07/1/13 [DMFA #1367] - Snerk

Started by The_one_who_is_odd, January 07, 2013, 04:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_one_who_is_odd

Cold shower much?

TacticalError

I think drenching Abel with a hosepipe is not going to get him off the path of "Everyone is an idiot and I want to punch somebody". It'll probably push him further up it. More fuel on the fire Pyroduck.

MT Hazard

Considering Pyro is no longer getting information from Da it seems he's perceptive/smart enough to work out Abel's behaviour on his own.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 07, 2013, 06:45:09 AM
Considering Pyro is no longer getting information from Da it seems he's perceptive/smart enough to work out Abel's behaviour on his own.

I would estimate he's 6-7 thousand years old, and it's quite likely he's been hanging around SAIA as a guest or lecturer.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 07, 2013, 07:23:43 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 07, 2013, 06:45:09 AM

I would estimate he's 6-7 thousand years old, and it's quite likely he's been hanging around SAIA as a guest or lecturer.

I was going to say "not that much", and guess at 5 or so, but the revenge of the Dimanika clan wasn't part of the whole thing that started the Cubi-Dragon war up, wasn't it? I mean, bear in mind that Hizell attacking Siar was within the last thousand at most, as Abel is only 400, and Aniz was only 800 or so...

I was under the impression (albeit I'm not much good at normal earth history, let alone the fictional one Amber has in her head) that Dimanika's Revenge was for Hizell, which means it'd have to be _after_ the attack on Siar. Which makes him probably less than a thousand years old, allowing for rounding errors.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jesk Levethix

Ack.. Abel I feel your shivers.

Not to say he didn't deserve them.

I guess thou this is the advanced version of spraying your cat with a water bottle when it misbehaves.

Edit  : Ack missed the original misspelling... fixed now.. must remember to not make posts before fully waking up anymore >.>

Liatai

Ignuus66

This also means that pyro has a mindshield on (which comes as no suprise) due to abel not being able to ready for the spritzopocalypse

Edit: Abel able

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 07, 2013, 08:18:06 AM
I was going to say "not that much", and guess at 5 or so, but the revenge of the Dimanika clan wasn't part of the whole thing that started the Cubi-Dragon war up, wasn't it? I mean, bear in mind that Hizell attacking Siar was within the last thousand at most, as Abel is only 400, and Aniz was only 800 or so...

SAIA was formed during the height of the war, 7000 years ago.  AFAIK it was started a century or so after Fa'Lina disappeared following the murder of her entire clan.
In the flashback where she's presented with Pyroduck, Fa'Lina is dressed in black as if for mourning, and unless I'm much mistaken she has worn pink on every single other occasion she has appeared in the comic.  Her sombre dress and the fact that Dimanika were only permitted to do that kind of offensive attack during the war, makes me believe that she was presented him during the war itself, during the early years of SAIA.

QuoteI was under the impression (albeit I'm not much good at normal earth history, let alone the fictional one Amber has in her head) that Dimanika's Revenge was for Hizell, which means it'd have to be _after_ the attack on Siar. Which makes him probably less than a thousand years old, allowing for rounding errors.

I don't think it was because of the attack on Siar, which really only affected Siar clan, to be honest.  Dimanika clan did their thing on behalf of everyone who had been hurt by Hizell during the war, and I think Hizell probably betrayed her and caused the death of her clan early on in the war.  I think that's why she was given Pyroduck, not because Hizell had offed some other clan.

AFAIK, that attack on Siar appears to have been a skirmish that happened long after the bulk of the war had ended.

That's my belief, anyway.  I could be completely wrong.

YawnPB

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 07, 2013, 11:49:08 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 07, 2013, 08:18:06 AM

SAIA was formed during the height of the war, 7000 years ago.  AFAIK it was started a century or so after Fa'Lina disappeared following the murder of her entire clan.
In the flashback where she's presented with Pyroduck, Fa'Lina is dressed in black as if for mourning, and unless I'm much mistaken she has worn pink on every single other occasion she has appeared in the comic.  Her sombre dress and the fact that Dimanika were only permitted to do that kind of offensive attack during the war, makes me believe that she was presented him during the war itself, during the early years of SAIA.

QuoteI was under the impression (albeit I'm not much good at normal earth history, let alone the fictional one Amber has in her head) that Dimanika's Revenge was for Hizell, which means it'd have to be _after_ the attack on Siar. Which makes him probably less than a thousand years old, allowing for rounding errors.

I don't think it was because of the attack on Siar, which really only affected Siar clan, to be honest.  Dimanika clan did their thing on behalf of everyone who had been hurt by Hizell during the war, and I think Hizell probably betrayed her and caused the death of her clan early on in the war.  I think that's why she was given Pyroduck, not because Hizell had offed some other clan.

AFAIK, that attack on Siar appears to have been a skirmish that happened long after the bulk of the war had ended.

That's my belief, anyway.  I could be completely wrong.

