Is there more to the dragon's seen thus far concerning Dan?

Started by joshofspam, May 12, 2011, 05:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

With all the things concerning dragons and cubi I can't remember ever really seeing any dragons that right out in the open hated cubi or those related to Cyra. All exceptions thus far have been from the meeting between Ducky and his Dad.

Shanna hanging out with Amazons as sisters makes me wonder if a falling out between younger dragons and older dragons might have taken place. That would make Ducky's situation far from uncommon.

So is their a little bit more to the politics of dragons then just kill cubi on site or has just not mentioning his last name saved Dan from Shanna running him through before DP had him hit a wall?

Though I would guess over time and generations not all of the newer dragons would hold the same grudge.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Amber Williams

Most Cubi don't really walk around going "HEY EVERYONE. I'M A CUBI." and barring paranoia and the obvious headwings and an overly obvious symbol...most folks aren't going to be able to spot a Cubi on sight.  So the average individual who sees Dan is not going to go "huh. I wonder if he's a Cubi" so much as "huh.  Angel?"

MT Hazard

Given that the angel race is dying out that protection of identity deflection may disappear in time. Not that that is general knowledge I guess.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Amber Williams

And when you have a race that tends to live 1k+ years...it isn't exactly like its something people will really note.

I sometimes worry I made a mistake with my wording when Fluffy did that page because it seems to give people the impression that the race has hit a brick wall and is set to disapeer in 30 years or something.   There's a population decline yes, but they aren't dropping like flies. Its more that for every angel being born, about 2-3 are passing away with that number starting to creep to 4.  It's far more subtle and the vast majority of the Furrae population (including a few angels) likely aren't even aware of it.

And even so, there are still far more angels than cubi in the population currently.  I suppose that is another big goof I made in that since the comic tends to focus around a main character who is a Cubi, it gives off the impression that the world is just bustling with the little buggers. 

Anker Steadfast

That reminds me, what is the current political status of Angels ?
Are they at war with anyone, or do they manage to live without making a mess of it ?
I know the Demonology page mentions many infractions in the past, but none of the present.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 12, 2011, 07:52:09 PM
And when you have a race that tends to live 1k+ years...it isn't exactly like its something people will really note.

I sometimes worry I made a mistake with my wording when Fluffy did that page because it seems to give people the impression that the race has hit a brick wall and is set to disapeer in 30 years or something.   There's a population decline yes, but they aren't dropping like flies. Its more that for every angel being born, about 2-3 are passing away with that number starting to creep to 4.  It's far more subtle and the vast majority of the Furrae population (including a few angels) likely aren't even aware of it.

And even so, there are still far more angels than cubi in the population currently.  I suppose that is another big goof I made in that since the comic tends to focus around a main character who is a Cubi, it gives off the impression that the world is just bustling with the little buggers. 

A decline like that is only really noticeable with shorter lived races with a lifespan of 100 years or so, as for the cubi, i'd say that (correct me if i'm wrong) there's not THAT many outside of SAIA and such. the illusion is there given the focus, given that the main Cubi characters of DMFA have three clans featured with Cyra having two more than the others.

speaking of Cyra, i keep playing out the eventual meeting between mother and daughter, boiling down to "and you! you never call, you never write!..."
...in Yiddish.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

nevwyn

Quote from: Turnsky on May 12, 2011, 08:17:00 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 12, 2011, 07:52:09 PM

A decline like that is only really noticeable with shorter lived races with a lifespan of 100 years or so, as for the cubi, i'd say that (correct me if i'm wrong) there's not THAT many outside of SAIA and such. the illusion is there given the focus, given that the main Cubi characters of DMFA have three clans featured with Cyra having two more than the others.

speaking of Cyra, i keep playing out the eventual meeting between mother and daughter, boiling down to "and you! you never call, you never write!..."
...in Yiddish.  :U

Well I wouldn't say that there aren't many Cubi outside of SAIA just not many young ones. Remember youth is the biggest killer of young people. There are probably mature Cubi everywhere and no one notices it as they keep a low profile. Doesn't one of the clans tend to work as healers or something of that sort and people just over look the Cubi thing (with the exception of stupid adventurers).

Maark30

Well Nevwyn, in the STUPID adventurers defense, it would have had to have been somewhere over 400 years ago that Mink's mother was killed and it seems that at that time there was far less tolerance of creatures as a whole.  :mowcookie
:mowninja  (Please note that this is not a defense of the adventurer in question being stupid, it is just that the people of that time were far more stupid than in Dan's time.  I mean after all she did for those people they turn on her and spit on the memory of all that she had done for them.  But no venom here)  :mowdizzy
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 12, 2011, 05:32:11 PM
Most Cubi don't really walk around going "HEY EVERYONE. I'M A CUBI." and barring paranoia and the obvious headwings and an overly obvious symbol...most folks aren't going to be able to spot a Cubi on sight.  So the average individual who sees Dan is not going to go "huh. I wonder if he's a Cubi" so much as "huh.  Angel?"

actually that'd make a neat shirt idea, plain tee with "Totally not a Cubi" stamped on it in bold print.

Grey Wolf

In Dan's time, there seems to be a lot more tolerance in general.
It wouldn't surprise me if young dragons and cubi are uninterested in a war that may or may not be still going on.

"You're a dragon/cubi?"
"And you're a cubi/dragon?"
"Well this is... awkward."
"Yeah... Wanna get a beer?"
"Ooo! I know this great new place that just opened up!"
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

nevwyn

Quote from: Grey Wolf on May 14, 2011, 10:39:32 AM
In Dan's time, there seems to be a lot more tolerance in general.
It wouldn't surprise me if young dragons and cubi are uninterested in a war that may or may not be still going on.

"You're a dragon/cubi?"
"And you're a cubi/dragon?"
"Well this is... awkward."
"Yeah... Wanna get a beer?"
"Ooo! I know this great new place that just opened up!"

*Fast forward several beers later*
"Dragon/Cubi?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you have a little Dragon/Cubi in you?"

*Fast forward to awkward silence at SAIA registration desk*
"It seemed like a good idea at the time" :mowhappy

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Turnsky on May 14, 2011, 08:36:36 AM
actually that'd make a neat shirt idea, plain tee with "Totally not a Cubi" stamped on it in bold print.

Oh, this made my day! :mowhappy And I would totally wear a shirt like that.

*crosses fingers they magically appear in the store* :eager

llearch n'n'daCorna

With or without the "not" crossed out?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 16, 2011, 10:29:46 AM

either/or, potentially with a random clan symbol on the back *nods*

Maark30

Quote from: Turnsky on May 16, 2011, 11:06:59 AM

Sounds like a great Con item.

nevwyn

Quote from: Maark30 on May 16, 2011, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on May 16, 2011, 11:06:59 AM

Sounds like a great Con item.

I like the idea of advertising you are a Cubi, but only on shirts for "big guys". A "Totally Sexy Cubi" shirt on a mountain of a man.  With Taun's Clan symbol on the back.

Maark30