotion jamming.

Tsunari

I somehow think that the rebels like Abel's father should go the extra distance in investment and don't send anyone to cubi school.  raise them himself and create a self-sufficient power base.

Since Falina has all that power doing it through the cubi school would make it pretty much whatever Fa'lina would alllow.  Trying to build an empire doesn't work well under such conditions.

Jairus

Quote from: Tsunari on August 29, 2008, 02:04:02 AM
I somehow think that the rebels like Abel's father should go the extra distance in investment and don't send anyone to cubi school.  raise them himself and create a self-sufficient power base.

Except we know that Aniz has not only brought his children to SAIA before, he has also left them in a similar condition to Abel. Here's where Fa'Lina mentions that he basically leaves his kids broken for Fa'Lina to fix, and Fa'Lina knew that he was planning to bring his next kid to SAIA as well. No, he needs the school to watch and raise his kids while he starts the whole thing over again.

demecowen

Quote from: Tsunari on August 29, 2008, 02:04:02 AM

That assuming if Aniz could raised his kids well, seeing his past investments (mainly Abel) they either will hate him or be too mess up to be worth cannon fodder.

As much I don't believe in cold hard emtionless rational, right now it better than another emotional breakdown happening for every certain word. 

Jairus

Quote from: demecowen on August 29, 2008, 03:09:19 AM
As much I don't believe in cold hard emtionless rational, right now it better than another emotional breakdown happening for every certain word. 

Good point. Besides, it's not permanent: Fa'Lina just needs him stable for a little bit. To buy her time to help him get over it... though I can only see this emotion blocker lasting for a few more minutes to an hour or so. She basically needs him rational while she explains what happened, what's happening, and what's going to happen.

Incidentally, demecowen, I don't think I've met you. Nice to meet you!

Kipiru

Wow, need I say that Fa'Lina rules big time! The taking away of the emotions must be in the same group of abilities that made her capable of putting a mental block on Dan when he was in SAIA. Probably the ultimate spell in that skill tree.

ChaoSynergy

Omega

Oh, if only it would be that easy in real life.

Though one might question if there are any motivators/antagonists/goals without emotions. Just because you know something is right, doesn't mean that it's something you want.

Feather Dancer

This is probably the best idea given he's just in an emotional fit otherwise and pretty incapable of rational thought. He needs the time to settle before he can properly grieve and this'll probably help a lot in doing that.

But damn, talk about cool just snapping your fingers like that. It's like a clappy light.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Tapewolf

Hmm, this whole monday-being-a-bank-holiday thing has made me confused about that day it is  :rolleyes
Anyway, that's a dead useful knack.  I don't know how easy a global block on emotions would be, but I imagine it's relatively easy to 'drain' a specific emotion, which could be useful in such circumstances.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

I think the Abel Rejected Pose #3 has finally made me capable of being gay for Abel. I can finally embrace my inner boob-lover. :boogie

I wish there was a I'm-Gay-For-Abel T-Shirt. :< If Amber made one for donations or something, I'd definitely buy one.

At this point I wouldn't be upset with a Gay-For-Fa'Lina shirt for the ladies, anyway. :U DAMN that was awesome. What was that she did? Some kind of advanced emotion jammer?

Tapewolf

I think I'm going to have to steal that eye effect  :3

One interesting point, though... is Abel going to simply go back out freaking out just as he was before, like a song being paused, or is he going to have a sudden rush of double-strength emotion as the bits he missed catch up with him?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkdragon

Or perhaps would the rush stop because the emotion flow would have subsided anyways after Fa'Lina removed it?

Rejected Pose #3... *shudder* Abel.., Abel... *sigh*

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2008, 08:46:21 AM
One interesting point, though... is Abel going to simply go back out freaking out just as he was before, like a song being paused, or is he going to have a sudden rush of double-strength emotion as the bits he missed catch up with him?
Or alternately, he could be "reset" so to speak, having emotions, but not using them until something else happens to trigger them. If that made sense.

Also, Abel should be female more often. :B
Jeez I need to update this thing.

VSMIT

It's as if she removed the emotion and stuck it up on a shelf in a storage bin somewhere.  I think that when he gets them back, he'll still feel them, but they won't be as pronounced because he will have moved past it or come to terms with it, if only a little bit.

I agree with Darkdragon regarding Pose #3.

Snap

y, hello thar new wallpaper!

i wonder if amber rejected the sketch because his eye-colors were switched...

Naldru

Seems like a magical equivalent of Zoloft.  Which would make sense if you viewed Abel as having a severe anxiety attack.

We know he can experience emotions because he can be afraid.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sofox

Wow, if someone took away my emotions just like that I'd be so pissed...

...wait a minute...

Lena

I'm still impressed that Fa'Lina can do that - and I do understand why, I know for a fact I don't make rational decisions when I'm emotional.

The rejected Abel pose is...like a 2x4 to the back of the head. Which is, I'm sure, what was intended. What I'm curious about is what the other guys were supposed to do in that version of the wallpaper... :erk :giggle

Jairus

Quote from: Lena on August 29, 2008, 12:46:02 PM
The rejected Abel pose is...like a 2x4 to the back of the head. Which is, I'm sure, what was intended. What I'm curious about is what the other guys were supposed to do in that version of the wallpaper... :erk :giggle

...  :erk

I need brain bleach. NOW.