17/09/2011 [DMFA #1246] Dibs!!!

Started by Ghostwish, September 17, 2011, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killpurakat

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on September 18, 2011, 01:40:50 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on September 18, 2011, 01:34:12 PM
so, pronunciation of names aside, how long until we see a shot of jakob in that pose, wearing naught but socks and boxer shorts, and a lampshade upon his head.  :P
<off topic> Say Amber, I've always wondered what that weird barking thing in your signature is. It looks familiar from somewhere but I can't tell from what...</off topic>

I guess it could be a Pacman/woman, but it always looked to me like one of those chained chompy things from Super Mario Bros 3. You know, these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4THDnt3wSA

My brother thinks the "Arf Arf" is a reference to the chomping dog thing you use to eat things in one of the early Legend of Zelda games.

Attic Rat

In a RL situation, I'd guess somebody telling you that (infamous murderer/war criminal) was their grandparent, would set you back a little, but you'd probably snap out of it before they got the lampshade onto your head.

If Jakob is playing the role of a journalist, the reaction here could be entirely different. Dan could experience something like what Jyrras was facing.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Attic Rat on September 18, 2011, 06:41:28 PM
In a RL situation, I'd guess somebody telling you that (infamous murderer/war criminal) was their grandparent, would set you back a little, but you'd probably snap out of it before they got the lampshade onto your head.

True, but Dan is the child of - and was brought up by - a notorious psychopath who maimed students, taught them basically everything that gives 'Cubi a bad reputation, and would have eaten the souls of babies she'd tortured had Fa'Lina not prevented it.  Even DP knew about her.

Now it's entirely possible that having Dan changed her for the better, but nonetheless, her reputation as the P&T professor at SAIA is going to be the first thing a SAIA student (or graduate, in Jakob's case) is going to think of when Dan's ancestry is revealed.  The only real surprise to me is that Jakob locked up instead of fleeing :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aadarm

MT Hazard

Quote from: killpurakat on September 18, 2011, 05:56:09 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on September 18, 2011, 01:34:12 PM
so, pronunciation of names aside, how long until we see a shot of jakob in that pose, wearing naught but socks and boxer shorts, and a lampshade upon his head.  :P
<off topic> Say Amber, I've always wondered what that weird barking thing in your signature is. It looks familiar from somewhere but I can't tell from what...</off topic>

I guess it could be a Pacman/woman, but it always looked to me like one of those chained chompy things from Super Mario Bros 3. You know, these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4THDnt3wSA

My brother thinks the "Arf Arf" is a reference to the chomping dog thing you use to eat things in one of the early Legend of Zelda games.

Maybe a mutant love-child of the two, but probably the Chain Chomp

The trivia section mentions this

"In the Japanese version of Mario's games, the Chomp is named Wanwan, the Japanese onomatopoeic equivalent of "Woof Woof." This explains its dog-like personality, and also why the creature extremely similar in appearance was called Bow Wow in the North American version of Link's Awakening"
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

AmigaDragon

Quote from: hartree on September 18, 2011, 12:02:53 AM
Baiting Oolong seems awfully dangerous. Especially in the library.  :mowwink

Is Oolong ever not in the library?

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Mao

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 18, 2011, 02:57:42 PM
That's an Amber version of Pacman (or miss Pacman)

Really?  Here I was sure it was a chain chomp from Mario:  Reference

Like the above, I guess I could see the pacman ref, but I guess this might just be due to how I grew up.  killpurakat nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

AmberCross

Add that the dots are AFTER the black thing (aka chain not nom pellets), 'arf arf' which is similar to the barking sound made by the chain chomp in Super Mario 64, her avatar sig which say 'do the mario', and even her avatar picture which is a parody of the Siren Sisters from Paper Mario: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWRuNOsTyzaalGiX8ta0QY33ezIaUd1RZ_x0bgPuUMOAvjfQsaPDI3c669bQ (seriously, it looks nearly exactly like an Abelified Vivian and the extension of her avatar url is literally VIVIabel)

I'm pretty sure that her siggie is thus a chain chomp and overall she has a bit of a mario theme going there...

For those who would like a direct comparison...

=

Maark30

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 18, 2011, 04:53:24 PM
On topic, I'm not sure what would be so fascinating about the documentary of a new student, I would prefer the one about the clan leaders really. That one side arc was pretty interesting, after all.

Thats the thing about documentaries...they are probably a lot more boring than one would want.  And the bulk Jakob's documentaries are geared more for younger folks who are suddenly worried that now that they have headwings that it will mean they will turn around and destroy their families while laughing maniacally.  And while the clan leaders may seem more interesting to an outside audience (aka: The readers), odds are the average fellow who just found out they are a Cubi is more interested in what they are, what they can do, what the school they are being recommended to attend to is like, etc.  Basically stuff that affects them first and foremost.

Because the other flipside is that the documentaries and pamphlets are going to be things that non-cubi can come across as well...so there needs to be a balance of harmless filler and information that wouldn't incriminate or cause concern.

