Artist internet connection troubles

Started by Chakat Blackspots, April 22, 2011, 05:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakat Blackspots

Somehow, I really think that Tapewolf should find another artist for the comic that has a much more reliable internet connection.

Tapewolf

He could certainly do with a backup internet connection of some kind.  However, such things are not cheap and that goes double for central Moscow.

As for finding a new artist, I could never backstab Ren like that.
FWIW, I still haven't been able to get someone to take over Dark Angel, and that updates every two weeks - talented artists who are in it for the glory and don't have a comic of their own, they are hard to find.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on April 22, 2011, 05:50:21 PM
Somehow, I really think that Tapewolf should find another artist for the comic that has a much more reliable internet connection.

I entirely disagree. Not only would that be mean... but I rather love the current style and it looks absolutely fabulous.  It also has that certain quality which allows it to fit into a DMFA-type universe, without trying to mesh with it completely.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Turnsky

for what it's worth, perhaps it'd be better to plan ahead for these things and see if you can't get Ren to make the pages in bulk so he can send a whole wad to you when he does have internet..

it just seems a more productive use of downtime is all.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

Quote from: Turnsky on April 22, 2011, 07:54:09 PM
for what it's worth, perhaps it'd be better to plan ahead for these things and see if you can't get Ren to make the pages in bulk so he can send a whole wad to you when he does have internet..

But that could mean that Ren might be to busy to respond like he sometimes does. I don't like to think that we could be hassling to do more work when he already is working so hard with Tape.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Sienna Maiu - M T

I think Turnsky's actually making a good point here...
I know nothing of how Tapewolf and Ren plan things out together, but if Ren is only getting a couple strips worth of scripting at a time, then it's not exactly the most efficient of arrangements. However, what Turnsky is getting at is the if Ren has more scripts ahead of time, he can get ahead of the game when he has downtime in conjunction with the internet being down.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Turnsky

Quote from: joshofspam on April 22, 2011, 07:59:17 PM

But that could mean that Ren might be to busy to respond like he sometimes does. I don't like to think that we could be hassling to do more work when he already is working so hard with Tape.

well given that his internet connection would be down while he was busy, that's kind of a moot point.

What i meant was during such downtime for ren to attempt to build up a production buffer: since tape does the color work also, it should be relatively easy for Ren to hopefully build up a smallish update buffer for when times get a tad lean, and it gives tape something to do instead of sitting on his hands in frustration.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 23, 2011, 03:35:48 AM
What i meant was during such downtime for ren to attempt to build up a production buffer: since tape does the color work also, it should be relatively easy for Ren to hopefully build up a smallish update buffer for when times get a tad lean, and it gives tape something to do instead of sitting on his hands in frustration.

For what it's worth, I give Ren each entire chapter as a PDF and he usually saves them to disk.  If he goes off to the dacha (which seems to be out of mobile contact as well so a 3G setup wouldn't help there) he will tend to print them out before he goes and may come back with two pages, depending on how long the stay is.

For some reason we have never been able to keep a buffer running despite numerous attempts.  What inevitably happens is that the pages are delivered later than usual and the whole thing implodes.  In this instance it was worse because the buffer consisted of these pages:
http://www.project-future.org/strip.php?strip=162
http://www.project-future.org/strip.php?strip=163

...which were unusually complex and took him a long time to perfect (plus he is studying three days a week).

Regards timekeeping, that could be a lot better. I think that like me, he has to have a deadline to really get into something.

Turnsky

here's an idea for a deadline: get stuff done before Ren gets his internets back. Dunno when? keep on truckin' until he does.  :3

Chakat Blackspots

Sounds like a good idea here.  But it just depends on how much time Ren has in his free time.

The other idea is to have Ren move out of Russia to somewhere else, like the US or Australia (or wherever Tapewolf lives), but that wouldn't work as well.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Or maybe we can try to see if things settle by themselves.
Also they can see to it that when Ren gets a school break, plans can be laid out for buffer creation.
my art thread

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Daniel Boomhauer on April 24, 2011, 09:07:56 PM
The other idea is to have Ren move out of Russia to somewhere else, like the US or Australia (or wherever Tapewolf lives), but that wouldn't work as well.

Neither, but don't let that stop you from making suggestions of places to move to. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quick profile-scan answers this question. :\
Thanks for playing though.
my art thread

Turnsky

to be fair Australia does have the newer edition of southern wales.  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on April 27, 2011, 04:21:35 AM

Is it as wet as the original?

Tapewolf

I hear they still haven't finished the bridge connecting it to Bristol.

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 27, 2011, 06:09:36 AM

no, but it has a ferret infestation, i've heard.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on April 27, 2011, 07:30:20 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 27, 2011, 06:09:36 AM
no, but it has a ferret infestation, i've heard.

Hrm. Six of one, half a dozen of the other...