25/05/2012 [DMFA #1311] - Simple tasks.

Started by TacticalError, May 25, 2012, 01:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalError

I personally prefer Monopoly, but nevermind. I always lose anyway.

Seems like a kind of pointless task for a whole lesson. I would have thought stuff like this would have just been taught upon arrival, then you'd have classes on things that took awhile.

Also, is there some rule regarding the text that goes after the comic number and date? Does it have to be something amusing, or can it just be a summary of the comic?

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on May 25, 2012, 01:52:44 AM
Also, is there some rule regarding the text that goes after the comic number and date? Does it have to be something amusing, or can it just be a summary of the comic?

Not really, no.  Ideally it should relate to the comic somehow, otherwise it's not all that useful...

As for scrabble, playing against a telepath sounds like an unfair advantage unless Dan has figured out the thought-shield as well by now.
Though I do kind of wonder if the teacher is 'Cubi, since she has no visible wings and refers to 'Cubi as 'them'...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Plotting

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2012, 03:24:38 AM
Though I do kind of wonder if the teacher is 'Cubi, since she has no visible wings and refers to 'Cubi as 'them'...

Not all of the teachers at SAIA are 'Cubi - there is the demon who teaches the advanced self defence classes with their 'Cubi spouse. So it is possible that she is not a 'Cubi. Or has simply shapeshifted so as to hide the headwings - like Dan for example.

That's the trouble with the 'Cubi - what you see is not always what they really are in their normal form.

Mao

I'm pretty sure it says in the rant that the teacher is a mythos.  Scratch that, not in the rant.  Saw it on her twitter comment.

Linky

Ignuus66

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 25, 2012, 08:19:45 AM
I'm pretty sure it says in the rant that the teacher is a mythos.  Scratch that, not in the rant.  Saw it on her twitter comment.

Linky
But then couldn't Dan cheat :3 ?
As seen before, he is completely capable of reading unprotected minds. Though the Mythos prolly has a shield up.

Also I love the 2 panels, I'm guessing the lines in the fist panel are the emotional "frequencies" and he slowly tunes them to be comfortable. well now he won't get Headaches anymore... At least Dan seems to have accepted him being 'Cubi...

(credit: Gabi)

Mao

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 25, 2012, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 25, 2012, 08:19:45 AM

Linky
As seen before, he is completely capable of reading unprotected minds. Though the Mythos prolly has a shield up.

Also I love the 2 panels, I'm guessing the lines in the fist panel are the emotional "frequencies" and he slowly tunes them to be comfortable. well now he won't get Headaches anymore... At least Dan seems to have accepted him being 'Cubi...

... given that she's teaching him how to filter thoughts and emotions, I think she's likely adept enough to shield herself.  Nothing to support that, of course, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption.

Ignuus66

Also I'm curious as to why the teacher seems to be able to speak into Dan's mind... Maybe it's the skill of that particular mythos species? It would come in handy in a school full of Cubi...

Alondro

Dan has finally learned to focus his mind.

Now he can use the Force and become a Jedi!   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 25, 2012, 09:53:53 AM
Also I'm curious as to why the teacher seems to be able to speak into Dan's mind... Maybe it's the skill of that particular mythos species? It would come in handy in a school full of Cubi...

As Mao says, if she's teaching this kind of thing, she probably has 'Cubi-like abilities.  That's not improbable - remember that Matilda was able to perceive Dan's soul.

TacticalError

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

As Mao says, if she's teaching this kind of thing, she probably has 'Cubi-like abilities.  That's not improbable - remember that Matilda was able to perceive Dan's soul.

Given the line that followed, I'm not sure that was 100% word for word. I think it was more of a general observation, kind of like how people say 'he has a good heart'.

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on May 25, 2012, 11:24:55 AM
Given the line that followed, I'm not sure that was 100% word for word. I think it was more of a general observation, kind of like how people say 'he has a good heart'.

Could be, but I'm not sure, since she immediately recognised him as an incubus, and not an angel (far more common).

joshofspam

Me personally, I like how the class is arranged sets a mood for what is being taught.

