[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Mao

If it helps any, I did some looking around your DA site and I found a two pictures that I definitely did not find flat at all:  I believe it was the "Are you Challenging Me?" here and  and the "Out Cold" here.

Maybe there's something you're doing differently in these two than you usually do?

Sunblink

Quote from: Mowser on July 17, 2008, 12:57:55 PM
If it helps any, I did some looking around your DA site and I found a two pictures that I definitely did not find flat at all:  I believe it was the "Are you Challenging Me?" here and  and the "Out Cold" here.

Maybe there's something you're doing differently in these two than you usually do?

Welllll... Those are in black and white, but I used some types of shading in that picture. Basically, by coloring in some parts with pencil. That's probably why things look a bit more three-dimensional. Some people tend to like my pencil shading for some reason.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

Might have something to do with it being good. :D  At this rate, I'm going to have to look into possibly getting a forum sig and avatar commissioned out of you!

Sunblink

Quote from: Mowser on July 17, 2008, 01:25:20 PM
Might have something to do with it being good. :D  At this rate, I'm going to have to look into possibly getting a forum sig and avatar commissioned out of you!

Hehe. Well thank you! :3 And honestly, I would really enjoy that, considering I've never made a signature/avatar set before - but that's probably a discussion reserved for PMs. X3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Brunhidden

i thought you did the sig for xze xze, and there was someone i thought had your work as an avatar but i don't know who
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sunblink

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 17, 2008, 08:12:21 PM
i thought you did the sig for xze xze, and there was someone i thought had your work as an avatar but i don't know who

I did the picture in the sig for Xze-Xze, but I think Haz actually made the picture into a sig. He also worked on my avatar :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Nikki

Yar. Keaton did the Pic, and i -think- Haz made teh sig |D i'll ask him tomorrow

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

Yes, I made the sig.  Not too proud of it, in retrospect, but what artist likes old art? :razz  I also used to have an avatar I made, myself, using a drawing of Keats' and I made Keats' current, and previous avatar (without the pimp hat), and .  Speaking of avatars for Keats: It's a Keaton... on a steeek. :3

Oh, and awesome arts, as always, Keats! :O

Sunblink

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 19, 2008, 06:37:29 PM
Yes, I made the sig.  Not too proud of it, in retrospect, but what artist likes old art? :razz  I also used to have an avatar I made, myself, using a drawing of Keats' and I made Keats' current, and previous avatar (without the pimp hat), and .  Speaking of avatars for Keats: It's a Keaton... on a steeek. :3

Oh my god.

That is the most amazing thing ever.

*wears avatar like a badge of pride* :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Brunhidden

Mao

Yeah, but it could be in a much.. much more uncomfortable spot.

Sunblink

Second of god-knows-how-many commissions finished. Starting on the next one once I get some drawings out of the way...

Time Taken:
* Everything: FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.
Currently Listening To: "Bad Girlfriend," by Theory of a Deadman

Click the link above for a more detailed description. Right now I'm a little bit tired, so I'm not in my most talkative of moods.

All I can really say is that yes, this is the new shading style I mentioned in an earlier post. If you want to know more about it, you can find a link to the tutorial in the description of the picture above. The picture is of Laertes, Cogidubnus's character.

Yes, you all have to put up with another annoying watermark. I made this one more foolproof than the previous one!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Paladin Sheppard

Jairus

*concurs with the Armored Wolf Incubus*

Wow, I've got to look at some of your other stuff. That was awesome!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

I can't resolve it at the moment and anyway, I'm a little twitchy about visiting DA at work, but I'll definitely check it out tonight.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

Tapewolf

Got it.  That is superb.  The watermark is kind of annoying, but definitely harder to remove.
He's going to make a nasty hole in the carpet if his arm tires and he loses his grip on the weapon, though...

Cogidubnus

Don't think there's anything I could say that I haven't already, Keats. I'm extremely pleased with it. :3

*Cough*EveryoneshouldgivealltheirmoneytoKeaton*cough*.  :B

Brunhidden

*rummages pockets, finds 37 cents and a stick of gum*

well, there goes my groceries...

Sunblink

Quote from: Cogidubnus on July 29, 2008, 10:19:21 AM
*Cough*EveryoneshouldgivealltheirmoneytoKeaton*cough*.  :B

Everyone should give me money and sex. </BDK reference>

Still, I'm really glad you liked the picture, Cog. :3 And I'm really glad that a lot of other people liked it as well. Thank you all so much, everyone!

