[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 20, 2008, 06:25:22 PM
No, I do not apologize for the watermark cluttering up the picture. >:3 Only ShadesFox gets the non-watermarked version since I'm slightly paranoid about people stealing this stuff. Granted, it's never happened before... :B

Good likeness.  As for the watermark, I'm tempted to remove it just to see if I can...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

techmaster-glitch

Hee hee. Oversized sword. And a damn nice one, too :)

I like most chars who wield oversized weapons. Freakin awesome xD

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Before I get started on more commissions, I busted out a con badge really really fast by using an already existing image I was planning on putting in an improved version of my DeviantArt ID. Fortunately I had already inked and partially colored it (the yellow parts in Keaton's fur and her hair and eyes, mostly), so I was able to wrap this up in a few hours. I even slapped a simple background on this thing because I wanted it to look neat and because, as a short, slightly chubby, and adorable seventeen year-old girl, I need some identification so people don't think I'm lying when I say that I play a psychotic and murderous black-backed jackal online.

All I need to do is bring it over to where it can be printed on some glossy paper. And I need to get some waterproof stuff and something to hang it around my neck with. I bought a broach online, but I don't think it'll arrive at my house before AC.

I have two versions of the same badge - they're essentially the same, save for the backgrounds.

This is the version I'm going to use for AC, since it fits Keaton more.

I didn't like this version so much, but I figured I'd include it as a bonus.

Oh yeah, and I still need to touch the first badge up, because I seem to have forgotten the highlighting on Keaton's nose in my rush. Plus there are a number of other errors I hadn't realized before. lolwhups.

Also, I really like Keaton's outfit in this picture. I'll draw a full-body shot of it after I'm done with all the commissions.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Woah, that is one hideous expression she has there.  Yes, I think you've done 'murderous and psychopathic' bit to a tee.

The only suggestion I would make is that it the titling should probably be bigger.  Ideally the word 'Keaton' should be visible from a distance - right now it looks to be about the same dimensions as the name on the official badge, which you have to peer at to read.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Unless, of course, you want strange people peering at your chest, which some people seem to...

*cough*

Incidentally, I was going to say the image looks like she's smiling at Dariyl to say that she's ok with the lollipops, thankyouverymuchnothanksIdon'twantanotherthisoneisstillfinehonestI'mok!

Or something like that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 21, 2008, 03:01:55 PM
... Unless, of course, you want strange people peering at your chest, which some people seem to...
She's 17... they'd shove you in the incinerator before you can say "Due Process"  :paranoid

QuoteIncidentally, I was going to say the image looks like she's smiling at Dariyl to say that she's ok with the lollipops, thankyouverymuchnothanksIdon'twantanotherthisoneisstillfinehonestI'mok!
That is an interesting take on it, though I'd say she looks a little too belligerent for that.  If the eyebrows were going the other way, yes, she'd look kind of panicked.

Incidentally, this may be useful:  http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/Conbadge

ShadesFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 21, 2008, 03:16:56 PM
She's 17... they'd shove you in the incinerator before you can say "Due Process"  :paranoid

Unless you're 21, in which case you are in the 5 year buffer and should be okay.

Still, I must agree with the 'the words are not large enough' sentiment.  Most people won't be able to make that out at all.
The All Purpose Fox

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 21, 2008, 03:16:56 PM

Not me. I won't be there. (not that I make it through the 21 year thing, anyway)

Besides, anyone wearing writing on their chest is asking for someone to bend over and read it... That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;-]

Sunblink

Quote from: ShadesFox on June 21, 2008, 03:30:34 PM
Still, I must agree with the 'the words are not large enough' sentiment.  Most people won't be able to make that out at all.

Hm. Thanks for the suggestions on the words, guys. I fixed it in the adjusted version, but my Internet's giving me some trouble and I'm still working on it so that way the badge is satisfactory, so I won't upload the improved badge until later.

By the way, Tape, thanks for the link to that Wiki article on con badges. This is pretty helpful, and I'll be mulling over the article all night. XD Hopefully I'll be thoroughly prepared before the 26th rolls around.

Also, to not give people an excuse to stare at my chest, I'll probably attach the badge to my hat or something :B

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Attach it to the back of your neck.