IIRC Siar called for her entire clan in SAIA or otherwise, and Destania stopped Abel's dad from joining the last stand.  So it stands to reason there was a gap between the 2 clans destruction. 
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Naldru

I was just looking at llearch's subject title for the discussion of DMFA #1366.  It seems that "showering" was extremely appropriate for today's strip as well.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Nino

Feedback look of emotions that can spiral out of control... man, this is kind of a downer I guess, because this totally reminds me of some of the qualities of bipolar disorder, for both depression and mania. Or even just depression in general.

Haha I bet Abel's tail is like huge off-panel.

Infranscia

Quote from: Nino on January 08, 2013, 01:30:58 AMHaha I bet Abel's tail is like huge off-panel.

Assuming it's not too heavy with water at least.  Either way could be pretty funny. :mowwink

I didn't realize it would be possible for a Cubi to get a into feedback loop, picking up their own energy in that way...  I'm guessing it would be similarly be possible to also filter out their own emitted emotions?  Or would such a filter/barrier be likely to not let the emotions out and make it worse?

Although, the cold water may even be better than sense-slapping, in some ways. :mowhappy

I don't think we've ever seen Pyroduck angry like this.  I'm wondering if this might have to do at all with being without Da's guidance, or if this is actually purely because of Abel.

(Either way, I'm reminded of the 'fighting like brothers' thing. :mowsmile)
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

YawnPB

Hmm, I wouldn't say that Pyroduck is mad.  Seems like he is in truant father mode, catching "the boy" trying to sneak out of the house to escape grounding/do something stupid.
Lurkus Wallflowerus

joshofspam

Strangely enough, now I'm trying to picture how Abel would look like as a soaked cat.

Trying to apply what I've seen of soaked cats and laying it over Abel's form in my mind. Do you think he loses quite a bit of perceived body mass when his fur is soaked like some cats?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Wanderer

Quote from: Infranscia on January 08, 2013, 02:28:08 AM
I didn't realize it would be possible for a Cubi to get a into feedback loop, picking up their own energy in that way...  I'm guessing it would be similarly be possible to also filter out their own emitted emotions?  Or would such a filter/barrier be likely to not let the emotions out and make it worse?

I imagine it should be possible. It would probably be more of a matter of reasoning out that they need to do that. They probably can't think very well when they're in this state.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Wanderer on January 08, 2013, 09:51:12 PM
I didn't realize it would be possible for a Cubi to get a into feedback loop, picking up their own energy in that way...  I'm guessing it would be similarly be possible to also filter out their own emitted emotions?  Or would such a filter/barrier be likely to not let the emotions out and make it worse?

I imagine it should be possible. It would probably be more of a matter of reasoning out that they need to do that. They probably can't think very well when they're in this state.

i'm kindof empathic, and i run off the emotions of those around me and basically "feed" off them the way the DMFA 'cubi do. in fact, the pannel Abel describes it to Dan describes me perfectly. and i actually experience this phenomenon. when i'm alone, i have only my own emotions to run off of, and they tend to be negative emotions like sadness and depression. which causes a huge downward spiral for me.

i can't erect a filter like the DMFA 'cubi though.

Wanderer

Quote from: KiloFoxx on January 09, 2013, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on January 08, 2013, 09:51:12 PM

i'm kindof empathic, and i run off the emotions of those around me and basically "feed" off them the way the DMFA 'cubi do. in fact, the pannel Abel describes it to Dan describes me perfectly. and i actually experience this phenomenon. when i'm alone, i have only my own emotions to run off of, and they tend to be negative emotions like sadness and depression. which causes a huge downward spiral for me.

i can't erect a filter like the DMFA 'cubi though.

This can and has happened to me several times in the past as well.  A few times it's gotten bad enough that I've talked to a psychiatrist (who I already see from time to time for other unrelated reasons) about it. There are several ways to deal with that sort of problem, but one of the simplest (simple, not necessarily easy but simple) is to consciously break it yourself. You know the old trite expressions of "be positive" and "think happy thoughts" will somehow make things better? Thinking positive thoughts actually does have a real, measurable physical effect on your brain chemistry. I know, believe me I know how hard it is to drag yourself out of a tangle of your own unhappy emotions. It takes real conscious effort and practice, but it can be done, and over time it becomes easier. It also can help to talk over the things that are getting you down with someone you can trust to listen and understand, if you know any such person.

...That's all my freelance, unsolicited psychiatric advice for the day, I promise.

AmigaDragon

I'm kinda wondering if Mab used a water-based paint on his spots or if it'll take more than the hose to clean it off.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Infranscia

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to getting in a feedback loop of or being overwhelmed by your own emotions in general - I very well know that can happen.  Heck, even I've had one of those fairly recently, and I generally don't get terribly emotional.  I was referring to magically absorbing their own emotions and making it that much more likely.  Something about it already being your own energy.  I just understand it's generally not as easy to pick up on your own energy as it is to pick up on someone else's; you're more likely to feel someone when they're almost touching you than you are to feel your own hand if you hold it close to yourself.  That kind of thing.

Just my thoughts, though.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Ellian

At least to me it looks as if Abel is slowly regaining his spots. Maybe losing them was a side effect of his emotional condition?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ellian on January 12, 2013, 05:24:08 PM
At least to me it looks as if Abel is slowly regaining his spots. Maybe losing them was a side effect of his emotional condition?

More likely it's because he's just been washed down...