9/12/06 - Take out the trash!

Started by Gabi, December 08, 2006, 08:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akisohida

Now THAT is an ice spell!

If he's still in there, he ain't happy!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

superluser

Quote from: Alan Garou on December 08, 2006, 09:07:09 PMI agree. This especially violent reaction from Devin utterly confirms the boyfriend hypothesis.

The violent reaction doesn't.  The muttering about times to mourn does.  Which goes to show that they did have a Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf type relationship.

I wonder if I can come up with an appropriate eulogy for this situation...

He did just give away his location, though.

Also, I wonder if Abel learned the Litany against Fear from Devin...

Quote from: modelincard on December 08, 2006, 10:04:49 PMEven if he's not dead, he's still under several feet of magical ice. It'll take him a while to melt through it.

``Ooh, thank God I left this on Jamaican!''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Narethlian

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, unless Amber doth decide that the Creature be dead, there shalt be more casting of the fireballs, and that a full-out mage battle wilt then ensue.

Anyways, someone mentioned Queen?

Now once upon a time an old man told me a fable,
Where the Piper is gone and the soup is cold on the table,
And when the black crow flies to find a new destination,
That is the sign!

:mwaha

-Nar

rt

I was beginning to wonder where Devin's weapon was especially with the 'plink him' in the last comic .. wondering if I missed the dagger holder, or it was in the infamous RPG inventory (or I guess in DMFA the Sword-Hammer zone) .. I guess this clears that up nicely  :)

:eager and great ice effects too!  :eager

Elader Arkon

Yes! THAT is what an Ice spell should do. Devin just earned some coolness points from me.   :boogie

Drake Manaweilder

Devins suposed to be a being right? I thought that beings didn't have this kind of magical power!  I know Banell* created spells for beings but being able to turn a watch tower into a spikey ice grave seems a bit much don't it? 

(* the "notable figure" from the Phoenix (B) entry in Demo 101)

Zedd

Yes he snapped and I dont blame him

Mock AV

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on December 09, 2006, 12:49:42 AM
Devins suposed to be a being right? I thought that beings didn't have this kind of magical power!  I know Banell* created spells for beings but being able to turn a watch tower into a spikey ice grave seems a bit much don't it? 

(* the "notable figure" from the Phoenix (B) entry in Demo 101)
If this world is anything like DnD then beings can do alot more than that with the proper experience.

Grenn

Niiiiiiice.

I would have pegged Abel as the first to use magic, but there ya go :)

He still knows it, but at this point I bet he's just too scared. I mean, the kid hasn't really seen any battle in his life before this.

Good for him though! I hate snipers....

BF2, I had a guy snipe me 3 times in a row last night. In a pretty protected area too. Dedicated the rest of the round to finding him. Got him good though :)

Pentawolf

Quote from: Elader Arkon on December 09, 2006, 12:31:16 AM
Yes! THAT is what an Ice spell should do. Devin just earned some coolness points from me.   :boogie

*Pent and aurissa unaminousely* "Ouch the pun! it burns!"

thegayhare

Quote from: Grenn on December 09, 2006, 02:15:15 AM

He still knows it, but at this point I bet he's just too scared. I mean, the kid hasn't really seen any battle in his life before this.

Exactly
Abel may know magic but he's not a warrior here he's a libriarian,  thats not a carreer that prepares one for a pitched magical battle.

Speaking as a sniper (battle feild: Galactic conquest  gotta love those deployable holo blinds) You may call it cheap but it's a perfectly legitimate combat tactic,  Snipers are usualy lightly armored and armed with a highpowered but slow weapon so if we are caught in the open we're toast.  Ever try and pull off a hipshot with a sniper rifle unless you get lucky on that first shot your dead.

Besides this guy isn't a sniper.  This is an ambush yes but he's no sniper, he seems to be operating the magical equivilent of a machine gun nest.  He's pumping out alot of fire  but it's wild an inaccurate.  If he was a true sniper these folks only warning would have come when one of them dropped deadas is Xander had enough warning to draw an arrow, and Glory had a sheild going.  If he's a sniper he's an ambarassment to us all.

Xander on te other hand,  that boy was a good sniper.  Abel didn't know what hit him

superluser

Quote from: superluser on December 08, 2006, 10:50:15 PMI wonder if I can come up with an appropriate eulogy for this situation...

Hmmm...

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: thegayhare on December 09, 2006, 02:38:54 AM
Quote from: Grenn on December 09, 2006, 02:15:15 AM

Exactly
Abel may know magic but he's not a warrior here he's a libriarian,  thats not a carreer that prepares one for a pitched magical battle.

Speaking as a sniper (battle feild: Galactic conquest  gotta love those deployable holo blinds) You may call it cheap but it's a perfectly legitimate combat tactic,  Snipers are usualy lightly armored and armed with a highpowered but slow weapon so if we are caught in the open we're toast.  Ever try and pull off a hipshot with a sniper rifle unless you get lucky on that first shot your dead.