Platforms in the center of a pond surrounded by reeds sets such a tranquil atmosphere.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Mao

I'm not seeing where she's 'speaking into Dan's mind'.  It looks to me like she's just talking while he concentrates.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

I'm not so sure I'd consider telepathy etc to be 'Cubi-like abilities' necessarily.  XP

Kazzellin

Quote from: joshofspam on May 25, 2012, 11:43:19 AM
Me personally, I like how the class is arranged sets a mood for what is being taught.

Platforms in the center of a pond surrounded by reeds sets such a tranquil atmosphere.
Yeah, but I'm wondering what's on the wall behind her in the fourth panel there. Reminds me of a gong, and that wouldn't be very tranquil. ^__^

I wonder how many board games she has? Then again, we don't know how long this class is. She might only have 3, so she can use the plural. :) And, does momory count? :B
"The internet is full of people who can type faster than they can think." - Jeff Murdock

Attic Rat

The board game could be part of the lesson. Some of the best instructors I've met were also the trickiest.

Fan comment here: I like the way those extra arms are attached into her shoulders. Other comics showing extra arms usually attach them to the ribcage. This method looks odd, but is more likely to actually work.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Kazzellin

Quote from: Attic Rat on May 25, 2012, 03:42:54 PM
The board game could be part of the lesson. Some of the best instructors I've met were also the trickiest.
So... It could be a devious scrabble game of doom? O_O
"The internet is full of people who can type faster than they can think." - Jeff Murdock

Naldru

More likely to see if losing concentration by playing the game would drop the shield.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Beeks

Would being telepathic really help you in scrabble? I mean, sure you could block a word or two, but if the tiles were sufficiently randomized, there would be limitations on what you could play in your hand, and it may force you into a word more often than not. Knowing the other will play whatever word they can make off of yours would be limited in advantage i think, plus there's all of the other words already on the board to work with.

Chess against a telepath? Bad idea. Scrabble... safe enough. Risk? Unless someone's loading their dice, it comes down to tactics. You can try to block another based on their thoughts, but no one controls those dice, they control you, baby.

Also, 4th panel being encompassed by the 3rd was genius, and fits very well with the content. Your work is appreciated, Miss Artist.

MT Hazard

It looks like Dan is off to a good start in cubi learning, he already has a good handle on mind shielding, hiding his head wings (and morphing them) and tentacle manipulation. All he really did needed to was admit to himself he is an incubi and not a being.

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 25, 2012, 08:39:38 AM

In this case cheating would hurt the cheater, considering they rely on the mind shield in daily life.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Ignuus66

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 25, 2012, 05:41:54 PM
It looks like Dan is off to a good start in cubi learning, he already has a good handle on mind shielding, hiding his head wings (and morphing them) and tentacle manipulation. All he really did needed to was admit to himself he is an incubi and not a being.
In my opinion, deep down he still thinks he is a being, which would explain his lack of showing headwings even when somewhat pressured by others. But he is well on his way of acceptance.

Plotting

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 25, 2012, 05:46:51 PM
In my opinion, deep down he still thinks he is a being, which would explain his lack of showing headwings even when somewhat pressured by others. But he is well on his way of acceptance.

It is easy to understand why Dan was not thrilled about being a 'Cubi to begin with. The 'Cubi do have an often deserved reputation for being monsters, amoral shapeshifters (from a beings point of view), despots, etc. For someone in his situation it would be easy to conclude: 'Cubi are monsters, I have become a 'Cubi, therefore I am likely going to become a monster myself, or other 'Cubi will want me to become a monster like them.

As for Dan considering himself a being, I don't think that is likely to change. Then again, knowing Amber, I could be wrong! :P

psilorder

Fan comment here: I like the way those extra arms are attached into her shoulders. Other comics showing extra arms usually attach them to the ribcage. This method looks odd, but is more likely to actually work.

Why would that be more likely to work?
and, (disregarding that this creature is probably magic) how would that come about?

ChaosMageX

Who is Jordan and where can I see more pictures of his awesome four-armed cow species?

