20/05/2011 [PF #171] The Man Who Thinks He's Jesus

Started by Madmann135, May 20, 2011, 10:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmann135

For Daryil there is no entrance like a grand entrance and no entrance is grander than what he did.  

Side note: I like Jakob's wing tentacle heads little raspberry.

Side-Side note: Keaton just had her well deserved Oh Crap moment.

( Fixed page no. -TW )

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

ChaosMageX

Darn it, Madmann135, you beat me to creating a thread.  That'll teach me to sleep in on comic update day.  You could have at least tried to come up with different title for the thread though. :P

Are Daryil's tentacle heads the ones saying "We can't stop here, this is bat country"? :erk

Are those tiny sunglasses they're wearing shape-shifted, or did Daryil just stop by the same place Daniel T. shops?

That cigarette must have been bought somewhere, since it wouldn't exactly be a good idea to light up a shape-shifted part of your body.  Oh wait, this is Daryil we're talking about here.  He might actually do something like that. :giggle

Can anyone guess who Daryil is quoting, by the way? >:3

Icon by Sunblink

joshofspam

Well Daryil was successful.

He has now ascended his clan to greatness. No one can ever say his clan is a bunch of fakers trying to claim themselves as a clan. That is if he was trying to achieve tri-wing status that is.

Though it does make you wonder why they lost their head wings at all. Maybe Dayil had to pull a reset on his clan and is still working on the final touches of clan traits, perhaps?

So what will Daryil do to Keaton? Give her nuggies? Give her a spanking? Read some terrible poetry? Just how does Daryil hand out punishment to people who have done things like Keaton?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Gabi

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

And Madmann135, didn't you mean "wing tentacle head"? Such messed up anatomy is not a mental picture I wanted to see. :P
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Gabi on May 20, 2011, 01:36:46 PM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?

No, guess again.  It's something British.

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 20, 2011, 10:35:37 AM
Side note: I like Jakob's wing testicle heads little raspberry.

And Madmann135, didn't you mean "wing tentacle head"? Such messed up anatomy is not a mental picture I wanted to see. :P

Quoted for posterity. :P

Icon by Sunblink

Madmann135

I could have thought up a more unique title but "the man who thinks he's Jesus" was good enough for me.  My first thought for a title was "Church was never this entertaining," but I decided to go with a copy/paste.
Oddly my second thought for a title was "There's no entrance like a grand entrance."

...I shall get you ChaosMageX and your little computer to.

Tapewolf

I can safely say that that part of Jakob will not appear in the comic.

As for Daryil succeeding, he's alive.  What exactly has happened is something that will unfold over the next few pages of the chapter (there are 14 in total).  Jakob certainly doesn't know, and in fact thinks he's losing his hold on reality.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arrith

I kinda feel sorry for Jakob here.
His reaction is kinda one i think that most people would have. ' Oh crud I've lost my mind and started to hallucinate.'
Don't worry Jakob, your clan leader is alive and well.
Unless he's a robot.
This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. - Oscar Wilde

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.  Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

TheDXM

Ͼ ♂ Ͽ

Chakat Blackspots

On a side note, I just noticed that Jakob's wing color pattern changed from all dark grey to light grey lower and dark grey top.  It started like this on comic 168.

Naldru

Quote from: ChaosMageX on May 20, 2011, 01:03:57 PM

That cigarette must have been bought somewhere, since it wouldn't exactly be a good idea to light up a shape-shifted part of your body.  Oh wait, this is Daryil we're talking about here.  He might actually do something like that. :giggle

Can anyone guess who Daryil is quoting, by the way? >:3

I don't see why parts of a cubi body bursting into flame should be considered unusual.  There are precedents in DMFA.

Kria has previously mentioned that cubi are hot stuff.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

hapless

You know, each time I see the title of this thread I'm reminded of a line some of you may recognize...
QuoteTwo men say they're Jesus - one of them must be wrong

I can't decide which expression is better - Jakob's "brain bluescreen" or Daryil's happy hippy... but the tentacles are one of most hilarious things I've seen this week. Even despite not getting the reference. ;)
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on May 21, 2011, 09:16:47 PM
I can't decide which expression is better - Jakob's "brain bluescreen" or Daryil's happy hippy... but the tentacles are one of most hilarious things I've seen this week. Even despite not getting the reference. ;)

Oh, just wait 'till you see Jakob's expression in the page I'm colouring now.  As for the reference, he will explain it himself in a couple of pages, when he's able to speak again.