Yes, I'm not addressing the comments individually. I just can't write today. :c

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

:D

I love the finished product! Quite the devious smile mixed in with what, to me, looks like an almost bemused look.  Quite nice.

Question/Criticism time:
I'm wondering about the light on the clothing a bit with relation to the shadows thrown by the table/chair.  They don't seem to match up unless there's more than one light source.  Is that it?  There's dark spots on the clothes that should be hit by the light (example, and a spot on the knee on the left side that should be in the light if  the shine on the pants and furniture shadows are any indications).

Anyway, sorry I'm always yangin' on ya about this.  It does look excellent and from the seems of it, Cogi loves it.  So.. would just money be acceptable?  ;-)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 29, 2008, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: Mowser on July 29, 2008, 11:10:20 AM
So.. would just money be acceptable?  ;-)

What, is "cute" not your type? ;-]

Cute is fine by me.  9 years younger however, not so much. :P  Makes me feel like a pervy old man just talking about it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Consider yourself lucky. She's less than half my age. :-/

... Scuse me while I get out my zimmerframe.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

In about two months, I'll be four years older than her.
Okay, this is just getting weird. Let's get back to her art!

Again, really nice. I'm sorry that you need to use such a large watermark to protect your work.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 29, 2008, 12:43:56 PM

Hmm.. maybe you should commission Keats to do a picture of a box and a walker (zimmerframe).

Sunblink

Quote from: Mowser on July 29, 2008, 11:10:20 AM
:D

I love the finished product! Quite the devious smile mixed in with what, to me, looks like an almost bemused look.  Quite nice.

Question/Criticism time:
I'm wondering about the light on the clothing a bit with relation to the shadows thrown by the table/chair.  They don't seem to match up unless there's more than one light source.  Is that it?  There's dark spots on the clothes that should be hit by the light (example, and a spot on the knee on the left side that should be in the light if  the shine on the pants and furniture shadows are any indications).

Anyway, sorry I'm always yangin' on ya about this.  It does look excellent and from the seems of it, Cogi loves it.  So.. would just money be acceptable?  ;-)

Ah, I've mentioned this before, but the light source is supposed to be coming from directly above the character. However, with my incompetence (:P) at light sources and shadow/highlighting placement, the light source appears to be originating from the top-left. Weird.

It's really no problem, given any and all advice is definitely appreciated. It's how I (try to) improve. I'm really glad you like the picture, so thank you. :) Also, money is still acceptable; I was kidding about the money and sex thing and I just wanted an opportunity to quote BDK.

Quote from: Jairus on July 29, 2008, 12:47:39 PM
Again, really nice. I'm sorry that you need to use such a large watermark to protect your work.

It's not really a necessity, given nobody's ever tried to steal my artwork before (thank GOD), but because this is a commission I wanted to be very careful. Plus, my last watermark was pretty easily-removed so I decided to be a bit more thorough. The better option would have been to not post this at all, but I was so proud of the results that I wanted to show off the image.

Cog has the non-watermarked version.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 29, 2008, 12:43:56 PM

Oddly, the first thing that came to mind was "llearch is ooooooooold."

The second thing was "what's a zimmerframe?" :B

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 29, 2008, 01:05:50 PM

Ah, I've mentioned this before, but the light source is supposed to be coming from directly above the character. However, with my incompetence (:P) at light sources and shadow/highlighting placement, the light source appears to be originating from the top-left. Weird.

Nah ah!  None of that!  As a critic of your work, I'll decide when you get called incompetent.  This is not one of those occasions.

The second thing was "what's a zimmerframe?" :B

~Keaton the Black Jackal

I answered that one in my post.  We know it as a walker.

Pagan

It took me awhile to finally realize the significance of "walker"...

Very nice, Keat. What's the IV on the (I'm guessing that it's) wine? Just a random four?
I think this is my first time in this thread, so I'll say this here, I love your keaton-face signiture.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

It's not really a necessity, given nobody's ever tried to steal my artwork before (thank GOD), but because this is a commission I wanted to be very careful. Plus, my last watermark was pretty easily-removed so I decided to be a bit more thorough. The better option would have been to not post this at all, but I was so proud of the results that I wanted to show off the image.

Well, it just makes it more of a challenge   >:3
I kid, the gradient shading would make this a bit of a problem to de-mark.