Well there is always putting in info that shows the favorable side of the Cubi, (Mink's Mom for instance) as a way to avoid her wasteful demise happening to another peaceful Cubi
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 18, 2011, 04:53:24 PM
On topic, I'm not sure what would be so fascinating about the documentary of a new student, I would prefer the one about the clan leaders really. That one side arc was pretty interesting, after all.

Thats the thing about documentaries...they are probably a lot more boring than one would want.  And the bulk Jakob's documentaries are geared more for younger folks who are suddenly worried that now that they have headwings that it will mean they will turn around and destroy their families while laughing maniacally.  And while the clan leaders may seem more interesting to an outside audience (aka: The readers), odds are the average fellow who just found out they are a Cubi is more interested in what they are, what they can do, what the school they are being recommended to attend to is like, etc.  Basically stuff that affects them first and foremost.

Because the other flipside is that the documentaries and pamphlets are going to be things that non-cubi can come across as well...so there needs to be a balance of harmless filler and information that wouldn't incriminate or cause concern.

Exactly. Remember, when you're shooting video the boring parts become your documentary. The exciting, dangerous and or disgusting parts get packaged up and become entertainment!  >:3

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Lurkie

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2011, 06:55:32 PM
Now it's entirely possible that having Dan changed her for the better, but nonetheless, her reputation as the P&T professor at SAIA is going to be the first thing a SAIA student (or graduate, in Jakob's case) is going to think of when Dan's ancestry is revealed.  The only real surprise to me is that Jakob locked up instead of fleeing :3

Locking up seems to happen to Furreans (is that the right word?) more than Tellurians.  Witness Dan's little episode when he was last at SAIA, starting here, and ending here.  :)  But yeah, I think Dan is in for an interesting time at SAIA.

So what does Mink want with Jakob's shirt?  Sure, it's a nice shirt and all (Jakob obviously has good taste), but Mink doesn't wear shirts -- at least not that we've seen.  Maybe he's taken up shirt collecting, like Oolong?  Ooh, they could be in a competition!  Who can snatch the most/nicest shirts!  >:3

Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 18, 2011, 11:28:43 PM
Is Oolong ever not in the library?

If I remember right, Oolong basically is the library.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

justacritic

I wonder if Abel being banned forever from the library has anything to do with her new dark color scheme...
Unless I was wrong Oolong used to be pink and white but now *shudder*

Anker Steadfast

Wait, wait ... Oolongs is no longer pink ?
When did that show up in the comic ?

Quote from: Aadarm on September 18, 2011, 09:35:53 PM
Jakob stole my favorite shirt!

He's a Red Shirt - Run awaay !!!

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Alondro

I had mega-lol at the last panel.  Best brain asplosion face ever!   :goamber

*Charline hmms*  Mink can have the shirt.  I want his body...  :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Shachza

Quote from: joshofspam on September 18, 2011, 12:16:36 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on September 17, 2011, 11:49:26 PM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on September 17, 2011, 11:44:26 PM
But Cyra didn't seem so bad when talking to Dan :< she seemed repentant of what she did.
Of course, it could've been an act :kruger

The thing is not many people probably got her side of the story.  Lets not forget that history is made by the winners.

I like Dan, he breaks things and people without trying.

For what it's worth, the dragon she took out was soul sucking far worst then anything we've heard thus far.

Cyra could have been lying, but I get the strange feeling that cubi probably have a more of a personal connection to beings than dragons. From what Destania said to Abel in the end of the Abel stories, I would take it their a clan is as much about regret and self loathing as a clan of pain.

Cyra didn't know about the soul-sucking that the dragon was doing until AFTER she tried to suck his soul.  Chances are she's the only one who even knows the truth about the dragon.  If an entire near-utopian city was instantly turned to glass shortly after an outsider tried to murder its protector, would you believe that the outsider had done it, or that the outsider was telling the truth when she says that the protector was the evil one and the glass was a side effect of the protector's magic?

I doubt any place (yes, even Saia) has records telling Cyra's story.
            <-- #1 that is!

AmigaDragon

Quote from: AmberCross on September 19, 2011, 02:10:11 AMAdd that the dots are AFTER the black thing (aka chain not nom pellets),

They could be post-nom-pellets... eewww! :mowtongue I've never seen a videogame yet where anything (characters, creatures, etc.) left such meadow-muffin 'treasures' behind, bathrooms (and the need) don't exist in games.

Quote from: Jairus on September 19, 2011, 12:54:10 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on September 19, 2011, 09:17:26 AM
Wait, wait ... Oolongs is no longer pink ?
When did that show up in the comic ?
Not comic, wallpaper.
http://www.missmab.com/DLoads/DMFA_Wallpaper28_800.jpg

And where is the time reference for that image? it could be centuries before Abel got there or centuries after he left. Or it could be the result of some redecorating he did, causing his banishment. Oolong could go through color phases suiting her current mood, like a chameleon or cuttlefish shifting to match his environment.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Angel

Ahhh, what a nice comic to post on.

Hee hee hee. With what Abel said and what others are saying, I have a feeling that the clan of pain has a lot more than just glassed cities behind its history.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Black_angel on September 20, 2011, 12:57:57 PM
Hee hee hee. With what Abel said and what others are saying, I have a feeling that the clan of pain has a lot more than just glassed cities behind its history.

Well Destania for one, and the fact that the glass city triggered a war which decimated their entire race.  IIRC Amber said that the war would probably have happened eventually anyway, but nonetheless, being the ones who triggered it isn't going to look good.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 20, 2011, 01:27:56 PM
Quote from: Black_angel on September 20, 2011, 12:57:57 PM

Well Destania for one, and the fact that the glass city triggered a war which decimated their entire race.  IIRC Amber said that the war would probably have happened eventually anyway, but nonetheless, being the ones who triggered it isn't going to look good.

Though it does make me wonder if Cyra played an active role once the war started?

From what Cyra explained, she didn't prepare a ceremony or anything like what Amber made it sound like when a cubi tries to ascend.

You have to figure she was practically force fed souls of an entire town while feeling all of their pain as they died. Then was literally put through a change that she was unprepared for (quite possibly explosive as it was painful mentally and physically) right after or during this transference.

It makes you wonder if Cyra was catatonic for a while afterwords.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

There is also the fact that no other cubi has manage to assent to tri-wing status after Cyra, perhaps she broke something? Or the dragons 'blocked' further ascensions?

Sicill

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 20, 2011, 09:17:39 PM
There is also the fact that no other cubi has manage to assent to tri-wing status after Cyra, perhaps she broke something? Or the dragons 'blocked' further ascensions?
The Cubi could have been a bit distracted by a war at first, no one has gotten around to ascending since it ended,

lilpuppy23

Quote from: Sicill on September 20, 2011, 11:53:59 PM
The Cubi could have been a bit distracted by a war at first, no one has gotten around to ascending since it ended,

I read somewhere it was also harder to ascend as well, although I'm sure there are logical explanations for this as well.
i.e. It's harder to get souls now there is some big crazy war going on. Especially dragon souls.

<~off topic>That reminds me, a minor hypothetical situation has been bugging me for awhile but what would happen if a cubi took a fae soul? (This is assuming the fae, for some incomprehensible reason, was rendered unable to defend itself and/or keep it's soul) </~off topic>

tiggertoo

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on September 21, 2011, 12:38:56 AM
<~off topic>That reminds me, a minor hypothetical situation has been bugging me for awhile but what would happen if a cubi took a fae soul? (This is assuming the fae, for some incomprehensible reason, was rendered unable to defend itself and/or keep it's soul) </~off topic>

One of Amber's letters from the readers comics addressed this - basically sucking a fae's "soul" is a no can do in canon. They're a totally different sort of beastie compared to anything on this plane of existence and their "souls" are too - to put it another way - you can think that basically everyone in Furrae runs on hydraulics and the Fae run on electricity.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

MT Hazard

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on September 21, 2011, 12:38:56 AM
Quote from: Sicill on September 20, 2011, 11:53:59 PM

I read somewhere it was also harder to ascend as well, although I'm sure there are logical explanations for this as well.
i.e. It's harder to get souls now there is some big crazy war going on. Especially dragon souls.

From Cyra clan page

"Cyra is the youngest of the surviving clan leaders. Despite several failed attempts no other Cubi has yet been able to attain tri-wing status."

Anker Steadfast

Well, we don't know how high the success rate would be even before Cyra's ascention ... it might be a rather dangerous affair to begin with.
In other words, it could simply be a streak of bad luck for those trying to ascend, and not some special circumstance.

We simply don't have enough information about ascending, and Amber keeps NOT telling us about it.  :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Attic Rat

Well, if ascension was easy, everyone would be doing it. And then the Cubi population would become even smaller than it is because Tri-Wings can't bear children.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on September 21, 2011, 08:31:05 AM
Well, we don't know how high the success rate would be even before Cyra's ascention ... it might be a rather dangerous affair to begin with.
In other words, it could simply be a streak of bad luck for those trying to ascend, and not some special circumstance.

The 'Cubi race has been around for 100'000 years.  In that time there have been somewhere between 100-200 successful ascensions (and likely a thousand times more unsuccessful ones).  There are apparently a number of different ways of achieving it, though it does seem to be the case to me that the Dragons have probably done something to make it considerably more difficult.  This is only a guess, though.

For the purposes of my own writing, I have been assuming from what information we have, that the process (A) requires an improbably large amount of energy and (B) is inherently very dangerous and risky.

AmberCross

If anyone here has heard of the magic island of chemistry, aka that perfect mix of protons and neutrons that will allow a man-made atom beyond a certain weight to exist for an actual given amount of time, I imagine trying to ascend is a similar case. Overshooting your target or undershooting probably leads to disasterous failure. Another likely scenario is that it's like trying to ride a hangglider in a thunderstorm/tornado/hurricane. If you screw up or even just get unlucky, you die. Cyra probably was not prepared for ascension at all so the fact she survived is probably a miracle. Of course probably it's considered beating the odds for ANY cubi that survives the process. I have to wonder how many other triwings made their ascension through accidental means as well. I also can't help but wonder if things like glass cities are a common side effect of this sort of attempt. Whether as a direct result, or an accidental offshoot of stray energy that manifests as a spell.