Madmann135

I was re-re-reading strip 169 and have come up with a theory.  Considering the theory is borderline insanity... on second thought considering it is Daryil we are talking about I will say this.  According to my theory the clan's tentacle heads are no longer 'fake.'  This would also explain Daryil's choice of introduction.  I will leave that at that until the answers are answered in comic. And I still can not get over the sunglasses and smoke the wolf heads are sporting.

Remember folks this is Daryil were talking about, he's a plethora of movie, TV and entertainment quotes/reenactments.

Gabi

llearch once made a description of Daryil which I liked a lot: "madder than a tree full of cats".

Madmann135

Quote from: Gabi on May 22, 2011, 05:34:21 PM
llearch once made a description of Daryil which I liked a lot: "madder than a tree full of cats".

Thank you for posting that as I now found and read numerous chapters.  I will work on reading the rest when I have the time.

I will say this about Daryil, the more I read about him the more I like him.  Daryil proves that he is brilliant, kind and always looking for a good time (perpetual Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).  The pranks he pull become more and more unbelievable and hysterical (fortunately they are mostly harmless).  Just don't tick him off, that can be a fatal mistake (usually not but he won't tell you that).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 22, 2011, 10:17:12 PM
Thank you for posting that as I now found and read numerous chapters.  I will work on reading the rest when I have the time.

Bear in mind that it will totally spoil the comic...

Lurkie

Quote from: hapless on May 21, 2011, 09:16:47 PM
You know, each time I see the title of this thread I'm reminded of a line some of you may recognize...
QuoteTwo men say they're Jesus - one of them must be wrong

Ah, one of my very favouritest songs.  :-)
QuoteMeanwhile, the first Jesus says, "I'll cure it soon / Abolish Monday mornings and Friday afternoons." / The other one's out on hunger strike, he's dying by degrees / How come Jesus gets Industrial Disease?

I think I like Jakob's expression more.  He's normally so calm, collected, and in control.  It's fun to see him with his jaw on the floor (err, so to speak).

Quote from: Gabi on May 22, 2011, 05:34:21 PM

How 'bout, "And barking mad with it"?  It seems to fit, given that Daryil is a fox.  :-)

I am glad to see that Daryil survived.  I didn't really think that the assassin would have much chance of success, but worse things have happened.  Keaton thinks of Daryil as a faker, with no power and little talent.  Basically, he's not a Tri-Wing, so he's nobody.  That attitude could very well have rubbed off on the assassin/agent, which could lead to arrogance and underestimating one's target.  What Keaton seems to have overlooked is that you don't live for 4,000+ years and not learn something.  Even just branching off his clan was no mean feat.  He may act the buffoon, but he's crazy like a fox (you didn't really think I'd leave that one unsaid, did you? :)), and very, very far from stupid.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

hapless

Hey, foxes yip, not bark ;)
And agreed, Keaton (in the comic, at least) seems to not think (and draw conclusions) in any larger scale.
(Off topic: My absolute #1 starts "A long time ago came a man on a track, walking thirty miles with a sack on his back". 14 minutes of pure awesomeness. ;))
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Gabi

Quote from: hapless on May 23, 2011, 01:14:55 PM
Except for All-Purpose foxes. We can bark, mew, moo, whistle and do whatever else we want. We're all-purpose, after all. ;)

I do agree with your view of Keaton, in any case.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 23, 2011, 04:16:46 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on May 22, 2011, 10:17:12 PM
Thank you for posting that as I now found and read numerous chapters.  I will work on reading the rest when I have the time.
Bear in mind that it will totally spoil the comic...

I disagree. It might give away the ending, but it's the journey that's amusing, not the destination.

Quote from: hapless on May 23, 2011, 01:14:55 PM

Yip-a-de-do-dah?

