05/08/2012 [TDA #28] - Activating Optical Camouflage

Started by ChaosMageX, May 08, 2012, 12:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

At least I think that's what Jakob is doing.

Also, I think I might be missing the Jonah reference.  Is it a Bible reference?

Finally, it would certainly be interesting if the dragon race really did create the cubi race.  I wonder where Jakob got that info from and if Tapewolf hinted it in the song "And Daryil Answered", or whatever song involved the quest for the ancient tome describing the creation and earliest history of the cubi race.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Given that Beings and Creatures seem to have 'appeared' rather than naturally evolving, it stands to reason that they were created by something more powerful.  I have no idea whether what Jakob is saying is true, but it would kind of make sense given the various bits and pieces we've seen.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

I actually think it was only the creature races who were known to have "appeared" Beings were around long before the advent of civilization, and AFAIK there hasn't been much Curiosity regarding their origins.

(credit: Gabi)

James StarRunner

Naldru

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 08, 2012, 12:56:42 PM
Also, I think I might be missing the Jonah reference.  Is it a Bible reference?

I think that it may be a reference to seafarers calling a person a Jonah if he is believed to be cursed and his presence on board a ship dooms them all.   When the sailors on the ship threw Jonah overboard to be swallowed by the great fish, the sea became calm and the ship was saved.  The idea is that being with the angel is like being cursed.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 08, 2012, 04:33:04 PM
I actually think it was only the creature races who were known to have "appeared" Beings were around long before the advent of civilization, and AFAIK there hasn't been much Curiosity regarding their origins.

My personal belief is that Humans created Beings by genetic engineering, but were then wiped out by the same event that brought both magic and the creature races to their planet, which also destroyed civilization and left Beings to effectively start it over again from the beginning.  Considering how old some of the creature races are, this event might have happened literally millions of years ago.

Of course, that theory is just based on this early page, in which Merlitz comments that humans once existed, but it was theorized that their civilization got wiped out by a global pandemic.  But given how old that strip is, that probably isn't canon anymore anyway.  Still, it's fun to dream of the possibilities.

Quote from: Naldru on May 08, 2012, 09:26:01 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 08, 2012, 12:56:42 PM
Also, I think I might be missing the Jonah reference.  Is it a Bible reference?

I think that it may be a reference to seafarers calling a person a Jonah if he is believed to be cursed and his presence on board a ship dooms them all.   When the sailors on the ship threw Jonah overboard to be swallowed by the great fish, the sea became calm and the ship was saved.  The idea is that being with the angel is like being cursed.

Ah, thank you for the explanation, Naldru.  I wonder, does that nickname/derogatory term have any particular published story of origin, or is it more like a sea shanty in which no one knows or cares who started it...or does it actually come from a sea shanty?

Icon by Sunblink

Ignuus66

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 09, 2012, 10:56:13 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 08, 2012, 04:33:04 PM

My personal belief is that Humans created Beings by genetic engineering, but were then wiped out by the same event that brought both magic and the creature races to their planet, which also destroyed civilization and left Beings to effectively start it over again from the beginning.  Considering how old some of the creature races are, this event might have happened literally millions of years ago.

Of course, that theory is just based on this early page, in which Merlitz comments that humans once existed, but it was theorized that their civilization got wiped out by a global pandemic.  But given how old that strip is, that probably isn't canon anymore anyway.  Still, it's fun to dream of the possibilities.
It would be nice, but Amber once stated that Furrae is NOT earth from the future. (a shame, but still that doesn't mean that Furrea is not in the same universe as Earth)

(credit: Gabi)

Gabi

Why is that a shame? Furrae is fun to read about, but I wouldn't want Earth to turn into it.

And just because humans once existed in Furrae, it doesn't mean they were the ones who created Beings, nor any other race for that matter.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

James StarRunner

At least for myself, I have a universe that shares many different forms of life between the different worlds. There had been rare cases of creatures jumping across to different worlds. Sometimes they stay and populate, other times they die out and become a myth. Sometimes it's a human 'cousin' from another world that tells of fantastic creatures. It's how I explain in (at least one of) my stories that we have tales of dragons, elves, faeries, and the like here on Earth.

Not saying that's what it's like for Furrae, but it's something to ponder.

joshofspam

I think this Angel is way to sporting when it comes to dragons.

Will it be more bandits or possibly a new addition to their group?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

James StarRunner

Quote from: joshofspam on May 10, 2012, 11:43:27 AM
I think this Angel is way to sporting when it comes to dragons.

Will it be more bandits or possibly a new addition to their group?
But sports are fun! :B