17/09/2011 [DMFA #1246] Dibs!!!

Started by Ghostwish, September 17, 2011, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwish

Mink always seems to get the best drops. :P

And judging by the reaction, Dan's only scratching the top of the iceberg. Drama ahoy!

Madd the Sane

But Cyra didn't seem so bad when talking to Dan :< she seemed repentant of what she did.
Of course, it could've been an act :kruger
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Madmann135

Quote from: Madd the Sane on September 17, 2011, 11:44:26 PM
But Cyra didn't seem so bad when talking to Dan :< she seemed repentant of what she did.

The thing is not many people probably got her side of the story.  Lets not forget that history is made by the winners.

I like Dan, he breaks things and people without trying.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Liatai

A thought occurs to me. Why does Mink want the shirt? We've never seen him wearing one. Is it Oolong bait? :B

hartree

Shoes for industry!

joshofspam

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 17, 2011, 11:49:26 PM

The thing is not many people probably got her side of the story.  Lets not forget that history is made by the winners.

For what it's worth, the dragon she took out was soul sucking far worst then anything we've heard thus far.

Cyra could have been lying, but I get the strange feeling that cubi probably have a more of a personal connection to beings than dragons. From what Destania said to Abel in the end of the Abel stories, I would take it their a clan is as much about regret and self loathing as a clan of pain.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

RandomMetaphysics

Oh man. If Cyra warrants that type of reaction from other Cubi, then Dan might be in for a wild ride :U

Does anyone else think this sound matches Jakob's brain in panel 3?

Sicill

Quote from: Liatai on September 17, 2011, 11:50:17 PM
A thought occurs to me. Why does Mink want the shirt? We've never seen him wearing one. Is it Oolong bait? :B
What else is there?
Well, they already have one of the pamphlets so there is little reason to get another.
"I call dibs on the pants" just sounds like it would invite weird looks to me.
The documentary making items are non-droppable loot. Taking them would probably start a small war as well.

Stig Hemmer

The face Cyra shows her grandson is not the same face she shows the world, much like the Destania Dan knows and loves seems like a totally different person from the Destania Abel knows and hates.

I think both Cyra and Destania has done some pretty terrible things in the past.

It seemed like Cyra regrets her acts, but Destania is still plotting draconic genocide.

Dan seems nice though.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Maark30

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on September 18, 2011, 01:07:00 AM
The face Cyra shows her grandson is not the same face she shows the world, much like the Destania Dan knows and loves seems like a totally different person from the Destania Abel knows and hates.

I think both Cyra and Destania has done some pretty terrible things in the past.

It seemed like Cyra regrets her acts, but Destania is still plotting draconic genocide.

Dan seems nice though.

Abel's hatred of Destania was over 350 years ago.  We do not know what happened in the next centuries.  We do know from Dee's conversation with her Alexis  she ended up teaching Abel to survive on his own and probably to face his father.  He just missed out on the opportunity to do it on his birthday like he planed because Alexi's biological mom killed him first.
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on September 18, 2011, 01:07:00 AM
(snip)
Dan seems nice though.
Dan is an adventurer, that is Dan is a professional killer.  He doesn't do it for fun, though.

And on the matter of bad family reputations.
"Dan, I would like you to meet Agatha Heterodyne.  Agatha? Daniel Ti'Fiona."

With regards,
Ted

Quote from: Torano on September 18, 2011, 02:08:37 AM
Quote from: Ted Schiller on September 18, 2011, 01:26:02 AM
"Dan, I would like you to meet Agatha Heterodyne.  Agatha? Daniel Ti'Fiona."

Oh...oh, what have you done? What HAVE you done?!

"Introooducing...the DMFA/Girl Genius Deathmatch, starring:
(snip)
Not a Deathmatch, more a battle of wits.

Dr. Sun Jen-djieh: Director of the Great Hospital of Mechanicsburg
vs
Fa'Lina: Headmistress of Succubus And Incubus Academy

And of course,

Castle Heterodyne
(Which has the personality of Faustus Heterodyne)
vs
Dr. Ink

This will be a battle to the death, just not of the two participants.

With regards,
Ted

Torano

"Dan, I would like you to meet Agatha Heterodyne.  Agatha? Daniel Ti'Fiona."

Oh...oh, what have you done? What HAVE you done?!

"Introooducing...the DMFA/Girl Genius Deathmatch, starring:

Agatha Heterodyne vs. Jyrras
    Krosp I vs. Pip
    Zeetha vs. Wildy
    Agatha Clanks vs. Basement Rats
    Tarvek Sturmvoraus vs. Abel
    Violetta vs. Lorenda
    Gilgamesh Wulfenbach vs. Dan
    Oggie, Dimo & Maxim vs. Devin, Pyroduck, and Fi
    Baron Klaus Wulfenbach vs. Biggs
    Bangladesh DuPree vs. Kria
    Dr. Sun Jen-djieh vs. Alexsi
    Captain Vole vs. Dark Pegasus"

And why, why can I not think about it without laughing?!

Getting back to the comic, I noticed that Jakob's head was lowered just before his brain was snapped by the Cyra news. Coincidence perhaps, but still fitting.

tiggertoo

Yep, a real triple whammy for Dan -- not only is he Cyra clan, but he is unavoidably Destania's bouncing baby boy, and Cyra herself is his Nana. Jakob may be like that for a while -- I have a strong feeling his rumor just became fact.

psilorder

Got me thinking that i've never really gotten sure how to pronounce "Cyra".
is it cy-rah (as in cyber) or cyr-ah (like in Syria) or kyh-rah (pronouncing the c as in cop) ? or something i haven't thought of?

Tapewolf

Dan is an adventurer, that is Dan is a professional killer.  He doesn't do it for fun, though.

He also threatened to murder two people if a force majeure event occurs, including someone his best friend is in love with.  If anyone finds out about that, convincing anyone he's 'nice' is going to become a whole lot harder.

And yeah, Jakob's reaction is about what I'd expected.  Though it might be Dan's turn when he finds out why (i.e. his mother is/was annihilation incarnate).

EDIT:
Quote from: psilorder on September 18, 2011, 05:00:12 AM
is it cy-rah (as in cyber) or cyr-ah (like in Syria) or kyh-rah (pronouncing the c as in cop) ? or something i haven't thought of?

I'm not completely sure, but I pronounce it cy-rah.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ghostwish

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2011, 06:34:42 AM
I'm not completely sure, but I pronounce it cy-rah.

Odd. I've been saying ki-rah, because I could have sworn there was some whacky rule about the ever nutty y following a hard consonant, but english is yzarc.

Amber? ^_^

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ghostwish on September 18, 2011, 09:24:19 AM
Odd. I've been saying ki-rah, because I could have sworn there was some whacky rule about the ever nutty y following a hard consonant, but english is yzarc.

I figure Cyra would sound like Cyclops and Cycle.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2011, 09:50:56 AM

Now if someone would explain to me how to pronounce Targaryen, I'd be set.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Cogidubnus on September 18, 2011, 10:36:52 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2011, 09:50:56 AM

Now if someone would explain to me how to pronounce Targaryen, I'd be set.

... you're on your own there. :P

AndersW

justacritic

It's a good thing Dan's clan mark is on his shoulder covered by his robe. If it was on his forehead... it'll be like shouting "Hey Everybody I'm in Clan Cyra!"
And Jakob, nice fluffy tail

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 17, 2011, 11:49:26 PM

The thing is not many people probably got her side of the story.  Lets not forget that history is made by the winners.

I'd think in an institution like SAIA, Cyra's side of the story is a well known part of 'cubi history/ lore; It's also likely that tales of Destania's exploits/ conquests have been passed down by her former students for centuries.

Either way, Dan's in for a crash course in family traditions  :erk
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Amber Williams

Quote from: D'ymkarra on September 18, 2011, 12:17:01 PM
I'd think in an institution like SAIA, Cyra's side of the story is a well known part of 'cubi history/ lore; It's also likely that tales of Destania's exploits/ conquests have been passed down by her former students for centuries.

Sadly as it will get mentioned later, it isnt.   I can at the time probably count on my hands the amount of individuals who actually know Cyra's side of things.

I usuall go cy-rah myself.

Turnsky

so, pronunciation of names aside, how long until we see a shot of jakob in that pose, wearing naught but socks and boxer shorts, and a lampshade upon his head.  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Amber Williams

Quote from: Turnsky on September 18, 2011, 01:34:12 PM
so, pronunciation of names aside, how long until we see a shot of jakob in that pose, wearing naught but socks and boxer shorts, and a lampshade upon his head.  :P

*rattles the paypal donation cup* Depends good sir...depends.

Add a bit extra in and I can have him saying "What all be happening up ins?" :U

Edit note: Seriously though. Dont donate for that. :| 

lilpuppy23

so, pronunciation of names aside, how long until we see a shot of jakob in that pose, wearing naught but socks and boxer shorts, and a lampshade upon his head.  :P
I'll guess conservatively; 16 minutes.

<off topic> Say Amber, I've always wondered what that weird barking thing in your signature is. It looks familiar from somewhere but I can't tell from what...</off topic>

On topic, I'm not sure what would be so fascinating about the documentary of a new student, I would prefer the one about the clan leaders really. That one side arc was pretty interesting, after all.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 18, 2011, 01:38:57 PM
so, pronunciation of names aside, how long until we see a shot of jakob in that pose, wearing naught but socks and boxer shorts, and a lampshade upon his head.  :P

*rattles the paypal donation cup* Depends good sir...depends.

Add a bit extra in and I can have him saying "What all be happening up ins?" :U

Edit note: Seriously though. Dont donate for that. :| 

you had me reaching for my card.   :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

I was tempted to bid for that too...
EDIT: We're even seeing the right side for his clan mark to show.

MT Hazard

Lets see how Jakob's going to talk his way out of this one, probably going to try and quietly excuse himself.

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on September 18, 2011, 01:40:50 PM

<off topic> Say Amber, I've always wondered what that weird barking thing in your signature is. It looks familiar from somewhere but I can't tell from what...</off topic>

That's an Amber version of Pacman (or miss Pacman)
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Amber Williams

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on September 18, 2011, 01:40:50 PM
On topic, I'm not sure what would be so fascinating about the documentary of a new student, I would prefer the one about the clan leaders really. That one side arc was pretty interesting, after all.

Thats the thing about documentaries...they are probably a lot more boring than one would want.  And the bulk Jakob's documentaries are geared more for younger folks who are suddenly worried that now that they have headwings that it will mean they will turn around and destroy their families while laughing maniacally.  And while the clan leaders may seem more interesting to an outside audience (aka: The readers), odds are the average fellow who just found out they are a Cubi is more interested in what they are, what they can do, what the school they are being recommended to attend to is like, etc.  Basically stuff that affects them first and foremost.

Because the other flipside is that the documentaries and pamphlets are going to be things that non-cubi can come across as well...so there needs to be a balance of harmless filler and information that wouldn't incriminate or cause concern.