I do think you're telegraphing your music, there. And yes, Daryil is madder than a tree full of cats, so hip he has difficulty seeing over his pelvis, has gone so far round the bend he's meeting you coming the other way, and, as Lurkie pointed out, crazy like a fox. In fact, the most interesting thing I have to mention is that he reminds me an awful lot of Mercedes Lackey's depiction of a kitsune.

Although I think Daryil has the Xanatos Gambit down pat, I also think he's more than willing to have a little fun at the expense of everyone else's peace of mind... although he wouldn't, I think, do anything permanent to anyone. Unless they really needed it, of course.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Madmann135

After reading a possible outcome to the comic I have come to the conclusion that Daryil is not as mad as we think he is.
If he was mad he would not be there.  
Daryil is the kind of person who wants his friends and family to be happy even at the cost of his own.  Daryil does play a lot of practical jokes, most of which are harmless and strange BUT sometimes in the end teach life changing morals.  Take Joshua and his 'dreams' then the summoning ...Sure Daryil modified them so that people died in a strange way but even dreaming Joshua knew that he was dreaming and the summoning, he could barely keep himself standing and Joshua learned it is wrong to be afraid with no justification.  The washing machine and Dorcan, Daryil was there being helpful.  And now Daryil has made and entrance that if anyone was watching would fall over laughing simply because of the shear lunacy of the entrance (it only gets funnier from here folks).  Daryil avoids dangerous pranks as best he can which adds that he is a harmless prankster.
Lets not forget the canine is bloody brilliant as he was able to modify DNA to enable fake wing heads and modify in a sexual attraction inversion once certain events are met.

NOTE:  I think I am subconsciously trying to get people to read the story the comic is based off of.  I suggest they go read it, the story is funny and keeps readers entertained.

Arrith

you know i always thought that he was Crazy like a fox.
That theory just kinda... proves it. (that and puts it far better than i could have ever have.)

Makes me glad that Daryil is a good guy.
If he were evil he'd be one of the worst people in the comic.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.  Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 23, 2011, 06:42:06 PM
NOTE:  I think I am subconsciously trying to get people to read the story the comic is based off of.  I suggest they go read it, the story is funny and keeps readers entertained.

It also has a few problems which I've been fixing in the comic.  Don't expect the ending to be quite the same, and try and forget that business about Jakob burrowing through the magical barrier in SAIA.

As for Daryil, I've been trying to think up a clan motto.  It would probably be something along the lines of "Normal is boring" or "Helping Beings live in Interesting Times for over 2500 years!"

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

My vote goes toward "Normal is boring". :3

Probably because I personally believe that myself! :) That and while the other one is cool, it's really long..... :mowdizzy

EDIT: Of course, I normally say "Normal is overrated" rather than "Normal is boring", but that's just me. :P

Arrith

I'm with Normal is Boring myself as well.
Not so much because it is (And dear lord it is) but because i've a theory about normal people.   :yuck
Normal people scare me. 
It may be because i don't know any though. For which i am grateful.

joshofspam

I've been thinking of what kind of commercial they would use to sell their artificial souls.

All I could think of was it being set to the old spice theme or the old tootsie roll theme.

Incidentally, Beings, Demons, Angels, and Dragons playing together to the Tootsie roll theme would represent what Jakob and Daryil are trying to sell so much better.

Maybe the old spice theme would better represent all the merchandise as a whole. :B

As for Daryil's clan motto. One works in short statements and the other works for gold plate having motto's on it. Can't the have more then one motto?

Naldru

I think that Daryll reminds of Poul Anderson's Hokas.  That involved a race of small furry beings who recreated the literary worlds of the French Foreign Legion, the Wild West, the London of Sherlock Holmes, etc.  It was never clear whether they believed that they were the people who they pretended to be or if they simply enjoyed play-acting.  (Couldn't the same be said of the Fae in DMFA.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

joshofspam

Interesting thought Naldru.

Though at times I almost wonder if he's playing at being more like Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth.

Daryil seems to follow that  old saying of "That's just crazy enough to work" or as in another comic said "I think too much therefore I am mad".

Though why shouldn't he have a little fun with what people think of him? :)

LionHeart

I think a good motto for Clan Daryil would be "Why Be Normal?"
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity