Preterm labor and thora

Started by Brunhidden, August 02, 2008, 07:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

about 3 in the afternoon yesterday my wife thora, who some of you may know is pregnant, started having contractions. i ran her to the hospital, and when her parents and my parents showed up they sent me home so i can sleep before going to work- mandatory overtime no less

ive been updated that they've given her a shot to the arm, a shot to the butt, and an oral medication, all to stop the labor and stayed overnight to make sure everything is okay

we do NOT need Mia to come a month and a half early
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

rabid_fox

Mind you, these days a month and a half early is more akin to a five minute wait at the bus stop than anything medically concerning. Still, here's hoping for a smooth and trouble free final month or two to the pregnancy and, whatever the delivery time, a happy and healthy baby.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Keep us updated, Brunhidden. I hope everyone's doing fine.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Damaris

I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts, Brun. *hugs*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

TheGreyRonin

Brunhidden

update- thora is back, kinda, and the baby is still inside.

at the hospital she got 4 shots, two of them were steroid injections to try and speed up the development of Mia's lungs, the hope is to keep her for another 2 weeks so shes not considered preterm and can breathe once shes out.

thora requires a pill every 4 hours, even to the point of waking up to take it on schedule, to help prevent preterm labor from starting up again. she has another pill for pain that needs to be taken every 6 hours, and is supposed to make her sleepy, but i fail to see it working. this makes her cranky and fully aware that its going to be fairly soon instead of over a month like we had hoped

thora is also cranky because she is on bedrest, cant take care of eowyn, and we now have to pass her like a hot potato between our place and my moms so that i can sleep occasionally for work as otherwise i would be needed instead to stay awake.

this is a not fun time, but at least it seems to be mostly taken care of.

Jairus

Oh boy... it's not going to be a fun month, is it? My thoughts are with you and your family, Brun.

techmaster-glitch

I send good lucks to you all.

...And I can't wait to see what Eowyn has to say here when she finally has a little brother/sister :)

Jer-oh-me

Whoa, well, hope things go as smoothly as they can, though sounds like this is a trail with lotsa death cookies on it. Anyway, fingers crossed!

Brunhidden

Thora states the following, or would if she could hoist herself over here.

QuoteHere's an update

I received a total of 6 shots while in the hospital: 3 to stop contractions, something else, and 2 shots of a steroid to help mature Mia's lungs.  I had to stay overnight because of the steroid shots.  The doctor's goal is to have me make it 2 more weeks, to 36 weeks.  I have to take 1 pill every 4 hours to keep contractions at bay - and this means waking up at night to an alarm to take my meds...  sad

The past 2 days haven't been fun, because now I am not allowed to do alot - I'm to loaf around on bedrest...  I can't even take care of myself & definitely not Eowyn.  We have family watching both of us all hours of the day.  I also am extremely weak - I can barely walk 10 feet without getting tired & short of breath.  My back hurts all the time, in many places at once, which also sometimes affects my breathing.  I have a constant headache, even with ice on it.  I don't get much sleep because I am up every 2 hours going to the bathroom and/or taking meds.  I get short of breath with very little movement or talking more than 30 seconds straight.

In one hour, I see the doctor about some of these issues.  They plan on doing a test for hypertension.  I also have to have a non-stress test done twice a week.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Damn.

That's a heck of a lot of medication. :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Thora

Another Update:
Well, I had my appointment & had to have lots of tests.  I had my blood drawn too many times to count (one was drawn from my artery - which really hurts).  I had a non-stress test.  I had ultrasounds of my liver, gall bladder & Mia.  I had 2 CT scans of my lungs (Mia was protected both times).  Reasons for these tests: doctor thought I had pregnancy induced hypertension, I had elevated liver enzymes count on one test - wanted to make sure my liver was ok; there was the thought I had a blood clot in my lungs; thought pain in my back was from gall stones.  All my tests came back negative.

I was given nebulizer(sp) treatments for my shortness of breath, a PCA pump with some Morphine for pain, a heating pad for my back, and pulse boots on my feet to help with circulation while laying in bed.  I had to spend the night in the hospital.

All of my problems were due to the intense pain in my back.  Once I got the Morphine, I started feeling better.  Within 2 hours, I could walk like normal & without weakness/short of breath.  Yay!!  The doctors that were directly watching me were pleased/surprised.  I was switched to Vicodin, so I could go home.

I am doing much better, thanks to the pain meds, but it won't be too much longer.  When I had the ultrasound of Mia, I found out that she's measuring larger, up to 2 weeks bigger & the EDD based on the ultrasound is 9/2/08.  I also got a couple 4D pictures out of it   :mowhappy

Jairus

So you and Mia and everyone else at home are doing okay? That's good. Please keep us updated.

Yugo

I hope everything works out well for the both of you.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Good to hear you're both doing well.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Rakala

All you really need in life is good friends, and good health and it turns out you've got both.

Sunblink

Quote from: Rakala on August 13, 2008, 02:53:47 PM
All you really need in life is good friends, and good health and it turns out you've got both.

Amen, brother.

I'm glad to hear things are going well, Ms. Thora. Best wishes and luck to you.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Brunhidden

not so well actually= shes still on bedrest, they took her off the pain meds barely two days after issuing them to her after remembering they're hazardous to pregnant ladies, then prescribed antidepressants which were equally birth defective.

now is grumpy pain time for thora, but at least shes taking it well, or was until yesterday when she started complaining her skin was tight and something is strange

Mao

I know absolutely nothing about pregnancy aside from the very simple basics given to me back in high school and I have to admit you're coming across as much calmer than I'll likely ever be.  I'd be so full of fear/anxiety/excitement over every complaint and discomfort that I'd likely drive my significant other to distraction (heck, I'm sure if I ever bother to get one I'll drive them to distraction without them being pregnant).

Either way, things will work out just fine and I will want to see some baby pics!  Let me live vicariously through ya a bit would ya?

thegayhare

Is a little jealous...
I wanna be a daddy some day... most likely I'll adopt but It would be kinda nice to have this sort of experience.

Mao

I'm with you TGH.  Though adopting doesn't sound that bad.

Jairus

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who knows a couple who adopted two kids, I can say that a family like that can be very happy and stable. Especially since the kids knew that they were adopted from as young as they could understand the concept.

Incidentally, the couple who adopted those two kids are my grandparents. The adopted kids are my mom and uncle. They have a very good relationship.