Attention Canada!

Started by Amber Williams, August 29, 2006, 02:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

insanekaosx

Migration completion FTW! Hope you enjoy your new home, Amber-one.

thegayhare

Sunny

Congrats Amber, I must say that i'm abit jealous. Though I must admit, that if I did move to Canada, it'd be to near Vancouver. ^^;

Congras again, glad Piff made it through aswell! ^^

Dakata

Amber was near me. :B *Lives near Detroit...sorta*

I bet you're all jealous. D:

HealingBlight

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 29, 2006, 04:17:11 AM
All you syrup are belongs to her.

Now the Canada-zisation of Mis Amber begins...

Got kind of mixed up, the Amberisation of Canadia has begun. :P

Heehee, Will we see an increase of moooose drawings from her now? Hmmm, an amberised moose would be a mix between it and a mow, so.... a mowse? Such an awesome idea could only be done on a new top-end compy. :P
:januscat

LoneHowler

Yay you made it now you have to try poutine and nanaimo bars. mmmm nanaimo bars
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Rowne

Hm, the Canada-ization of Amber?  I missed that one.

Soon, the letter "u" shall become rampant, izes will become ises, trucks will become lorries, faeries will be fairies, elevators will become lifts and the readerbase shall know both fear and confusion as the first floor of ... buildings ... will be ... will be ... the Ground Floor.

Bwa~haahahahahahahaha!

* Rowne coughs, inconspicuously.

Sorry.

James StarRunner

Quote from: HealingBlight on August 29, 2006, 12:54:32 PM
Heehee, Will we see an increase of moooose drawings from her now? Hmmm, an amberised moose would be a mix between it and a mow, so.... a mowse? Such an awesome idea could only be done on a new top-end compy. :P

There's actually plenty of Moose in the New England States. I don't think moose care for political boundries.

It's great you got through ok Amber, I would've had to smuggle you across otherwise. Hopefully you get your new computer all updated and such soon. Enjoy Canada, eh!

James StarRunner

Quote from: James StarRunner on August 29, 2006, 04:05:56 PM

There's actually plenty of Moose in the New England States. I don't think moose care for political boundries.

It's great you got through ok Amber, I would've had to smuggle you across otherwise. Hopefully you get your new computer all updated and such soon. Enjoy Canada, eh!

Quote from: Rowne on August 29, 2006, 04:03:33 PM
Soon, the letter "u" shall become rampant, izes will become ises, trucks will become lorries, faeries will be fairies, elevators will become lifts and the readerbase shall know both fear and confusion as the first floor of ... buildings ... will be ... will be ... the Ground Floor.
I don't even say those things. It must be eastern Canada.

LoneHowler

Quote from: James StarRunner on August 29, 2006, 04:08:06 PM

I was baffled by the terms he used as well. we don't use much of the British English in the west I don't know about the east though.
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better

Aridas

Definitely not in the east, as far as I know...

James StarRunner

Looks like the computer (and I) goofed up on my last post. Sorry 'bout that.

I noticed more of a British (and French) influence in the North Eastern states than western Canada. Some people in the states when they found out I was Canadian started talking French to me and I don't understand a word of it except how to count to 10 and lame stuff like that.

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: James StarRunner on August 29, 2006, 04:54:38 PM

I noticed more of a British (and French) influence in the North Eastern states than western Canada. Some people in the states when they found out I was Canadian started talking French to me and I don't understand a word of it except how to count to 10 and lame stuff like that.

Actually, it's moastly Ottawa and a few areas of Nova Scotia that are french speeking.
I've been across Canada twice (BC- Nova Scotia) and I was born up north and I now live near Toronto so i've basicly been all over.

Quote from: Zedd on August 29, 2006, 05:16:39 AM
Canadian smileys....Hmmm only one I see is mainly James loveable blue head

well theres always me to turn to, being Canadian meself.
(not to brag, but my people actually lived in igloos and actually live in darkness for half the year.)
[a point to whoever figures out what people i'm talking about]

LoneHowler

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on August 29, 2006, 05:07:51 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on August 29, 2006, 04:54:38 PM

Actually, it's moastly Ottawa and a few areas of Nova Scotia that are french speeking.
I've been across Canada twice (BC- Nova Scotia) and I was born up north and I now live near Toronto so i've basicly been all over.

Quote from: Zedd on August 29, 2006, 05:16:39 AM
Canadian smileys....Hmmm only one I see is mainly James loveable blue head

well theres always me to turn to, being Canadian meself.
(not to brag, but my people actually lived in igloos and actually live in darkness for half the year.)
[a point to whoever figures out what people i'm talking about]

Inuit sorry but I can't guess what tribe

Drake Manaweilder

no particular "tribe" (as we more or less lived in communitys of a few "tribes" when hunting was good) but yeah yer right.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: James StarRunner on August 29, 2006, 04:08:06 PM

I swear StarRunner... if you don't stop with the making fun of Eastern Canada, you're going to get it.
Atleast here we don't press the quote button instead of the edit...  :tongue

Rowne

I didn't really intend to imply that Canada did exercise British lingo with any frequency, it was actually more of a sideways compliment.  I've gotten on famously with all the Canadians I've met and we seem to have a lot in common.

There are many Canadians that I tend to believe are British until they tell me otherwise, simply because of their demeanour.  For that reason, I consider 'em brothers, they're as close to the British way as anyone could be.

Hence, whenever I wing a sideways comment at the Canadian peoples, I usually make sweeping generalizations of British mannerisms and/or habits at them.  I'm not sure whether they see it as a compliment o'course but in my eyes it is, so that's probably okay.

LigerJet

Must be nice to be with your sweetheart, Amber. :3

Zedd

And may the power protect you! *sounds like a talking head in a jar*

xHaZxMaTx

Western Vs. Eastern Canada

Ready... FIGHT!

I've only been to Eastern Canada, and the people I met said 'eh,' 'soory,' and 'aboot,' among other silly pronunciations.  Though my dad's been to Western Canada and said the same thing. :|  Perhaps you can't tell because you've never heard the words pronounced any other way.  I'm sure foreigners say Americans have accents, but since I'm American, I'm used to the way we speak and it sounds normal.

GO WESTERN CANADA! :D

Aridas

I've never heard anyone say most of those things except eh, and everyone I know has said eh (even americans on those rare visits). Some of that other stuff is probably come from newfoundlanders, since they have lots of crazy words and phrases

Rafe

Sounds more like the "eastern" Canadian accent you're describing is more like an Ontario accent.  When I think of eastern Canada, I think of Quebec French and the maritimers in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

Most of the people I know from Manitoba or Saskatchewan don't sound much different from those across the border in Minnesota or North Dakota.

You don't think people from the U.S. have accents?  Some of them are so thick, they can hardly understand each other.  Ever hear (late bandleader) Lawrence Welk speak? Most people ask "what country was that guy born in"  He was from North Dakota.  Jesse Ventura is a pretty good example of Minnesota.  Both of them have the long vowels, say Ya instead of yes a lot, and turn "thats" into "dats", etc. 
Rafe

Rowne

I'd say that Americans have accents but they're weird accents, an indie developer that I know of recently watched a televised incident in which Jack Thomson and a bunch of supposed gaming celebs argued over whether Britain has a First Ammendment (no, really, I'm not making this up).  He described the experience as if he were "listening to muppets and fraggles arguing at high-speed".  Not verbatim but similar.

There, I've taken revenge for all the Americans that make fun of the Canadian/Scottish 'oot'-ness.

Anyway ...

When one refers to "eh", there's a problem there.  Technically, both America and Britain/Canada enunciate it a lot.  However, the pronounciation between nations seems to be different.  In America, "Enh" is feared.  Which is basically just like saying the letter N.  In Britain, we tend to favour "Ehh", which is similar to saying the letter A.

I'd imagine that Canada uses the latter variation but I can't say for sure.

xHaZxMaTx

Bah, I never said Americans don't have accents.  What I meant was that people who are engulfed in a certain way of speaking usually adopt it and become used to it, so when someone who speaks with the same 'accent' as you, you wouldn't notice they even had an accent.

Rowne

That was a tad defensive, no?

Don't worry, I primarily used that as an excuse to rattle off the Fraggles versus Muppets anecdote, which I'm particularly fond of.

xHaZxMaTx

Hmm?  No, I wasn't replying to your post, in fact, you ninja-ed me. :P  I was replying to Rafe, I had only read your post after I made mine.

Netami

I've got the hollywood accent.

Because apparantly no one else makes movies.

Eibborn

*Sticks tongue out at Americans*
Amber belongs to US now. :raspberry

Mm? In the US, "fairies" is really spelt "faerie?" I just assumed it was some new-age word or something.
/kicks the internet over

Zina

Quote from: Sunny on August 29, 2006, 12:08:22 PM
Congrats Amber, I must say that i'm abit jealous. Though I must admit, that if I did move to Canada, it'd be to near Vancouver. ^^;

Then you can live near me. :B

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound, Ambers.

xHaZxMaTx

Ambers?  You mean there's more than one?! :erk