That way they have an excuse for watching you leave. ;-]

Sunblink

CLICK HERE

Allllrighty. I fixed the words on the badge and touched things up a little. The title is much larger now; hopefully it's easier to see.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Better.  I still think that it should be more like this:
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Image:05_Keaton.png
i.e. 'KEATON' in large lettering and ("the Black Jackal") underneath in smaller type.

This is what I did for mine:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/tw_badge.png
...the emphasis on having the lettering clearly legible from a distance.
Not having a laminator I sized it to fit inside a CD envelope.  It attaches with a safety-pin.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 22, 2008, 10:16:59 AM
Better.  I still think that it should be more like this:
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Image:05_Keaton.png
i.e. 'KEATON' in large lettering and ("the Black Jackal") underneath in smaller type.

This is what I did for mine:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/tw_badge.png
...the emphasis on having the lettering clearly legible from a distance.
Not having a laminator I sized it to fit inside a CD envelope.  It attaches with a safety-pin.

Huh, I hadn't tried that. I'll give that a try; besides, it'll give my actual name more room so I can make it larger.

*breaks out the Wacom tablet again*

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Ren Gaulen

Neeeeeeeeeeat!. :] The smile looks totally disarming. As in "Keaton will disarm you by cutting your arms off". >:3

Sunblink

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on June 22, 2008, 11:20:35 AM
Neeeeeeeeeeat!. :] The smile looks totally disarming. As in "Keaton will disarm you by cutting your arms off". >:3

Thank youuuu! :) One of these days I will draw Keaton smiling in genuine happiness. Preferably while eating a marshmallow peep, because she loves those.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 22, 2008, 11:42:20 AM
Thank youuuu! :) One of these days I will draw Keaton smiling in genuine happiness. Preferably while eating a marshmallow peep, because she loves those.

... preferably in the shape of the person she's smiling at, just to rub it in. ;-]

Wildy

Much <3 for Keaton's art. My 2 cents. :boogie *lurklurklurk*

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 22, 2008, 11:49:33 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 22, 2008, 11:42:20 AM

... preferably in the shape of the person she's smiling at, just to rub it in. ;-]

I was thinking they'd be in the shape of those little chickies, but sure, we'll go with that. ;)

Quote from: Wildy on June 23, 2008, 12:21:33 PM
Much <3 for Keaton's art. My 2 cents. :boogie *lurklurklurk*

Aww, thank you!  :hug Thanks for coming out of your lurker-status momentarily, as well, to give your input. :3 I'm really flattered. :boogie

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Wildy

pffftt... Its all true. Keep learning. You have a lot of nice detail in your work. I look for your name and new arts when I do come back to this art thread. Not that I'm any big art critic or anything. I can't do the stuff you guys can. ;)

But I like your style and your incredible detail. :ipod

Sunblink

Quote from: Wildy on June 24, 2008, 02:24:33 AM
pffftt... Its all true. Keep learning. You have a lot of nice detail in your work. I look for your name and new arts when I do come back to this art thread. Not that I'm any big art critic or anything. I can't do the stuff you guys can. ;)

But I like your style and your incredible detail. :ipod

Thank you very, very much! :> Honestly, I don't think there's ever going to be a time when I stop learning. I mean, I'm really satisfied with my artwork, but I really want to always improve. I want to learn realism, actually, since experimenting with charcoal at an art class was really fun and I think doing some more things would be great. Again, thank you very much. <3 I think seeing this comment was a great way to start off my day.

I just hope there isn't a storm for the seventh time in a row this week like there has been for the past few days. *cue ಠ_ಠ face* There are starving forests in California which need weather, and yet we get all of it. Yeesh.

Anyway, thank you very much, again. <3 I can't thank you enough. c: I will make more and more artwork. *joins in the :ipod dance*

Delicious cake for everyone!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Sunblink

Hm. I'm still working on commissions (I didn't forget them!), and they're coming along very slowly, but I'm not complaining. It's a lot of fun, especially since I'm experimenting with new techniques. Since I'm in North Carolina and don't have access to a scanner, I decided to post up a request I owed Zedd for a long time. You know, to keep the art topic afloat and all. Already colored and shaded it a while back.

