31/08/12 [DMFA #1333] - Down again

Started by Tapewolf, August 31, 2012, 03:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

Quote from: Nino on September 01, 2012, 03:02:10 PM
You know, I notice how hard everyone (or a lot of you) are being on the B.O.B. for their 'racism'. But Abel here is being a GIANT hypocrite for asking them to not judge him based on being a Cubi, considering he also attacked and tried to kill Pyroduck without warning based completely on him being a dragon - without evidence, without asking anyone about him. So I'm not really sure if he's much better.

That's a fair point.

The only real difference in that is Abel just looking out for a threat that may have well killed Dan on sight if he knew Dan's secret. While BOB is looking for someone to obviously kill.

Chances are in both scenes if Abel was given the chance and BOB given any indication of Alexsi being a cubi, they would have both killed their target.

In short, Abel is a defender, BOB is an attacker, with no reason to trust in there own situation.

Edit: Though we haven't yet seen just how dangerous dragons are to cubi in the current time. Just little hints here and there and bit's giving us an idea to what the dragons did in the past.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Eboreg

About the whole 'tazing Abel' thing. I really think Abel was, quite stupidly, doing NOTHING to defuse a volatile situation. I think Skirmish acted quite wisely given the situation. She could have done much worse to the hot-headed 'cubi and suspected murderer than knock him out.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Lying Foo

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 01, 2012, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: Lying Foo on September 01, 2012, 11:39:35 AM
If, because of Dan, he'd have been dead a month ago without Abel's intervention, and he hasn't really benefited from Abel's intervention since the breakup, how could his death not be Dan's fault?

I'm not sure I buy that.  Destania's fault, yes because she is trying to wipe the dragons from Furrae somehow.
Cyra's fault, yes, because she sparked the war (though it would probably have happened anyway).

Dan has no idea what's going on, everyone who does has decided not to clue him in for some reason that remains unclear.  I can't see how he can be blamed for that.

Morally?  Sure.  But enough of a causal link that it's probably what the Oracle was referring to.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Turnsky

well, all i can say that this has been quite..

*dons sunglasses*

..a shocking development.

>:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

That pun was truly stunning.

I may have to charge you for it.

Turnsky

i'm just saying that Ambaargh knows how to deliver a knockout cliffhanger is all.  >:3

kztxl7

You know, I notice how hard everyone (or a lot of you) are being on the B.O.B. for their 'racism'. But Abel here is being a GIANT hypocrite for asking them to not judge him based on being a Cubi, considering he also attacked and tried to kill Pyroduck without warning based completely on him being a dragon - without evidence, without asking anyone about him. So I'm not really sure if he's much better.

In Abel's defense, Dan is of Clan Cyra which is pretty much a VIP on the Dragon's Hitlist.

TacticalError

Quote from: kztxl7 on September 02, 2012, 02:58:33 PM

In Abel's defense, Dan is of Clan Cyra which is pretty much a VIP on the Dragon's Hitlist.

And Beings are prime targets for many creatures, especially 'Cubi. I'm not saying the B-O-B are in the right- they aren't- but they have an reason for being in the wrong. If that makes sense.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: TacticalError on September 02, 2012, 03:31:54 PM
Quote from: kztxl7 on September 02, 2012, 02:58:33 PM

And Beings are prime targets for many creatures, especially 'Cubi. I'm not saying the B-O-B are in the right- they aren't- but they have an reason for being in the wrong. If that makes sense.

i'm not sure i 100% agree...
Abel (in attacking Pyroduck) was basically protecting against immediete threats and playing a BODYGUARD role.
the B.O.B. on the other hand, are acting out of revenge or some sort of justice. a POLICE force, if you will, for when the law fails to provide real justice.
logically you'd expect someone claiming to protect justice to be a LITTLE more **** professional in their dealings. y'know, have things like Proof and Evidence. not just attacking inkeepers willy-nilly.

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloFoxx on September 02, 2012, 05:44:54 PM
logically you'd expect someone claiming to protect justice to be a LITTLE more **** professional in their dealings. y'know, have things like Proof and Evidence. not just attacking inkeepers willy-nilly.

In a way, they did.  It's just that it came from the Oracles, who seem to delight in trying to have the wrong person killed if the Aary-Destania-Dan thing is anything to go by.  And they [the BOB] seem to know that 'Cubi are very rare.
That said, I can also imagine that they'd [Cubi] tend to cluster in small groups - husband and wife, perhaps.

Interestingly, the BOB seem to be trying to have it both ways: "Alexsi must be the one - how many others can there be...?" vs "Check Wildy out in case she's a 'Cubi too."

But if you really want a failure of reasoning, Wildy has mentioned the murders of several other 'Cubi in the area - that alone should make them stop and think that it might not be as clear cut as they apparently believed.  It might have been one of them, even.

EDIT: Clarify ambiguous uses of 'they'

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

kztxl7

Yeah, the Oracle wasn't vague in the usual Oracle Word riddles way, but rather gave the "Here is an answer, now leave me alone because you're irritating me" vague type answer. Sure she told them a Cubi from Lost Lake killed Merlitz, but she never said the Cubi was still there. More importantly, she never even gave name of the Cubi except the slight identification of being Cubi.

B.O.B should've used the Oracle's word as a lead, rather than end result evidence.

Starcat5

HERE is a mind twister for you. What if the Phoenix HERSELF was a disguised Cubi, with a grudge against Dan's family, be it his mother's side, or his father's?  :erk
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Gamma

*Figures I would beaten to the punch slightly.

I never liked the Oracle's answer, it would not be difficult for someone with hard to detect magic/cubi powers to impersonate them and give the B.O.B. an answer that would benefit them or their group.
People after Dan, Cyra, Destania, Jyrass, Abel or even Wildy could easily do this and send them that way either to hopefully stamp somebody out or to find something out.
Either way it puts them away from the blast radius with no evidence of who pointed the B.O.B. in the Inn's direction.
Nearly perfect manipulation. Biggest variable is when the B.O.B. would arrive at the Inn and who would be there.

If you wanted to put on enough pressure to see if Jyrass had any weapons to be afraid of, this would be a perfect way to do it. Assuming you could manipulate the situation into something that hopeless. I'm certain Mab is in on it in someway, she took the two heaviest hitters they have left at the Inn out of the game by "randomly" heading to the moon with Pyroduck.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Turnsky

Quote from: Starcat5 on September 03, 2012, 01:26:54 AM
HERE is a mind twister for you. What if the Phoenix HERSELF was a disguised Cubi, with a grudge against Dan's family, be it his mother's side, or his father's?  :erk

most likely his father, as Dan being a cyra cubi isn't publicly known.

Starcat5

Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2012, 02:15:13 AM
Quote from: Starcat5 on September 03, 2012, 01:26:54 AM
most likely his father, as Dan being a cyra cubi isn't publicly known.
Am I the only one wondering if Able has a younger sibling? Perhaps one ticked off over his/her father's death?  :mwaha

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

TacticalError

Quote from: Starcat5 on September 03, 2012, 06:37:29 AM
[omitted quotes]

Am I the only one wondering if Able has a younger sibling? Perhaps one ticked off over his/her father's death?  :mwaha

Maybe if you substitute 'ticked off' with 'gibbering in a corner somewhere' or 'dead'. I believe at some point in Abel's Story (panel 3, page 12 of part two to be precise) Fa'lina mentioned that none of Aniz's previous offspring had coped particularly well, unsurprisingly.

Starcat5

Quote from: TacticalError on September 03, 2012, 03:00:21 PM
[omitted quotes]

Am I the only one wondering if Able has a younger sibling? Perhaps one ticked off over his/her father's death?  :mwaha

Maybe if you substitute 'ticked off' with 'gibbering in a corner somewhere' or 'dead'. I believe at some point in Abel's Story (panel 3, page 12 of part two to be precise) Fa'lina mentioned that none of Aniz's previous offspring had coped particularly well, unsurprisingly.

That depends on if he pulled another Able, but was killed off BEFORE he ruined his offspring's life.  :dancinggrave

Remember, the loon managed to pull off "Father of the Year" right up until Abel's headwings came in. Imagine what would have happened if Aniz had died BEFORE his mask of sanity had been dropped?  :erk

...also, is it just me, or is the update running late? Hopefully Amber will say something in the rant-blog before we all start worrying about her health.  :<

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on September 03, 2012, 03:56:19 PM
...also, is it just me, or is the update running late? Hopefully Amber will say something in the rant-blog before we all start worrying about her health.  :<

She has, actually:

"...8 panels, eating mah face, plan to have comic done after a brief visit with sleepy-town. That said, I can safely say the end of the mega-sized comics is near which will thankfully mean that it shouldn't be such a stress getting more than 1 update a week done at a decent time."

TacticalError

Quote from: TacticalError on September 03, 2012, 03:00:21 PM
[omitted quotes]

Am I the only one wondering if Able has a younger sibling? Perhaps one ticked off over his/her father's death?  :mwaha

That depends on if he pulled another Able, but was killed off BEFORE he ruined his offspring's life.  :dancinggrave

Remember, the loon managed to pull off "Father of the Year" right up until Abel's headwings came in. Imagine what would have happened if Aniz had died BEFORE his mask of sanity had been dropped?  :erk

Due to the 'no bringing kids to SAIA' ban that was imposed, I can't think he would have pulled another cuckoo operation without somewhere to dump the kid. I guess he was killed before his scheme was complete. Also, I'm strangely impressed by how well Aniz kept up the facade- it must take incredible concentration to not make any slips, and good wit to weasel out of any mistakes you make.

joshofspam

Well if we're talking about Aniz children and the restriction put on by Fa'lina.

She didn't say that he couldn't have children in that time. Just that he couldn't enroll another one of his children till then.

It actually would be kind of ironic or tragic if Abel had a younger brother who was responsible for the cubi killings. After all, depending how young the cubi would be in that situation, he would not likely have any training at being a cubi with Aniz dead.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

To be fair, I am sure plenty of adventuring groups have been killed by "innocent" creatures when they had their back turned, and thus even if the minority of creatures do this, the risk is there, therefor the adventurers probably "distrust" (understatement) any creature that may pose a threat in their eyes. (any creature basically)

Also guilty untill proven innocent seems to be the way the "law" system works.

(credit: Gabi)

Eboreg

@Ignuus66: You mean like what nearly happened to Merlitz when he first met Aaryanna?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Starcat5

Quote from: TacticalError on September 03, 2012, 04:19:06 PM
Due to the 'no bringing kids to SAIA' ban that was imposed, I can't think he would have pulled another cuckoo operation without somewhere to dump the kid. I guess he was killed before his scheme was complete. Also, I'm strangely impressed by how well Aniz kept up the facade- it must take incredible concentration to not make any slips, and good wit to weasel out of any mistakes you make.
Recheck the math. The kid would be a little older than Dan, but still around the right age to go strait to SAIA the moment the ban was lifted. Aniz just had the bad luck to DIE before he could pull it off.

Lying Foo

Unless he decided to get an early start, and make up for lost time... somewhere, there are half a dozen youths, raised by single mothers since infancy, who sprouted headwings for reasons unknown to all a few years back and, more likely than not, with no support system, wound up lynched.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Eboreg on September 03, 2012, 06:23:38 PM
@Ignuus66: You mean like what nearly happened to Merlitz when he first met Aaryanna?
A good example, yes.

(credit: Gabi)

llearch n'n'daCorna

...also, is it just me, or is the update running late? Hopefully Amber will say something in the rant-blog before we all start worrying about her health.  :<

Should we get Ambaaargh to work up a health bar for the site?

... Better yet, we'll get Darkmoon to organise it. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 04, 2012, 08:02:32 AM
...also, is it just me, or is the update running late? Hopefully Amber will say something in the rant-blog before we all start worrying about her health.  :<

I'd say a full character pic with HP/MP, and status effects.  :B

TacticalError

Quote from: Turnsky on September 04, 2012, 08:59:26 AM

Can the site level up?

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on September 04, 2012, 01:13:51 PM
Can the site level up?

Send Amber a million dollars and I'm sure it will.

EDIT: And the amount probably doubles with each level up like in Ultima 7.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: joshofspam on September 03, 2012, 04:50:16 PM
Well if we're talking about Aniz children and the restriction put on by Fa'lina.

She didn't say that he couldn't have children in that time. Just that he couldn't enroll another one of his children till then.

It actually would be kind of ironic or tragic if Abel had a younger brother who was responsible for the cubi killings. After all, depending how young the cubi would be in that situation, he would not likely have any training at being a cubi with Aniz dead.

oh my, that would be an immensly interesting storyline to follow. and fairly plausible too. i doubt it though as i can't think of a SINGLE case when the plot went according to fan speculation. i swear sometimes i think Amber reads these for ideas on what NOT to do.

Quote from: TacticalError on September 04, 2012, 01:13:51 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on September 04, 2012, 08:59:26 AM

Can the site level up?

OMFG this this and more this. awesome idea. i love it