Icon by Sunblink

Anodyne

Quote from: Plotting on May 26, 2012, 10:28:43 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 25, 2012, 05:46:51 PM

It is easy to understand why Dan was not thrilled about being a 'Cubi to begin with. The 'Cubi do have an often deserved reputation for being monsters, amoral shapeshifters (from a beings point of view), despots, etc. For someone in his situation it would be easy to conclude: 'Cubi are monsters, I have become a 'Cubi, therefore I am likely going to become a monster myself, or other 'Cubi will want me to become a monster like them.

As for Dan considering himself a being, I don't think that is likely to change. Then again, knowing Amber, I could be wrong! :P

It's entirely possible that Dan will, eventually, consider himself a 'Cubi rather than a Being. But the key word there is "eventually". I don't see his opinion changing much for...ooh, let's say the next century or so.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anodyne on May 26, 2012, 06:14:01 PM
It's entirely possible that Dan will, eventually, consider himself a 'Cubi rather than a Being. But the key word there is "eventually". I don't see his opinion changing much for...ooh, let's say the next century or so.

I think he's already come to terms with it, at least partly.  I mean, he decided to make use of the powers while trying to get Destania's whereabouts out of 'Biggs', and he found the ability to read Regina's thoughts really handy.  The tentacle thing... well, he probably wasn't quite in his right mind at that point, so it's hard to tell.

Since then, he's accepted that he has to learn at least the basics of control (after the Kria incident), contacted his grandmother to ask her for advice and actually agreed to represent his entire clan at an important meeting.

He might well still have regrets about being a 'Cubi, but it looks to me like he's trying to make the best he can out of it.

MT Hazard

If Dan hasn't accepted his heritage yet he's still got got plenty of time
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mao

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 26, 2012, 02:29:59 PM
Who is Jordan and where can I see more pictures of his awesome four-armed cow species?

Jordan is an irl friend of Mab's who, as far as I know, doesn't draw.  I doubt you'll find more pictures of this character unless Mab puts them out there.  I'm not sure, but I think there's a bit of a joke going on here that we're not privy to.

Attic Rat

Quote from: psilorder on May 26, 2012, 12:36:56 PM

and, (disregarding that this creature is probably magic) how would that come about?
Just my admittedly worthless opinion here, but a shoulder joint is a complicated thing that has both mobility and strength. Attaching arms to the rib cage would provide mobility, but not strength. Ribs have to be flexible. This design looks like it has a solid attachment for strength, with maybe a slight reduction in mobility. How it came about is that Amber created it.
I was just handing out a little "bravo" for a nice solution to a complicated engineering problem.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Plotting

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 26, 2012, 07:28:16 PM
I think he's already come to terms with it, at least partly.  I mean, he decided to make use of the powers while trying to get Destania's whereabouts out of 'Biggs', and he found the ability to read Regina's thoughts really handy.  The tentacle thing... well, he probably wasn't quite in his right mind at that point, so it's hard to tell.

I agree that he has come to accept being a 'Cubi, but as a former adventurer he would also see the usefulness of having such powers and abilities. And if you are going to use it you may as well know how to use it.

And besides, SAIA seems to be free to all who wish to attend. 'Cubi and creatures get an education, and beings, well...what they get is free of charge too - just a lot less pleasant.

psilorder

Quote from: Attic Rat on May 26, 2012, 10:37:43 PM
Quote from: psilorder on May 26, 2012, 12:36:56 PM

Just my admittedly worthless opinion here, but a shoulder joint is a complicated thing that has both mobility and strength. Attaching arms to the rib cage would provide mobility, but not strength. Ribs have to be flexible. This design looks like it has a solid attachment for strength, with maybe a slight reduction in mobility. How it came about is that Amber created it.
I was just handing out a little "bravo" for a nice solution to a complicated engineering problem.

Couldn't the clavicle lie outside the ribcage tho and then just have a normal shoulder joint?
(not saying the "on the back" solution is bad, but i prefer the arms on the sides and am trying to justify that  :P )