Besides this guy isn't a sniper.  This is an ambush yes but he's no sniper, he seems to be operating the magical equivilent of a machine gun nest.  He's pumping out alot of fire  but it's wild an inaccurate.  If he was a true sniper these folks only warning would have come when one of them dropped deadas is Xander had enough warning to draw an arrow, and Glory had a sheild going.  If he's a sniper he's an ambarassment to us all.

Xander on te other hand,  that boy was a good sniper.  Abel didn't know what hit him
Well, for one, bullets are a lot faster than balls of fire (I'm assuming, since Glory had time to see it coming and defend against it.)  Also, they're much less noticable, I'm sure.  So  There's a big difference between a huge flaming ball of glowing-ness that you can obviously see coming, and a bullet travelling probably at least a mile in seconds.

e_voyager

Quote from: Zorro on December 08, 2006, 09:12:23 PM
Nothing says "Take out the Trash" Like an Ice Blast!  :)
that is some serious power that Devin used there..

personally i loved this quote here it is what Kira told may when there were talking about teaching able magic.. i don't remember what page it's one though
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

LionHeart

Quote from: Pentawolf on December 09, 2006, 02:16:58 AM
Quote from: Elader Arkon on December 09, 2006, 12:31:16 AM

*Pent and aurissa unaminousely* "Ouch the pun! it burns!"
Must be a freezer burn... :P

Definitely a serious attack there. Nothing like a few fast growing giant ice crystals to ruin your day...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Psaakyrn

On a minor note.. I think Amber needs a quick lesson in perspective. I think it's the "exit sign" syndrome again, except more obvious..

*hides before the lynch mob forms*
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Xander: "Eeeuh, you rotten swine... you have deaded me again!  I shan't play this rotten game no more, yehe!"
[to audience:] "Exits stage left, sulking."

Oh dear, looks like Xander bought it.  Of course this leaves the intriguing question of why there is a present-day dalmation 'cubi with exactly the same colouring and spot configuration, but there you go.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2006, 04:39:07 AM
Of course this leaves the intriguing question of why there is a present-day dalmation 'cubi with exactly the same colouring and spot configuration, but there you go.

I honestly didn't want to say anything cause you guys seemed to be having such a jolly fun time speculating.

But the simple truth was I completly forgot I had that character in the background as most of them were simply filler or cameos.  I am fond of the marking over eye gimmick...and red is a colour that goes well with black/white combos in my opinion.  So really, the two of them looking similar are pure coincidence and have nothing to do with eachother.  I feel kind of bad that the whole thing was nothing more than a red-herring so to speak.   :confused

Siren

WHOOT! GO DEVIN! VENGEEAAANCE WILL BE OURS!!!
Devin's gone up in my rating now.

B-but.... that must mean.... Xander's really dead? *sob*
  :cry

Gabi

Quote from: e_voyager on December 09, 2006, 02:51:46 AM
Quote from: Zorro on December 08, 2006, 09:12:23 PM
Nothing says "Take out the Trash" Like an Ice Blast!  :)
that is some serious power that Devin used there..

personally i loved this quote here it is what Kira told may when there were talking about teaching able magic.. i don't remember what page it's one though
It was page 24. And thanks. :)

Quote from: Amber Panyko on December 09, 2006, 04:56:12 AM
Of course this leaves the intriguing question of why there is a present-day dalmation 'cubi with exactly the same colouring and spot configuration, but there you go.

I honestly didn't want to say anything cause you guys seemed to be having such a jolly fun time speculating.

But the simple truth was I completly forgot I had that character in the background as most of them were simply filler or cameos.  I am fond of the marking over eye gimmick...and red is a colour that goes well with black/white combos in my opinion.  So really, the two of them looking similar are pure coincidence and have nothing to do with eachother.  I feel kind of bad that the whole thing was nothing more than a red-herring so to speak.   :confused
I see nothing wrong with that. Speculation can be fun but it's no more than that; it doesn't have to lead anywhere. That, and there are people in the real world who look similar, so why couldn't there be similar-looking characters in the DMFA world?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

MT Hazard

I really like the themed speech bubbles and sound effect words, they work wonders for the overall effect.

That and death by ice crystals, ouch. If you bleed there's a chance you freeze to the ice impaling you.

On comparing the attacks to existing weapons,I'd say the fire balls are more like grenades. Dev's attack is one of those 'not going to do one of those again anytime soon' attacks. He'll probably need to lie down for a bit.

Oh and can people stop saying 'dev's shown a bit of emotion towards a guy, he must be gay' its getting very repetitive and annoying.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Gabi

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 09, 2006, 05:20:19 AM
Oh and can people stop saying 'dev's shown a bit of emotion towards a guy, he must be gay' its getting very repetitive and annoying.
You can do what I do: just ignore them. That doesn't encourage them to continue.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ITOS

That seemed too easy. A creature that puts out a trap and ambushes two groups of adventurers must be good enough to handle these kind of things. Maybe the fireball spitter is just a distraction?

Sorry if it has been brought up before.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

I feel kind of bad that the whole thing was nothing more than a red-herring so to speak.   :confused
Heh.  It might have been better if you'd said 'no' in the first place.  This sort of thing has happened before, and that fact that you didn't deny it outright was actually one of the main reasons I figured I was on to a winner. 

Ah well, one for the Wiki entry on Xander, I suppose.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sid

*refuses to believe that Xander is dead* *sniffle-sob* :cry
I find it quite interesting that so far, Beings have displayed greater magical skill than most Creatures. Only Mab and her parents have actually shown magic on the same level as Devin or Glory. Abel did display some nice tricks, but nothing as devastating as the Ice spell (or Mab's nuke spell). I'd even put Merlitz above Abel when it comes to display intensity (though Abel has shown greater diversity).

(For the log, I'm not counting personal or racial traits like enhanced strength or wing tentacles as magic in this sense.)

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2006, 07:06:07 AM
I feel kind of bad that the whole thing was nothing more than a red-herring so to speak.   :confused
Heh.  It might have been better if you'd said 'no' in the first place.  This sort of thing has happened before, and that fact that you didn't deny it outright was actually one of the main reasons I figured I was on to a winner.

Aw, but where's the fun in that? ;)
:boogie

Akisohida

Perhaps magic is tied into the spirit and feelings of the person casting it? When a person flips out physically, he can hit harder and such because of his emotions. Perhaps Devins rage, dispite the fact that he forced it down, cause he spell to be a wee bit more powerful than usual?

Oh! And I now know what that ice spell reminds me of! One of the fun, yet worst games, I ever played; Mystic Heros. I had an attack almost exactly like that, if I remember right.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

thegayhare

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on December 09, 2006, 02:44:00 AM
Well, for one, bullets are a lot faster than balls of fire (I'm assuming, since Glory had time to see it coming and defend against it.)  Also, they're much less noticable, I'm sure.  So  There's a big difference between a huge flaming ball of glowing-ness that you can obviously see coming, and a bullet travelling probably at least a mile in seconds.

Which is anouther strike against calling him a sniper.  His choice of of attack is not a snipers attack.  It's too slow,  I'd say lightning would have been a beter choice for a magical sniper.

Hell even the fireballs would be okay if he seemd to attack with any accuracy. 

Like I said this isn't a sniper, it's an ambush.  He's blasting away and hopping he hits

Aridas

But the simple truth was I completly forgot I had that character in the background as most of them were simply filler or cameos. I am fond of the marking over eye gimmick...and red is a colour that goes well with black/white combos in my opinion. So really, the two of them looking similar are pure coincidence and have nothing to do with eachother. I feel kind of bad that the whole thing was nothing more than a red-herring so to speak. :confused
I swear you've already explained that once before...

superluser

Quote from: Akisohida on December 09, 2006, 07:57:16 AMPerhaps magic is tied into the spirit and feelings of the person casting it? When a person flips out physically, he can hit harder and such because of his emotions. Perhaps Devins rage, dispite the fact that he forced it down, cause he spell to be a wee bit more powerful than usual?

Trance!

Someone needs to do a Devin trance shot.  Unfortunately, I can't find a FFIX trance screenshot, so I can't.

Alablast

My guess, just in keeping with the 'tragic' storyline developing so far:

Xander went to the tower to send a message, but got knocked out by the monster (or maybe the monster just thought it had killed him).  Monster leaves Xander in the tower, goes back to Devin and Abel, and tries to leave (I'm guessing he's trying to throw Glory, or anybody else, off his trail- he does specify they need to hurry when he meets up with them at the lake).  Glory shows up and stops them from leaving, which gives Xander enough time to come to.  Xander sees Devin and Abel surrounded by himself (who he knows is the monster) and three other creatures (he probably can't tell who they are from the watchtower; just that they're with the monster and have his friends cornered).  Seeing his party members in trouble, he does the only thing an adventuring hero can do- he attacks.

I get this impression because of three things:

The fort wasn't actually burned down when it was attacked; Devin said it just looked like somebody knocked over a lantern.  If fireballs were getting thrown around, that probably wouldn't be the case.

Xander got pretty upset when Glory showed up- "Oh shi-!"

Devin said that the attacker was concentrating on Glory's team.  Granted, Devin and Abel had jumped out of sight while Glory and the others were standing and fighting, but it still supports the theory that Xander is... errr... was... up in the tower trying to save Devin and Abel.

Plus, I love how the talk bubble looks like a snowflake when Devin attacked.  (Not really important, just thought it was a nice touch. ^^)