Time Taken:
* Drawing: Too long
* Inking: 1 Day
* Coloring: Delayed because of dramaz
Currently Listening To: "Inside the Fire," by Disturbed

I finished the lineart while I was at AC, then gave it to Zedd in person. He asked me to color it, so I went ahead and did it after the typical procrastination. It was a bit delayed, but I'm happy that all of my requests are out of the way so I can dedicate time to commissions.

Zedd also told me to remind you all that Robin isn't wearing lipstick. That is his natural lip color.

From here on out, I'm going to be experimenting with a new coloring style Mystique gave me a tutorial for, so if all goes well with that coloring style, this might be the last time I use my sloppy black shadow-style.

A very simple picture, but I... mostly like how it turned out, especially since his character is insanely hard to draw. I dislike the pose. I'll see if I can draw Zedd a better picture next time.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Zedd

Oh dont worry your little noggin. I loved the outcome neverless :D

Nikki

*0* teh awesome!!!

and i'm betting ur previous stuff was teh shizz...i jus' don't wanna backread 8D;;; *lazy*

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Brunhidden

heh, zedd must have scored some brownie points to earn that one
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Mao

It's amazing to look at some of the earlier images that you've got and the ones you've got now.  You've definitely improved alot!  Makes me wish I had some artistic talent!

The only critique I can give is that something just feels flat about your images.  I'm not sure what it is exactly because I've got no artistic talent what-so-ever but it's there.  Either way I love the colors, I love the poses and styles, and I just over all love the work.  (Particularly that one of Tira, she's my favorite char from SC:III)

Sunblink

Quote from: Zedd on July 14, 2008, 03:33:20 PM
Oh dont worry your little noggin. I loved the outcome neverless :D

Heh, I'm glad you did, Zedd. Hopefully I can draw you something a little more impressive in the future, though.

Quote from: Xze-Xze on July 15, 2008, 09:39:02 PM
*0* teh awesome!!!

and i'm betting ur previous stuff was teh shizz...i jus' don't wanna backread 8D;;; *lazy*

Hey Xze, it's good to see you again! I haven't seen you comment on my work in a while.

Also, thank you XD I'm not pressuring you to backread, though. Take your time with that. There's a lot of stuff, so that would be a bit tedious.

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 16, 2008, 01:12:33 AM
heh, zedd must have scored some brownie points to earn that one

I actually have really owed him this for a long time, but yeah, he has all sorts of brownie points. :3

Quote from: Mowser on July 16, 2008, 11:49:40 AM
It's amazing to look at some of the earlier images that you've got and the ones you've got now.  You've definitely improved alot!  Makes me wish I had some artistic talent!

The only critique I can give is that something just feels flat about your images.  I'm not sure what it is exactly because I've got no artistic talent what-so-ever but it's there.  Either way I love the colors, I love the poses and styles, and I just over all love the work.  (Particularly that one of Tira, she's my favorite char from SC:III)

Omigod critique! *loves all over it*

Thank you so much for the comment, dude. This was... extremely helpful, and gives me a reason to look at some of my images from a new perspective. Hopefully the new shading style I'm going to be experimenting with will help my pictures appear less flat, but this is still slightly surprising. Gives me something to try and improve. A good friend of mine had always encouraged me to use colored outlines for my work because he thought it would make my work "pop out" more... so it could be the black outlines which are creating the flatness.

I'm so glad you love everything, though. :tighthug Thank you for all of the lovely compliments. I'm also thrilled to meet another Tira fan, because she seems to be one of the more unappreciated of the Soulcalibur characters, whereas I looove her.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

I'm glad it was helpful.  I'm always worried when I critique work that I'm going to offend/hurt the feelings of the artist. :<  I really can't wait to see some samples of the new shading style!  PM me when you do to make sure that I don't miss it!

Sunblink

Quote from: Mowser on July 16, 2008, 02:03:47 PM
I'm glad it was helpful.  I'm always worried when I critique work that I'm going to offend/hurt the feelings of the artist. :<  I really can't wait to see some samples of the new shading style!  PM me when you do to make sure that I don't miss it!

Nah, I have pretty thick skin when it comes to critique. Largely because I always strive to improve my artwork, and hearing others' opinions really helps.

And thank you very much! :tighthug I'll be sure to send you a sample when I'm done with it. I should probably practice on a smaller image, but I'm using a fairly large one, and a commission to boot. Hence, it might take a while. :<

~Keaton the Black Jackal