21/09/12 [DMFA #1338] - (QFTR) Plans or whimsy

Started by MT Hazard, September 21, 2012, 01:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Thus answers the question with a text wall, I wonder if there enough for a text house yet?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 21, 2012, 01:28:11 PM
Thus answers the question with a text wall, I wonder if there enough for a text house yet?

You still need text furniture. :3

Anyway, I admit this is also how I do my writing, or at least it's similar; half-muse-run, and half-completely planned.  It's a good idea to have an outline of the plot and major events planned; but as you go along, you may find that the characters evolve in ways you hadn't imagined before, as well as the world around them and how they do in various situations.  It's a good challenge to keep them in character and think about what they'd individually do at points.  Then you can get a completely out-of-the-blue idea and go, "Oh whoa, that's much better!"

Or on the other side, you can go, "Oh whoa, that's much worse...let's go with it!"  >:3  My characters would have reasons to kill me. xP

Bottom line, the most fun things to read are also the things that are fun for the authors/artists to do.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

joshofspam

Interesting how the story is drawn and planned out.

Much like story, much like life, I guess.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)

e_voyager

Interesting way to look at things. one's character do tend to take on a life of their own after a while i have the same trouble when writing.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Nino

A little off-topic from the comic, but in relation to the post where she talks about the types of questions she gets from readers... I want to know what happened to that project she was going to do after Abel's story ended (not criticism - just genuinely curious if she's working on it, still wants to do it, etc.). I realize it probably got put aside after the time-suck that is the larger DMFA pages, but I'm always curious on how an author/artist's other projects and interests are taking them.

Especially since I always got the feeling Amber thinks (or once thought of, at least) DMFA was a learning thing for her to figure out how to do a really good webcomic, but there was a 'better' story she wanted to work on afterwards or when she was ready - i.e. the one floating around involving the Mab's Land characters, or the one with the gay peacock (if they're not the same thing - I think the peacock story was a potential collaborative project she wanted to be involved in?).

Jigsaw Forte

Well, I notice that my story skills get better along with the rest of my other skills -- so an unwillingness to revisit certain ideas in the plot only hurts what I'm trying to do with the rest of the comic.

For instance, the Gabriel arc in LR started out much differently (and has been kicking around in my head since at least 2008), where this big reveal was originally part of a ransom video Gabriel produced.

... and the captured crew included Cypress and Geisha.

... and all six of them were strapped into beds naked.

... ladies and gentlemen, there is a reason it is a good idea to go back and make sure your original plots are still worth it...

e_voyager

heh very true jigsaw

I wonder what Amber ment by that inside joke the only thing that sprang to mind for me was mortal combat.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

lilpuppy23

Quote from: e_voyager on September 22, 2012, 11:06:21 AM

I wonder what Amber ment by that inside joke the only thing that sprang to mind for me was mortal combat.

Whatever it is, it probably involves Eggs, Mason, Strype and Cooper (from FA), and whoever else participates in Amber's "Creative Days". I think.

Let the Theories fly!

Drakkenmensch

Just a quick question to Fluffy directly:

If it's "wall of text construction time", why the mining/spelunking gear? Are you going to go miles underground to check for geologic stability (like a PC game I played years ago whose name escapes me right now) or just planning to escape your way underground not to be there when the real heavy lifting chores begin?

Starcat5

Those eggs look absolutely NOTHING like Magic. :wizshine
"Actually, I believe she said Friendship."
That's what I said. Magic. :intro
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah